Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Rome II Praise Thread

GussieFinkNottle's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Things you liked in Rome II

Pleasant surprises outside the main mechanics (which have been much debated) included:

-the animals and birds
    -tiny details on buildings and units that enrich the whole experience
    -the unit camera
    -multiplayer (which I have never tried before on a TW game, despite getting every one since Rome 1)
    -the legion system (which I expected to hate)
    -the province system (same as above)
    -custom battle maps chosen on world map
    -line of sight, and how it changes the battle experience (e.g. racing to be first to the top of a big hill)
    -and most of all the massively improved ambushes, they've really got the atmosphere right on this one whereas in previous TW games it always felt a bit underwhelming, the attacker didn't have as significant an advantage as they should

I'm thinking of doing a 'hidden gems' thread with a series of more detailed posts on surprising/interesting things in game, like little impressive details or Easter eggs
    Last edited by GussieFinkNottle; March 22, 2014 at 01:31 PM.
    A home without books is a body without soul - Marcus Tullius Cicero

If you rep me, please leave your name. Thx

Good points, well

Ability to use the campaign map to choose the battle map for custom battles - agreed, good point

When you take a settlement that isn't of your culture, you have to convert their building to your own - i was never really bothered by this as it added variety to the game, this settlement had been in x-cultures hands for 150 turns, so ofc it's not instantly x other culture in appearance

Greek Cities faction split - yes and other factions too, but you can't unite the greek factions(or can you?) and get their units and buildings added to a larger, empiric pool, you just let them be or destroy them

what else...

Provinces - you can view and manage multiple settlements on the fly - however they share happiness, culture and tax which is pretty boring for me, it's like having less settlements, plus you cannot choose which settlements to make into individual provinces

if you could have done this, had the older style building system from RTW or MTW2, plus the ability to assign a governor to the province who's influence and management would affect all the settlements within, the whole thing would have been amazing, even at late game you would have enough governors to manage your provinces

Ability to upgrade units to other units - great, it's a sad time in the old games where you just have to disband your level 9 Hastati because you can't retrain them, only to recruit low level legionaries who are generally worse - being able to upgrade after the "reforms" is good

the idea needed expanding on though, like being able to upgrade low level hoplites to higher ones ect, but it's still a step in the right direction

More custom settlements - carthage, rome and the rest, custom settlements are great - i love the custom settlements in third age TW, having some variety at the least adds to the game

overall, the settlements quality and variety is lacking, but the amount of detail put into R2 in general suffers from this, if the modding community could add/modify settlements to their will, we'd see a lot of great settlements coming in, i hope after the DLC-whoring has finished we might see this

Honestly, the game itself doesn't have too many redeeming qualities, which is a shame - i've played through several campaigns, but they're lifeless and pretty hard to get into

but, my fav mods are extended greek mod for RTW1 and stainless steel for MTW2, both are excellent mods with massive detail added to them, so i'm spoiled

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

Upgrading your armies with traditions and experience having a big effect on troops quality. I hope they expand upon this is the next game.

Big fan of combined naval/land battles. There is no better type of battle in this history of the series than attack an huge city by sea and by land with a 40 unit stack.

Again I hope they keep and expand upon this feature. It's such a great feeling when you send your best unit of troops to disembark on the beach while being showered with arrows and they still make it to the enemy and slaughter them.
    Last edited by Ishan; March 22, 2014 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Double Post

Features I like?

Army system: This worked out better then I had actually expected. Making decisions on how to best utilize my armies has made the campaign a lot more enjoyable, and the armies gaining experience and gaining levels makes me view them as not being expendable units anymore.

Province/Region system: Also worked out better then expected. Focusing regions/provinces on particular things, promotes better planning and strategic gameplay then simply copy/pasting everything, or having no consequences to not planning out your development.

Transports: Actually makes a navy rather important, unless you like watching invasions landing on your shores. By extension, the navies being able to disembark means you can't just ignore them either. Neglecting your navy in Rome 2, can lead to the AI attacking where you least expect.

Just a few off the top of my head.

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
    Features I like?

Army system: This worked out better then I had actually expected. Making decisions on how to best utilize my armies has made the campaign a lot more enjoyable, and the armies gaining experience and gaining levels makes me view them as not being expendable units anymore.
    Yeah that's what I mean - coupled with the traditions and limited amount of units every troop becomes valuable. There is no worse feeling than losing an entire unit of gold chevron troops you've had for ages.
    Last edited by Sharpe; March 22, 2014 at 02:01 PM.

1) New general led armies - Big improvement overall but the inability to recruit reinforcements when in enemy territory is a step back for the series.

2) Cities looks gorgeous

3) Enemy AI use of cavalry in open battles. It's the only unit the AI knows how to use effectively.

4) Food + culture system is simple but effective.

5) They gave different formations for pike phalanxes and hoplite phalanxes.

6) The multiplayer campaign seems relatively bug-free now.

7) Turn times are now really nice and fast (Till endgame).

8) Province system. I like the way you can treat several territories as one, but I hate the lack of buildable walls and the inability to individually tax settlements.

9) Thanks to Rome 2 I will NEVER make the mistake of pre-ordering any game ever again.

That's about it, everything else has been a colossal step backwards for the series.

Biarchus

Combined land and Sea battles

New province system

All the minor factions, there is alot of them and not just rebel faction

Army number dependent on how big an empire you have

The new map and different map screens like political map

Line of sight

Choosing custom maps on the campaign map

Most mod friendly TW game on the new engine

Sun Jetzu's Avatar Vicarius

I'm a big fan of the graphics, the visuals, the history, and the sheer size of the map.
    Everyone of my campaigns is unique.
    One Punch Man Series VS My Hero Academia Series - Who's Better?

baptistus's Avatar Senator

-army tradition
    -graphics/visuals
    -the campaign map

Hoplite of Ilis's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Jetzu View Post
    I'm a big fan of the graphics, the visuals
    Are you talking about Rome 2 or Shogun 2? I only like it about the timeframe. All else are just a "could have".

Quote Originally Posted by Architect of Doom View Post
    Most of the hardcore TW fans are deeply disappointed at Rome II (myself included), but there are some good features in the game (well, atleast I consider there to be some). So I created this thread so you guys can say what you liked in Rome II. Here's my personal list: Ability to use the campaign map to choose the battle map for custom battles - In the first Rome, there were always those battle you fought on the campaing map that had very good battle maps, but they weren't in the custom battle map options. In Rome II we have this new system, which I appreciate.
    This was possible in Rome 1 and Medieval 2 with debug mode and the map maker under options iirc.
    Last edited by limith; March 22, 2014 at 06:44 PM.

Default Re: Official TW: Rome II Praise Thread

I really like the Army system coupled with the settlement garrisons. That was huge for me. I hated having to recruit garrisons for cities in RTW. I also really like the province system since it makes it quicker to manage every settlement plus gives a incentive to conquer certain settlements.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    Upgrading your armies with traditions and experience having a big effect on troops quality. I hope they expand upon this is the next game.

Big fan of combined naval/land battles. There is no better type of battle in this history of the series than attack an huge city by sea and by land with a 40 unit stack.

Again I hope they keep and expand upon this feature. It's such a great feeling when you send your best unit of troops to disembark on the beach while being showered with arrows and they still make it to the enemy and slaughter them.
    Oh, the combined naval/land battles, I forgot to include them. But I still think they could be much more epic.

Quote Originally Posted by limith View Post
    This was possible in Rome 1 and Medieval 2 with debug mode and the map maker under options iirc.
    I didn't know about that, will surely take a look at it.

IlluminatiRex's Avatar Are you on the square?
    badge wearer

Blog Entries

I really enjoy the the looks the game has, people say the game looks ugly, but I think it's far from that!
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Holmes
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Fisher
    Can the Army win the war before the Navy loses it?

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatiRex View Post
    I really enjoy the the looks the game has, people say the game looks ugly, but I think it's far from that!
    In terms of overall prettiness I say I would prefer Shogun 2 but what I really like about Rome II is settlement battles (not the AI !). After so many games fighting in forts now settlemets really look like settlements.
    Last edited by AngryTitusPullo; March 23, 2014 at 09:01 PM.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

IlluminatiRex's Avatar Are you on the square?
    badge wearer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    In terms of overall prettiness I say I would prefer Shogun 2 but what I really like about Rome II is settlement battles (not the AI !). After so many games fighting in forts now settlemets really look like settlements.
    The shininess of things in Shogun 2 kinda ruins that for me by a bit, but they're both good looking games.

And yeah, I agree with that. Settlements actually being settlements is really awesome.
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Holmes
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Fisher
    Can the Army win the war before the Navy loses it?

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatiRex View Post
    I think the same thing. i almost cheated myself out of not getting it. Was actually a plesent surprise. even runs on my laptop!
    AHH! Rattus Vulgaris! (The Siberian Hamster.) - Nightshade (NES)

Crandar's Avatar Civitate

I agree and subscribe.
    Letter of Marque granted from: Siblesz (Oh noble master!)
    Honored Patron of: Invoker47, Epistolary Richard, Simetrical, and Brodiseus

Animis opibusque parati et animus facit nobilem!

I think the graphics are okay (still has performance issues mind), although I would like more unique cities. That is actually my main complaint in regards to the battles. I enjoy the combat more in vanilla than in most mods, I don't want long battles and men barely moving. I want action and eye candy.

The campaign map on the other hand needs a lot of work.

joedreck's Avatar Artifex

Not a perfect game (as basic best TW ever), but with some mods really great. I never played a TW game as many hours as Rome 2.

Thank you for that CA.
    Edictum mod adds new edicts to Rome II. http://www.twcenter.net / YouTube: Edictum Mod / Click here for Edictum Mod on steam
    Vote Brain Slug for president.