Thread: Well, hmmm ... thanks to florin80 I didn't get much sleep last night

Default Well, hmmm ... thanks to florin80 I didn't get much sleep last night

After following his instructions, I was able to DL and install a working RTRPE!

I was playing for hours and stayed up long than I should have ... sheesh I have work you people! Now I'm all groggy scheming my plans for Roma instead of doing my work

Thanks for the help florin and the others.

Also ... I noticed a few things last night that made me curious.

Under unit traits for like Triarii it shows "Disciplined" and "Hardy". What effect do these and the other traits have? They aren't obvious like "Can hide in tall grass" or "Bonus when charging".

Thanks

MCM's Avatar Saint of lost causes

Default Re: Well, hmmm ... thanks to florin80 I didn't get much sleep last night

Triarii are veteran legionaries, older, survivors of previous camapigns and hard fought battles

so they are obviously well trained and less likely to wet their tunics in a fight.

Hardy, well, they can take a serious beating. I have come out of battles with a mere handful of an original unit left, but they still stood in there like legends

they are the backbone of your army if the going gets tough, and can be used to rally nearby wavering troops

hope that helps

MCM

Default Re: Well, hmmm ... thanks to florin80 I didn't get much sleep last night

Actually hardy is referring to stamina with movement. Hardy units can travel farther at greater speeds and tire less. Very hardy can travel even farther.
    -Voice of the Celtic warriors in EB 1 and writer of the original tutorial on sound and music editing for RTW.

Awsome thanks guys.

Is there any resource that shows all possible unit traits and abilities?

While we're on the subject of Triarii - why is it that they have lower attack than Princepes? Surely they're the toughest part of the legion right?

Triarii were also the oldest members of the army, the Principes being the slightly younger and fitter thirty somethings, I guess that is why they do more damage.

On the subject anyone know anything about Rorarii and Accensi? A good article would be nice if you know any.

Sidus Preclarum's Avatar Honnête Homme.

Triarii were also the oldest members of the army, the Principes being the slightly younger and fitter thirty somethings, I guess that is why they do more damage.
    It's also a matter of armament and doctrine... Triari are a defensive minded spear armed unit...
    In RTRPE, they actually amazed me a few times by their dedication at NOT routing while the rest of the army was fleeing, as their role was in real life (usually a sacrifice for naught, since I would usually run down the fleeing maniples with cavalry, peltastai and Elephants...)
    Last edited by Sidus Preclarum; September 07, 2006 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfen
    On the subject anyone know anything about Rorarii and Accensi? A good article would be nice if you know any.
    Besides this site(www.roman-empire.net:)
    http://www.roman-empire.net/army/army.html
    I only know books.

Do you know why they were never added to RTR Florin? Info on them is kinda sketchy.

This is all I found;

The other new units, the rorarii, accensi (and leves) represented what once had been the third, fourth and fifth class in the old phalanx system. The rorarii were younger, inexperienced men, and the accensi were the least dependable fighters.

Still, an intresting site, id like to learn more

And thanks for the link.
    Last edited by Aedelric; September 07, 2006 at 03:34 PM.

I think it has to do with the time frame, but I don`t remember the reasons why the RTR team did not include them.
    In "Early Roman Armies" (Men-At-Arms) N. Sekunda says that rorarii were light armed troops and that accensii were non-combatants baggage attendents.

MCM's Avatar Saint of lost causes

Quote Originally Posted by King_Azzole
    Actually hardy is referring to stamina with movement. Hardy units can travel farther at greater speeds and tire less. Very hardy can travel even farther.
    Cambridge dictionary definition:

hardy -
    adjective
    strong enough to bear extreme conditions or difficult situations

I would say it refers to both your and my definition
    Last edited by MCM; September 07, 2006 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyJubb
    While we're on the subject of Triarii - why is it that they have lower attack than Princepes? Surely they're the toughest part of the legion right?
    BUT they get a combat bonus versus cavalry. RTRPE does a good job of making you WANT to recruit them. In vanilla you got the barracks too late.
    Whoever gives nothing, has nothing. The greatest misfortune is not to be unloved, but not to love.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by florin80
    I think it has to do with the time frame, but I don`t remember the reasons why the RTR team did not include them.
    In "Early Roman Armies" (Men-At-Arms) N. Sekunda says that rorarii were light armed troops and that accensii were non-combatants baggage attendents.
    But in the link you gave me from the formations it is obvious accensii were used in battle (Obviously when all else fails) they were probaby just peasants with what ever weapon they could grab. As for time frame, the link just says "before the Marian reform" which isnt too accurate. Still, would be nice to have them in an extended mod for RTRPE, even if they are the lowest troops of the low.

The period before the Marian reforms is my favorite part of RTRPE.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfen
    The period before the Marian reforms is my favorite part of RTRPE.
    I second this! I much prefer short-campaigns where everything is hard - once you've got a certain amount of provinces it becomes all too easy

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyJubb
    I second this! I much prefer short-campaigns where everything is hard - once you've got a certain amount of provinces it becomes all too easy
    Well, if Marcus finds the time I think you`ll see them.
    My next project after that is something new, a series of smaller campaigns covering various periods and/or wars of the Roman Republic/Empire time frame. I have several sources for territory sizes and locations of military forces, along with the extent of "civilized" cultivated and built-up areas for different time frames. I'm hoping to release them as either "Provincial campaigns" for an RTR Platinum install, or as add-on mods using the "-mod:my_mod" option switch.

Defintely one to look out for.