Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Great War | CRASHING IN BATTLES? | Custom Mappack Memory Usage/Trench Placement Advice

Default The Great War | CRASHING IN BATTLES? | Custom Mappack Memory Usage/Trench Placement Advice

Hi everybody, here I put some advices for playing 5.0 with the best performances, 5.0 need obviously better performances than vanilla NTW :
    5.0 is including a lot of new models and large maps, some of these are very complex ones.
    So, here are some clues to improve your experience until release:

BETTER PERFORMANCE:

1/I have tried many ways to boost total war games. I have already make an advice here for game booster.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=499843
    2/I like to play with a lot of soldiers, often more than 20000 or 30000 and they are often units modded, so, they are heavier to load for the computer. Some maps of TGW mod are heavy.
    I have a good gamer computer but sometimes with so many soldiers or complex maps, I have some lag.
    So, I tested a function of vista and windows 7, named ready boost.
    It's simple you put a usb key (My advice : at least 4gb free). A window open: it takes one minute to do and you will have 4gb of memory added
    here you have a tutoriel: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...e-performance/

you can increase your memory of 4 gb. You will see, you total war games will run far better with 4 gb of memory to run your computer. I really saw the difference in game of course but also when I am not in game. Ready boost doesn't work with all the videos games but with Total war games it works well because of the number of men on the battlefield, details and models.

playing with several keys readyboost is possible (i play myself with 2 keys).
    I read new articles and it's possible to put 8 keys with a maximum of 256 gb added. It's also possible to add more than 4 gb with that trick: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RGxPNP-ImU.
    Now I have 32gb +16 gb on my computer.

others advices:

3/you can also use this freeware to boost games (jetboost), it does almost the same as game booster)
    http://www.01net.com/statiquesv6/tel...hargement.html
    You can launch Jetboost AND readyboost at the same time for improving your performances.
    4/ you can try if you have a laptop to decrease the heat of your computer, it will probably increase the way your laptop run the games.
    http://www.google.fr/search?hl=fr&pq...w=1152&bih=575
    good game!

TRENCHES:

you will see a lot of maps with trenches and at the beginning, perhaps you will ask you how to put correctly all your men in.
    For little units, no problem, same for "old" units because they use a very narrow ranks formation.
    For the others, you will have to train yourself, when you don't manage, placing the unit in profile can be the solution: when the ennemy arrives the unit will turn automatically towards him without going out the trench.
    For my trench model, select your unit and click inside the trench until the men fall in narrow line (it's a trick I saw that doing holes in the battleterrain, when it's narrow, your unit will fall in line of 1 or two men, fitting perfectly in the trench, sometimes your unit of 200 men can fall in a very long line following the trench network.) (map trench warfare). So click on several places inside the trench network until your unit fit to the trench.
    For placing machine gun crew during the battle, press left button, keep your finger on it and place the target on the ground until you see the blue arrows on the ground indicating where your machine guns will be.
    Last edited by panzerschreck; August 30, 2013 at 12:55 AM.

The Vengur's Avatar Bloodthirsty Lunatic

Default Re: The Great War | Custom Mappack Memory Usage/Trench Placement Advice

I wouldn't recommend ReadyBoost without USB 3, Without it the improvement is negligible to the point that my Windows won't do it on USB 2 ports since it won't bring any improvement (though that is with 16 gigs of 2400MHZ DDR3, might work on weaker systems).
    Last edited by The Vengur; August 05, 2013 at 12:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by trance View Post
    I might have inherited the stature and alcohol consumption of our ancestors, but Vengur got the ruthless, psychopathic bloodlust.
    Quote Originally Posted by s.rwitt View Post
    New rule: -one player each session will be designated the "Vengur Handler". It is like a dog handler in real life but you have to also pay attention to where his weapon is pointed at all times, make sure he does not have access to a parachute while in a chopper, keep him from running into buildings which the rest of the squad is currently suppressing, etc. An AGM/ACE compatible leash has been added to VAS.

Quote Originally Posted by The Vengur View Post
    I wouldn't recommend ReadyBoost without USB 3, Without it the improvement is negligible to the point that my Windows won't do it on USB 2 ports since it won't bring any improvement (though that is with 16 gigs of 2400MHZ DDR3, might work on weaker systems).

I know each time we talk about readyboost, some doesn't like it, but a lot of players that have try it (me include) for total war games only have seen a real change when they play with a lot of soldiers, big maps etc. You see the difference when the game need a lot of memory.

The Vengur's Avatar Bloodthirsty Lunatic

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

You can't really use it if your Windows won't allow it (ignore the disk name, img from google), i get the same error (though in Swedish).
    Quote Originally Posted by trance View Post
    I might have inherited the stature and alcohol consumption of our ancestors, but Vengur got the ruthless, psychopathic bloodlust.
    Quote Originally Posted by s.rwitt View Post
    New rule: -one player each session will be designated the "Vengur Handler". It is like a dog handler in real life but you have to also pay attention to where his weapon is pointed at all times, make sure he does not have access to a parachute while in a chopper, keep him from running into buildings which the rest of the squad is currently suppressing, etc. An AGM/ACE compatible leash has been added to VAS.

I use a 32 gig usb and it does wonders to make huge battles.

does it work with an external ?

Aanker's Avatar Concordant

Default Re: The Great War | CRASHING IN BATTLES? | Custom Mappack Memory Usage/Trench Placement Advice

If you encounter problems with memory usage, please read this and try the method described in the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    Russia have managed to weaponize the loneliest and saddest people on the internet by providing them with (sometimes barechested) father figures whom they can adhere to in order to justify their hatred for the current establishment and the society that rejects them.

UNDER THE PROUD PATRONAGE OF ABBEWS
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10

Campidoctor

Default Re: The Great War | CRASHING IN BATTLES? | Custom Mappack Memory Usage/Trench Placement Advice

I've been trying to get ReadyBoost to work for the past few days in preparation for release of the mod. My problem is the ReadyBoost tab doesn't even show up for the flash drive, whether I click the autorun option to enable it or go through properties. I googled the hell out of this problem and nothing's worked so far. I'm fairly certain the flash drive meets the requirements, ran read-write speed tests and everything. Meanwhile I have a new drive coming in the next few days, 32gb and "ReadyBoost certified"... though at this point it seems most likely something up with my system that it's not appearing. I don't have a SSD either, so I have no idea what's up. Wish it would work, could sure use the extra boost..

ZeEmperor's Avatar Semisalis

Enemy attacked my Strasbourg,i attacked them back,clicked attack and bam CRASH TO DESKTOP piece of ----

I will also put up an "experimental" artillery adjustment for testing soon, to see if the artillery shrapnel amounts could be part of the issue.

Russia have managed to weaponize the loneliest and saddest people on the internet by providing them with (sometimes barechested) father figures whom they can adhere to in order to justify their hatred for the current establishment and the society that rejects them.

According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10

ModManager doesn't work for me. This is the message I get upon loading:

Tiro

Hi, I solved the problem with crashing in custom battle . I tried to copy there sounds mod "Diggys Arty Sounds" and it works! No crashes! And it is great, because Diggys arty sounds are great!

So, you download Diggys Arty Sounds and copy to NTW/data. And in Mod Manager mark the Diggys arty sounds and play. Have fun!

Download link http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...y-Sounds-VIDEO

Razer Gameboost seemed to make crashes happen less. Also it has a pretty high quality video recording software.

I read new articles and it's possible to put 8 keys with a maximum of 256 gb added. It's also possible to add more than 4 gb on a single key with that trick: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RGxPNP-ImU.
    Now I have 32gb +16 gb on my computer. I will see if there is a real difference for total war between 8gb added and what I have now 45gb...

Hessian Grenadier's Avatar Laetus

i have a question, so napoleon never crashes for me, but TGW sometimes does (in battle) but only after its been running for a while, or it either crashes right away and then runs smoothly again. I just dont understand why it crashes, since its a mod of napoleon,which never crashes.
    or maybe this is a dumb question sorry! I'm just new to this and I was curious.

HG

Most games are designed with a specific memory usage limit in mind. I don't know off the top of my head, but, when the game exceeds that limit (be it either through texture, model or sound effect - I don't know why the last one matters - or any other conceivable form of overload) it will invariably close down without any crash prompts. Solutions are playing on smaller scales, reducing graphics settings (should work) or using Zera's sound mod which to my understanding addresses some of the sound effect issues.

Hello, this mod is super. Unfortunately, the game crashes always with me from when tanks are destroyed or bunker. In addition, still missing in the scenario campaign map modeling of the Ottomans. The generals do not have old pictures and the ministers. The soldiers who are moving on the scenario campaign map also old. The ships also.

It would also be good if you would integrate languages ​​in the mod. As with the Darth Mod German, Spanish Frensh .....

Hi guys,please let me ask one thing. While deployable defences are editable in Napoleon Total War,why do we suffer that much for them? Here is the proof,this is from "NM_Texture mod"

Edit: Please do not misunderstand. I know your work is extremely hard. It is just a suggestion.
    Last edited by Murat ÖZCAN; February 06, 2014 at 06:50 PM.
    ------ An American Civil War Modification for Total War : Shogun 2 ------

, im done- i did set lowest graphic from ultra (where i had freaking 60 fps) and still game crashes in 3/4 of the battles, im sick of it - this mod is greatest of all i seen but those crashes make it unplayable.
    All Orks is equal, but some Orks are more equal dan uvvas.

I have a bit of a problem with the Artillery pieces in this mod. For some reason, when I select Artillery, or just have artillery in general, the game crashes. Usually only whenever I select the artillery or otherwise it just CTDs randomly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast