Thread: RSM 1.1 Issue reporting and gameplay feedback

Icon4 RSM 1.1 Issue reporting and gameplay feedback

Use this thread when posting your gameplay feedback or issue reports concerning RSM 1.1.

Issue reports should comply with the following template:

• Description of the issue
    • Campaign where issue was encountered
    • What faction you're playing
    • Any specific unit or feature involved
    • Additional information or details

Gameplay feedback should be very specific in order to fully understand any change requests etc.

I will use this information to update the mod and correct any bugs in the mod. Please note that not every issue is a bug and may be the result of a design decision instead

Default Re: RSM 1.1 Issue reporting and gameplay feedback

Having played a bit of the FOTS I found that the lack of Rank Fire made larger unit sizes difficult, because only units with kneel fire can fire past the first rank most of the time and the AI tended to have its infantry running around in columns and then staying like that so they lose most shootouts.
    Matchlock Kachi seem to me more like a unit that should be spreading out like light infantry rather than marching around in ranks like line infantry. Being Samurai I believe they would have preferred to spread out, this could also help to keep traditional factions relevant in the late game when fighting modern armies.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzard View Post
    Having played a bit of the FOTS I found that the lack of Rank Fire made larger unit sizes difficult, because only units with kneel fire can fire past the first rank most of the time and the AI tended to have its infantry running around in columns and then staying like that so they lose most shootouts.
    Matchlock Kachi seem to me more like a unit that should be spreading out like light infantry rather than marching around in ranks like line infantry. Being Samurai I believe they would have preferred to spread out, this could also help to keep traditional factions relevant in the late game when fighting modern armies.
    Good feedback Hazzard+Rep

I will keep it in mind for the v1.2 update.

Quote Originally Posted by Iutland View Post
    Good feedback Hazzard+Rep

I will keep it in mind for the v1.2 update.
    And here I was worried I would be told my feedback was useless and get told that I "wasn't seeing the true vision" modders for Total War seem to have better social skills than most modders.

And here I was worried I would be told my feedback was useless and get told that I "wasn't seeing the true vision" modders for Total War seem to have better social skills than most modders.
    As in real life, people are different and behave differently Thank you for your compliment

emzu's Avatar Libertus

First of all, kudos for what looks like a very nice mod. I think it might be that sweetspot between DarthMod and Radious Mod.

As with any mods, I'm playing a multiplayer co-op campaign with my buddy - I'm playing as Uesugi (VH), he's Tokugawa (N). After a few turns of getting to know the mod intrinsically, we set off to do some conquests. My buddy deals with Oda and Saito (Owari and Mino provinces IIRC), while I go and deal with Jimbo. Unit balance seems spot on! Samurai are tough to crack, but will eventually die if enough Ashigaru peasants are sacrif... I mean, if enough resources are contributed to the task.

I know it's pretty early to judge, but hey, any feedback is nice! So far, there is only 1 issue that bothers us, and that is the campaign map movement. The distances the units can cover in one turn are mind-blowing, giving you no way to predict enemy movements or just give yourself enough time to prepare in a slightest way for an attack.
    Example: As Uesugi, I joined the war against Hojo, who attacked my vassal Yamanouchi (Kozuke province or something). Unfortunately, a huge Hojo stack managed to capture my vassal's province. I guessed, correctly as it turned out, that given the access, I would be the next target. However, I thought that the hostile forces would need at least 2 turns to get me, which allowed me to recruit some additional forces. To my surprise, the next turn, Hojo's army not only reached my capital (Echigo), but also went left (about 1/3 of a way) towards the province that I captured from Jimbo (Etchu). This seems a bit too much of campaign movement abilities!

Similar situation happened to my buddy, who could freely transfer his units between his three provinces (From Mikawa, through Owari, to Mino). That's a lot! I was also attacked by surprise armies of Takeda and Ikko, which covered so much ground that it was unbelievable.

I'm just writing this here to confirm if this is working as intended - I know that those provinces aren't that big and that it might have been a step towards realism, but I prefer a bit slowed-pace gameplay TBH.. Otherwise, this mod looks like a great way to make one last tribute to Shogun 2, before Rome arrives in September.

Keep up the good work mate!
    Last edited by emzu; August 11, 2013 at 03:45 AM.

The Bold Burgundian's Avatar Ducenarius

Is anyone else having trouble getting Sinfonia Semplice to work with this mod? Even after I run it I still get cannon-bow sounds
    T.W.C.
    Total War Cynics

Aussie-tosser's Avatar Tiro

Yes, I'm having issues with it too.
    Cannon bow sounds hang around.
    Also, is it just me or are ranged units a bit too inaccurate?

Great work on this mod, dude Got some questions though (This is just what I have seen from custom battles. No campaign)The revolver cav now got a range of 20, which surprised me. Can you tell me why they got such a small range, since revolvers should be lethal at more than 12-15 meters The second is why some breech-loading troops got a higher reload speed than Carbine units, which also doesn't make sense to me.Third and final is the bow kachi units. Why do they got only 10 points higher in range than matchlock units while the senguko jidai period they got 60-70 more points in range. This also make little sense to me. And Idk if this is a bug but with the bow kachi when I used flaming arrows they would spread in all directions and not hit a single target. :OOnce again, great mod!

I think that units in FOTS should have the ability for all ranks to fire, this would even the playing field for the AI.
    By the way, fantastic mod! Having loads of fun with it.
    Last edited by Aussie-tosser; August 17, 2013 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Courtesy

Line Infantry are getting a ridiculously huge range compared to levy's, this just results in my line infantry getting free target practice on levies and gunning the entire unit down before moving in to deal with another unit in sieges.
    It also makes levy infantry seem completely useless in general campaign use when the difference in upkeep is so small.
    Last edited by Hazzard; August 20, 2013 at 01:39 PM.

First off, I just want to say this mod is excellent! As someone mentioned earlier it strikes a good balance between Darthmod and Radious. So, keep up the good work.

Now on to the feedback. I always play Nagoka on FotS.

1) Republican Infantry have low range. Despite the fact that both imperial and shogunate infantry (both standard and elite/guard) have a range of 260, the republican soldiers only have 220. However, they are holding the breech-loading rifles, which should have a higher range. (Thank you for this visual change) On a side note the Republican Guard does have 260, its just the standard infantry that have the lower range. Hopefully this was just an oversight, as the imperial forces have the less advanced minnie rifle, but retain the long range.

The forum is giving me errors, so I broke up my post.

2) Guns at close range. I think that you took a good approach to the accuracy of the rifles, giving them longer range but nerfing their accuracy. However, it is annoying to see two ranks fire a volley at point-blank only to kill ~10 enemies, which seems similar to the amount of enemies killed at maximum range. If it would be possible a more dynamic accuracy would be much appreciated.

3) Artillery models. While I liked they way you approached the artillery, I think it would be even better if you could get together with weirdoancestor and see if you could borrow some of the models in his artillery mod. (He has a 3 in. ordnance rifle model he got from the American Civil War Team I believe). Though it's only visual, it would certainly add some more flair to the mod.

4) Levy Tweaks. I think might want to consider taking a leaf out of Darthmod's playbook and consider increasing the unit size of the levy units, which would more effectively convey their role as cannon fodder. Also, you might want to consider equipping them with matchlocks instead of snyders, as it would better explain their lack of range.

5) Region Specialties. Again, this is an area that Darth did well. He tweaked the regional specialties (iron, copper, etc.) to actually reward you for investing in the modern version. As it stands they give less wealth, the same amount of resources, a marginal higher town growth (which will take a long time to equal the wealth difference), but cost extra unhappiness. I believe the theory was that you would have to sacrifice to modernize, but as modernization occurs so fast already, the system could be tweaked.

Final part.

So, to close I'll list some of my favorite aspects.

Unit details. The attention to detail in the units is impressive. Backpacks for line infantry. Randomized hats. Uniforms for artillery crews. Extra horses on the heavier guns. Faction specific rifles. They all come together to make much more visually impressive game.
    Sharpshooters. Thank you for making these units useful, if anything they are overpowered now.
    Rifle ranges. As I said above I think you made the right decision to increase the range, while lowering the accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie-tosser View Post
    I think that units in FOTS should have the ability for all ranks to fire, this would even the playing field for the AI.
    By the way, fantastic mod! Having loads of fun with it.
    Whoops, just realized that you have already given units the ability for all ranks to fire without a special ability.
    + REP

Quote Originally Posted by Keizo View Post
    First of all, kudos for what looks like a very nice mod. I think it might be that sweetspot between DarthMod and Radious Mod.

As with any mods, I'm playing a multiplayer co-op campaign with my buddy - I'm playing as Uesugi (VH), he's Tokugawa (N). After a few turns of getting to know the mod intrinsically, we set off to do some conquests. My buddy deals with Oda and Saito (Owari and Mino provinces IIRC), while I go and deal with Jimbo. Unit balance seems spot on! Samurai are tough to crack, but will eventually die if enough Ashigaru peasants are sacrif... I mean, if enough resources are contributed to the task.

