Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rome Total History (RTH) General Discussion

Spartan198's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Fantastic new mod Rome Total History RTH_1.1 released

Looks interesting. I'll be sure to give it a try soon. I definitely like all the island settlements in the Aegean.

Aymer de Valence's Avatar Protector Domesticus

If you wanted the official error message to help, it's:

Generic error:

Failed to find texture

'RTH/data/models_unit/rth/barb_gaestae_numidia.tga'.

Just a side note, in your post about how to install the mod you say that you need to edit the shortcut's target path. I haven't done this, and just start the mod from the launcher (which works fine). I assume this is ok because I've had a look on the campaign map and have looked at a lot of the new units in custom battle, it's just a few of the units cause a CTD. Do you know how to solve this?? Thanks!
    Cry God for Harry, England and Saint George!

The path is wrong, it should be "RTH/data/models_unit/rth/TEXTURES/barb_gaestae_numidia.tga" in data == descr_model_battle.txt look for "barb_gaestae_numidia.tga" and when you find the lin (should be like this)

Code:
    texture    numidia, RTH/data/models_unit/rth/barb_gaestae_numidia.tga
    Just change the path to the one I said above. This will fix the problem for that unit, you could also go through all the units in this file (data == descr_model_battle.txt) and make sure the paths are correct. It might take a few minutes, but once all the paths are sorted, the mod should be much more stable.

Thank you so much!!!

Biarchus

Looks like a great mod.

Question. In the first campaign picture the mouse is hovering over a fort and it says Roman (Julii). Why does it say Julii? I noticed you only list one Roman faction but did you keep the family name. That seems odd....

Another question. I have played EB and enjoyed the slow expansion of the game. The economy in EB is designed (especially early on) to limit warfare because you can't afford it. One of the things I don't enjoy are too many battles against stack after stack of enemies. The second picture shows a ton of Roman armies and you only control Italy. Is the economy built so that huge armies are available early or is the economy more like EB?

Ok update:

I've checked all of new units for every faction, and 99% are fine. The only issues I noticed were relatively minor:

- The Aethiopian fanatic crash can easily be fixed (see above)
    - The Syracusan cavalry for Epirus also caused me a CTD, but this was simply because the word 'Brutii' is missing the extra 'I' in the RTH/textures folder. Easily fixed with a renaming and the unit is now fine
    - One of the German units' names is 'unlocalise placement text'
    - Finally, the machimoi thureophoroi for Egypt have messed up shields, but this only a cosmetic problem

This mod is superb though, great job!

A little help please. I cannot get this installed correctly. I get a series of error messages when loading the campaign, such as "File does not exist: rth/data/models_strat/resource_salt.CAS." I have a pristine copy of RTW 1.5 and the RTH files, but I am obviously not mashing them together properly. Would someone please type slowly exactly what I do? Thanks.

im on mac trying to play mod just wondering what is the path to put -mod:RTH is what i have tried but would not load

Kirila the Kitten's Avatar Primicerius

For everyone!
    Take the files you downloaded
    extract them in a folder called RTH
    put that folder in the Romw-Total War folder
    make a shortcut of the RTW exe then add to the path -mod:RTH
    The end!

Is there a way to remove family members?? The mod is great, but I'm feeling so overwhelmed at the start of a campaign with any faction; there's almost triple the amount of family members compared to starting settlements. Is there a way to bring it back down to 3 or 4???????
    Last edited by Aymer de Valence; August 04, 2013 at 01:41 PM.

Great! Thanks for the instructions, Kirila the Brave Kitten.

I've played the mod these days. And while it is a great piece of work, made with great imagination and skill, there are problems. So, keep in mind, i like it, i just think, there could be a ton of improvement.

1. Balance.

Unit balancing is the biggest problem. For example:

I've played with the Seleucid Empire, and my generals bodyguard are the most useless piece of... there is. Peasants kill them with ease! Peasants! Also, yeah, i know camels beat horse cavalry good, but 25 vs 50 is not something that ends good. The list goes on, actually. I have the feeling, that many stat's are taken from other mods with their own system, that may work great for them, but when combined all together AND with vanilla and the result is... well, not ideal. fixing it IS time-consuming, but not that hard, so that the mod gets an improvement.

2. Starting stuff.
    Rome starts with a bunch of armies, and the Seleucid even have a settlement without a garrison. Also the non-existing infrastructure of the Seleucid Empire hits as hard as in vanilla.

3. Technical stuff
    There are missing UI's. I suppose there are doubling entries in the EDU for some units.

that aside, the mod is epic. There are some great ideas, some fun units, and i kinda feel, that some factions (Carthage for example) wore left behind in the adding of new units.

Quote Originally Posted by Aethelwulf Winterfylleth View Post
    A few units have caused a CTD due to the game not being able to find the texture, or something. Two I have found so far are the Sicilian cavalry for the Romans and the Aethiopian fanatics for Numidia. If I find anymore I'll let you know, but this mod is wonderful! Love the snake hurlers lol I'll give rep as soon as I can
    Thanks for your feedback. I came back from my holiday tonight and I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the game.
    As regards the bugs it would be good to have more precise information. Another user has reported the bug regarding the Sicilian cavalry telling me the exact address which is

texture romans_brutii, RTH/data/models_unit/rth/textures/unit_roman_light_cavalry_sicily_brutii.tga

The error occurs because the tga-file has written bruti instead of brutii. You can correct this by yourself, by renaming either the file or the line in descr_model_battle.txt.
    But this regards the Epirotes, so I don't know if this was your problem or if there is a similar problem for the Romans as you seem to say. But I believe there is no Sicilian Cavalry for the Romans_Julii, so I guess this is it. In any case I'll check it tomorrow.

As regards the Aethiopian fanatics I have just found the error. The line in descr_model_battle.txt reads:

texture numidia, RTH/data/models_unit/rth/barb_gaestae_numidia.tga

but it should be

texture numidia, RTH/data/models_unit/rth/textures/barb_gaestae_numidia.tga

The next version will have it corrected, but for the moment you can do it by yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy974 View Post
    The path is wrong, it should be "RTH/data/models_unit/rth/TEXTURES/barb_gaestae_numidia.tga" in data == descr_model_battle.txt look for "barb_gaestae_numidia.tga" and when you find the lin (should be like this)

Code:
    texture    numidia, RTH/data/models_unit/rth/barb_gaestae_numidia.tga
    Just change the path to the one I said above. This will fix the problem for that unit, you could also go through all the units in this file (data == descr_model_battle.txt) and make sure the paths are correct. It might take a few minutes, but once all the paths are sorted, the mod should be much more stable.
    Thanks Roy,

I'm glad to see that you are sorting these issues out by yourself. I should have read to the last post before answering.

Ok update:

- One of the German units' names is 'unlocalise placement text'
    - Finally, the machimoi thureophoroi for Egypt have messed up shields, but this only a cosmetic problem

This mod is superb though, great job!
    Thanks.
    Can you tell me more about that German unit (cavalry/infantry)? Maybe you can post the description text or a screenshot of the icon?
    I'll investigate that machimoi problem.

Is there a way to remove family members?? The mod is great, but I'm feeling so overwhelmed at the start of a campaign with any faction; there's almost triple the amount of family members compared to starting settlements. Is there a way to bring it back down to 3 or 4???????
    This is indeed one of the distinctive traits of this mods and I admit that it may be overwhelming as well as sometimes an economic problem since you need to maintain all those units. But due to the high number of regions, as you go on conquering, you will soon need a certain number of leaders.
    Of course it would be possible to release a simplified version with reduced family trees. An immediate solution would be to use your leaders in a very aggressive way so that some are killed in your first battles.

You can also remove family members by yourself in the descr_strat.txt file, but this is a delicate process which requires some experience, because even the slightest error will prevent the scenario from loading.

Quote Originally Posted by hameleona View Post
    I've played the mod these days. And while it is a great piece of work, made with great imagination and skill, there are problems. So, keep in mind, i like it, i just think, there could be a ton of improvement.

1. Balance.

Unit balancing is the biggest problem. For example:

I've played with the Seleucid Empire, and my generals bodyguard are the most useless piece of... there is. Peasants kill them with ease! Peasants! Also, yeah, i know camels beat horse cavalry good, but 25 vs 50 is not something that ends good. The list goes on, actually. I have the feeling, that many stat's are taken from other mods with their own system, that may work great for them, but when combined all together AND with vanilla and the result is... well, not ideal. fixing it IS time-consuming, but not that hard, so that the mod gets an improvement.

2. Starting stuff.
    Rome starts with a bunch of armies, and the Seleucid even have a settlement without a garrison. Also the non-existing infrastructure of the Seleucid Empire hits as hard as in vanilla.

3. Technical stuff
    There are missing UI's. I suppose there are doubling entries in the EDU for some units.

that aside, the mod is epic. There are some great ideas, some fun units, and i kinda feel, that some factions (Carthage for example) wore left behind in the adding of new units.
    Thanks haemeleona,

we have already discussed some of the points you name. Remember this is the first version and I am the first to say that a lot of things can be improved. I hope you help me get a better balance.

Regarding the things you name:

- neither peasants nor seleucid bodyguards have been altered. So this blame is for vanilla, I guess. I've always found it inconvenient to attack peasants with cavalry, but you're certainly right to say that in the end their victory should be out of question. I hope we can work on this together.
    - Rome needs quite a number of units to get things started. Since they start with only five cities, the computer is supposed to conquer three regions in the first three turns. This will put them on track to conquer all of Italy and Sicily.
    - The Seleucids have been deliberately mistreated to make this faction more challenging. Historically they repeatedly lost a number of their Eastern provinces and had to reaffirm their supremacy. This is the reason for the region without army (no error). You're starting in the midst of a crisis! As regards the infrastructure they got the Persian King's Road from Susa to Sardes. But maybe you refer to lacking baracks and stables. Well, I can announce that the next version will have something better: Garrisons! They will be much improved allowing to RECRUIT (that is BUILD) in each region specific mercenaries. Thus the Seleucid army will much better reflect the melting pot of the empire.
    - Which UIs are missing?
    - You are right about the Carthaginians. Additional units would be very welcome for Rome, Carthage and Spain in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by mattgregg87 View Post
    Looks like a great mod.

Question. In the first campaign picture the mouse is hovering over a fort and it says Roman (Julii). Why does it say Julii? I noticed you only list one Roman faction but did you keep the family name. That seems odd....

Another question. I have played EB and enjoyed the slow expansion of the game. The economy in EB is designed (especially early on) to limit warfare because you can't afford it. One of the things I don't enjoy are too many battles against stack after stack of enemies. The second picture shows a ton of Roman armies and you only control Italy. Is the economy built so that huge armies are available early or is the economy more like EB?
    Hi mattgregg87,

The first campaign picture is a bit older. I recycled it for convenience. Nowadays the tooltip would read Roman Castrum.

This mod has probably a faster pace than EB. Some factions, expecially the super-powers of the Hellenistic era, have huge armies right from the start. But you still have the problem of earning enough money allowing to maintain them. This was, for example, the driving idea behind Pyrrhus' campaigns. Similar to Epirus several other factions start in the middle of a crisis (financial, military or whatever) and you won't have much time to develop a strategy and find a solution.

Of course it would be possible to release a simplified version with reduced family trees.
    Yes please.

Biarchus

I just tried this out. The game launched fine but as I was browsing through the tabs, I clicked on the Senate tab and it CTD. I thought you said it was stable. I never even moved 1 army or finished one turn.

Thoughts?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast