Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The TWC Total War Benchmark thread - compare your real TW performance

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Default The TWC Total War Benchmark thread - compare your real TW performance

Looking for Warhammer benchmarks? Have a read here.
    Looking for Attila benchmarks? Then get over here.

This thread is combined for Rome 2 and Shogun 2.

Hello everyone,
    I made this thread because a lot of people currently ask one question:
    Will my desktop computer /laptop be able to run Rome 2 and if so what settings and how many fps? How fast will it work with full ultra settings?

Please take some of your time to participate and submit your own Total War benchmark results.

The more results from different computer we can collect here, the easier it should be for everyone to see how much an upgrade or new PC will help you to improve your gaming experience.
    Additionally it definitely helps the HW advice team to have an independent reference for the HW advice team.

This thread will be constantly updated. Please refer the Thread changelog. Main aim is on benchmarking Rome 2 now, but feel free to add submission for Shogun 2 aswell.

Thread index:

THREAD RULES

BENCHMARKING
    ROME 2

PREPARE AND RUN THE ROME 2 BENCHMARK

TIPPS AND TRICKS TO IMPROVE YOUR PERFORMANCE

NO APPLYABLE TIPPS FOR ROME 2 ANYMORE

ROME 2 BENCHMARK RESULTS ALL RESOLUTIONS

IRON OUT TOTAL WAR TECH MYTHS

HOW TO RUN THE BENCHMARKS STEP BY STEP VIDEO.
    WIP

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BENCHMARKING SHOGUN 2

PREPARE AND RUN THE SHOGUN 2 BENCHMARK

TIPPS AND TRICKS TO IMPROVE YOUR PERFORMANCE (FOR SHOGUN 2 ONLY)

SHOGUN 2 BENCHMARK RESULTS NON STANDARD RESOLUTIONS (lower than 1080p)

SHOGUN 2 BENCHMARK RESULTS STANDARD RESOLUTION (1080p)

IRON OUT TOTAL WAR TECH MYTHS

HOW TO RUN THE BENCHMARKS STEP BY STEP VIDEO. (AUDIO FIXED)

Cannot be bothered to read or do not understand the instructions ? Watch step by step how to make it!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

T
    hread changelog:
    07.09.2016 added prooved Rome 2 and Shogun results for systems: (GTX 1080, Intel i5 6600K)
    07.09.2013 added prooved Rome 2 results for systems: (AMD FX-8350 / AMD Radeon HD7850), (AMD FX-8320 / NVIDIA GTX 560Ti), (Intel i7-4770K / 2x AMD Radeon HD7970 crossfire), (Intel i7-4770K / NVIDIA GTX 780), (Intel i7-4770K / NVIDIA GTX 760), (Intel i5-3500 / NVIDIA GTX 780)

03.09.2013 added instructions for Rome 2
    03.09.2013 added prooved Rome results for systems: (Intel i7-2600K / GTX EVGA 670 FTW)
    03.09.2013 added and updated sections for Rome 2
    02.09.2013 added prooved Shogun 2 results for CPU: Intel i5-4700QM, Intel i5-2820QM, AMD X4-955 (custom res) updated
    02.09.2013 added prooved Shogun 2 results for GPU: Nvidia GTX 765M, AMD Radeon 6970M, AMD Radeon 6970M crossfire, AMD Radeon 7870 (custom res)
    28.08.2013 added prooved Shogun 2 results for CPU: Intel i5-4670K, (1866MHz DDR3), i5-3570
    25.08.2013 added prooved Shogun 2 results for CPU: Intel Core i7-860, AMD X4-955, (custom res), i5-2300 (custom res)
    25.08.2013 added prooved
    Shogun 2 results for GPU: Nvidia GTX660 (custom res)
    24.08.2013 added prooved Shogun 2 results for CPU: Intel Core i5-2500 @ 4.6 GHz, AMD X4-955, fixed i7-3770K results (wrong clocking)
    24.08.2013 added prooved
    Shogun 2 results for GPU: AMD Radeon HD7950, GTX580 SLI
    24.08.2013 fixed the audio issue on the Step by Step Instruction video on Youtube.
    23.08.2013 added prooved
    Shogun 2 results for CPU: Core 2 Duo 2 E6600, Intel Core i7-2670QM, AMD FX 8120, another i7-3770K and i5-4670K, i5-4430
    23.08.2013 added prooved
    Shogun 2 results for GPU: AMD Radeon HD6770 and 6770M laptop GPU, fixed the GTX780 results, GTX 670 SLI, GTX 660
    22.08.2013 added a How-To video for non experienced audience / edited one of myth according to feedback of "the barbarian".
    21.08.2013 in regard of some feedback I made the thread a little bit more colorful to easy reading. Hope you like it now.
    19.08.2013: updated further results to comply with the blood patch issue. Added 2 more new tech myths.
    19.08.2013: updated a lot of results to comply with the blood patch issue. Thanks anyone for your time and participation.

19.08.2013 added prooved
    Shogun 2 results for CPU: AMD FX-4100
    19.08.2013 added prooved
    Shogun 2 results for GPU: AMD Radeon 6870, AMD Radeon 7970 Crossfire
    17.08.2013 added prooved
    Shogun 2 results for CPU: Intel i7-3930K
    17.08.2013 added prooved
    Shogun 2 results for GPU: GTX 680 SLI
    17.08.2013 CRITICAL FIX: if you have the BLOOD PATCH DLC, please re-run your benchmarks with the new files attached here. Sorry, was partly my and partly CA mistake.
    Your result is valid and not compromised if you do not have the BLOOD PATCH DLC.
    13.08.2013 added prooved
    Shogun 2 results for CPUs: AMD X4 945, Intel i7-3770K
    13.08.2013 added prooved
    Shogun 2 results for GPUs: EVGA GTX 670 FTW (MLAA)
    12.08.2013 added prooved
    Shogun 2 results for CPUs: Intel i5-3570K, Intel i7-4770K (very high OC RAM 2666, CL11), Intel i5-2500K
    12.08.2013 added prooved
    Shogun 2 results for GPUs: Nvidia GTX 560Ti SLI, Nvidia GTX 780, AMD Radeon 7970
    11.08.2013 added TW tech myths
    08.08.2013 added prooved
    Shogun 2 results for AMD FX-4100, AMD HD6450
    08.08.2013 added first conclusions about SLI performance, Intel i7 CPUs and RAM latencies, added TITAN as non SLI, and other according bechmarks.

.08.2013 tested and added new optimisation settings for Intel hexa core CPUs and for AMD octa core CPUs
    07.08.2013 added prooved
    Shogun 2 results for GPUs: AMD Radeon HD7850, AMD Radeon HD5770, Nvidia GTX TITAN SLI, GTX 580, GTX 760
    .08.2013 added prooved
    Shogun 2 results for CPUs: AMD Phenom X4 965, AMD FX 8350, Intel i7-3930K, different i7-2600K (clocks and RAM)
    07.08.2013 optical improvements to the postings, readability, spelling
    06.08.2013 initial release

Last edited by alQamar; September 09, 2016 at 05:46 PM.
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Icon4 Rules for this thread:

To ensure a clean thread we need to set thread rules here. If you have any questions how to understand the benchmarks, or how to run them yourself for proper comparisons please read the following instructions, and rather use PM instead of posting, to keep this thread short and handy.

Disclaimer (in agreement with TWC Rome 2 moderators)

This thread is not intended for
    - discussions
    - tech talk
    - hardware upgrade advices
    - hardware issue solving- buyers guides

If you are interested in one of the topics above please refer splenyi's

Build a PC for Rome 2 / Hardware Recommendations and Advice Thread

or any other suitable thread existing.

Thank you very much for your understanding.
    Last edited by alQamar; August 07, 2013 at 02:07 AM.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Default Minimum system requirements, how to benchmark and how to contribute:

To ensure we have comparable results we need minimise the differences that exist on every system.

How to run the benchmarks:
    Introduction:
    There are two benchmarks in Shogun 2 that run independent from each other:
    means your CPU is not limiting the graphics benchmark result, aswell the graphics card is not limiting your results in the processor benchmark.

We need to ensure that all people testing use the same settings to make things fair and comparable. If your computer does not support these settings, I am sorry you cannot participate here.

System requirements:
    There is NOT SYSTEM REQUIREMENT for the processor benchmark except Windows and recent drivers.
    For the graphics benchmark you need a
    graphics card that to supports DirectX 11 or 11.1.
    If you do not have a DirectX 11 capable graphics card, skip the GPU part and please submit your CPU benchmarks only. Thank you very much

- you have a 32 or 64 bit Windows. Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 (CTP) supported. Windows XP not supported here.

