Thread: Mod that creates a column formation and column button

Default Mod that creates a column formation and column button

Greeting my fellow field marshals,

I'm no modder by any stretch of imagination, which is obviously why I stand before you lot now.

Anyway, I have a question: Is it possible to make a mod to where you can place a column button that will automatically form your particular unit into that formation, in the sort of fashion that cavalry square or light infantry formation is adopted?

As we all know, during this time period, column was used for maneuver, while line was used for full firing capacity?

I await the speedy reply! Thanks!

---Lord Shadowscar

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Mod that creates a column formation and column button

I don't think it is possible.

wangrin's Avatar Unguibus et Rostro
    Patrician Artifex

Contrary to formations for unit groups, formations for unit seem to be hardcoded.
    So, if CA didn't create a column formation, it's impossible for modders to create it.

Searching in ETW technologies, I found that CA had created a military_army_advance_in_column.tga icon, but it is unused :
    CA had probably planed to create a column formation but, finally, didn't add it to the game.

If you believe to miracle, perhaps the column formation had been added to game data... but is unused.
    But I doubt about it.
    Last edited by wangrin; July 27, 2013 at 01:35 AM.

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

I actually tried to add this button and connect it, no effect.

wangrin's Avatar Unguibus et Rostro
    Patrician Artifex

It is highly probable that CA didn't create column formation.
    If it is possible to find this button (relate to a technology), I didn't find any button about column formation.

Note that a land_hud_column_infantry_vanguard.luac exist in \ui\battle ui, but I don't know what is its effects.

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

klesh's Avatar Senator

If I recall there is also an "in-column" morale boost effect listed in the files, which also does not work. Perhaps once you researched "advance-in-column", you would've had a button that would put your troops into formation, boosting their morale for the advance to the enemy. Would've been great!
    Still playing Napoleon:TW