55 36.91%
  • I am not happy with Rome 2

94 63.09%
Page 1 of 192 12345678910112651101 ... LastLast

Thread: Rome II Complaint Thread

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

Default Rome II Complaint Thread

Moderation Staff have decided to open a Total War: Rome II Complaints thread, which will work similarly to older Empire: Total War criticism threads (1, 2). The main purpose of this thread is to facilitate reasonable discussion and keep the forums clean of duplicate threads. It is not intended for extended discussion on any specific complaint. Thus, moderation will use it's discretion to split healthy discussion to new threads as well as remove posts it deems necessary to prevent disruption, derailment, and other unsuitable behavior. Moderation Staff will also use its discretion to merge 'complaint threads' with this larger thread. Questions and concerns should be directed to a Moderator or Administrator, or posted in the Moderation Commentary Thread.

Regards,
    Total War Center Moderation Staff
    Last edited by Radzeer; December 07, 2014 at 10:13 AM. Reason: update

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

Default Rome II Complaint Thread

Moderation Staff have decided to open a Total War: Rome II Complaints thread, which will work similarly to older Empire: Total War criticism threads (1, 2). The main purpose of this thread is to facilitate reasonable discussion and keep the forums clean of duplicate threads. It is not intended for extended discussion on any specific complaint. Thus, moderation will use it's discretion to split healthy discussion to new threads as well as remove posts it deems necessary to prevent disruption, derailment, and other unsuitable behavior. Moderation Staff will also use its discretion to merge 'complaint threads' with this larger thread. Questions and concerns should be directed to a Moderator or Administrator, or posted in the Moderation Commentary Thread.

Regards,
    Total War Center Moderation Staff

Default Testudo fix

This is an extremely important issue for me ...
    The testudo portrayed so far by the game and I coudl see in pictures seems to be just a shieldrising over the heads and not a proper well formed testudo ...

Perhaps it is a automatic reaction of soldiers to arrow fire , perhaps there are two different types of testudo ...

but surely doesn't look like the "proper" testudo performed by disciplined roman troops .

The testudo was described as so thick that no arrow could pass throught and so strong that a chariot with horses could walk on it ...

something completely different from what showed

a very good representation was the one gived in RTWI ...

So will it be possible to see some pictures of the "proper" Roman testudo ?
    The Testudo needs to be closed from all sides apart the back and advance slowly ...

Sure they coudl also perform faster ones and some with open sides but those are not the proper testudo and the so much Iconic formation performed in reality by the ancient roman soldiers ...

So please will we have the proper testudo?

Among all of the different things I am complaining of this game ( apart the things I like that do not need much discussion ) this testudo thing is what bothers me above all and more than anything worrying me . I coudl even live with all the other campaign choices as long as are moddable , but a complex formation like a testudo hardly woudl be moddable and anyway is something so iconic that needs to be properly done by default .

It was perfectly represented in RTWI , do the same for RTWII as well please .
    I am not asking for all the many other formations or romans like ORbis , anticavalry etc, but just that the Testudo is properly represented with closed sides and thick shields interlocking and slow movement .

"This testudo and the way in which it is formed are as follows. The Baggage animals, the light-armed troops, and the cavalry are placed in the center of the army. The heavy-armed troops who use the oblong, curved, and cylindrical shields are drawn up around the outside, making a rectangular figure, and, facing outward and holding their arms at the ready, they enclose the rest. The others who have flat shields, form a compact body in the center and raise their shields over the heads of all the others, so that nothing but shields can be seen in every part of the phalanx alike and all the men by the density of the formation are under shelter from missiles. Indeed, it is so marvelously strong that men can walk upon it and whenever they come to a narrow ravine, even horses and vehicles can be driven over it."

Cassius Dio
    I can live with all the other unprecisions of the game , historical mistakes, errors , campaign design and so on , but at least make a good decent testudo .
    Last edited by PROMETHEUS ts; August 01, 2013 at 06:36 AM.

------CONAN TRAILER--------
    RomeII Realistic Heights mod
    Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    2005-2006 Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.
    actually modding skyrim [/SIZE]

Lord Dakier's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Testudo fix

"The testudo was described as so thick that no arrow could pass throught and so strong that a chariot with horses could walk on it..."

Prometheus, if you think that wasn't just Roman chest-beating then you'd be embarrassing yourself. The testudo had gaps in, it was just damn well hard to place an arrow so perfectly through the ones that was showing.
    We Came, We Saw, We Ran Away!

i think he has made a thread for the testudo like thrice
    it seems to be such a huuuge issue to him xD
    Last edited by Ahmad al-Fareed; August 01, 2013 at 06:31 AM.

ashbery76's Avatar Biarchus

A single light horse weights what around 500 kilograms so I doubt the little men back then would not buckle.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dakier View Post
    "The testudo was described as so thick that no arrow could pass throught and so strong that a chariot with horses could walk on it..."

Prometheus, if you think that wasn't just Roman chest-beating then you'd be embarrassing yourself. The testudo had gaps in, it was just damn well hard to place an arrow so perfectly through the ones that was showing.
    I don't think so :
    "This testudo and the way in which it is formed are as follows. The Baggage animals, the light-armed troops, and the cavalry are placed in the center of the army. The heavy-armed troops who use the oblong, curved, and cylindrical shields are drawn up around the outside, making a rectangular figure, and, facing outward and holding their arms at the ready, they enclose the rest. The others who have flat shields, form a compact body in the center and raise their shields over the heads of all the others, so that nothing but shields can be seen in every part of the phalanx alike and all the men by the density of the formation are under shelter from missiles. Indeed, it is so marvelously strong that men can walk upon it and whenever they come to a narrow ravine, even horses and vehicles can be driven over it."

Cassius Dio
    It holds a metaphoric description but it is used to give the idea of how was thick and strong , surely not just a shield rised packed formation with open sides .

Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Fallout 3 Modder

Stop complaining about a feature you haven't properly seen yet. Just wait until the game launches, try using the testudo, and THEN come back to make threads about it.

i always thought the proper one was impractical anyway - from a gameplay perspective
    did u use it in rome 1?

ath the other hand i have to admit the one shown in the teutoburg trailer didnt look like a proper testudo but with 4 weeks to go, i have doubts ca will change anything

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmad al-Fareed View Post
    i always thought the proper one was impractical anyway - from a gameplay perspective
    did u use it in rome 1?

ath the other hand i have to admit the one shown in the teutoburg trailer didnt look like a proper testudo but with 4 weeks to go, i have doubts ca will change anything
    There is another picture of the testudo performed by some romans in the latest scans of a magazine published some days ago , probably from the Introductory campaign ... shows romans with rised shields advancing and no sides covered or closed .

Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Fallout 3 Modder

Quote Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS ts View Post
    There is another picture of the testudo performed by some romans in the latest scans of a magazine published some days ago , probably from the Introductory campaign ... shows romans with rised shields advancing and no sides covered or closed .
    Could you provide a link or an image so that we can see the CA version ourselves?

If this is the biggest problem Rome II has I'll probably be spending most of my September indoors, warmed by the glow of my computer screen.

Interesting.........another minor cosmetic complaint by this guy.

Yeah....whatever.

gaunty14's Avatar Vicarius

If I was able to play RTW with Arcani/Screeching Women and an appalling unhistorical portrayal of Hellenic, Carthaginians, Barbarians, Roman and Eastern factions...come to think of it every faction

I think I can survive this detail. Who knows maybe you need to research the full testudo formation and in RTW2 (like the level of bayonet in ETW?)
    Last edited by Darth Red; August 01, 2013 at 08:05 AM. Reason: off topic

"will help build battle station for food" - or rep

he has opened his own thread to express his concerns. i think as long as he doesnt spam other threads it should be his good right to complain as much as he want. :p

DogSoldierSPQR's Avatar Senator

The Testudo is a big issue. It may not have been used all that much except for sieges but it was an iconic thing of the Romans. I really do hope that the Testudo that was shown in the Tuetoberg gameplay was just a simple automated formation where they just lift their shields up for arrows. I personally, along with Prometheus, would like to have a Testudo formation button in which I can press when I want to have a solid, mobile formation.

The Testudo that was shown would still be effective but it's not the Testudo that should be in there. It's visual appearance is very important.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmad al-Fareed View Post
    from a gameplay perspective did u use it in rome 1?
    It's a very efficient way to get your best troops as close as possible to the enemies walls while wasting their arrows in the process. Except for those towers, but whenever the archers do fire, this formation is very effective. You don't have to want it or use it, but this formation opened up potential for more tactics when sieging and goading enemy archers.
    Last edited by DogSoldierSPQR; August 01, 2013 at 07:27 AM.
    I personally invite you to check out my complete combat overhaul which will give you a completely new Rome 2 experience:
    (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ere!-(26-10-13)
    If you rep me, leave that beautiful name of yours so I know who you are
    That a salesperson at my door? Where my Gladius at??
    An empire always fails because it never sees the potential in the individual. The smaller state never fails because it has no choice but to... - DogSoldierSPQR

Comes Domesticorum

Dio's description of the testudo has me a bit confuse. All the men with cylindrical shields, so most likely the heavy infantry legionaries, are all facing outwards in a rectangular shape, while the shields which are placed above are from flat shields, meaning most likely other troops such as auxiliaries or perhaps dismounted cavalry. I assume that this is simply the case when traveling in a baggage train, and that on the field whenever the formation would be used it would be used in a century of regular heavy infantry legionaries with the cylindrical shields, in which case there would be exposed areas on the tops of the shields where the vertical shields met the horizontal ones, through which arrows could pass through.

My question is that if soldiers were all facing outwards, there is no way that it was a mobile formation, and as far as Dio's description goes, it's not meant to be, since the formation will remain immobile while the enemy unleashes their arrows and then go back into formation when the enemy approaches for the melee. The only time a testudo formation would be mobile would be in the case of a siege, where the soldiers would advance under their raised shields to reach the enemy wall or to go up a ramp. However, if it's mobile, that necessitates that the right side of a testudo be exposed, since that would be the sword arm side of the troops on the extreme right. However, this wouldn't really matter since they would be getting attacked from above and not from the sides.

So basically, a testudo with all sides covered can only be formed if the unit remains static and immobile.

testu -tu -tudio...or was it su-su-sudio

Quote Originally Posted by Stavroforos View Post
    Dio's description of the testudo has me a bit confuse. All the men with cylindrical shields, so most likely the heavy infantry legionaries, are all facing outwards in a rectangular shape, while the shields which are placed above are from flat shields, meaning most likely other troops such as auxiliaries or perhaps dismounted cavalry. I assume that this is simply the case when traveling in a baggage train, and that on the field whenever the formation would be used it would be used in a century of regular heavy infantry legionaries with the cylindrical shields, in which case there would be exposed areas on the tops of the shields where the vertical shields met the horizontal ones, through which arrows could pass through.

My question is that if soldiers were all facing outwards, there is no way that it was a mobile formation, and as far as Dio's description goes, it's not meant to be, since the formation will remain immobile while the enemy unleashes their arrows and then go back into formation when the enemy approaches for the melee. The only time a testudo formation would be mobile would be in the case of a siege, where the soldiers would advance under their raised shields to reach the enemy wall or to go up a ramp. However, if it's mobile, that necessitates that the right side of a testudo be exposed, since that would be the sword arm side of the troops on the extreme right. However, this wouldn't really matter since they would be getting attacked from above and not from the sides.

So basically, a testudo with all sides covered can only be formed if the unit remains static and immobile.
    no there are other attestation of it used during sieges and approaching cities , its a roman military tyical and well known formation , you can see lot of reenactors performing it and walk around .

Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Fallout 3 Modder

Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS ts View Post
    no there are other attestation of it used during sieges and approaching cities , its a roman military tyical and well known formation , you can see lot of reenactors performing it and walk around .
    Yeah, I can also see a lot of reenactors who weigh 200kg, so not the best source.

But in any case, can you link me to a mobile testudo formation where all sides are covered, and then show me the Roman source that backs that up?