Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: The TWC Total War Benchmark thread - compare your real TW performance

Silven's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: The TWC Total War Benchmark thread - compare your real TW performance

Here are my results. Apparently my resolution is fairly smaller than the current standard?
    Attached Files Attached Files

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: The TWC Total War Benchmark thread - compare your real TW performance

Thanks I will validate them soon. Resolution doesn't matter much I will sort your results in the custom resolution section.

edit:

we have got new validated results today and they are very interesting again.

25.08.2013 added prooved results for CPU: Intel Core i7-860, AMD X4-955, (custom res), i5-2300 (custom res)
    25.08.2013 added prooved results for GPU: GTX660 (custom res)
    Last edited by alQamar; August 25, 2013 at 09:27 AM.
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

For the CPU resolution doesn't matter at all (so I've noticed anyway). The GPU it does seem to matter more.
    | R5 3600, RTX 2060, MSI B450I, 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4, AX760i, NH-U12S |

babydoc's Avatar Semisalis

MOAR AMD's

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Splenyi View Post
    For the CPU resolution doesn't matter at all (so I've noticed anyway). The GPU it does seem to matter more.
    How could that be? The standard settings with 1280x1024 was nearly exactly proportional faster than 1080p.
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

I found another way to squeeze out a little more CPU performance for Shogun 2. S2 uses the TBB (thread building blocks) multithreading library from Intel. That library is available as open source and you can download the latest version from the http://www.threadingbuildingblocks.org/ website.

If you get TBB version 4.1 you can copy the tbb.dll and tbb_malloc.dll files to your S2 main directory and replace the original files (make a backup first). You need to get the 32 bit Intel version probably from Visual Studio 11. With that version I gained 1fps average (and 2 fps in minimum fps) in the CPU benchmark. That's not much but the newer version might even make S2 more stable should there be any bug on the old TBB version which has been fixed.

Of course, there could also be some incompatibility in which case you just need to restore the original files. I played a few hours campaign and had no problem.

Laetus

@A Barbarian: Do you think this would work with an AMD CPU or does your method only work with Intel CPUs?

@Anon052
    That will also work for AMD CPUs since the library works for both, Intel and AMD CPUs. Since the library has been initially developed by Intel it might be better optimized for Intel CPUs but since it's open source for quiet a while now people might have added special AMD optimizations as well.

Just try it out. When you backup your tbb.. dlls there is really no risk in trying. Actually, it would be very interesting to see how the newer version performs on AMD. Although the absolute gain will most probably be still pretty small (1-2 fps maybe).

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

interesting find.

EDIT: I've downloaded this library, made copy of my original files. And then took these
    ..\tbb41_20130613oss_win\tbb41_20130613oss\bin\ia32\vc11\tbb.dll
    ..\tbb41_20130613oss_win\tbb41_20130613oss\bin\ia32\vc11\tbbmalloc.dll

They are definetely newer than the one CA is providing but after I ran some CPU benchmarks, there is NO change on a i7-2600K at least. Maybe it helps for AMD only? Also tried if the "number of threads" bug will be fixed by this newer library , no change aswell. The number of thread optimisation is still valid.
    Last edited by alQamar; August 26, 2013 at 05:35 AM.

Laetus

I tried it out with my AMD. The Framerate dropped from 16/17 FPS to 11/12 FPS. I tried it several times and I always got the same result. After restoring the original files I got the higher framerate back. So it did really not help me at all.
    I used the alqamars settings.

Oh, too bad! Which CPU do you have exactly? If you have some time you could try some other TBB version from the website, or version 4.1 binaries from a different compiler (visual studio 9 or 10) since each compiler has a slightly different set of optimizations.

Laetus

I have an AMD FX(tm)-4100 Quad-Core ~3.6GHz.

I will try out other settings later.

Laetus

I mean other versions of the files.

Hello there

my tests for a mobile platform Alienware M18x R1 i7 2820 QM CF 6970M

Results with Crossfire
    CPU test 27.0
    26_08_20_39_10_benchmark1.log.txt
    GPU test 49.0
    26_08_20_43_02_benchmark1.log.txt

Results without Crossfire
    CPU test 27.1
    26_08_20_51_04_benchmark1.log.txt
    GPU Test 26.4
    26_08_20_47_29_benchmark1.log.txt

CPU - Z

PYJ-PC-wCF.txt

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Wow thanks for that effort will check them tomorrow.

Guys we are few days before release. Anyone out there who haven't run the cpu benchmark yet? This can be run on any computer. Please try it.

Just had a quick view on the logs Iam afraid you will have to make all tests again as you missed to change number of threads to 16 for your i7 CPU. Sorry for that.
    Last edited by alQamar; August 26, 2013 at 04:20 PM.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

28.08.2013 added prooved results for CPU: Intel i5-4670K, (1866MHz DDR3), i5-3570

Hi AlQamar,
    I found out what was causing my high temps at stock - i had installed the back plate on the H100i cooler incorrectly don't think it was making the heat-sink have a good connection with the processor took me a couple of days to order some thermal paste and re-installed yesterday -
    I overclocked to the processor to 4.3 GHz @ 1.2v with no issues ran a stability Aida64 for a couple of hours temps never spiked above 75c averaged 62-63c.
    I ran the benchmarks as per the instructions but got weird numbers on some lines i.e. 392764.000,748119.000,751336.000, 420044.000 on the GPU benchmark Average FPS: 56660.3 and similar in CPU benchmark Average FPS: 122094?? and idea why that would be?
    Don't think my hardware is that good ha-ha....
    Thanks
    best regards
    Nippy

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

It seems something is running in the background causing lags and so these results please close everything and reinstall drivers from my links if that doesn't help. Bios update done? The issue you have is very rare but you are not alone.

Hi AlQamar
    Closed all open items in tray -benchmarks worked fine then thanks Buddy!!
    See attached
    GPU Average FPS: 98.6125
    CPU Average FPS: 42.1652
    best regards
    Nippy.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

God bless ok it is late will validate tomorrow