55 36.91%
  • I am not happy with Rome 2

94 63.09%
Page 4 of 192 FirstFirst 12345678910111213142954104 ... LastLast

Thread: Rome II Complaint Thread

Aeneas Veneratio's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: is it in the details?

What bothers you most? The OP's ability to make threads... g

While the OP, and other people like him are making threads, I will take a band of Spartans to the Hot Gates* and tell the Macedonians to stay out of my lands!

*Oh yeah, the Gates are in, CA said so.
    R2TW stance: Ceterum autem censeo res publica delendam esse

Default Re: The ships are too fast, should be toned down

Quote Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
    I am not asking for absolute realism, I am just asking for them to be toned down to at least the level of Empire or Napoleon's ships. They worked fine.
    I think they should make the ships even faster. Actually, CA should implement a land unit and naval unit speed adjustment that only allows players to increase their speed. And once the speed is increased, they cannot lower it.

I love CA. I want to marry them.
    Have a Great Day! I Love You! You're doing Great! Keep up the good Work! You're the Best!

New Rome 2:Total War - Raise Shield DLC and Arrows on Shields add-on!!!

Well paddle steam ships were not necessarily faster than Galleys going at a limited 'sprint' top speed of 10 knots but it was their other serious advantages that made up for it. 10 knots is pretty fast.

'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Is it possible for a thread to jump the shark? Cause I swear that happens when certain members post.

Aeneas Veneratio's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I don't recall any ingame depictions of ships, since the Battle of the Nile. The latest footage I have seen of ships was a cinematic and a cinematic doesn't really show ingame "realities" that truthfully.
    R2TW stance: Ceterum autem censeo res publica delendam esse

I think 1.50 is what he is referring to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1LiN...LFLHvrCInghqcw

It's a 'Raiding Hemiolia'.
    Last edited by Markas; August 01, 2013 at 02:40 PM.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Here is one of the videos:

Starting at 1:145, you can clearly see how absurdly fast that ship moves. When the player stops moving the camera, the ship's rocket speed is clearly visible.

Oh, I got ninja'd by Markas.
    Last edited by General Maximus; August 01, 2013 at 02:43 PM.
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक

neither, what bothers me most are:

Ability to let your troops move forward (backwarts or turn) is gone. Especially when having phalanxes this would be very handy but helas it is gone. Really dunno why because it worked great in the past three games since its introduction in Empire.

No possibility to gift regions? For example when I help allies and recapture one of their lost provinces it is extremely annoying if I can't give them back.

I think the Germans will turn out very different than the gauls/celts.
    the 300 style spartans contribute to fun. (actually the spartans from Rome2 look better than the very strange outfitted spartans in 300
    Romans look fine to me. You have a point though with the agents but it doesnt bothers me
    bronze age Egyptians. Does anyone really know how the common footfolk looked like, which isnt written about much.

Actually I think there are a lot of other things that would bother me a hell of a lot more than these.
    Overall looking forward to playing it

Default Re: Testudo fix

torongill's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Well paddle steam ships were not necessarily faster than Galleys going at a limited 'sprint' top speed of 10 knots but it was their other serious advantages that made up for it. 10 knots is pretty fast.

Yeah, but 9 knots(16.7 kmh) is top speed, which IIRC from the Olympias trials could be sustained just for a couple of minutes after which the rowers would need to "take ten" and would render the ship useless. Lighter ships like the Hemiolia and the Trihemiolia were IIRC just a bit faster - but they were much more agile, could maintain the top speed for a longer periods and their "cruise speed" was generally higher. Their light construction on the other hand made them unsuitable for ramming heavy ships, which is why they were best used for merchant raiding and piracy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernicus II View Post
    What's EB?
    "I Eddard of the house Stark, Lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North, sentence you to die."
    "Per Ballista ad astra!" - motto of the Roman Legionary Artillery.
    Republicans in all their glory...

Quote Originally Posted by Candy_Licker View Post
    Thanks for posting it , it clearly shows how the Testudo in the game is simply erroneously different than the actual roman testudo :

------CONAN TRAILER--------
    RomeII Realistic Heights mod
    Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    2005-2006 Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.
    actually modding skyrim [/SIZE]

Sorry for the above post of mine. I was referring to someone who has now deleted their post. I don't consider criticism jumping the shark, unless you have nothing to back it up with.(not you guys)

Quote Originally Posted by torongill View Post
    Yeah, but 9 knots(16.7 kmh) is top speed, which IIRC from the Olympias trials could be sustained just for a couple of minutes after which the rowers would need to "take ten" and would render the ship useless. Lighter ships like the Hemiolia and the Trihemiolia were IIRC just a bit faster - but they were much more agile, could maintain the top speed for a longer periods and their "cruise speed" was generally higher. Their light construction on the other hand made them unsuitable for ramming heavy ships, which is why they were best used for merchant raiding and piracy.
    Yeah a very limited 'sprint' speed in a galley, but I recall the crew were volunteer grad students rather than professional oarsmen. I've never been able to find much info on the speeds of the Heliolia but my guess is it'll be one of the fastest oar-powered ships in the game.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Stavroforos View Post
    Dio and Plutarch only mention the static testudo with all sides protected by shields. Do you have any source which backs up the claims you are making?
    I saw it in Gladiator in the 1st battle and the movie Centurion.

DarrenTotalWar's Avatar Video/Podcast Creator
    Citizen

The testudo looked brilliant in my opinion, and historically accurate. They aren't Robots. It was realisitcally not perfect.

Check out my latest video: Unit Expansion Mods

Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS ts View Post
    Thanks for posting it , it clearly shows how the Testudo in the game is simply erroneously different than the actual roman testudo :

That's how a testudo should look like if it's supposed to be mobile. I wonder why CA have left all three areas exposed as opposed to just two.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavroforos View Post
    And I'm not doubting that the Romans did advance in testudo formation. This was mainly used in sieges as opposed to on the battlefield, where it was much more important to protect from projectiles being fired from above than it was from projectiles being fired from the side. I haven't seen a source mentioning the use of an advancing testudo on the battlefield, but I have seen it many times in the case of siege warfare.

Moreover, the times when the formation was used on the battlefield, it has been explicitly stated by two authors that this was a static formation, not a mobile one. I'm asking if Prometheus has a source which says that there was a mobile testudo which advanced with all sides covered by shields, since this would be impossible practically.
    Okay, I think I understand you a little better now. Though primarily useful in sieges, I don't see why it can't be used in the field. Whether it's advancing or not is a little bit of a moot point, you either are in the formation, or you aren't.

I don't see why side shields would be impossible. The guys on the left side of the formation huddle really close to the second most outer line, and hold their shields normally, or a little higher. The guys on the right side of the formation do the same, except perhaps they'd hold their shield with their right arm instead of the left, then switch it back when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by HolyRoman View Post
    The testudo looked brilliant in my opinion, and historically accurate. They aren't Robots. It was realisitcally not perfect.
    Agreed. And the Testudo formation is an ability and entirely separate from units running and protecting themselves with their shields which is what we saw in some earlier screens.

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Bronze Age Egyptians
    I loathe those who keep whining about this.