Thread: Army is auto disbanding (or units are missing after battle)

Default Army is auto disbanding (or units are missing after battle)

Ok, before anyone auto reply's, the units I'm talking about are NOT garrison troops, they are regular recruited Militia, Line Infantry, Light Dragoons and in one case, 6lb artillery units.
    I just finished a long campaign as France and did not see this issue come up once
    My new campaign as the British (this has happened to all 3 starts i have tried this week) has an issue where when defending a town (specifically 3 times Gibraltar in this case) my army seems to auto disband after i WIN, in all cases, heroic or decisive. I know and understand when defending a town you auto receive militia,town garrison and with Darthmod, even line infantry (Connaught rangers and British Dutch line Infantry in the case of Gibraltar) I understand that yes, you pay upkeep until the siege is won or lost, and those units will also auto disband after.
    my problem is I WIN, and then click the check box after and suddenly my garrison of what was 1 general, 1 cavalry, 4-5 line and 5-6 militia is reduced to a general and a half strength cavalry unit. Where did the rest go? Most of my line units were at 65-75% strength and did not break at all, same with a majority of my militia, This leads to my city being besieged a turn later with no defenders.
    This is even more infuriating when i was either defending Brussels or Rheims (cant remember) with a full stack (20 unit) British army, same story but on a larger scale, after the battle, heroic victory (im playing on normal) my previous army of 4 arty, 3 cav, rest mix of line/grenadiers and light is reduced to 4-5 units. 2 of which are generals (moore and wellington) Why are these army's disbanding after I WIN a battle? am I better off breaking the siege and auto attacking, defeats the purpose of defending IMHO, even more so contrary to the "wellington doctrine' of picking the ground, laying defenses, and letting the crapauds come to me.
    Is this a bug, or is there a reasonable explanation for this? The attrition of being under siege for one turn should not lead to this either, i just don't get it, it makes Gibraltar essentially impossible to ever hold, so i may start over and burn the dam place down around me.
    Thank you in advance though, I wont even play a TW series game without a Darthmod applied to it, sad he states he wont work on Rome 2, but I wish him luck (and intend to buy) his Gettysburg game.

Lord of Lost Socks's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Army is auto disbanding (or units are missing after battle)

I have the same problem. I'm damn close to losing a campaign and it doesn't help that 20 line infantry randomly just vanished.

“The human eye is a wonderful device. With a little effort, it can fail to see even the most glaring injustice.”

After vanishing units, do you have other units in the stack which have too much manpower or random variables, say suddenly lost more than it did in the battle, or claims max. number of manpower for the unit is odd? Chiefly asking since I had similar issue in Empire : Total War - granted, this was very rare sight - sometimes when I continued large battle to run down some enemies instead of pressing end battle; either some would vanish or E.G. my dragoon unit ended up doubling max. manpower for no apparent reason, or suddenly got “cut” down from 90% manpower to less than 20 guys. Doesn't hurt to try if ending the battle instead of continuing helps, if nothing else.

I didn't notice any other suspicious troop losses, but i didn't really look. The only thing that happened was that all of my line infantry vanished post battle.

“The human eye is a wonderful device. With a little effort, it can fail to see even the most glaring injustice.”

I didn't notice any other suspicious troop losses, but i didn't really look. The only thing that happened was that all of my line infantry vanished post battle.