- All Windows Updates installed (please enable obtaining updates for Windows and other products)

- you need the free CPU-Z to give us an quick view to your hardware. source:
    http://filepony.de/download-cpuz/

- install all latest drivers listed below according to your system used, for optimal and more comparable performance

Driver Download section - preparing your rig
    For all mainboards with Intel CPU, Intel integrated graphics (Intel HD graphics):
    Intel Chipset drivers - needed for mainboard devices
    source: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...A4tze&lang=eng

Intel Rapid Store drivers - needed for optimal hard disk performance (if your system is not compatible installing will quit with an according message)
    source:
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/conf...tel%c2%ae+RST)

latest Intel HD Graphics driver installed (if not using a discrete GPU)
    source:
    http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect

For all Nvidia Graphics Desktop or Laptop:
    NVIDIA graphic card drivers (Nvidia Experience)
    source:
    http://www.nvidia.de/Download/index.aspx?lang=en

for all mainboards with AMD CPU / AMD Graphics cards / AMD integrated graphics

latest AMD Southbridge and Catalyst drivers installed:

source: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

---

In this posting you will find 2 attachments that you need to place into 2 different directories:
    preferences.script.txt
    used for the graphics card benchmark in Shogun 2

BenchmarkDX9CPU_preferences.script.txt used for the processor benchmark in Shogun 2

Preparing the CPU (processor) benchmark - this test can be done by anyone!
    - Open Windows Explorer, find to your Steam installation folder and go to the Shogun 2 Benchmarks folder e.g.: "D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Total War SHOGUN 2\benchmarks"

- MAKE A BACKUP COPY OF THE EXISTING FILE BenchmarkDX9CPU_preferences.script.txt

- Download (save as) and overwrite the file BenchmarkDX9CPU_preferences.script.txt from the attachment into this particular directory.
    BenchmarkDX9CPU_preferences.script.txt

- After you successfully saved the file, open the file BenchmarkDX9CPU_preferences.script.txt

- If you do not have a 1920x1080 screen resolution, edit your screen resolution in the file fits yours in the lines, and change them if needed.
    x_res 1920; # x_res , Fixed window width #
    y_res 1080; # y_res , Fixed window height #

- If you have an i3 or i7 Intel CPU please adjust number of threads (post #4)

- close and save the file

Running the CPU (processor) benchmark:

Start Shogun 2 via Steam: choose BENCHMARK DX9 CPU

Preparing the GPU (graphics card) benchmark - you need a DirectX 11 / 11.1 graphics card
    - Open Windows Explorer, enter this path "%appdata%\the creative assembly\shogun2\scripts"

- MAKE A BACKUP COPY OF THE EXISTING FILE preferences.script.txt

- Download (save as) and overwrite the file preferences.script.txt from the attachment into this particular directory.
    preferences.script.txt

- After you successfully saved the file, open the file preferences.script.txt

-
    If you do not have a 1920x1080 screen resolution, edit your screen resolution in the file fits yours in the lines, and change them if needed.

- If you have an Intel i3 or i7 or AMD FX CPU please adjust number of threads (post #4)

- do not edit any settings in the AMD or NVIDIA driver settings at the moment. Leave everything at standard settings.

Running the GPU (graphics card) benchmark:

- Start Shogun 2 via Steam: choose BENCHMARK GAME SETTINGS - (NOT benchmark DX11 Graphics high 1080p)

If you get an error message now like ".... quality not supported" when you launch the benchmark, your graphics card is unfortunately not capable to run the ultra setttings.

Only in this case please use benchmark DX11 Graphics high 1080p

- Use the backup of the preferences.script.txt to restore your old graphics settings.

How to submit your benchmarks results:

After you ran BOTH benchmarks please click on Show logfiles in the result screen.
    Only CPU benchmark submissions are valid if you do not have a DX11 capable graphics card.

Only GPU benchmarks without CPU benchmarks cannot be used.

He will open an explorer window in "%appdata%\The Creative Assembly\Shogun2\logs"
    - Attach the latests 2 timestamp.benchmark.log.txt to an email.
    - Install and run CPU-Z and > Click on About > Save report (.txt) and attach them to the same email above.

If you needed to run the benchmark DX11 Graphics high 1080p because attached settings did not work with your system, please leave me a note according in the email.

NSA / privacy disclaimer:

The files do NOT contain any personal data, Windows keys or IP address that could be used to identify you.
    Your email used will NOT be published or passed to anyone.

There are 3 methods for submission:
    Reply to this thread in advanced mode (reply > go advanced):
    Reply to this thread using the advanced mode and then attach all needed files. Postings without logfiles or partly missing logfiles cannot be used.

personal message / PM:
    leave me PM with a link to the files on cloud storage like skydrive, dropbox, google drive or sorts. As you cannot attach files in PMs.

or via Email:

Send the email to twcbenchmarks@chynet.de
    Last edited by alQamar; August 22, 2013 at 04:47 AM.
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Icon3 General performance optimisation, tipps & tricks:

These tipps do not apply for Rome 2 at the moment! Only use for Shogun 2.

Performance optimisation for all Intel i7 and Intel i3 Core CPUs

for Intel i3 core CPUs (any generation)

This setting improves the specific i3 CPU performance in TW by +16%

Edit your
    preferences.script.txt. Open Windows Explorer, enter this path "%appdata%\the creative assembly\shogun 2\"

number_of_threads 0; # number_of_threads <int>, Set the number of threads <= 0 - automatic, >0 = explicit number #
    to
    number_of_threads 4; # number_of_threads <int>, Set the number of threads <= 0 - automatic, >0 = explicit number #

save the file!

for Intel i7 quad core CPUs (any generation)
    This setting improves the specific i7 CPU performance in TW by +5%

Edit your preferences.script.txt. Open Windows Explorer, enter this path "%appdata%\the creative assembly\shogun 2\"
    number_of_threads 0; # number_of_threads <int>, Set the number of threads <= 0 - automatic, >0 = explicit number #
    to
    number_of_threads 16; # number_of_threads <int>, Set the number of threads <= 0 - automatic, >0 = explicit number #

save the file!

for Intel i7 hexa core CPUs (any generation)
    This setting improves the specific i7 CPU performance in TW by +5%

Edit your preferences.script.txt. Open Windows Explorer, enter this path "%appdata%\the creative assembly\shogun 2\"
    to
    number_of_threads 32; # number_of_threads <int>, Set the number of threads <= 0 - automatic, >0 = explicit number #

Performance optimisation for all AMD CPUs

for AMD hexa core CPUs (any generation)
    This setting improves the specific AMD hexa CPU performance in TW by +3%

to
    number_of_threads 6; # number_of_threads <int>, Set the number of threads <= 0 - automatic, >0 = explicit number #

for AMD octa core CPUs (any generation)

This setting improves the specific AMD octa CPU performance in TW by +3%

to
    number_of_threads 16; # number_of_threads <int>, Set the number of threads <= 0 - automatic, >0 = explicit number #

Performance optimization for all NVIDIA graphics card users - please don't use this settings for the benchmarking.

these settings remove tearing and increases graphics performance in TW up to +45%

Use the general settings panel, so you do not need to set this in all games seperately.

If you use this settings please obeye:
    - DO NOT disable vsync in your game, as the driver settings will not override the settings if VSYNC is turned off (tested via fraps)
    - DISABLE Antialiasing and Anisotropic filtering in the game settings (Shogun 2, Civ5 etc).
    - DO NOT use Nvidia Experience as he is overriding your manual settings, like turning off MSAA etc.

FXAA is the best filtering method at the moment. Cons: Screenshots are not filtered as this is an post processing effect, some game respond with a blurry text.
    non standard settings are marked

Anisotropic Filtering: 16x
    Ambient Occlusion : Quality
    (leave standard setting on entry or laptop graphics)
    Anisotropic filtering: Application-controlled
    Antialiasing - FXAA: On (only set this on program related settings, as some Windows Applications will get blurry (Office 2013, Messenger, Firefox)
    Antialiasing - Gamma correction: On
    Antialiasing - Mode: Application-controlled
    Antialiasing - Setting: Application-controlled
    Antialiasing - Transparency: 4x / 8x Supersampling (leave it disabled if you have an entry card or laptop. Test this settings and lower or turn off if it causes low FPS. )
    CUDA - GPUs: All
    Maximum pre-rendered frames: leave standard settings

Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration: Single display performance mode (if you have a single monitor)
    Power management mode: Adaptive
    Texture filtering - Anisotropic sample optimization: Off
    Texture Filtering Quality: high quality (leave standard setting on entry or laptop graphics)
    Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias: Clamp
    Texture filtering - Trilinear oprimization: On
    Threaded optimization: Auto
    Tripple buffering: On
    Vertical sync: Adaptive (This offers a brilliant mix of non tearing and performance)

other settings and AMD settings are work in progress. be patient. This section will be updated soon
    Last edited by alQamar; September 04, 2013 at 08:50 AM.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Default SHOGUN 2 Benchmark results - CUSTOM SCREEN RESOLUTIONS

CPU Benchmarks (processor speed, used by Warscape battle engine and unit movements, pathfinding, number of units on the field, in Total War):

AMD:
    8 core CPUs without hyperthreading technology:

4 core CPUs without hyperthreading technology:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor, 3,8 GHz, @1600X1200; Denep, 45nm lithography, 125 Watts TDP, DDR3 1333 MHz CL9-9-9-24, Dual Channel: 23 FPS
    AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor, 3,2 GHz, @1680X1050 Denep, 45nm lithography, 125 Watts TDP, DDR3 1600 MHz CL11-11-11-24, Dual Channel: 19 FPS

Intel:
    6 core CPUs with hyperthreading technology:

4 core CPUs with
    hyperthreading technology:
    Intel i7-2600K, 3,8 GHz, @1280x1024, Sandy Bridge, 32nm lithography, 95 Watts TDP, DDR3 1333 MHz CL9, Dual Channel: 30 FPS

Intel Core i5-2300, 3,1 GHz, @1600x900 Sandy Bridge B3, 32nm lithography, 95 Watts TDP, DDR3 1600 MHz CL9-9-9-24, Dual Channel: 26 FPS

2 core CPUs with hyperthreading technology:

Intel i5-3317U Laptop CPU, 2,4 GHz @1366x768, Ivy Bridge, 22nm lithography, 17 Watts TDP, MDDR3 1600 MHz CL9, Dual Channel: 10 FPS

GPU Benchmarks
    (graphics card speed used by Warscape graphics engine to display your graphics settings):

AMD:
    non crossfire:
    AMD Radeon HD 7870, @1680x1050 (MLAA): 62 FPS

crossfire:

Intel HD (integrated graphics):
    Intel HD 4000,
    @1366x768 MDDR3 1600 MHz CL9, Dual Channel: 7 FPS (highest settings possible)
    Intel HD 4000, @1366x768 MDDR3 1600 MHz CL9, Dual Channel: 21 FPS (automatic settings by game (low quality))

NVIDIA:
    non SLI:

EVGA GTX 760 SC @1280x1024 (FXAA): 87 fps
    NVIDIA GTX 760 @1600x1200 (MLAA): 67 fps
    NVIDIA GTX 660 @1600x900 (MLAA): 70 fps

SLI:

Last edited by alQamar; September 23, 2013 at 01:58 AM.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Default SHOGUN 2 Benchmark results by vendors [1080p (1920x1080) resolution only]

CPU Benchmarks (processor speed, used by Warscape battle engine and unit movements, pathfinding, number of units on the field, in Total War):

AMD:
    8 core CPUs without hyperthreading technology:
    AMD FX-8350, 5,0 GHz, Vishera, 32nm lithography, 125 Watts TDP, DDR3 1333 MHz CL9, Dual Channel: 31 FPS (with thread tweak "32" for octa core AMD, no blood patch)
    AMD FX-8350, 5,0 GHz, Vishera, 32nm lithography, 125 Watts TDP, DDR3 1333 MHz CL9, Dual Channel: 25 FPS (with blood patch)
    AMD FX-8350, 5,0 GHz, Vishera, 32nm lithography, 125 Watts TDP, DDR3 1333 MHz CL9, Dual Channel: 24 FPS (with blood patch and no "thread tweak")
    AMD FX-8120, 3,9 GHz, Zambezi, 32nm lithography, 124 Watts TDP, DDR3 1600 MHz CL9-9-9-24, Dual Channel: 18 FPS

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor, 3,8 GHz, Denep, 45nm lithography, 125 Watts TDP, DDR3 1600 MHz CL8-8-8-24, Dual Channel: 22 FPS
    AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor, 3,4 GHz, Denep, 45nm lithography, 125 Watts TDP, DDR3 1600 MHz CL8-8-8-24, Dual Channel: 21 FPS
    AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor, 3,4 GHz, Denep, 45nm lithography, 125 Watts TDP, DDR3 1333 MHz CL9-9-9-24, Dual Channel: 20 FPS
    AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor, 3,4 GHz, Denep, 45nm lithography, 125 Watts TDP, DDR3 1333 MHz CL9-9-9-24, Dual Channel: 17 FPS (3 FPS drop with secondary screen attached)
    AMD Phenom II X4 945 Processor, 3,0 GHz, Denep, 45nm lithography, 96 Watts TDP, DDR3 1600 MHz CL9, Dual Channel: 15 FPS

AMD FX-4100, 3.6 GHz, Zambezi, 32nm lithography, 95 Watts TDP, DDR3 1066 MHz CL9-9-9-24, Dual Channel: 18 fps
    AMD FX-4100, 3.6 GHz, Zambezi, 32nm lithography, 95 Watts TDP, DDR3 1066 MHz CL9-9-9-24, Dual Channel: 16 fps (with blood pack DLC)
    AMD FX-4100, 3.6 GHz, Zambezi, 32nm lithography, 95 Watts TDP, DDR3 1066 MHz CL7-7-7-221, Dual Channel: 11fps (with blood pack DLC)

Intel:
    6 core CPUs with hyperthreading technology:
    Intel Core i7-3930K, 4,6 GHz, Sandy Bridge-E, 32nm lithography, 130 Watts TDP, DDR3 1866 MHz CL9-10-9-28, Quad Channel: 46 FPS
    Intel Core i7-3930K, 4,2 GHz, Sandy Bridge-E, 32nm lithography, 130 Watts TDP, DDR3 1333 MHz CL7-8-8-23, Quad Channel: 43 FPS
    Intel Core
    i7-3930K, 4,2 GHz, Sandy Bridge-E, 32nm lithography, 130 Watts TDP, DDR3 1333 MHz CL9-9-9-25, Quad Channel: 41 FPS

4 core CPUs with
    hyperthreading technology:

Intel Core i7-4770K, 4,5 GHz, Haswell C1, 22nm lithography, 84 Watts TDP, DDR3 2666 MHz CL11-13-13-35, Dual Channel: 52 FPS
    Intel Core i7-4770K, 4,5 GHz, Haswell C1, 22nm lithography, 84 Watts TDP, DDR3 1666 MHz CL11-13-13-35, Dual Channel: 49 FPS
    Intel Core i7-4770K, 4,2 GHz, Haswell C1, 22nm lithography, 84 Watts TDP, DDR3 1866 MHz CL9-10-9-30, Dual Channel: 48 FPS
    Intel Core i7-4770K, 4,2 GHz, Haswell C1, 22nm lithography, 84 Watts TDP, DDR3 1800 MHz CL9-10-9-27, Dual Channel: 42 FPS
    Intel Core i7-4770K, 4,2 GHz, Haswell C1, 22nm lithography, 84 Watts TDP, DDR3 1800 MHz CL9-10-9-27, Dual Channel: 40 FPS (without "number of thread" optimisation)
    Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 3.4 GHz, Haswell C1, 22nm lithography, 47 Watts TDP, DDR3L 1600 MHz CL11-11-11-28, Single Channel: 24 FPS (MSI G70 laptop)

Intel
    Core i7-3770K, 4,5 GHz, Ivy Bridge, 22nm lithography, 77 Watts TDP, DDR3 1333 MHz CL7-7-7-21, Dual Channel: 40 FPS
    Intel Core i7-3770K, 4,5 GHz, Ivy Bridge, 22nm lithography, 77 Watts TDP, DDR3 1333 MHz CL9-9-9-24, Dual Channel: 38 FPS

Intel Core i7-2820QM, 3,4 GHz, Sandy Bridge, 32nm lithography, 72 Watts TDP, DDR3 1600 MHz CL11-11-11-28, Dual Channel: 27 FPS (Alienware M18xR1 laptop)
    Intel Core i7-2670QM, 2,7 GHz, Sandy Bridge, 32nm lithography, 45 Watts TDP, DDR3 1333 MHz CL9-9-9-24, Dual Channel: 22 FPS
    Intel Core i7-2600K, 4,5 GHz, Sandy Bridge B3, 32nm lithography, 95 Watts TDP, DDR3L 1600 MHz CL9-9-9-24, Dual Channel: 43 FPS
    Intel Core i7-2600K, 4,5 GHz, Sandy Bridge B3, 32nm lithography, 95 Watts TDP, DDR3L 1600 MHz CL8-8-8-20, Dual Channel: 38 FPS
    Intel Core i7-2600K, 4,5 GHz, Sandy Bridge B3, 32nm lithography, 95 Watts TDP, DDR3L 1333 MHz CL9-9-9-24, Dual Channel: 38 FPS
    Intel Core i7-2600K, 4,5 GHz, Sandy Bridge B3, 32nm lithography, 95 Watts TDP, DDR3L1066 MHz CL7-7-7-21, Dual Channel: 36 FPS

Intel Core i7-860, 4,0 GHz, Lynfield, 45nm lithography, 95 Watts TDP, DDR3 1600 MHz CL8-9-9-24, Dual Channel: 35 FPS
    Intel Core i7-860, 3,5 GHz, Lynfield, 45nm lithography, 95 Watts TDP, DDR3 1333 MHz CL9-9-9-24, Dual Channel: 22 FPS

Intel Core i5-6600K, 4,6 GHz, Skylake R1, 14nm lithography, 95 Watts TDP, DDR4 2666 MHz CL13-15-15-34, Dual Channel: 42 FPS
    Intel Core
    i5-4670K, 4,1 GHz, Haswell C1, 22nm lithography, 84 Watts TDP, DDR3 1600 MHz CL9-9-9-24, Dual Channel: 42 FPS
    Intel Core
    i5-4670K, 4,3 GHz, Haswell C1, 22nm lithography, 84 Watts TDP, DDR3 1833 MHz CL9-10-9-27, Dual Channel: 45 FPS
    Intel Core i5-4670K, 4,1 GHz, Haswell C1, 22nm lithography, 84 Watts TDP, DDR3 1600 MHz CL9-9-9-24, Dual Channel: 42 FPS
    Intel Core i5-4670K, 4,4 GHz, Haswell C1, 22nm lithography, 84 Watts TDP, DDR3 1333 MHz CL9-9-9-24, Dual Channel: 41 FPS (slow RAM impact is significant normally should have 46-47 fps)
    Intel Core
    i5-4430K, 3,0 GHz, Haswell C1, 22nm lithography, 84 Watts TDP, DDR3 1600 MHz CL10-10-10-27, Dual Channel: 30 FPS

Intel Core i5-3570K, 4,5 GHz, Ivy Bridge, 22nm lithography, 67 Watts TDP, DDR3 1600 MHz CL9-9-9-27, Dual Channel: 41 FPS
    Intel Core i5-3570K, 4,2 GHz, Ivy Bridge, 22nm lithography, 67 Watts TDP, DDR3 1600 MHz CL9-9-9-27, Dual Channel: 36 FPS
    Intel
    Core i5-3570K, 4,2 GHz, Ivy Bridge, 22nm lithography, 67 Watts TDP, DDR3 1333 MHz CL9-9-9-27, Dual Channel: 30 FPS (with blood pack DLC)
    Intel Core i5-3570, 3,4 GHz, Ivy Bridge, 22nm lithography, 67 Watts TDP, DDR3 1600 MHz CL11-11-11-29, Dual Channel: 34 FPS

Intel Core i5-2500K, 4,6 GHz, Sandy Bridge B3, 32nm lithography, 95 Watts TDP, DDR3 1600 MHz CL9-9-9-27, Dual Channel: 41 FPS
    Intel Core i5-2500K, 4,5 GHz, Sandy Bridge B3, 32nm lithography, 95 Watts TDP, DDR3 1600 MHz CL8-8-8-24, Dual Channel: 35 FPS
    Intel Core i5-2500K, 4,5 GHz, Sandy Bridge B3, 32nm lithography, 95 Watts TDP, DDR3 1600 MHz CL8-8-8-24, Dual Channel: 30 FPS (with blood pack DLC)

2 core CPUs without hyperthreading technology:

Intel Core Duo E6600, 2,4 GHz, Conroe, 65nm lithography, 65 Watts TDP, DDR2 666 MHz CL5-5-5-15, Dual Channel: 9 FPS
    Intel Core Duo E6600, 2,4 GHz, Conroe, 65nm lithography, 65 Watts TDP, DDR2 400 MHz CL3-3-3-9, Dual Channel: 9 FPS

GPU Benchmarks
    (graphics card speed used by Warscape graphics engine to display your graphics settings):

AMD:
    non crossfire:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 (MLAA): 83 FPS
    Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 (MLAA): 79 FPSSapphire Radeon HD 7850 (MLAA): 44 FPS
    AMD Radeon HD 6870 (MLAA): 41 FPS
    AMD Radeon HD 5770
    (MLAA): 25 FPS
    AMD Radeon HD 6970M (laptop GPU, MLAA): 26 FPS
    AMD Radeon HD 6770M
    (laptop GPU, MLAA): 13 FPS

AMD Radeon HD 6770
    (1080 high preset, ultra didn't work, MLAA): 13 FPS

AMD Radeon HD 6450 (1080 high preset, ultra didn't work, MLAA): 5 FPS

crossfire:
    2x Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 (MLAA): 145 FPS
    2x AMD Radeon HD 6970M (laptop GPU, MLAA): 49 FPS

Intel HD:

NVIDIA:
    non SLI:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 (MLAA): 199 fps

NVIDIA GTX TITAN (MLAA): 106 fps
    NVIDIA GTX 780 (MLAA): 110 fps
    EVGA GTX 770 SC ACX (FXAA): 84 fps
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW (FXAA): 77 fps
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW (MLAA): 71 fps (latest beta drivers 326.80)
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW (MLAA): 67 fps
    NVIDIA GTX 660 (MLAA): 53 fps
    NVIDIA GTX 580 (MLAA): 49 fps
    NVIDIA GTX 765M (FXAA, single channel RAM mid end laptop graphics): 30 fps
    NVIDIA GTX 765M (MLAA, single channel RAM mid end laptop graphics): 30 fps

SLI:

2x NVIDIA GTX TITAN (MLAA): 146 fps
    2x NVIDIA GTX 680 (MLAA): 135 fps
    2x NVIDIA GTX 670 (MLAA): 112 fps
    2x NVIDIA GTX 580 (MLAA): 87 fps
    2x NVIDIA GTX 560Ti (MLAA): 57 fps

*result and validation pending for non blood patch.
    Last edited by alQamar; September 05, 2016 at 03:31 PM.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: The TWC Total War Benchmark thread - compare your real TW performance

Conclusions:

Disabling hyperthreading gives advantages in Total War IF you use an SLI configuration:

Thanks to extensive benchmarking by boxleitner, we come to the fact that disabling Hyperthreading on i7 CPUs i Shogun 2, while using the mentioned "thread limit" enchancement, gives you the best performance. This is really odd, as literally you better would have bought an i5 instead of i7 when it comes to Total War.

The differences are as following:
    145 FPS with an hexa (6) core i7 and 2x TITAN SLI with hyperthreading enabled and modified 32 threads setting in the preferences.script.txt (refer post #4)
    152 FPS with an hexa (6) core i7 and 2x TITAN SLI with hyperthreading disabled and modified 32 threads setting in the preferences.script.txt
    (refer post #4)

WHILE

106 FPS with an hexa (6) core i7 and 1x TITAN with hyperthreading enabled and modified 32 threads setting in the preferences.script.txt (refer post #4)
    106 FPS with an hexa (6) core i7 and 1x TITAN with hyperthreading disabled and modified 32 threads setting in the preferences.script.txt (refer post #4)

DDR3 RAM on Intel CPUs do profit more on lower latencies than on higher clockings:
    DDR3 RAM with 1333 MHz on Intel is not generally slower, but even faster than 1600 MHz, if the 1600 MHz modules running CL9 and the 1333 MHz running CL7.
    The performance difference on CL7 to CL9 RAM on the same speed (1333 MHz) gives a benefit of nearly 4%. Of course a 1600 MHz RAM with CL7 would be in advantage over 1333 MHz CL7.
    So if you aim for higher clocked RAM please take the lowest CL available. Comparing price and performance leap there is no fault to recommend 1866 CL9 or 1333 CL7 RAM.

Comparison 1 - Scenario: Very Expensive high OC RAM / versus cheap (nearly) standard clocking RAM):
    Intel Core i7-4770K, 4,5 GHz, Haswell, 22nm lithography, 84 Watts TDP, DDR3 2666 MHz CL11, Dual Channel: 52 FPS (66% more clocking but only +6% more performance, not speaking about the price)
    Intel Core i7-4770K, 4,5 GHz, Haswell, 22nm lithography, 84 Watts TDP, DDR3 1666 MHz CL11, Dual Channel: 49 FPS
    1600 MHz CL9 would be even faster than 49 FPS. So the prooven High OC RAM is a waste of money.

Comparison 2 - Scenario: Same RAM type with different clockings and latencies / comparing different clockings and latencies
    Intel Core i7-2600K, 4,5 GHz, Sandy Bridge, 32nm lithography, 95 Watts TDP, DDR3 1600 MHz CL9, Dual Channel: 43 FPS (+13% more performance comparing to 1333 MHz CL9 / 20% to 1066 MHz CL7)
    Intel Core i7-2600K, 4,5 GHz, Sandy Bridge, 32nm lithography, 95 Watts TDP, DDR3 1333 MHz CL9, Dual Channel: 38 FPS (+6% more performance comparing to 1066 MHz CL7)
    Intel Core i7-2600K, 4,5 GHz, Sandy Bridge, 32nm lithography, 95 Watts TDP, DDR3 1066 MHz CL7, Dual Channel: 36 FPS

Comparison 3: - Scenario: Same RAM type with different clockings and latencies / comparing different latency at same clocking
    Intel Core i7-3930K, 4,2 GHz, Sandy Bridge-E, 32nm lithography, 130 Watts TDP, DDR3 1333 MHz CL7, Quad Channel: 43 FPS (+6% more performance comparing to 1066 MHz CL7)
    Intel Core i7-3930K, 4,2 GHz, Sandy Bridge-E, 32nm lithography, 130 Watts TDP, DDR3 1333 MHz CL9, Quad Channel: 41 FPS

Comparison 4: - Scenario: Same RAM type with different clockings and latencies / comparing different clockings with same latency.
    Intel Core i5-2500K, 4,2 GHz, Sandy Bridge, 32nm lithography, 95 Watts TDP, DDR3 1600 MHz CL9, Dual Channel: 32 FPS (+7% more performance comparing to 1333 MHz CL9)
    Intel Core i5-2500K, 4,2 GHz, Sandy Bridge, 32nm lithography, 95 Watts TDP, DDR3 1333 MHz CL9, Dual Channel: 30 FPS

Performance leap on SLI:
    It seems to be clear now, like I always said that SLI on a single monitor solution is not worth any price and energy consumption.
    Tested on TW engine the SLI gives you about 50 % more performance compared to a single GPU. This does not necessarily mean, that SLI cannot give twice performance but in case of TW we will not see this as there are vital hardware limitations (CPU / RAM) or even the engine.

AMD processors are literally not usable for Total War:
    It is an frightening fact but according to the CPU benchmarks we have already enough evidence that AMD CPUs can hardly handle Total War, so even you have a good graphics card, when it comes to melee and blobs and you are zooming in the scene you will face a massive FPS drop.

Last edited by alQamar; August 12, 2013 at 12:33 PM.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Default Iron out Total War tech myths

Hi all,

I know it is a controverse topic but a lot people still postulate opinions and even make worthy decisions on them, that might cost money and will not deliver proper results.

Because of that I deciced to start this discussion thread based on real facts we have at the moment. We cannot expect they will be revolutioned by Rome 2.
    So in this case we do not need to "kill" each other with "game is not yet released" statements. I will not change a lot, even we all hoped for that.

So let's start to iron out Total War tech myths:

General hardware myths:

Myth: If you have an AMD CPU you need to get an AMD (ATI) graphics card for best performance and compatibility, as both are from the same vendor. Also on Intel better go for a NVIDIA not AMD graphics card for the same reason
    Busted! This is a really nighmare myth, as I repetitive hear that for about 15 years now, and it still lives. There is really no truth in it you can mix whatever you want.
    But once more: The AMD processor limitations for TW still exists independently from the fact you pair it with a NVIDIA or AMD graphics card.
    Technically the best pick is Intel with NVIDIA but that has got technological roots not because they pair better.

Myth: TW runs faster (frames per second) with SSD or more RAM than 4 GB
    Busted! No and again it is a 32bit game.
    While installing TW on a SSD will give it a significant boost in loading times, the additional RAM might only improve loading time performance a little if you have less then 4 GB RAM or a lot of background processes running (laptops are full of preinstalled software, browsers like Chrome needs a lot of RAM as they make multiple instances. Having more than 6 GB do not affect Total War at all.

Operating system myths:

Myth: TW runs faster on a 64bit OS than 32bit
    Busted! This is not true, it is a 32 bit game. Any advantages may be because different drivers and the advantages are negible. Anyway if you have 3 GB RAM and a 1 GB graphics card you should uprade to a 64 bit OS like Windows 8 or 7. In some particular cases it may even run faster on a 32 bit OS :/

Processor myths:

Myth: TW runs faster on a 5 GHz AMD than a 3,2 GHz Intel
    Busted!No, please refer benchmark results.

Myth: TW runs faster on a octa core or hexa core instead of a quad core CPU
    Busted! No it does not utilize the additional cores, sorry.

Myth: TW does not support more than single or dual core CPUs
    Busted! That's wrong, as comparing a SAME quad core and dual core CPU (hardware limitation) you have a gain of more than 20% performance compared to the dual core CPU. TW does utilize quad core CPUs. Please also refer benchmark results.

Myth: The blood patch DLC is a nice features, that gives you more splatter effects at a little performance cost
    Busted! That's fairly wrong. Accidently we got aware that the blood DLC is not done by the GPU but the processor and impacts a lot in typical a melee / blob. The cost of performance varies from 12-25%.

Myth: Intel i7 cores are the best effort for Total War and hyperthreading give you an extra boost playing this game.
    Answer: No unfortunately it is even contraproductive and SLOWS Total War, especially if you have a SLI configuration. On the other hand on desktop Intel i3, hyperthreading helps to improve your performance significantly.

Graphics cards myths:

Myth: TW runs faster with a graphics card with more than 2 GB RAM
    Busted! More video RAM will not increase your frame rates. Multimonitor is not supported aswell so the game simply do not need more than 2 GB VRAM. There is just one exception: you will need more than 2GB VRAM if you use higher resolution than 1080p or memory intensive antialiasing like SSAA.

Myth: an SLI / Crossfire will improve my gaming experience and eliminate all lags even in huge battles
    Busted! That's fairly wrong.
    There are two reasons for that:
    1. The problem is an SLI might give you more power in case of high Antialiasing but usually all screens have only 60 Hz, so display 60 frames per second.
    Any more frames above that will cause tearing as the SLI delivers more pictures than the screen can display. Adaptive VSYNC drops the FPS to the monitor speed if needed. In this case you are are literally driving a Porsche in a 15 miles per hour zone .
    2. If you go in a cam close up your CPU will make the pace in terms of FPS and your SLI become completely worthless in Total War as you will enounter lags (low FPS).

Myth: Monitors with higher refresh rates like 120 or 144 Hz give me a visibly fluent gaming experience and advantage in Total War games.
    Busted! Not at all, they are only useful if you use 3D glasses, then the monitor can display 2 pictures with each 60 frames per second instead of 30 frames per second. However your graphics card must be powerful enough to serve this. Usally you need an SLI to have a constant framerate beyond 100 frames per second in Total War.
    Despite from the 3D use it is physically senseless as a human eye cannot see more than 85 pictures per second (aka Hertz (Hz) aka Frames per second (FPS). Who ever tells you he/she has got a visibly better gaming experience with a FPS higher than 85 FPS must have super powers indeed.

Myth:
    If I got a 1 GB graphics card and add another one with 1GB VRAM via SLI / Crossfire I can choose higher details as I have then 2 GB VRAM.
    Busted! Honestly I am not experienced with SLI / Crossfire solutions a lot but someone that knows this business confirmed this myth is really wrong
    The additional graphics card will not ADD VRAM to the other but you have then 2 cards sharing 1 GB. So unlike to system RAM you cannot add physically or virtually more VRAM by pairing cards.

RAM myths:

Myth: TW runs faster on high OC RAM (above 1600 MHz)
    Busted! This may affect only on AMD plattforms and if the CL timings are same or lower than CL9-9-9, the Intel memory controller has a limitation to 1600 MHz or even lower depending on your particular model.

Myth: High overclocked RAM gives you a good boost in Total War, so it is worth the price at the end
    Busted! There are 2 sides of the medal, one is gold the other one just looks like gold
    1. High overclocked RAM takes all RAMs that are faster than 1600 MHz which are now standard for DDR3 while we should see 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM in 2014. In fact the memory bandwith is higher at higher clockings but this may be effective only in very memory intensive tasks like video editing or 3D modelling (raytracing etc)
    2. The OC RAM has got a high demand on voltage, while modern DDR3 (DDR3L) RAM only need 1,35 Volts, these RAMs run at the border of compliance at 1,65 volts. This causes heat and costs of course more energy, that you won't notice on your bill anyway aslong you do not run a server farm.

BUT: The most painful thing is that any RAM above 1600 MHz do not give a respective advantage on Intel CPUs. Maybe different on AMD but I haven't enough data yet.

Intel Core i7-4770K, 4,5 GHz, Haswell, 22nm lithography, 84 Watts TDP, DDR3 2666 MHz CL11, Dual Channel: 52 FPS (66% more clocking but only +6% (7.6% unrounded) more performance, not speaking about the price)
    Intel Core i7-4770K, 4,5 GHz, Haswell, 22nm lithography, 84 Watts TDP, DDR3 1666 MHz CL11, Dual Channel: 49 FPS

Price comparison:
    Corsair Vengeance 2x4 GB 2666 MHz CL11 RAM: 151 € - so they are 2,5 times more expensive for ridiculous +6-8% performance)
    Corsair Vengeance 2x4 GB 1600 MHz CL9 RAM: 60 €, and even yet faster than the tested 1666 CL11

Sources for the above statements linked below.