I know it's pretty early to judge, but hey, any feedback is nice! So far, there is only 1 issue that bothers us, and that is the campaign map movement. The distances the units can cover in one turn are mind-blowing, giving you no way to predict enemy movements or just give yourself enough time to prepare in a slightest way for an attack.
    Example: As Uesugi, I joined the war against Hojo, who attacked my vassal Yamanouchi (Kozuke province or something). Unfortunately, a huge Hojo stack managed to capture my vassal's province. I guessed, correctly as it turned out, that given the access, I would be the next target. However, I thought that the hostile forces would need at least 2 turns to get me, which allowed me to recruit some additional forces. To my surprise, the next turn, Hojo's army not only reached my capital (Echigo), but also went left (about 1/3 of a way) towards the province that I captured from Jimbo (Etchu). This seems a bit too much of campaign movement abilities!

Similar situation happened to my buddy, who could freely transfer his units between his three provinces (From Mikawa, through Owari, to Mino). That's a lot! I was also attacked by surprise armies of Takeda and Ikko, which covered so much ground that it was unbelievable.

I'm just writing this here to confirm if this is working as intended - I know that those provinces aren't that big and that it might have been a step towards realism, but I prefer a bit slowed-pace gameplay TBH.. Otherwise, this mod looks like a great way to make one last tribute to Shogun 2, before Rome arrives in September.

Keep up the good work mate!
    Thank you for your thorough feedback Keizo

I have just finished the update to v1.2 and I have reduced the campaign map movement for the Sengoku campaign so it is much closer to vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Tactical [N]Duke View Post
    Great work on this mod, dude Got some questions though (This is just what I have seen from custom battles. No campaign)The revolver cav now got a range of 20, which surprised me. Can you tell me why they got such a small range, since revolvers should be lethal at more than 12-15 meters The second is why some breech-loading troops got a higher reload speed than Carbine units, which also doesn't make sense to me.Third and final is the bow kachi units. Why do they got only 10 points higher in range than matchlock units while the senguko jidai period they got 60-70 more points in range. This also make little sense to me. And Idk if this is a bug but with the bow kachi when I used flaming arrows they would spread in all directions and not hit a single target. :OOnce again, great mod!
    Thank you

The Spencer repeating rifle as used by cavalry units in RSM has the lowest reload time of all rifles. Revolver range is increased to 30m in v1.2 and I have increased the Bow Kachi range to make them more useful. Thank you for your the helpful feedback.

Line Infantry are getting a ridiculously huge range compared to levy's, this just results in my line infantry getting free target practice on levies and gunning the entire unit down before moving in to deal with another unit in sieges.
    It also makes levy infantry seem completely useless in general campaign use when the difference in upkeep is so small.
    The difference in rifle range has been reduced in v1.2 and Levy unit size has been increased to make them more useful. Thanks for the notification

Quote Originally Posted by SdBattlefront View Post
    The forum is giving me errors, so I broke up my post.

2) Guns at close range. I think that you took a good approach to the accuracy of the rifles, giving them longer range but nerfing their accuracy. However, it is annoying to see two ranks fire a volley at point-blank only to kill ~10 enemies, which seems similar to the amount of enemies killed at maximum range. If it would be possible a more dynamic accuracy would be much appreciated.

3) Artillery models. While I liked they way you approached the artillery, I think it would be even better if you could get together with weirdoancestor and see if you could borrow some of the models in his artillery mod. (He has a 3 in. ordnance rifle model he got from the American Civil War Team I believe). Though it's only visual, it would certainly add some more flair to the mod.

4) Levy Tweaks. I think might want to consider taking a leaf out of Darthmod's playbook and consider increasing the unit size of the levy units, which would more effectively convey their role as cannon fodder. Also, you might want to consider equipping them with matchlocks instead of snyders, as it would better explain their lack of range.

5) Region Specialties. Again, this is an area that Darth did well. He tweaked the regional specialties (iron, copper, etc.) to actually reward you for investing in the modern version. As it stands they give less wealth, the same amount of resources, a marginal higher town growth (which will take a long time to equal the wealth difference), but cost extra unhappiness. I believe the theory was that you would have to sacrifice to modernize, but as modernization occurs so fast already, the system could be tweaked.
    Very good feedback SdBattlefront, I like your suggestion regarding Region Specialities, which I have implemented in v1.2+Rep

Republican infantry has slightly higher range than Line inf now (220m vs 210m)

Besides that I have tweaked the Levy units (see my reply to Hazzard) and I have made the ranged weapons a little bit more accurate than in v1.1 and made some adjustments in order to get some degree of dynamic accuracy

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie-tosser View Post
    Whoops, just realized that you have already given units the ability for all ranks to fire without a special ability.
    + REP
    Thanks a lot Aussie-Tosser

There were however some units in v1.1 that didn't have ranked fire, so I have made certain that most units have ranked fire now