Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just Got Crusader Kings 2. What DLC Should I Get?

Default Just Got Crusader Kings 2. What DLC Should I Get?

Hey everyone. I just got Crusader Kings 2 for free thanks to a deal GamersGate was running for EU4 preorders, and I was wondering what DLC is worth getting for the game. I'm not big on aesthetic packs for a buck or whatever (unless I can get them essentially for free with coins/Steam credit), so which DLC packs actually add content to the game, or in essence are closer to expansions than DLC?

Ciciro's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Just Got Crusader Kings 2. What DLC Should I Get?

Sword of Islam, Legacy of Rome, The Republic, and The Old Gods.

The republic makes city states like venice playable, with a massive emphasis on economic competition, yet those usually have a small impact on the rest of the world.
    The old gods pushes the starting date back and makes pagan dynasties available
    Quote Originally Posted by wyrda78 View Post
    Well maybe if there was a thread instructing people on how to mod there would be more modders.

Diamat's Avatar VELUTI SI DEUS DARETUR

Unless you're gonna play as a republic, the Republic DLC isn't necessary. And if you're not gonna play as a Pagan state, you don't need the Old Gods right away, since it's rather expensive right now. So just get Sword of Islam and Legacy of Rome for now. Wait for all the other DLC to go on sale and then buy it all. The first couple of games, you're gonna have to learn anyway, so all these extra features aren't necessary.

I just completed the tutorial and I still have little comprehension of this game's scope.

Diamat's Avatar VELUTI SI DEUS DARETUR

You will just have to play it...and learn from the countless mistakes you will surely make. I'd start as a small realm, so you don't have to deal with a bunch of vassals right away. If starting as a count, first thing I do is revoke all titles in my realm, so that I max out my demesne size and get all the cash from those places. Once I have enough cash and orchestrated a claim on a neighboring county, I declare war, hire a stack of mercenaries, and blitz that county.

Get Legacy of Rome, for the ability to get retinues.

Paradox's tutorials are never good, best way to learn their games is generally by trial and error. Start as a count in Ireland and get a grasps of things that way; it's the game's very own 'Tutorial Island' so to speak.
    Last edited by Kamikaze470; August 01, 2013 at 02:44 PM.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Get all of it except for the face-packs. They're absolutely awful.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Confederate Jeb View Post
    which DLC packs actually add content to the game
    i would say "Sword of Islam" is a must, as it makes half the map playable with some flavour. the prestiege penalty for having less than 3 wives, decadence penalty for unlanded dynasty members and executing kinsmen without "kinslayer" trait penalty.
    besides that there are only a minor text edit to make both muslims and pagans playable in vanilla style.

"Legacy of Rome" is only interesting if you plan to play Byzantines. it adds some Casus Beli and option to blind and castrate prisoners, otherwise it is totaly redundant.

"The Republic" make Venice, Genoa, Pisa, Gotland and a couple other merchant states interesting to play. one can actually start as an unlanded patrician and still have some fun scheming against the other 4 families of ones republic.
    but one can not start new republics, it is locked to the ones decided by Paradox that we would like to play. and you can not play other smaller merchant states.

"The Old Gods" adds new Casus Beli for pagans and ability to raid other lands without declearing full scale war.
    pagans can subjugate other rulers within the same de jure kingdom, without any de jure or fabricated claim on their lands. the ambition to become king acts as an endless CB.
    the raiding ability quickly adds money and prestiege, though a bit overpowered when you can raise a 10K raidingparty.
    for some reasson Paradox set most of the world at gavelkind succession in 867, which is a total drag. pagans can not choose other succession laws until their religion has been reformed, which require controll of 4(or was it 3?) sacred sites. upon which you become the pagan Caliph of some sort.
    in general i find the pagans overpowered, at least when led by a human.
    starting as Kiev, within 3 generations i had formed empire of Russia, taken Germany, Denmark, Sweden, all of Balticum and half of both Norway and Finland. i had reformed Norse paganism and burned both Constantinople and Rome numerous times. there is nothing left to do and it not even 1066 yet.
    i guess i would have found "The Old Gods" more interesting if i had not had the game for over a year already.

"Sunset Invasion" just adds some Aztecs that come invading Europa. bah...!

Quote Originally Posted by Confederate Jeb View Post
    or in essence are closer to expansions than DLC?
    none!

the music and face-packs are a total waste.
    Hr. Alf han hugg til han var mod, Han sto i femten Ridderes Blod; Så tog han alle de Kogger ni Og sejlede dermed til Norge fri. Og der kom tidende til Rostock ind, Der blegned saa mangen Rosenkind. Der græd Enker og der græd Børn, Dem hadde gjort fattig den skadelige Ørn.
    Anders Sørensen Vedel

Knight_of_Ni's Avatar Centenarius
    Wouldn't YOU like to know? No, really, I'm lonely.

The face packs are just fluff. Nice looking fluff granted, but still fluff. The music on the other hand is rather nice though. Especially LoR and TOG's soundtracks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cougar109 View Post
    ...Though I'm still trying to figure out how a show that dives down into the subjects of genocide and racism ... landed next to Spongebob.

Protector Domesticus

I would get all four of the main DLCs just for shear scope and variation, the rest are just cosmetic but i do feel they add to the atmosphere
    If you were to be picky i think Legacy of Rome and Old gods are the top two, retinues add a lot of strength to your forces and Old gods extends the game period into the Dark ages and greatly increases the variation of religions and scope.

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

absintia left out retinues, something legacy of rome adds.

Basically they're standing armies which are a little ridiculous, or can be, anyway. They're very helpful in dealing with rebels since you don't always have to be raising levies to chase them around, or when you're making opening moves when you've just been attacked and your levies aren't consolidated yet.

Quote Originally Posted by John I Tzimisces View Post
    absintia left out retinues, something legacy of rome adds.
    the retinues came with the DLC and not the patch?!

well, if so i am glad i got LOR as those retinues are realy handy. they even allow you to surprise attack, as war can be declared while they are on the border or at sea and then quickly jump the unprepared enemy armies. they more or less remove the need for mercenaries and cost no upkeep when at full strenght.
    Hr. Alf han hugg til han var mod, Han sto i femten Ridderes Blod; Så tog han alle de Kogger ni Og sejlede dermed til Norge fri. Og der kom tidende til Rostock ind, Der blegned saa mangen Rosenkind. Der græd Enker og der græd Børn, Dem hadde gjort fattig den skadelige Ørn.
    Anders Sørensen Vedel

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

I'm fairly certain I remember patching and having the retinue tab greyed out, before I got LoR.

and yeah super handy, but it can easy to suddenly go into crazy deficit after a battle where they take a ton of casualties, lol.

I'm an addict so I got every single bit of DLC on sale a while ago... but the absolutely necessary ones imo are The Old Gods, LOR and Sword of Islam. Maybe Rajas of India too?

ccllnply's Avatar Tribunus

I would only call The Old Gods necessary. The rest are only useful if you play as the specific culture they address. For instance, I have all the DLCs but I've yet to start as a Muslim or Byzantine character and I can honestly say I haven't even noticed the difference. I'd say Sons of Abraham is near-necessary as well but the broken holy order system just ed up my current game for a few decades and I'm still pissed off.

RoI is the same. Unless you are planning on playing as a Raja in India then don't bother. Wait for a few weeks/months till it's on sale, you'll still get the map expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by ccllnply View Post
    I would only call The Old Gods necessary. The rest are only useful if you play as the specific culture they address. For instance, I have all the DLCs but I've yet to start as a Muslim or Byzantine character and I can honestly say I haven't even noticed the difference. I'd say Sons of Abraham is near-necessary as well but the broken holy order system just ed up my current game for a few decades and I'm still pissed off.

RoI is the same. Unless you are planning on playing as a Raja in India then don't bother. Wait for a few weeks/months till it's on sale, you'll still get the map expansion.
    I should probably have phrased it better. I meant necessary for the full experience of the game, eg. if you want to play as different characters if you get me. Yeah you do get a lot of free features with the patch.

ccllnply's Avatar Tribunus

I'd definitely agree with that. Although I think The Old Gods adds the most out of any of them. LoR seems to be mainly new events and decisions. The factions system is nice but you get that with the patch for free anyway. I've yet to play as a Muslim yet, even though I've had the DLC for 4 months but it mainly just seems to make the Muslims playable and very little else.

The Old Gods basically adds a whole new game in my opinion. The difference between the game with and without it is actually massive.

Yep, Old Gods is without a doubt the most content - heavy expansion. I love the feeling of forgetting about the free patch and being surprised by new features as well.

Arbitrary Crusader's Avatar Praefectus

Sunset Invasion, Sunset Invasion, Sunset Invasion, and Sunset Invasion.

♪ Now it's over, I'm dead and I haven't done anything that I want, or I'm still alive and there's nothing I want to do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast