149. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am happy with Rome 2

55 36.91%
  • I am not happy with Rome 2

94 63.09%

Thread: Rome II Complaint Thread

Finn's Avatar Total Realism

Default Re: Official TW: Rome II Complaint Thread

CA's aspis shields are indeed too small. Rome 1 had the same problem, which is not a big issue, as long as it is fixable through modding. The aspis should be approximately 80 cm-1 meter in diameter. Below is an example of an aspis from RTR VII.

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

But to be fair the shield are to small, but if they were made any bigger they would need a new animation to make it look realistic.
    For me it works, but for a hoplites fan their world is ruined and I understand.
    Last edited by Maximinus Thrax; October 19, 2014 at 12:28 AM. Reason: continuity

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

Hanti's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: I hate my self when I am right! Rome II will remain unfinished!

Quote Originally Posted by Leving View Post
    In all probability Attila will still be a bad game and in my view Total War is going south at a rate of knots equivalent to Call of Duty.
    (...)
    The sad thing is that people will continue to buy their stuff because they don't know what they are missing out on. The simple truth is that you do not need a good product in the gaming industry to make money. All you need is a strong franchise name and a proficient marketing team.
    Yes. They do not need to create good TW game. They can sell bad game using strong franchise name for a while. Fortunately Rome 2 has weak franchise name. If Attila will be weak title, then next title will sell poorer. Until that moment, we should not expect any sensible attitude. For them it's all about money, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by VarrKhaitan View Post
    But to be fair the shield are to small, but if they were made any bigger they would need a new animation to make it look realistic.
    For me it works, but for a hoplites fan their world is ruined and I understand.
    Finally a person that understand us
    Thanks

A hoplite fan would be aware of different sizes for the aspis.
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by Setekh View Post
    They'd also be aware that there should be a dedicated hoplite phalanx combat animation: hoplite phalanx was not just a bunch of spearmen stood close together.

Quote Originally Posted by Leving View Post
    They'd also be aware that there should be a dedicated hoplite phalanx combat animation: hoplite phalanx was not just a bunch of spearmen stood close together.
    That's for sure. There is a big room for improvement in the way hoplites operate.
    The Armenian Issue

Hoplite shields NEVER EVER changed the size, just becuase Phillip and Alex beat them, doesn't mean anything because in fact they still fought in Alexander's army either as allies or even as Hyspaspistai (makedonian elite hoplites). Persians used to have hoplites also as allied troops or also their own version (Persian Kardaka hoplites).

The shield was reduced JUST for the phalangite concept, wich means...a decrease in size along with a increase in spear lenght...but hoplite shields for hoplite STYLED units still REMAINED.

Read a bit,for sake.

Edit: Even Carthagians fought in hoplite style.
    Last edited by irishron; October 20, 2014 at 05:20 PM. Reason: wub

Semisalis

Default Rome II

I have played more hours than most have time for on all previous Total War Games. I gave Rome II a shot this weekend, and it sank like a dirty brick. Diplomacy ruins campaign for me. Its a talent mastered through tactics of words and its so bad because you have no control and people do not want to trade. Why? Does not make sense that factions/countries would not want to prosper in times of war or peace. The "Epic" feel of Rome/Empire/Mid-evil had this factor that made every turn part of the history of your campaign. Unit variation, the lack of any feel of random events like the older games. The combat sucks, ship battles, wth is that? Its crash derby with wooden deflatable ships. There is no depth, no content that is a required feature of making a historical game. Its Total War for retards.
    I never lie to any man because I don't fear anyone. The only time you lie is when you are afraid -John Gotti

Default Re: Rome II

I assume you didnt bother to read the 300 or so pages of complaints/praises and reviews this website offers before trying it?

While i understand where you coming from, your playing a broken record.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenerife_Boy View Post
    Hoplite shields NEVER EVER changed the size, just becuase Phillip and Alex beat them, doesn't mean anything because in fact they still fought in Alexander's army either as allies or even as Hyspaspistai (makedonian elite hoplites). Persians used to have hoplites also as allied troops or also their own version (Persian Kardaka hoplites).

The shield was reduced JUST for the phalangite concept, wich means...a decrease in size along with a increase in spear lenght...but hoplite shields for hoplite STYLED units still REMAINED.

Read a bit,for sake.

Edit: Even Carthagians fought in hoplite style.
    You can easily Google ancient depictions of hoplites. You'll notice different sizes of shields. Make sure your claims are tightly sealed before telling other people to read.
    The Armenian Issue

You can easily Google ancient depictions of hoplites. You'll notice different sizes of shields. Make sure your claims are tightly sealed before telling other people to read.
    Yeah, show me, PROVE YOUR ARGUMENTS. I'm an ancient greek reenactor bro and I speak everyday with many of my mates from the different reenactment associations all around the world. This topic has been discussed for so long.

Ah, but as I like to prove what I'm saying. Here are a couple of pics:
    Vergina Armour, pressumably from King Phillip II. Main point here is...look the diameter of the reconstructed shield.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Here, my german mate Kurt as a Hyspaspist or elite Hoplite of the makedonian kingdom

Makedonian Tomb Painting and modern copy of a tomb relief:

Here again my mate with his fellas in formation.

This is just a couple of Illustrations:

Osprey image removed due to copyright issues - Maximinus Thrax

Go google and read a bit. I repeat!
    Last edited by Maximinus Thrax; October 22, 2014 at 11:39 AM. Reason: personal reference removed

Tim_Ward's Avatar Campidoctor
    Up High in the North, at the end of my rocky road

Default Re: What does Attila mean to Rome II and how is it linked?

I've played half way through one EE grand campaign as Rome with low settings on Ye Olde Laptope, and all I can say is that I really hope it is not the final word on what CA intended Rome 2 to be. While a major improvement which provides a genuinely enjoyable early game, by mid-game you still find a game which is static, boring and lacking depth. You still have more money than you can possibly spend. The AI still dithers aimlessly, moving armies around at random only occasionally attacking settlements and almost never defending. You still see AI armies on the open ocean for turns on end, or even in raiding stance. City management, after a certain point, sill ultimately consists of clicking on anything that might stop your you loosing too much food or public order simply to make sure your cash stockpile doesn't get embarrassingly large. No effort appears to have been made to improve the UI, which is as determinedly unusable as ever. CA do not seem to have realized that their relentless 'streamlining' and game play mechanics based largely on restrictions have left the player with nothing much to do after a 100 turns or so.

If that's CA's definitive take on the Republican to early Imperial Roman period of history and all that remains are balance tweaks bug fixes and unit/faction DLCs then that's just... sad.
    Last edited by Tim_Ward; October 28, 2014 at 08:18 AM.
    Dominion of Dust. A city of sand. Built your world of nothing. So how long did it stand?
    A 100 years? Now wasn't it grand? Built your world of nothing. How long did it stand?
    What did you think would happen? When did you think it would all fall down?
    Domain of dust in a land of sand. Did yourself right, so let's feel grand.
    Domain of dust in a land of sand. Now there's nowhere left to stand.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

You people do realize hoplites probably have disappeared by the time of R2TW already? It's rather pointless to discuss the accuracy of something at a specific time which didn't actually exist.....

I finally got R2TW working acceptably; The new graphics is great and color variants are far more natural and realistic, although siege battle becomes chaotic and very difficult to defend due to this. Battle mechanic and unit stats are terrible - why all archers have the same range, for example?

As with all other TW games, mods fix those minor issues. But now that CA is selling DLCs perhaps they should consider improving that.

The only other complaint I have is that I can't really buy any DLCs on Steam from Taiwan - it says "This item is currently unavailable in your region". Why would CA reject great customers like me?
    Last edited by AqD; October 29, 2014 at 08:52 AM.

texoman81's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by AqD View Post
    You people do realize hoplites probably have disappeared by the time of R2TW already? It's rather pointless to discuss the accuracy of something at a specific time which didn't actually exist.....

I finally got R2TW working acceptably; The new graphics is great and color variants are far more natural and realistic, although siege battle becomes chaotic and very difficult to defend due to this. Battle mechanic and unit stats are terrible - why all archers have the same range, for example?

As with all other TW games, mods fix those minor issues. But now that CA is selling DLCs perhaps they should consider improving that.

The only other complaint I have is that I can't really buy any DLCs on Steam from Taiwan - it says "This item is currently unavailable in your region". Why would CA reject great customers like me?
    hoplites were not gone by the time frame of this game, just less commonly used, as many converted to a Macedonian style phalanx instead. There are documented cased of hoplite warfare still being used well after the birth of Christ. Even Greeks and Etruscans in the Roman army often continued to fight as hoplites. I do think its a waste of time to nitpick the vanilla portrayal of hoplites when there are so many hoplite units available on the mod workshop. A vanilla total war will never be completely historically accurate, that is why we have mods. As much as i have complained about Rome II it is much more historically accurate than Rome I, especially if you ignore the Beasts and Daughters DLC.
    Last edited by texoman81; October 29, 2014 at 12:52 PM.

Mods, can't mod the animation of hoplites because CA didn't provided us with proper tools and the modding possibilities are very limited, don't know why???????????????

Mods, can't mod the animation of hoplites because CA didn't provided us with proper tools and the modding possibilities are very limited, don't know why???????????????
    your right modding animations is more limited, but some modders have managed to introduce new animations. I'm pretty sure there have been improved animations for axe/club and maybe sicas.

Quote Originally Posted by texoman81 View Post
    your right modding animations is more limited, but some modders have managed to introduce new animations. I'm pretty sure there have been improved animations for axe/club and maybe sicas.
    You know what we say around here: "Show me or it didn't happend!"

You know what we say around here: "Show me or it didn't happend!"
    i was afraid you were going to say that, but was too lazy to go look. A quick goggle found this
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...axe+animations
    a submod for DEI that adds axe animation.

went back and searched animation in the mod workshop and got 77 results, granted many of those aren't about battle animations, but i didn't feel like going through 77 mods.
    Sebidee's new unit tutorial even includes animations.
    Last edited by texoman81; October 29, 2014 at 08:08 PM.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

You are wrong.

Assembly Kit

The Assembly Kit is essentially a collection of tools and example data files that will help modders create bigger and better mods. It contains:

TWeak with the following two plugins
    DaVE – the game database editor
    Variant Editor – for editing the look of characters, units and ships
    BOB – for processing data including:
    Textures
    Models
    Animations
    Database tables
    Group formations
    Campaign starting positions
    Packing files into mod pack
    Exporters
    3ds max for models
    Motion Builder for animations
    Maya for animations
    Data
    Example data for each supported data type
    The complete database backend
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius