Thread: Neapolitan Uniforms 1800 - 1806

Default Neapolitan Uniforms 1800 - 1806

Does anyone knows what uniforms were worn by the troops of the Bourbonic Kingdom of Naples during that period (before Napoleon conquered his kingdom)? The Vinkhuijzen collection of military uniforms only covers it up to 1801 and later...

Prince of Essling's Avatar Napoleonic Enthusiast
    Patrician

Default Re: Neapolitan Uniforms 1800 - 1806

Some examples for the Two Sicilies are attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Battaglione di Orbetello I.jpg   Battaglione di Orbetello II.jpg   Cacciatori Campani.jpg   Cav. Reg. Principe Secondo.jpg   Cav. Reg. Principessa.jpg  

Reale Alemagna II.jpg   Reale Alemagna.jpg   Uffiziale di cavalleria.jpg   Uffiziali di fanteria.jpg   Granadieri Reali.jpg  

Sign DLC petition for improved map for NTW
    Useful Websites |Napoleon: Masters of Europe |
    The Wardrobe of 1805 |Napoleon: Art of War|
    Frederick the Great: Art of War|
    Under the Patronage of Gunny
    "Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

Patrician

Examples of Provincial infantry (red) & cavalry (blue), regular artillery, light infantry (green).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6.jpg   7.jpg   17.jpg   18.jpg   Cacciatori Aprutini.jpg  

Cacciatori Campani.jpg   Corpo Reale - artillery.jpg  
    "Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

Good! From which year are those?

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by D.Sebastian View Post
    Good! From which year are those?
    They cover the period 1800 to 1804 (according to the plates in "L'Escercito Borbonico dal 1789 al 1815" produced by Stato Maggiore dell'Escercito Ufficio Storico" - the authors are Giancarlo Boeri & Piero Crociani). Although the next set of plates in the book show 1808 onwards - I suspect the 1800-1804 uniform stayed in use to 1806 as there are no references to newer styles until an illustration of a new uniform for the infantry in 1807 (I am not clear from the text whether it was in fact adopted).
    Last edited by Prince of Essling; August 02, 2013 at 05:00 PM. Reason: clarification

Thank you! Do you have the illustration of this new uniform of 1807?

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by D.Sebastian View Post
    Thank you! Do you have the illustration of this new uniform of 1807?
    Will post when I can gain access to a scanner as mine has decided to temporarily (I hope) go on strike! It looks very similar to the attached picture which is post Napoleonic - the main differences are the shako, badge, cords & plume and the shoulder straps.

Patrician

As promised - the (proposed?) 1807 uniform......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scan_12-08-2013-08-54-46 copy_edited-1.jpg  

Patrician

To complete the picture here are uniforms for 1808-1812
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Granatiere estero.jpg   Granatiere reale.jpg   Macedonia Reale.jpg   Soldato di Cavalleria.jpg   Uffiziale di Cavalleria.jpg  

Uffiziale di Fanteria.jpg   Volteggiatore de Voluntari Eoli.jpg   Volteggiatore di linea.jpg   Volteggiatore di S.A. Rle..jpg   Voluntario Eolo.jpg  

Patrician

Further batch for 1808-1812
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Artigliere a Cavallo (1).jpg   Artigliere.jpg   Battaglione Macedoni.jpg   Cacciatore Albanese (1).jpg   Cacciatore Albanese.jpg  

Granatiere reale di campagna.jpg   Guida della Rl. Corona.jpg   Guida dello Stato Maggre. a Cavallo.jpg   Pioniere.jpg   Dragone leggiero de Volontari Siculi Montato.jpg  

I'm currently researching the uniforms worn by theNeapolitan troops that arrived in Malta between 1798 and 1800, to assist theMaltese and British troops against the French besieged within the walls ofValletta and other cities.
    During January 1800, a company and a half of NeapolitanArtillery arrived at Malta. In April 1800, a newly raised anduntrained battalion of Neapolitan infantry (900 men) under the command ofColonel Fardella also reached Malta to support the Maltese insurgents.
    Since my book reference locally is limited, I had resorted to the internet, butmost uniforms given are mainly those post-1806.
    Can any member please assist me in locating any of these uniforms? Anyassistance is appreciated.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by button_guru View Post
    I'm currently researching the uniforms worn by theNeapolitan troops that arrived in Malta between 1798 and 1800, to assist theMaltese and British troops against the French besieged within the walls ofValletta and other cities.
    During January 1800, a company and a half of NeapolitanArtillery arrived at Malta. In April 1800, a newly raised anduntrained battalion of Neapolitan infantry (900 men) under the command ofColonel Fardella also reached Malta to support the Maltese insurgents.
    Since my book reference locally is limited, I had resorted to the internet, butmost uniforms given are mainly those post-1806.
    Can any member please assist me in locating any of these uniforms? Anyassistance is appreciated.

Will see what I can track down, interested to read these two extracts from "the Regiments of the Malta garrison" website:
    http://maltaramc.com/regmltgar/neapregt.html#1800 Neapolitan Regiment Valde Mazzara
    http://maltaramc.com/regmltgar/neapart.html#1800 Neapolitan Artillery

Patrician

According to "L'Escercito Borbonico dal 1789 al 1815" produced by Stato Maggiore dell'Escercito Ufficio Storico" - the authors are Giancarlo Boeri & Piero Crociani) Regiment Valdimzzara in 1799 wore white coats with scarlet facings, brass buttons. Uniform would have been very similar to that in post 2 (for Battaglione di Orbetello) of this thread. Drunmers & musicians for most line regiments wore blue coats (but it is not clear as the entry shows a dash).

Artillery