Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Macedonian Blitz

Default Macedonian Blitz

If you have been playing a saved game from RTRPE for some time please press the tilde key and enter toggle fow and tell me if Macedon Blizt. If it did or didn't please list the mod you used, the difficulty, and the date of the campaign. Thank you.
    Whoever gives nothing, has nothing. The greatest misfortune is not to be unloved, but not to love.
    -Albert Camus

Default Re: Macedonian Blitz

What for?

I just want to see how many people have that happen. It seems Macedon isn't balanced.
    Whoever gives nothing, has nothing. The greatest misfortune is not to be unloved, but not to love.
    -Albert Camus

walrus. I fixed this problem. Look here. Boris' Flumen, Mare, Terra, et Provincia Minimod
    He that will not reason is a bigot, He that cannot reason is a fool, He that dares not reason is a slave.

Ave. I saw that. Maybe I'll put it into AE with your permission of course.
    -Albert Camus

Publius Clodius Pulcher's Avatar Senator

Macedon blitzes and wins 95% of the time in RTR, Gold and Plat.

If it's annoying but you don't want to mod it away then just give money to Greece/Illyria/Thrace. It works very well in checking the Macedonians

Siddyus's Avatar Biarchus

Well, atleast Macedons will hamper Roman's advance to conquer the whole of Europe. Adds extra challenge to the game. Greeks are weak... their hoplites can still be pierced through IMO. Its strange that Thrace are no match too... their units are pretty much unbalanced too IMO.

once in a while greece defeatd macedon, and then greece takes over alot of lands
    Proudly under the patronage of Tone
    Roma Surrectum Local Moderator

In my game RTRPE Macedon have been destroyed before my armies even reached them, the Greeks and Illyrians destroyed them. The Illyrians have been doing a little too well, they usually get swamped by the greeks and Macedons, in my current game they were taking over Macedon cities, pushing back the Gauls and starting to turn their armies south towards Italy... thats when I had too recall some troops from Numidea/Carthage in order to push them back. I think the turn out is dependant on what alliances the enemy make near the start. obviously Macedon made some bad choices in my game. (Hard mode.)

Usually Macedon blitzes, but in my latest campaign as the Romans the Greeks are kicking their butts and I had to give Macedon money to keep them in the game.

One of the campaigns I played Macedon took out Greece, Thrace, and Illyria all by themselves (well I helped with the Greeks in Italy, since I was plying as romans). Then had a tough time fighting them, though I ultimately won.

I've never seen the Macedonains do less that well in RTR & RTRPE. Without player intervention they are always (100% of the time) the most successful. The two times I've let it get that far they made Rome their Protectorate and went storming into Germany and Gaul. Their immediate taking of Athens seems to be the key to them getting established quickly. If the Greeks get a swift peace with the Ptolemies they hand around for a bit longer.

On a similar note, the Selucids seem to do a lot better in RTRPE than they did in RTR6. It used to be that the war the Ptolemies in Palestine/Syria was a stalemate, but no longer. they can manage to hold off the Parthians and Bactrians, kill Pontus and still have the resource to stuff the Ptolemies. When I've fought them directly, as Bactria, Parthia, Ptolemies and last night Pontus, I've found them a much tougher proposition.

Turkeys!'s Avatar Praepositus

in my game illyria is about ready to push into gaul, is expanding into greece, and macedon is barely able to field 1 army
    Like Neverwinter Nights? Wondering where to go now that the old NWN Vault is gone? Come visit the new one at http://neverwintervault.org/!

Ave The Walrus!

I'm playing PE with Marcus Camillus' 4tpy mod and King Azzole's animations. The Tracians have expanded northward and are keeping both Greece and Macedon at bay very easily.

I'm playing as the Romans, medium campaign, hard battles. It's roughly 260BC ( you can see my empire in your other thread)

It used to be the Egyptians that would blitz and conquer vast swaths of land. Now the new Egyptians are the Macedonians. I would not mind it so much if they went east into asia minor to battle the seleucids but they always head north into open barbarian territory.
    -Voice of the Celtic warriors in EB 1 and writer of the original tutorial on sound and music editing for RTW.

Macedon usually wins in Greece, just as they should really because they were winning the war slowly until Rome stepped in. However it's not because the Greeks are a week faction units wise but simply because they're engaged in too many theatres at once to ever really have a chance at holding it's own in most of them. Often though Greece does end up in the strangest places when left to it's own devices, having lost the greek mainland, then taken Sicily, losing it and taking the lower half of Asia minor... all in one game.

Could the blitz be because on VH/H the AI get stupid amounts of money but doesnt act smarter? Does this happen when the camapaign is set to M?

MCM's Avatar Saint of lost causes

It will still come one, but not as successfully as on VH mode. Its a well known fact that the AI gets ridiculous amounts of money to play with, and this just boosts already aggressive factions to further heights. I sugest playing on either the M or H settings.

Enjoy,

MCM

Quote Originally Posted by mcantu
    Could the blitz be because on VH/H the AI get stupid amounts of money but doesnt act smarter? Does this happen when the camapaign is set to M?
    I'm not exactly sure but I do know on Very hard campaign mode the ai gets 10,000 bonus cash. I normally play on hard/hard but it is on AE so I don't have any money to give to the Greeks.(I haven't reached 25,000 yet because I keep buying)But since most of the buildings take more then one turn I buy
    everything in one turn and for the other turns get cash.
    -Albert Camus

There are a number of problems with Macedon, but I've dedicated the last 3 weeks of gameplay to trying to slow them down. I've discovered a few issues of interest to others frustrated by their expansion.

1. Macedonian cities are comparatively well advanced. A quick look at your desc_strat file will show that while Athens doesn't even have a trader, nearly every Macedonian city has a market, blacksmith, odeon, etc... The result is an absurdly high income early in the game when Macedon's neighbors are struggling with economic instability.

Solution: Downgrade income producing facilities in Macedonian cities in Desc_Strat.

2. Pyrrhus' Army is too expensive for the Greek's income. Additionally, Total War AI is bad at threat assessment and gets hung up on trying to win-back lost territories. The best Greek troops and generals will be shipped to Italy to fight Rome.

Solution: Pyrrhus' army should be disbanded. Using Desc_Strat, move Pyrrhus to Syracuse and rename him Hiero. Change Tarentum and Croton into Rebel settelments with large hoplite garrisons to check Roman expansion.

3. With so many strong cities in the Aegean, the Macedonians can create one stack each turn. Eventually they win the war of attrition.

Solution: Double unit creation times for every unit (2 for hastati, 4 for Spartan hoplites, etc). Expansion will be slower. Increase every unit's upkeep by 250% (it might seem, high but it produces the best results). If you don't, every faction will be extremely wealthy since income has remained constant but expenditures have been cut in half.

Also, you need to vastly reduce the beginning armies. Most cities should have only one unit as a garrison. A Macedonian field army might have 2 phalangites, a peltast, and general. If you don't reduce the starting military size of every faction, upkeep will be too high for beginning economies.

This also has the added bonus of making rebellions more of an issue. AI seleucids are now extremely fun to watch because there biggest enemy is internal revolt. Ptolemies are extremely disadvantaged too.

These changes might seem extreme, but the result is a macedon that behaves like every other faction. I've played well into 100's now where the Greeks are still holding onto the Peloponnesian Peninsula and the Macedonians have not made serious headway into Thrace. Every faction focuses more on economy and political stability, and less on expansion.

Later today I'll post the files I've edited so others can try and see what they think. If anyone has other solutions, please post them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast