Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camel Mounted Troops

Default Camel Mounted Troops

I playing a campaign as Greece and just got to where I can recuit camel mounted cavalry. Camels are supposed to be faster and have better endurance than horses (its even mentioned in the unit cards) but that doesnt seem to be what is represented. Light camel cavalry is about the same speed as heavy horse cavalry and also seem to tire more quickly than heavy horse cavalry. The units i've seen this with are the Beduin Cavalry and Beduin Archers.

Has anyone ever taken a look at the correctness of the stats for these usits?

Default Re: Camel Mounted Troops

Horses are faster runners than camels. However camels should have more endurance in the desert and also will receive a bonus vs cavalry anywhere.
    -Voice of the Celtic warriors in EB 1 and writer of the original tutorial on sound and music editing for RTW.

Ehh I just use cavalry. Camels to slow and aren't useful enough unless you will be in the desert against a bunch of enemy cavalry. Also they aren't as armoured cavalry so the combat modifier doesn't always help. They are useful in numbers.
    Whoever gives nothing, has nothing. The greatest misfortune is not to be unloved, but not to love.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by The Walrus
    Ehh I just use cavalry. Camels to slow and aren't useful enough unless you will be in the desert against a bunch of enemy cavalry. Also they aren't as armoured cavalry so the combat modifier doesn't always help. They are useful in numbers.

You my friend, have never witnessed the charge of kataphractoi Camels.
    -Voice of the Celtic warriors in EB 1 and writer of the original tutorial on sound and music editing for RTW.

Most camels can outrun most horses, but I would say its even enough to keep their speeds the same. Though on sand a camel wins hands down.

Also camels have a higher endurance than horses and can carry heavier loads, horses are more reactive, sure-footed and can come to a sliding stop.

So maybe the speed of camels should be made the same as that of light horse cavalry with greater endurance?

Oh yes, definitely greater endurance... a camel can travel for days without food and water and a horse can not, they can also carry more.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfen
    Oh yes, definitely greater endurance... a camel can travel for days
    yes they can travel, but can they actually run for as long as horse does?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarkiss
    yes they can travel, but can they actually run for as long as horse does?

From what I've read, they are able to trot at a fast pace for many hours (>5 hours) without stopping

I think you are clearly wrong on the speed issue. On normal ground (ie: dirt) a horse would be able to outrun a camel. I am not sure on sand but horses are made for speed.

"A horse has a maximum stride length of about seven meters, a stride rate of about 2.25 strides/second and a top speed of about 70 km/hr."

"Camels... Its long limbs and flat soles enable it to run ... at a speed of 30 km/h (19 mi/h) for 60 km (38 mi) nonstop."

The average speed a camel can go is 60 kilometers per hour, a fast racehorse can travel 65.

Without burden a camel can outrun the average horse, they also have more endurance meaning they can travel further without rest.

Edit - By the way 70km/h is the fastest horse a purebreed racehorse which would not be used in war, 60km/h for the average camel.
    Last edited by Aedelric; September 06, 2006 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by King_Azzole
    You my friend, have never witnessed the charge of kataphractoi Camels.
    Well actually I have never played an eastern faction in RTR. Heheh talking about vanilla
    Whoever gives nothing, has nothing. The greatest misfortune is not to be unloved, but not to love.
    -Albert Camus

The average speed a camel can go is 60 kilometers per hour, a fast racehorse can travel 65.

Without burden a camel can outrun the average horse, they also have more endurance meaning they can travel further without rest.

Edit - By the way 70km/h is the fastest horse a purebreed racehorse which would not be used in war, 60km/h for the average camel.
    I simply do not believe that.

From Wikipidia (your best friend):

"Speed or swiftness of motion plays a significant role in human culture and also animal culture (see racing). It is complementary to grace, precision and strength, e.g. in dancing or martial arts. Animals symbolizing speed are the horse (PIE *ek'vos is etymologically derived from *ok'u- "swift"), birds, especially raptors such as the hawk, and cats, e.g. the lynx (see e.g. Flos Duellatorum). The swiftest land animal is the cheetah, reaching running speeds of up to 110km/h (68 mph) for short distances. For sustained speed, the fastest land animal is the thoroughbred horse."

Also from wikipidia under the heading "Camel Racing:"

" Camels can run at speeds up to 40 mph/64 km/h in short sprints and they can maintain a speed of 25 mph/40 km/h for an hour."

Given that most horse cultures bred horses for speed (I am not sure if the same is true for camels) I will have to stick with the horse as faster.
    Last edited by King_Azzole; September 06, 2006 at 04:37 PM.

Racehorses have been around since at least roman times, but they did not field an army of racehorses in battle. Yes horses can be faster than camels, but only those bread for the purpose of racing, war horses were more hardy and strong than speedy. The average horse and average camel are fairly even, though camels can last longer. (Unless in the desert)

I am not asking you to believe me King_Azzole I am happy for you to live in ignorance.

Racehorses have been around since at least roman times, but they did not field an army of racehorses in battle. Yes horses can be faster than camels, but only those bread for the purpose of racing, war horses were more hardy and strong than speedy. The average horse and average camel are fairly even, though camels can last longer. (Unless in the desert)

I am not asking you to believe me King_Azzole I am happy for you to live in ignorance.

I mentioned credible sources while you have mentioned none. Wow. I guess Wolfen > Wikipidia.

Well its pretty commonly known that throughbred race horses are not the type used as war horses...

Quote Originally Posted by mcantu
    Well its pretty commonly known that throughbred race horses are not the type used as war horses...

I can say the same for race camels. Wikipidia stated racing camels run an average of 25mph. The fastest human in the world can run close to that speed. Camels are simply slower. Every game which depicts them makes them slower, wikipidia says they are slower, hell even hollywood says they are slower. I don't see why I am arguing this. If you want to believe otherwise go right ahead. *shrugs* I'm done with this argument unless credible evidence is brought up that suggests otherwise, not word of mouth.

Not trying to argue...i'm just saying that the speed and endurance of of unarmored camel cavalry might need looking into. As it stands now, an unarmored Beduin Archer group is pretty much the same speed as a heavily armored horse mounted General group and seems to tire faster as well. I'm gonna play around with it some more and make sure though....

Found this on racing camels:

" Racing camels top speed 40 mph. Can run at 18 mph for one hour or 7 mph for up to 18 hours. In the Gold Cup that was recently run at Nad al-Shiba, the winning camel covered the 10 kilometers in 17 minutes and seven seconds (6.21 miles, averaging 21.76 mph). Because camels' humps store fat-not water- lean, streamlined racing camels have very small, almost vestigial, humps. Compared to an ordinary, run-of-the-desert camel, a racing camel looks like an enormous over-tall greyhound."

http://camelphotos.com/racing_camels.html

Camels definately need an endurance boost.

The problem with the camels top speed is that its only for short bursts, while the horse can maintain a top speed for much longer. I would suggest placing a camels charge speed similar to a horses sprinting speed, and increasing the endurance of camels drastically over those of horses.

Thats pretty amazing that camels can travel for 18 hours straight at a decent clip.

Quote Originally Posted by King_Azzole
    I mentioned credible sources while you have mentioned none. Wow. I guess Wolfen > Wikipidia.
    And why do I have to prove myself? You have access to the internet use it to find out the truth, I know facts because its something I learnt long ago.

Camels and horses run roughly the same speed but camels have more endurance as I said before.
    Last edited by Aedelric; September 08, 2006 at 02:49 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast