• I am happy with Rome 2

55 36.91%
  • I am not happy with Rome 2

94 63.09%
Page 2 of 192 FirstFirst 1234567891011122752102 ... LastLast

Thread: Rome II Complaint Thread

Default Re: Testudo fix

Quote Originally Posted by Stavroforos View Post
    Yeah, I can also see a lot of reenactors who weigh 200kg, so not the best source.

But in any case, can you link me to a mobile testudo formation where all sides are covered, and then show me the Roman source that backs that up?
    Did you ever read any of ancient books , texts etc? I can't make a whole list of comprhensive quotes just for you neither I have the time for it, I am sure you can find a lot simply by googling it around .

------CONAN TRAILER--------
    RomeII Realistic Heights mod
    Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    2005-2006 Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.
    actually modding skyrim [/SIZE]

Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS ts View Post
    Did you ever read any of ancient books , texts etc? I can't make a whole list of comprhensive quotes just for you neither I have the time for it, I am sure you can find a lot simply by googling it around .
    First of all, since you're the one making a thread about how a testudo should be, you should be the one providing the sources.

Secondly, the only sources I've seen which actually describe the testudo are Cassius Dio and Plutarch, both of which say that the formation is static and immobile when being attacked by missile troops.

Quote Originally Posted by nubcaker View Post
    Stop complaining about a feature you haven't properly seen yet. Just wait until the game launches, try using the testudo, and THEN come back to make threads about it.
    This.
    Last edited by Darth Red; August 01, 2013 at 08:06 AM. Reason: insult

Maybe there is going to be a defensive testudo? Depicting the correct way the testudo was performed. It makes sense, since why name it the "Attacking Testudo" if there is only going to be one way to perform the testudo, wouldn't they just have called it "Testudo"?

Comes Domesticorum

It would be great if it's like that, since the attacking testudo would necessarily have the right side of the formation exposed.

|Sith|Galvanized Iron's Avatar Protector Domesticus

The Romans already got 105(!) armor, I don't think missile defense will be a huge issue for them regardless.
    Also responsible for the Roma Surrectum II Multiplayer mode
    Rest In Peace Colonel Muammar Gaddafi
    Forward to Victory Great Leader Assad!

It would be great if it's like that, since the attacking testudo would necessarily have the right side of the formation exposed.
    That makes no sense . The testudo did not gave exposed flanks itherwise would not be called testudo but tectum.
    The testudo was used to defend and at same time advance.

------CONAN TRAILER--------
    RomeII Realistic Heights mod
    Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    2005-2006 Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.
    actually modding skyrim [/SIZE]

Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS ts View Post
    That makes no sense . The testudo did not gave exposed flanks itherwise would not be called testudo but tectum.
    The testudo was used to defend and at same time advance.
    Dio and Plutarch only mention the static testudo with all sides protected by shields. Do you have any source which backs up the claims you are making?

Dio and Plutarch only mention the static testudo with all sides protected by shields. Do you have any source which backs up the claims you are making?
    I thought it was pretty well accepted that the Romans would advance in Testudo under missile fire, on their way to storm walls or whatever. This is almost like asking for sources that explicitly state that the Romans wore chainmail, or fought with a Gladius.

Though I think Prometheus complains way too much, it seems to me that you're on pretty shaky ground here, Stavroforos.

Arrow2daknee's Avatar Vicarius

The first time a agree with prom

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

This is a pretty bad formation of you ask me, the units already raise their shields infront of them when under arrow fire, all this does is make them slower and more vulnerable. This is a pretty old screen though, so maybe they fixed it?

Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Revan The Great View Post
    I thought it was pretty well accepted that the Romans would advance in Testudo under missile fire, on their way to storm walls or whatever. This is almost like asking for sources that explicitly state that the Romans wore chainmail, or fought with a Gladius.

Though I think Prometheus complains way too much, it seems to me that you're on pretty shaky ground here, Stavroforos.
    And I'm not doubting that the Romans did advance in testudo formation. This was mainly used in sieges as opposed to on the battlefield, where it was much more important to protect from projectiles being fired from above than it was from projectiles being fired from the side. I haven't seen a source mentioning the use of an advancing testudo on the battlefield, but I have seen it many times in the case of siege warfare.

Moreover, the times when the formation was used on the battlefield, it has been explicitly stated by two authors that this was a static formation, not a mobile one. I'm asking if Prometheus has a source which says that there was a mobile testudo which advanced with all sides covered by shields, since this would be impossible practically.

There is a video on ign with Al Bickman, I watched it earlier, but I forgot where it is, that showcases the testudo formation. I was exactly the same as the one on the wiki page where you got that quote. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Testudo_formation). The quote there is from Mark Antony describing the Testudo as a formation that protects the front and top of the formation, the quote you used is just below. The bottom quote sounds more like a testudo encompassing an entire army, whereas Mark Antonys' is describing an individual unit. I'm not sure if they will have the army wide testudo in the game, but it would seem like a huge challenge to code AI to get that one right.
    Rome > Darthmod Med2:K > SS6.4, Rule_Brittania, Broken Crescent Empire > Empire Realism Napoleon > Darthmod Shogun 2 > True Samurai, [WIP] Mettle Blades and Skills

Tired of changing steam Launcher options for Med 2/Kingdoms mods? use Kingdoms App Launcher

Funniest Thread in Rome 2 history: The new "you got the sandals wrong" thread.

Default etc.

What, in your opinion, is the worst breach of reality in that we have yet seen in Rome 2?

I would name a few:

Bronze Age Egyptians
    Late Romans in the early game (especially the campaign map models)
    Germans who look like Gauls
    Spartans directly out of 300

now: i fully support the game and intend to buy it - i'm simply curious if other people are bothered. this is by no means a complaint; it is in fact just a question, and as such cannot compel anyone to answer. if nothing bothers you, perhaps consider not voting.

Default Re: is it in the details?

whine more please

duplicate

I love every single aspect of the game especially the naval battles, unit cards and animations!!!!!!!!!!!!! Creative Assembly you rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know this is off topic to your thread but had to express my opinion, couldn't resist.

I love every single aspect of the game especially the naval battles, unit cards and animations!!!!!!!!!!!!! Creative Assembly you rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know this is off topic to your thread but had to express my opinion, couldn't resist.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksander the Average View Post
    What, in your opinion, is the worst breach of reality in that we have yet seen in Rome 2?

I would name a few:

Bronze Age Egyptians
    Late Romans in the early game (especially the campaign map models)
    Germans who look like Gauls
    Spartans directly out of 300
    There are also Hellenistic Egyptian units
    Hastati, Principes and Triarii are not late Romans. You are right about the campaign map models though.
    How do the Germans look like Gauls?
    Spartans don't look like in 300...in 300 they just wear a cape, shield, sword and helmet. In the game, they are also wearing armor. They look like from 200 years before the game though. (but just because of the corinthian helmet)
    Prof's Mods (Attila Mods)
    Creator of Polemarchia: Total War
    Under the patronace of Epistolary Richard
    <- Now with Attila screens

BalrogOfMorgoth's Avatar Decanus

Can we have a " nothing " vote, please ?

Yeah none of the above actually.