Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: War Council at Galata, April 10, 1204

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

Default Re: War Council at Galata, April 10, 1204

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf. View Post
    Tancred glanced at the Saxon who had just come forward, and addressed him with some interest. He greeted him with a small smile, addressing him in English.

I too served the lionheart, friend. But are you sure of this? Are you sure you can convince the Norse axemen?
    Athelstan smiled, "If you have, my lord, served Good King Dick then you would have met the English axemen before, Norsemen are they few and far between, and have been so since Senlac Hill." He spat at the placename. "Come in bowshot of the walls and you will be surely felled by an English arrow," he grinned with a nod of the head to the Norman. "Whether I go or no, these men will kill the most of you." He stifled a chuckle, having seen decades of death and butchery -stupidity was a more common slaughter than pride. "These men represent more than a third of the defence in numbers but are surely unreckonable in strength and vigour. And yes..." He turned to Bohemund and the high princes who seemed to be dazzled and dazed by a world of titles and chivalric ideals but lacked the true steel of life, death and the honour that lies between. "It is easy to assume these lads will jump on your swords for the live of a dainty lord only half-crowned yesterday" Athelstan's voice was full of phlegm and irritation, half from illness half from pride "but your -definition-" he accented the very Frenchness of the word "of honour worth dying for and a pride worth fighting to live for ..." He grinned again "are perhaps more in the sphere of English knowledge than in that of the Latin...'conquerors'." Athelstan turned to the far off mighty walls "Mark my words, no Englishman nor Dane will be in as hurry to cut my neck from shoulders as yours-" he glared back at the Normans "when they hear the voice of home." He stared don at the dust and with both hands still leaning on his quarter staff he banged it into the dust and said "home" with a soft violence of heart and hardiness that would make most men shiver.
    Last edited by Hengest; July 31, 2013 at 07:30 PM.

Tancred chuckled, instantly knowing the bitterness of the man and it's source. This one is a Saxon, through and through. You'd think 140 years of living together would wipe away any enmity. He then shrugged, and getsured.

All these years and you Saxons are still bitter about Hastings... I've seen enough arrows and battles to last a lifetime, and I should hope to live a while yet. Do you miss England? Or are you carving out your own England here?

Tancred asked, genuinely curious about the nature of this Athelstan.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf. View Post
    Tancred chuckled, instantly knowing the bitterness of the man and it's source. This one is a Saxon, through and through. You'd think 140 years of living together would wipe away any enmity. He then shrugged, and getsured.

All these years and you Saxons are still bitter about Hastings... I've seen enough arrows and battles to last a lifetime, and I should hope to live a while yet. Do you miss England? Or are you carving out your own England here?

Tancred asked, genuinely curious about the nature of this Athelstan.
    Athelstan was taken aback by the nobleman's words. "Aye, but you belie your own judgement when you call me a Saxon and not a fellow Englishman if we are all alike after these 140 year. And it's funny how you call us Saxons and not Angles since that reminds men too much that it is we who have given our name to the good country and its tongue." Athelstan spat, the dysentery still filling his mouth with acid and the vile taste of old vomit. He considered the man's words carefully, aware of the ears around him, who although not English speakers could no doubt make out enough of their speech to follow the conversation. "I once had land and title in England just like you but it was taken from me, by Normans, it behoves me to remember that for they themselves made it clear they were not my fellow Englishmen but my betters and my masters, even though my House had shepherded the people as far back as Hengest's day." He looked up at the mighty walls and spires of the ancient city. "Such is the cross I bear for my past, I know not for my future. 'Tis in god's hands. As for carving out England, I'd prefer not to carve it in the guts of a fellow Englishman. But wherever we stand, wherever we fall; there will always been some corner of a foreign field that remains forever England." He crossed himself out of habit, and now returned to French. "I intend to take my men with the marines aboard the ships. I've been in port here at Constantinople many a year before and there the timeless walls are weak, so much so that the bricks are loose after many a battle with Arab, Avar and Rus in the last few centuries. I will take a few score men through the gaps in the brickwork and then head for the Severus and Theodosian walls. We will take the gates and hold them with our bow shots." He looked around expecting a response from the commanders. When none came he returned to English and asked his fellow countryman: "And you? Do you bring England with you or are you hoping to return there one day soon? Richer I assume."

Tancred laughed at that, he liked this Athelstan; he had a bit of attitude to him - not like the curs who he usually had the displeasure of knowing.

I left England a long time ago, I have no place there anymore. I bring my slice of England, here, to Greece. I have no other home.

"Hardly a patriot." Athelstan shrugged with a grin, he held out his hand. "Athelstan." He said bluntly. "Where will you march?"

Tancred grasped it firmly.

Tancred Mortimer.

Tancred shrugged, gesturing towards the city.

The Blachernae or the Lycus. I have 1200 Englishmen at my back, so it depends what this Frankish warlord wants to hit hardest.

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Bohemond listened to what Athelstan had to say, but decided to just ignore it for now. He had stated his approach involving the Varangian Guard and, as the overall commander, that order would be obeyed. He looks to Tancred.

Your troops will be at Lycus, joining the assault of over 10,000 other soldiers to strike at the wall's weakest point. I will be personally commanding the assault.
    Last edited by Lucius Malfoy; August 01, 2013 at 02:22 PM.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Athelstan glanced sidewards at the self-made commander and addresses his so-called countryman. "Mortimer...the same kin that holds the March? I'd be happy to meet your men, it's a shame we won't be stood shoulder to shoulder in the assault." Athelstan shook his head, "to be honest if I'm not saving English lives I don't think I want to be part of the killing of them. Perhaps the French can kill their own Englishmen. God knows they've had their turn."

Tancred smiled, and nodded,

The same. My brother is the earl, last time I checked.

He turned to Bohemond, nodding in recognition.

As you command.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Malfoy View Post
    Bohemond listened to what Athelstan had to say, but decided to just ignore it for now. He had stated his approach involving the Varangian Guard and, as the overall commander, that order would be obeyed. He looks to Tancred.

Your troops will be at Lycus, joining the assault of over 10,000 other soldiers to strike at the wall's weakest point. I will be personally commanding the assault.
    "Monsieur" Athelstan reasoned "If, once the city is taken, you can guarantee that the surviving Varangians will be set free and treated without let or hindrance -then I will bring the last of the Lionheart's company under your lion banner." Athelstan shrugged. "I will fight only striving to reach them and parlay, I will not kill my comrades for you, only for French tyranny to repeat itself again. Do I have your word, Monsieur?"

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Hross View Post
    "Monsieur" Athelstan reasoned "If, once the city is taken, you can guarantee that the surviving Varangians will be set free and treated without let or hindrance -then I will bring the last of the Lionheart's company under your lion banner." Athelstan shrugged. "I will fight only striving to reach them and parlay, I will not kill my comrades for you, only for French tyranny to repeat itself again. Do I have your word, Monsieur?"
    Bohemond, finally hearing words of reason from the English's mouth, nodded without hesitation.

Any Varangians that surrender and disarm themselves will be granted freedom after the city is taken. Those who continue the fight in the name of these incompetent Emperors, however, will not be so lucky. So long as they keep their axes in hand and threaten our heads with them, they will be seen as an enemy that must be subdued by force. Am I clear on that, Athelstan?

The de Lusignan then continued in a more serious tone.

This is not some crusade to kill your fellow Englishmen. Nor is this a crusade to take your homeland, nor is this city we are taking your home. I want to make myself clear, Athelstan, this is not about some French tyranny you speak of. I was not born in France like the rest of my Frankish comrades here. Thus I did not experience the wars of Henry II and Richard the Lionheart. And unlike what you may think, I have admiration for the English. The same English who aided my uncle, Guy I of Jerusalem and my father, Geoffroy de Lusignan, the youngest and fourth son of Hugh VIII, during the Third Crusade and at the Siege of Acre.

Bohemond then points to the very ground they stand upon. It was time for him to ask for compensation for the Englishman's wishes.

I ask for something in return for your wish, Athelstan. From this point on, I want you to keep your patronizing ideals and words to yourself and out of earshot. This is not English soil, nor is this the home of English people. Thus, we must forget our pasts and work together in order to bring Latin rule and Papal authority to these lands. So long as you keep your word and promise, no harm shall be brought to any and all of the survivors who surrender willingly. And they shall be granted freedom upon the capture of the city.
    Last edited by Lucius Malfoy; August 01, 2013 at 11:05 PM.

"It is you who patronises and dictates, my lord. After all our troubles, all our horrors, all the conceits we have seen - I will not kill a countryman in another man's name. I've heard enough men say they fight for Christ. The men on those walls do the same. If this battle is to rectify heresy you may well have to kill every last man woman and child in the streets and in their homes and in their churches as they take desperate refuge. I have seen such before. Right Faith and Right Practice will see scores of thousands of Christians butchered in the days to come. I will join the assault only to rush the city and call upon the Guard to lay down their arms and to shield the innocents from rape and torment. Enough lives have been lost or destroyed by sinners for wont of gold, power or vanity. My company of walking dead live a life of purgatory for our past sins. And you talk of forgetting the past? Every man must do penance and the burden of this mission is ours. In the name of God, St.Nicholas and St.Augustine I swear it."

Citizen

Just remember, Athelstan, if they refuse to lay their arms or continue to fight, I will be forced to kill them until they submit or are extinguished. That is the way of war and battle. However, if you manage to have them lay down their arms...I will make sure you and your company are greatly rewarded.

And with that, Bohemond left Tancred and Athelstan with the rest of the commanders from the dias. It was time to prepare for battle.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345