If you need to discuss this myths please feel free to do so, but not in this thread. May I like you to head to this one for dicussion. Thank you.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?613403-Iron-out-Total-War-tech-myths
    Last edited by alQamar; August 27, 2013 at 11:48 AM.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Default The TWC Total War Benchmark thread - Rome 2 benchmark instructions

To ensure we have comparable results we need minimise the differences that exist on every system.

System requirements:
    There is NOT SYSTEM REQUIREMENT for the processor benchmark except Windows and recent drivers.
    For the graphics benchmark you need a
    graphics card that to supports DirectX 11 or 11.1.
    If you do not have a DirectX 11 capable graphics card, skip the GPU part and please submit your CPU benchmarks only. Thank you very much

- you have a 32 or 64 bit Windows. Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 (CTP) supported. Windows XP not supported here.

- All Windows Updates installed (please enable obtaining updates for Windows and other products)

- you need the free CPU-Z to give us an quick view to your hardware. source:
    http://filepony.de/download-cpuz/

- install all latest drivers listed below according to your system used, for optimal and more comparable performance

Driver Download section - preparing your rig
    For all mainboards with Intel CPU, Intel integrated graphics (Intel HD graphics):
    Intel Chipset drivers - needed for mainboard devices
    source: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...A4tze&lang=eng

Intel Rapid Store drivers - needed for optimal hard disk performance (if your system is not compatible installing will quit with an according message)
    source:
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/confirm.aspx?httpDown=http://downloadmirror.intel.com/22676/a08/SetupRST.exe&lang=eng&Dwnldid=22676&ProductID=2101&ProductFamily=Software+Products&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%c2%ae+Rapid+Storage+Technology+(Intel%c2%ae+RST)

latest Intel HD Graphics driver installed (if not using a discrete GPU)
    source:
    http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect

For all Nvidia Graphics Desktop or Laptop:
    NVIDIA graphic card drivers (Nvidia Experience)
    source:
    http://www.nvidia.de/Download/index.aspx?lang=en

for all mainboards with AMD CPU / AMD Graphics cards / AMD integrated graphics

latest AMD Southbridge and Catalyst drivers installed:

source: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

---

In this posting you will find 2 attachments one is for all computers and the other one is only for people with Haswell CPUs (Intel i5/i7-4xxx(K)

Preparing the GPU (graphics card) benchmark - you need a DirectX 11 / 11.1 graphics card
    - Open Windows Explorer, enter this path "%appdata%\the creative assembly\Rome2\scripts"

- MAKE A BACKUP COPY OF THE EXISTING FILE preferences.script.txt

- Download (save as) and overwrite the file preferences.script.txt from the attachment into this particular directory.

- After you successfully saved the file, open the file preferences.script.txt

-
    If you do not have a 1920x1080 screen resolution, edit your screen resolution in the file fits yours in the lines, and change them if needed.

- do not edit any settings in the AMD or NVIDIA driver settings at the moment. Leave everything at standard settings.

The file contains special edits to the standard settings, and ensures maximum comparability. Choosing the extreme preset and max all out could be a easy way but is not recommended.

Running the GPU (graphics card) benchmark (a set of 4-5 different benchmarks):

- Start Rome 2 via Steam

1. Running full feafure benchmark

- in the game go to options > graphics options > advanced options > run the benchmark
    - After the benchmark is run please note down the average FPS

2. Running extreme preset benchmark
    - go to options > graphics options now and select EXTREME PRESET now, accept the settings below. He is reloading. Go to OPTIONS > Graphic Options > advanced options again > run the benchmark

3. Running ultra benchmark
    - go to options > graphics options now and select ULTRA PRESET now, accept the settings below He is reloading. Go to OPTIONS > Graphic Options > advanced options again > run the benchmark

4. Running high benchmark
    - go to options > graphics options now and select HIGH PRESET now, accept the settings below He is reloading. Go to OPTIONS > Graphic Options > advanced options again > run the benchmark

If you get an error message now like ".... quality not supported" when you launch the benchmark, your graphics card is unfortunately not capable to run the settings, proceed with the next benchmark level then.

- Use the backup of the preferences.script.txt to restore your old graphics settings.

How to submit your benchmarks results:

- Install and run CPU-Z and > Click on About > Save report (.txt) and attach them to the same email above with the noted Average FPS from each test.
    Results without CPU-Z log will not be taken into account in the results.

NSA / privacy disclaimer:

The files do NOT contain any personal data, Windows keys or IP address that could be used to identify you.
    Your email used will NOT be published or passed to anyone.

There are 3 methods for submission:
    Reply to this thread in advanced mode (reply > go advanced):
    Reply to this thread using the advanced mode and then attach all needed files. Postings without logfiles or partly missing logfiles cannot be used.

personal message / PM:
    leave me PM with a link to the files on cloud storage like skydrive, dropbox, google drive or sorts. As you cannot attach files in PMs.

or via Email:

Send the email to twcbenchmarks@chynet.de
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by alQamar; September 06, 2013 at 08:06 AM.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Default The TWC Total War Benchmark thread - Rome 2 benchmark results

Graphics (GPU) Benchmarks
    RESULTS SORTED BY: CPU GENERATION
    AND THEN BY RESULTS

FULL FEATURE SETTINGS (attached preferences.text.script here):
    AMD FX-8350, 5,0 GHz, Vishera, 32nm lithography, 125 Watts TDP, DDR3 1333 MHz CL9-9-9-24, Dual Channel, AMD Radeon HD7850: 22 FPS (Rome 2 beta drivers)
    AMD FX-8320, 4,1 GHz, Vishera, 32nm lithography, 125 Watts TDP, DDR3 1600 MHz CL9-9-9-24, Dual Channel, NVIDIA GTX 560 Ti: 16 FPS

Intel Core i7-7700K, 4,8 GHz, Kaby Lake B0, 14nm lithography, 95 Watts TDP, DDR4 2666 MHz CL16-18-18-35, Dual Channel, 1x Zotac NVIDIA GTX 970 Amp! Extreme: 64,1 FPS (1920x1080)
    Intel Core
    i7-4770K, 4,3 GHz, Haswell C1, 22nm lithography, 84 Watts TDP, DDR3 1866 MHz CL9-10-9-30, Dual Channel, 2x AMD Radeon HD7970: 26 FPS (with Rome 2 beta drivers)
    Intel Core i7-4770K, 4,2 GHz, Haswell C1, 22nm lithography, 84 Watts TDP, DDR3 1600 MHz CL9-9-9-24, Dual Channel, 1x NVIDIA GTX 780 : 45 FPS
    Intel Core i7-4770K, 3,8 GHz (stock speed), Haswell C1, 22nm lithography, 84 Watts TDP, DDR3 1600 MHz CL8-8-8-24, Dual Channel, 1x NVIDIA GTX 760 : 29 FPS
    Intel Core i7-2600K, 4,6 GHz, Sandy Bridge B3, 32nm lithography, 95 Watts TDP, DDR3L 1600 MHz CL9-9-9-24, Dual Channel, 1x NVIDIA GTX EVGA 670 FTW: 30 FPS

Intel Core i5-6600K, 4,6 GHz, Skylake R0, 14nm lithography, 95 Watts TDP, DDR4 2666 MHz CL13-15-15-34, Dual Channel, 1x Zotac NVIDIA GTX 1080 Amp! Extreme : 109,5 FPS (1920x1080)
    Intel Core i5-6600K, 4,6 GHz, Skylake R0, 14nm lithography, 95 Watts TDP, DDR4 2666 MHz CL13-15-15-34, Dual Channel, 1x Zotac NVIDIA GTX 1080 Amp! Extreme : 95,1 FPS (2560x1080)
    Intel Core i5-3500K, 4,2 GHz, Ivy Bridge, 22nm lithography, 77 Watts TDP, DDR3L 2144 MHz CL11-12-11-30, Dual Channel, 1x NVIDIA GTX 780:
    not tested

EXTREME PRESET:
    AMD FX-8350, 5,0 GHz, Vishera, 32nm lithography, 125 Watts TDP, DDR3 1333 MHz CL9-9-9-24, Dual Channel, AMD Radeon HD7850: 29 FPS (Rome 2 beta drivers)
    AMD FX-8320, 4,1 GHz, Vishera, 32nm lithography, 125 Watts TDP, DDR3 1600 MHz CL9-9-9-24, Dual Channel, 1x NVIDIA GTX 560 Ti: 35 FPS

Intel Core i7-7700K, 4,8 GHz, Kaby Lake B0, 14nm lithography, 95 Watts TDP, DDR4 2666 MHz CL16-18-18-35, Dual Channel, 1x Zotac NVIDIA GTX 970 Amp! Extreme: 76,5 FPS (1920x1080)
    Intel Core
    i7-4770K, 4,3 GHz, Haswell C1, 22nm lithography, 84 Watts TDP, DDR3 1866 MHz CL9-10-9-30, Dual Channel, 2x AMD Radeon HD7970: 53 FPS (with Rome 2 beta drivers)
    Intel Core i7-4770K, 4,2 GHz, Haswell C1, 22nm lithography, 84 Watts TDP, DDR3 1600 MHz CL9-9-9-24, Dual Channel, 1x NVIDIA GTX 780 : 51 FPS
    Intel Core i7-4770K, 3,8 GHz (stock speed), Haswell C1, 22nm lithography, 84 Watts TDP, DDR3 1600 MHz CL8-8-8-24, Dual Channel, 1x NVIDIA GTX 760 : 37 FPS
    Intel Core i7-2600K, 4,6 GHz, Sandy Bridge B3, 32nm lithography, 95 Watts TDP, DDR3L 1600 MHz CL9-9-9-24, Dual Channel, 1x GTX EVGA 670 FTW: 37 FPS*

Intel Core i5-6600K, 4,6 GHz, Skylake R0, 14nm lithography, 95 Watts TDP, DDR4 2666 MHz CL13-15-15-34, Dual Channel, 1x Zotac NVIDIA GTX 1080 Amp! Extreme : 124,4 FPS (1920x1080)
    Intel Core i5-6600K, 4,6 GHz, Skylake R0, 14nm lithography, 95 Watts TDP, DDR4 2666 MHz CL13-15-15-34, Dual Channel, 1x Zotac NVIDIA GTX 1080 Amp! Extreme : 111,4 FPS
    (2560x1080)

Intel Core i5-3500K, 4,2 GHz, Ivy Bridge, 22nm lithography, 77 Watts TDP, DDR3L 2144 MHz CL11-12-11-30, Dual Channel, 1x NVIDIA GTX 780: 49 FPS

ULTRA PRESET:
    AMD FX-8350, 5,0 GHz, Vishera, 32nm lithography, 125 Watts TDP, DDR3 1333 MHz CL9-9-9-24, Dual Channel, AMD Radeon HD7850: 40 FPS (Rome 2 beta drivers)
    AMD FX-8320, 4,1 GHz, Vishera, 32nm lithography, 125 Watts TDP, DDR3 1600 MHz CL9-9-9-24, Dual Channel, 1x NVIDIA GTX 560 Ti: 38 FPS

Intel Core i7-7700K, 4,8 GHz, Kaby Lake B0, 14nm lithography, 95 Watts TDP, DDR4 2666 MHz CL16-18-18-35, Dual Channel, 1x Zotac NVIDIA GTX 970 Amp! Extreme: 120,1 FPS (1920x1080)
    Intel Core
    i7-4770K, 4,2 GHz, Haswell C1, 22nm lithography, 84 Watts TDP, DDR3 1600 MHz CL9-9-9-24, Dual Channel, 1x NVIDIA GTX 780 : 58 FPS

Intel Core i7-4770K, 3,8 GHz (stock speed), Haswell C1, 22nm lithography, 84 Watts TDP, DDR3 1600 MHz CL8-8-8-24, Dual Channel, 1x NVIDIA GTX 760 : 49 FPS
    Intel Core i7-2600K, 4,6 GHz, Sandy Bridge B3, 32nm lithography, 95 Watts TDP, DDR3L 1600 MHz CL9-9-9-24, Dual Channel, 1x GTX EVGA 670 FTW: 63 FPS*

Intel Core i5-6600K, 4,6 GHz, Skylake R0, 14nm lithography, 95 Watts TDP, DDR4 2666 MHz CL13-15-15-34, Dual Channel, 1x Zotac NVIDIA GTX 1080 Amp! Extreme : 172,1 FPS (1920x1080)
    Intel Core i5-6600K, 4,6 GHz, Skylake R0, 14nm lithography, 95 Watts TDP, DDR4 2666 MHz CL13-15-15-34, Dual Channel, 1x Zotac NVIDIA GTX 1080 Amp! Extreme : 154,0 FPS
    (2560x1080)

Intel Core i5-3500K, 4,2 GHz, Ivy Bridge, 22nm lithography, 77 Watts TDP, DDR3L 2144 MHz CL11-12-11-30, Dual Channel, 1x NVIDIA GTX 780: 54 FPS

VERY HIGH PRESET:
    AMD FX-8320, 4,1 GHz, Vishera, 32nm lithography, 125 Watts TDP, DDR3 1600 MHz CL9-9-9-24, Dual Channel, 1x NVIDIA GTX 560 Ti: 47 FPS

Intel Core i7-7700K, 4,8 GHz, Kaby Lake B0, 14nm lithography, 95 Watts TDP, DDR4 2666 MHz CL16-18-18-35, Dual Channel, 1x Zotac NVIDIA GTX 970 Amp! Extreme: 153 FPS (1920x1080)
    Intel Core i7-2600K, 4,6 GHz, Sandy Bridge B3, 32nm lithography, 95 Watts TDP, DDR3L 1600 MHz CL9-9-9-24, Dual Channel, 1x GTX EVGA 670 FTW: 84 FPS*

Intel Core i5-6600K, 4,6 GHz, Skylake R0, 14nm lithography, 95 Watts TDP, DDR4 2666 MHz CL13-15-15-34, Dual Channel, 1x Zotac NVIDIA GTX 1080 Amp! Extreme : 208,7 FPS (1920x1080)
    Intel Core i5-6600K, 4,6 GHz, Skylake R0, 14nm lithography, 95 Watts TDP, DDR4 2666 MHz CL13-15-15-34, Dual Channel, 1x Zotac NVIDIA GTX 1080 Amp! Extreme : 194,5 FPS (2560x1080)

HIGH PRESET:
    AMD FX-8350, 5,0 GHz, Vishera, 32nm lithography, 125 Watts TDP, DDR3 1333 MHz CL9-9-9-24, Dual Channel, AMD Radeon HD7850: 50 FPS (Rome 2 beta drivers)
    AMD FX-8320, 4,1 GHz, Vishera, 32nm lithography, 125 Watts TDP, DDR3 1600 MHz CL9-9-9-24, Dual Channel, 1x NVIDIA GTX 560 Ti: 61 FPS

Intel Core i7-7700K, 4,8 GHz, Kaby Lake B0, 14nm lithography, 95 Watts TDP, DDR4 2666 MHz CL16-18-18-35, Dual Channel, 1x Zotac NVIDIA GTX 970 Amp! Extreme: 241 FPS (1920x1080)
    Intel Core
    i7-4770K, 4,2 GHz, Haswell C1, 22nm lithography, 84 Watts TDP, DDR3 1600 MHz CL9-9-9-24, Dual Channel, 1x NVIDIA GTX 780 : 64 FPS

Intel Core i7-4770K, 3,8 GHz (stock speed), Haswell C1, 22nm lithography, 84 Watts TDP, DDR3 1600 MHz CL8-8-8-24, Dual Channel, 1x NVIDIA GTX 760 : 64 FPS
    Intel Core i7-2600K, 4,6 GHz, Sandy Bridge B3, 32nm lithography, 95 Watts TDP, DDR3L 1600 MHz CL9-9-9-24, Dual Channel, 1x GTX EVGA 670 FTW: 145 FPS*

Intel Core i5-6600K, 4,6 GHz, Skylake R0, 14nm lithography, 95 Watts TDP, DDR4 2666 MHz CL13-15-15-34, Dual Channel, 1x Zotac NVIDIA GTX 1080 Amp! Extreme : 283,2 FPS (1920x1080)
    Intel Core i5-6600K, 4,6 GHz, Skylake R0, 14nm lithography, 95 Watts TDP, DDR4 2666 MHz CL13-15-15-34, Dual Channel, 1x Zotac NVIDIA GTX 1080 Amp! Extreme : 268,6 FPS
    (2560x1080)

Intel Core i5-3500K, 4,2 GHz, Ivy Bridge, 22nm lithography, 77 Watts TDP, DDR3L 2144 MHz CL11-12-11-30, Dual Channel, 1x NVIDIA GTX 780:
    64 FPS

MEDIUM PRESET:
    Intel Core i7-7700K, 4,8 GHz, Kaby Lake B0, 14nm lithography, 95 Watts TDP, DDR4 2666 MHz CL16-18-18-35, Dual Channel, 1x Zotac NVIDIA GTX 970 Amp! Extreme: 277,5 FPS (1920x1080)

Intel Core i5-6600K, 4,6 GHz, Skylake R0, 14nm lithography, 95 Watts TDP, DDR4 2666 MHz CL13-15-15-34, Dual Channel, 1x Zotac NVIDIA GTX 1080 Amp! Extreme : 353,0 FPS (1920x1080)

Intel Core i5-6600K, 4,6 GHz, Skylake R0, 14nm lithography, 95 Watts TDP, DDR4 2666 MHz CL13-15-15-34, Dual Channel, 1x Zotac NVIDIA GTX 1080 Amp! Extreme : 295,4 FPS (2560x1080)

LOW PRESET:
    Intel Core i7-7700K, 4,8 GHz, Kaby Lake B0, 14nm lithography, 95 Watts TDP, DDR4 2666 MHz CL16-18-18-35, Dual Channel, 1x Zotac NVIDIA GTX 970 Amp! Extreme: 297.5 FPS (1920x1080)

Intel Core i5-6600K, 4,6 GHz, Skylake R0, 14nm lithography, 95 Watts TDP, DDR4 2666 MHz CL13-15-15-34, Dual Channel, 1x Zotac NVIDIA GTX 1080 Amp! Extreme : 406,3 FPS (1920x1080)

Intel Core i5-6600K, 4,6 GHz, Skylake R0, 14nm lithography, 95 Watts TDP, DDR4 2666 MHz CL13-15-15-34, Dual Channel, 1x Zotac NVIDIA GTX 1080 Amp! Extreme : 367,8 FPS (2560x1080)

REMARKS;
    *Tested with the fixed Rome 2 benchmark (patch 3)

LEGACY ROME 2 TESTS (FULL FEATURE SETTINGS):
    Intel Core i7-2600K, 4,6 GHz, Sandy Bridge B3, 32nm lithography, 95 Watts TDP, DDR3L 1600 MHz CL9-9-9-24, Dual Channel, 1x GTX EVGA 670 FTW, MSAA on: 32 FPS (number of thread = 0)
    Intel Core i7-2600K, 4,6 GHz, Sandy Bridge B3, 32nm lithography, 95 Watts TDP, DDR3L 1600 MHz CL9-9-9-24, Dual Channel, 1x GTX EVGA 670 FTW, MSAA on: 30,2 FPS (number of thread = 2)
    Intel Core i7-2600K, 4,6 GHz, Sandy Bridge B3, 32nm lithography, 95 Watts TDP, DDR3L 1600 MHz CL9-9-9-24, Dual Channel, 1x GTX EVGA 670 FTW, MSAA on: 31,8 FPS (number of thread = 4)
    Intel Core i7-2600K, 4,6 GHz, Sandy Bridge B3, 32nm lithography, 95 Watts TDP, DDR3L 1600 MHz CL9-9-9-24, Dual Channel, 1x GTX EVGA 670 FTW, MSAA on: 30,8 FPS (number of thread = 8)
    Intel Core i7-2600K, 4,6 GHz, Sandy Bridge B3, 32nm lithography, 95 Watts TDP, DDR3L 1600 MHz CL9-9-9-24, Dual Channel, 1x GTX EVGA 670 FTW, MSAA on: 31,4 FPS (number of thread = 16)
    Intel Core i7-2600K, 4, 6 GHz, Sandy Bridge B3, 32nm lithography, 95 Watts TDP, DDR3L 1600 MHz CL9-9-9-24, Dual Channel, 1x GTX EVGA 670 FTW, MSAA on: 30,4 FPS (number of thread = 32)
    Intel Core i7-2600K, 4,6 GHz, Sandy Bridge B3, 32nm lithography, 95 Watts TDP, DDR3L 1600 MHz CL9-9-9-24, Dual Channel, 1x GTX EVGA 670 FTW, MSAA on: 32 FPS
    Intel Core i7-2600K, 4,6 GHz, Sandy Bridge B3, 32nm lithography, 95 Watts TDP, DDR3L 1600 MHz CL9-9-9-24, Dual Channel, 1x GTX EVGA 670 FTW, FXAA on: 32 FPS
    Intel Core i7-2600K, 4,6 GHz, Sandy Bridge B3, 32nm lithography, 95 Watts TDP, DDR3L 1600 MHz CL9-9-9-24, Dual Channel, 1x GTX EVGA 670 FTW, FXAA on MSAA off: 30 FPS (with number of thread tweak)

CONCLUSIONS:
    - AMD CPU performance has been increased a lot!
    - GPU performane seems currently not really that important anymore :$. Because of the loss of DX11 tesselation and DX10 HDR features in Rome 2 high end GPUs are capped by CPU performance
    - The multicore / Intel multithreading performance has been optimised for both AMD and Intel CPUs, however an i7 is just +5% faster than a same i5, so going for an i7 is still not worth for Total War games.
    - The graphics performance seems to be capped on high settings at 66 FPS, also other user reported this, and it seems to be true. This is not a VSYNC issue! This was a bug within the benchmark and will be fixed with the next patch release 3.

Last edited by alQamar; December 26, 2016 at 03:20 PM.

karamazovmm's Avatar スマトラ警備隊

Default Re: The TWC Total War Benchmark thread - compare your real TW performance

Sorry for posting this, but why you have altered the entry for number of threads to 16? thats in the i7 cpu tweaks

The very ugly forgive, but beauty is essential - Vinicius de Moraes

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

As written with the standard settings you loose 5% performance in the CPU test as total war mess up with a quad core plus hyperthreading (i7)
    The number of threads used in the file has nothing to do with the number of threads of your cpu but reflecting "threads" in the warscape engine.
    Last edited by alQamar; August 10, 2013 at 08:30 PM.

alQamar I'm picking up the system you put together for me tomorrow, I'll try shogun 2 on it and let you know the result.

SamueleD's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Karamazovmm View Post
    then again why 16 threads? and why 4 threads on a cpu that doesnt have 4 cores nor HT?
    It's 4 threads (or more) on i3 (dual core with HT) and 8 (or more) on i7 (quad core with HT), the important thing is setting it to a number equal or higher than your number of threads, if you have HT. In his tests alQamar found the best results with 16 for i7 (but 8 wasn't that far from it) and 4 or 8 for i3 (in my test, with 2 cores HT, 4 was the best).

karamazovmm's Avatar スマトラ警備隊

Quote Originally Posted by SamueleD View Post
    It's 4 threads (or more) on i3 (dual core with HT) and 8 (or more) on i7 (quad core with HT), the important thing is setting it to a number equal or higher than your number of threads, if you have HT. In his tests alQamar found the best results with 16 for i7 (but 8 wasn't that far from it) and 4 or 8 for i3 (in my test, with 2 cores HT, 4 was the best).
    the i3 doesnt have HT for mobile I forgot that they have HT for desktops

Quote Originally Posted by Splenyi View Post
    Maybe someone out there is gaming on an 8 core Xeon...
    yep thats the only explanation for the 16 threads

one thing I never understood was the HT in i3 on desktops

then again we dont have access to the code to see how is the distribution of threads and tasks for warscape

The very ugly forgive, but beauty is essential - Vinicius de Moraes

Hey all, in the Shogun 2 1080 benchmark I get 134 fps. I haven't tried the CPU one yet. In game with a 40 v 40 battle with 4xmsaa and all else ultra I get anywhere from 55-100 fps (depending on zoom level and size of melee of course).

i5 4670k at 4.2
    2x GTX680 in SLI

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

EDIT: New benchmarks uploaded
    CPU-Z Report.txt
    GPU Bench.txt
    CPU Bench.txt
    Last edited by Biggus Splenus; August 20, 2013 at 04:06 AM. Reason: continuity
    | R5 3600, RTX 2060, MSI B450I, 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4, AX760i, NH-U12S |

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Hi Splenyi, something is really going wrong with your CPU, he reported you have set turbo to 44x but he only runs on 4,0 max not 4,4 and further you have only 35 FPS. comparing to the other haswell I tested this is really slow, please investigate the matter.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

We got new results and also found a proper tweak for AMD octa core, that give a yet small boost of +3. Special thanks for babydoc and boxleitnerb for their time spent helping me to find the bulls eye
    please refer OP changelog and also posting #4 for #6 changes.

Thanks to you and the god IANVS (Janus) for that good beginning. So far 9 people participated in this "Total Benchmark". We could need lots more results here especially laptops and not "high-end" rigs that are still capable to run DX11.
    Last edited by alQamar; August 07, 2013 at 11:34 AM.

babydoc's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by alQamar View Post
    We got new results and also found a proper tweak for AMD octa core, that give a yet small boost of +3. Special thanks for babydoc and boxleitnerb for their time spent helping me to find the bulls eye
    please refer OP changelog and also posting #4 for #6 changes.

Thanks to you and the god IANVS (Janus) for that good beginning. So far 9 people participated in this "Total Benchmark". We could need lots more results here especially laptops and not "high-end" rigs that are still capable to run DX11.
    Thank you for the time consuming task of answering questions and gather all the bench data.
    +rep buddy!

Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast