Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: War Council at Galata, April 10, 1204

Default Re: War Council at Galata, April 10, 1204

Roger was a bit irritated, but spoke calmly
    "For a Priest to say that, it comes off a bit.....heretical. These Greeks do worship God, but differently than we do. If there was no difference in our faiths, the Pope would not need to be in constant rivalry with the Patriarch that resides within those walls, and we would not be standing here about to besiege it."

Tancred almost swore aloud in sheer anger.

They do not like Catholics, you halfwit. The whole point that I am making is to quell unrest.

Jokern's Avatar Mowbray of Nottingham

Arvid had stayed quiet while the rest of the crusaders babbled on about the citizens of Constantinople. He didn't care for them, if all went well he would be rewarded with a fief outside the city. Then again, if the Greeks throw the crusaders ou of Constaninople, he would mst likely lose his holdings...

He thought about the way he and his men would breach the city. The rewards would only come if they took the city, and the first one in will be rewarded the most. There were two possible entrances.to the city: the gate by the river and the Blachernae district. He had looked at them many times from the camp and the walls were the weakest at these two spots. The Blachernae district was the better of it, seeing how the walls were the weakest there compared to the rest of the city's defenses. The problem was that almost everyone with a tiny bit of military training knew this and would aim to get the position of leading the assault there. It was good that the others had begun to debate how to deal with the discontent of Constantinople. He could now move in and take that oppurtunity right before their greedy eyes. As his brothers had taught him, oppurtunity waits for no man.

"Enough of your babble about the bloody Greeks! Cities have been conquered by people of foreign faiths before, it will happen again. This discussion we can have later, together with the local leaders of the city. Then we can work something out, together with the populace. Right now, I think our prime objective is to actually conquer the city, do you not agree?"

Adamat's Avatar Invertebrate

"I disagree!" Soranzo shouted. "We should indeed agree to what we do with the people when we take the city, and the answer is obvious! We sack the city, rape their women, maim the men who try to defend themselves. If they try to resist, we chop their heads off! Last time I checked, this army certainly did not hold any saints!"

"Besides, sacking the city will bring us what our original aim was: money. Let's face it, almost every single godforsaken person in this camp is in it for wealth or power. Do you really believe this religious nonsense you use as an excuse to attack cities?"
    #JusticeForCookie #JusticeForCal #JusticeForAkar #JusticeForAthelchan

Ganbarenippon's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Honors Bastion View Post
    When Bohemund finished speaking, Simon de Provence retreated to his thoughts. “So it is decided. Hopefully my decision to support de Lusignan as our commander does come back to bite me. We have three days to ready our forces, three days to pick a section of Constantinople to release upon, but which section. The Theodosian walls with its triple layers will be an opposing obstacle and I would rather avoid taking those walls on directly. There must be a better position, one that can hopefully allow us to get the support of some of the Venetian ships. Think Simon, you have been constantly examining these walls for the last few days. You must have seen something that would allow us take the city with less bloodshed.”

As he continued to think, Simon turned to his cousin Rolland and it donned on him that now would be a good time to teach his cousin a thing or two. He turned said to his cousin “We have three days to prepare our forces to take this city Rolland. Now tell me, cousin, once those three days pass and we begin the assault, which section of this ancient city shall we pit our forces against. Will it be the Land Wall that spans from the North to the South as we approach the city from the West. Will it be the Sea Wall that shields Constantinople from attacks coming from the Golden Horn as we approach from the North? Or will it be somewhere in between?”

And when he said those last words, he came to a realization. The site that he would attack had been staring him the face over the last few days. He would release his men and their pent up energy on the area where the Sea Wall meets the Land Wall, the area known as the Blachernae District. There he would not have to contend with the triple walls that made the Theodosian walls and there he would still be in range to receive some support from the Venetian ships It was perfect. He waited for his cousin to reply, wondering if Rolland would reach the same conclusion.
    Roland thought hard when his cousin asked him the question. He did not want to seem slow, but he thought it better not to seem unskilled in front of Simon. "Perhaps by sea, cousin. The walls have held back invaders for millenia. We have the ships, why not use them?" He replied, uncharacteristically serious.

Father Jacopo Orsini speaks quietly into Phillip's ear. "They put the cart before the horse, and tempers fray already. Those records of yours will be most useful in future. Whichever parties emerge dominant from this struggle will likely pay you well for them. Keep them safe." He looks to Bohemund. "He needs to take control of this if he is to be taken seriously as a leader." He says for Phillip alone to hear. Jacopo then steps forward and addresses the council as a whole for the first time.

"Worry not about the Greeks, they are a pragmatic people, in their former lands now controlled by Turks, many converted to Islam once they realised the Emperor had abandoned them. The cost of doing business." He shrugged. "The solution is a simple one. Once we take the city we install a Patriarch of our own in the Hagia Sophia. We make it clear that those who convert to Catholicism will pay no tax to worship, those who wish to remain Orthodox will pay the tax. Furthermore, we make it clear they follow the Patriarch as they have always done. Make no mention of the Pope whatsoever. Of course, all who are Catholic bow to St. Peter, but we do not need to be so blatant as to inform them of that. A polite fiction. The Greeks are happy, our coffers are full and a Catholic presides over the faithful of the Empire. The Emperor would gain a powerful friend, and a counterweight to the Throne of St. Peter." He smiled broadly at this, as if at some kind of private joke.
    Last edited by Ganbarenippon; July 29, 2013 at 07:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganbarenippon View Post
    Roland thought hard when his cousin asked him the question. He did not want to seem slow, but he thought it better not to seem unskilled in front of Simon. "Perhaps by sea, cousin. The walls have held back invaders for millenia. We have the ships, why not use them?" He replied, uncharacteristically serious.

“I was thinking pretty much the same thing cousin. I have been examining the walls of this city for the past few days and I have concluded that are best avenue of attack would be where the Land Wall and Sea Wall of the city meet, the area known as the Blachernae district of Constantinople. From what I can tell, there we would only be facing one single wall, not the triple walls of Theodosius, and there appears to be no moat there to impede our assault. There we should be in close enough proximity to receive some support from the Venetians and their ships but close enough to our other forces to provide them some support as well. The only problem that I see is that the Blacharnae District happens to be the home of the Imperial Palace and the Byzantines may place their best troops there to prevent our assault.”
    replied Simon to his cousin.

Roland smiled in pleasure at getting the question "right". "If the Greeks put their best there then it'll be a fierce fight indeed. The stuff of stories and songs! Besides no prize so glorious should be taken so easily!" He boasted, seemingly back to his usual self.

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Bohemond steps forth, heightening his voice so that he may be heard. He needed order among his host, not factional and opinionated babbled.

We will worry about the Greeks and religion at another time, my fellow Crusaders! That is a decision left up to the clergy and whatever the leadership will be composed of when this city is taken!

He gestures to his fellow Crusaders and brings up the question again.

I will ask once more! Do any of you agree upon an attack on the Blachernae district?
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Roland looks to his cousin. It seemed they agreed with the idea but his cousin was the leader of the family. It was his place, not Roland's, to confirm or not House de Provence's will in this matter.

'So he has the ability to take command of the room. Let us see how the sheep respond.' Father Jacopo thought, holding to his silence once more.

​I do, indeed.

“I throw my support at focusing our attack on the Blachernae District as well.” said Simon de Provence.

Jokern's Avatar Mowbray of Nottingham

Arvid smiled. Bohemund was a strong leader, following him would lead to good fortunes. He could always restart his journey if it failed, maybe go as far east as one could go, seek riches along the Silk Road. Arvid and his German knights drew their swords and held them high over their heads.

You have our swords, the Blachernae district will fall.

The Stig's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Simon joined in the loud, numerous declarations of approval that began to echo across the rest of the host. Inwardly however, he greeted Bohemund's words with some concern. Taking a city, especially one as large as Constantinople, without knowledge of how to hold it was foolhardy at best. Was the Frenchman shortsighted? Or did his ultimate destination lie beyond the walls of Theodotus? In any case, the man's goals would reveal themselves in time. Now, it was time to gird oneself and break down the walls of Constantinople.

"To Blachernae! Deus Vult!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Ancient Aliens
    Yes. The Stig is Jesus.
    People's Republic of Cascadia

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Bohemond listened to the voices of several who wanted to assault the Blachernae once more. He ponders slightly, wondering how they could truly assault the walls at two points. He looks to those members of the crowd and dias.

I will consider the assault upon Blachernae. But I will need a record of our troop numbers, as well as the names of those who wish to assault the district. This will help determine my strategy of the upcoming battle.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Ricco da Monte arrives at Galata, with a modest following very unlike the massive armies of men there already. He knew when he was journeying he would need to request to fall in line with someone, but he knew not who. Now he found himself at the head of men that have grown to trust him. Would he request to join a more influential man, or maintain himself and his men seperate, a smaller commander among men of certain history? After some time he found himself to the outside of what some described as a meeting of fate, where the influential men met to decide the details of the Crusade. Ricco stood outside, considering what to do.

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Ganbarenippon View Post
    Father Jacopo Orsini speaks quietly into Phillip's ear. "They put the cart before the horse, and tempers fray already. Those records of yours will be most useful in future. Whichever parties emerge dominant from this struggle will likely pay you well for them. Keep them safe." He looks to Bohemund. "He needs to take control of this if he is to be taken seriously as a leader." He says for Phillip alone to hear. Jacopo then steps forward and addresses the council as a whole for the first time..
    Alencon simply nods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Malfoy View Post
    Bohemond listened to the voices of several who wanted to assault the Blachernae once more. He ponders slightly, wondering how they could truly assault the walls at two points. He looks to those members of the crowd and dias.

I will consider the assault upon Blachernae. But I will need a record of our troop numbers, as well as the names of those who wish to assault the district. This will help determine my strategy of the upcoming battle.
    Philip spoke up, his crisp and clear words floating across the room.
    "Twelve-thousand foot and four-thousand horse."

Roger shook his head. There was no plan once they entered the city. Thousands of civilians would be murdered, raped, and pillaged without a second thought, and it was condoned by the leadership by not having a plan. He had control of a little over a thousand men, but maybe those could help him in the beginning stages of the city.
    "My Lord, I have 1,200 men. 800 Knights, 300 Sergeants, and 100 Men-at-Arms. I would volunteer them, as well as myself, as a vanguard force of sorts to enter the city as soon as possible and clear strict paths to the Palace, as well as any barracks and any armories we would find along those path. This way to limit possible excursion into the city that would damage our future capital, and would also give us the opportunity to pour the remaining forces into the city. Though I will do what you order regardless."
    Roger bowed his head slightly

“I would like for the 3,000 men that are under my command to be considered as part of the attack on the Blachernae District as well. I have under me 1,000 Frankish Knights, 1,000 Frankish Men-at-Arms, 800 Sergeant Spearmen, and 200 Frankish Corssbowmen.” said Simon de Provence. “However, as our commander Bohemund, if you see it necessary to have my men positioned in a different place during the assault then I will follow your orders and lead my men in an assault on a different district if need be. I say this because I know that many others would prefer to join the assault on the Blachernae District and this could cause us to have too many men positioned in one place with two few in another.”

While he loathed the idea of attacking another section of the city besides the Blachernae District, Simon understood that by taking the sacrifice, he could potentially position himself in a much better political position when the siege was over. There was a risk to this he knew, but if it resulted in him being in a better standing amongst the Crusader Lords, it was well worth it.

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

Philip smiled wryly, and glanced at Father Orsini next to him.
    "They all want the easy way in, and that pretty palace on the hill." He mused quietly.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast