Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL Discussion Thread

Default Re: 2013 NFL Season Thread

You said he's not clutch. Driving your team on a 90 yard two minute drill to win the SB is the definition of clutch in the NFL. What is is pointed to almost always as the greatest clutch performance in NFL history? The Drive. This was about 8 yards shorter and done 2-3 minutes quicker. I'm not sure how you can ignore that and brush it off as luck. And lets not forget, SB 40 was only his second year in the league.

And yeah, i'd rather have any of those 4 guys, but that's not exactly a shocker. Then again, it's not exactly like those guys haven't had their failings. Especially Manning. Don't remember any of his games against the early Brady teams? He completely crapped the bed.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by brandbll View Post
    You said he's not clutch. Driving your team on a 90 yard two minute drill to win the SB is the definition of clutch in the NFL. What is is pointed to almost always as the greatest clutch performance in NFL history? The Drive. This was about 8 yards shorter and done 2-3 minutes quicker. I'm not sure how you can ignore that and brush it off as luck. And lets not forget, SB 40 was only his second year in the league.

And yeah, i'd rather have any of those 4 guys, but that's not exactly a shocker. Then again, it's not exactly like those guys haven't had their failings. Especially Manning. Don't remember any of his games against the early Brady teams? He completely crapped the bed.

Does not matter. Only one time and with a lousy performance he had to rely on his defense to get to this point in the game. Did you expect Kurt Warner to bow down? I watched that entire game live at the time and I wasn't impress. What about SB 45? Saw that game live to and he choked in that game to, especially the ending. What about the Broncos/Steelers game playoff of 2011 and .vs. Peyton (34-17 Broncos)? He choked that game to and had a pick return for a touchdown. Had the ball what, 8 or 10 minutes at one point and Peyton ended up getting his 400th TD in what, 35 seconds in 2 plays?

Besides, John Elway was a much better QB then Ben will be today.

Ben lost this ball game 55-31. If he was so good, why didn't he come back? I thought he and his O line was great? He just isn't a consistent QB and that's a fact. He can have 1 great game then blow the next 10 and wonder why. Just like Eli Manning. Only two QB's I ever watch that win a SB and blow the season afterwards, and in the case of Ben, get killed in SB45 and blow the season after to Tebow and then get beat by double the points by Manning in Game #1 after that.

All QB's have their failings yes, Elway got murdered .vs. Montana in the SB 55-10..... but he came back and won 2 back to back SB's, something I doubt Ben will ever do.

So what if his defense got him to that point in the game? He isn't a one man wrecking ball and as i pointed out, guys that are like Manning, have crapped the bed too(hell look at Brady against NYG). If a SB winnning 90 yard drive with two minutes left isn't the pinnacle of a clutch performance, i don't know what is. You seem to be mistaking clutch performances with dominating ones. The bottom line is, you said he wasn't clutch and i provided an example of what is considered the highest example of it. You can brush it off as luck, but you'd be wrong. I mean, you're talking about inconsistencies and all tehse stats...being clutch doesn't show up in stats. No one is clutch all the time, it is a situational element. It doesn't neccesarily show up in the box score and a lot of times you have be watching to see it.

And don't even get me started on Elway's SBs. He won them at the end of his career when he was ENGULFED in superstars and HoFs. Any average QB could have won those SBs with those teams, and Ben R. could have easily done it. I don't even know how you can bring up Elway with a straight face talking about SB performances when his two of his first three were asbsolute trash. Hell, look at his first win. 123 yards and an INT. Is that the mark of a great QB performance?? Of coruse, he didn't have to perform well, jsut like Big Ben because he has his team doing the work. I don't see how in the world you can trash Ben R. and then come back dropping Elway's name as a good person to look at.

And i'm not even sure what back to back SBs has to do with anything. There are so many factors that lead up to that(including many factors outside the team), that it really has only little to do with him.

NaptownKnight's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Simonyi de Vitézvár View Post
    Won because of some fluke plays. And besides, who did the Broncos beat last year, Ravens? And who beat Denver in the playoffs? Ravens. You better not hope they meat Denver again in the playoffs because I'm betting they will lose to Denver.

Go beat Denver in the playoffs and then you come back to me and say they are better. Until then, nope, Denver got the better record + stats .
    What fluke plays are you referring to? Manning getting sacked twice? All of your receivers being completely shut down until Welker in the 4th quarter? You got destroyed, garbage time Manning TDs made it closer. It was what, 34- 17 at the start of the 4th? The only quality opponent the Broncos have played is the Colts and they lost, we have blown out SF on the road, and taken down SEA and DEN at home. We are the best in the NFL right now and have the strength of victory to prove it. Also, beating up on cupcakes and a less than spectacular Dallas team is not comparable to the schedule the Colts have faced, and triumphed against. Pep doesn't go ridiculously conservative against SD and we have the same record as DEN AND the head to head win.

Quote Originally Posted by brandbll View Post
    You barely eeked out a win against the Texans, and a combination of a horrible reversal(that i mentioned earlier) and the worst kicker to ever grace the NFL, saved you. Oh, and thats not even mentioning that Wade Freaking Phillips took over for Kubiak at halftime which was coincidentally when the Texans melted down.
    So I guess you didn't watch the first half? A clear fumble recovery by the Colts, overturned. A clear roughing the kicker, not called. The Texans scored 14 points on these possessions they shouldn't even have had. If anything the Johnson no catch was a make up call. Wade Phillips had nothing to do with the play calling, know your facts before you come on here, their offensive coordinator called the plays from the booth. Finally, the Texans have only been blown out one game, and they only lost by one TD to to all of the rest of their opponents, and they have the second ranked defense in the NFL. Plus, it is a divisional game on the road and they are our chief division rivals, those kind of games are always close.

Go on keep hating, my Colts have set records and contended for a decade, and with only one year off in 2011, and a stepping stone year in 2012, we are back in the race. You ALL wish your franchise was that good, the only other fans who dont are Patriot fans, but soon even they will be jealous once Brady finishes his regression. I also love that everything I told everyone, especially YOU HunterKYA about Luck vs. RG3 is being proven true. Mango, your right about Wilson, him and Luck are the clear class of that draft but Luck has the edge right now.
    Last edited by NaptownKnight; November 05, 2013 at 12:58 AM.

Indefinitely Banned

Still could hardly beat the Texans.

And if you really want to play like that, even though I'm a Manning/Broncos fan, I'm willing to bring this up, you know most of the time he was ONE AND DONE in Indy right playoff wise? I know and I'll agree it wasn't entirely his fault but, funny how you disregard that especially since Luck was 1 and done to .vs. the Ravens last year.

Again, we'll see you guys in the playoffs when Indy will choke and lose (again) while Denver and the Pats advance. Because I know Denver is that good. What records are Indy putting up again this year compared to Denver?

Luck and the Colts had no business being in the playoffs last year, that team had 30 mil in dead cap space, one of the worst offensive lines ever, and no defensive backs to speak of. Now that Manning's bonus money has come off the books, we signed the players we need to have an actual shot this year. Loosing on the road in the playoffs to the eventual SB champs, and who you were an underdog to, is not choking. What the Broncos did against the Ravens is choking. Don't tell me about how your a Manning fan, you've had him for two years, I don't think that your love of Peyton even compares to us Colt fans. My son is named Peyton, born right after we won the SuperBowl. We arent putting up any records this year, all we are doing is winning, against very quality opponents too. Irsay was right about how to build a team, you dont need the "Star Wars" numbers, you just need a great QB and solid players around him on BOTH sides of the ball. We have a better pass rusher than you (Mathis is on pace to shatter single season sack record), a better secondary, better special teams. The only thing the Broncos have is three WRs and a HOF QB, which with Manning's precision based passing game will get you wins in the warmer weather. Go ahead and look at Manning's numbers in cold weather. When the weather gets bad the timing is off on his WR routes and he suffers, and I love Peyton and I have suffered through many disappointing losses because of this. You will not win this year because your home field advantage is actually a disadvantage for Manning, he hates playing outside in the cold. He was perfect here because if he had home field he was inside.

Indefinitely Banned

You really take this to seriously. Not only that, you're making excuses. So it's ok when Peyton "chokes" .vs. Ravens even though he did not, yet it's ok when your team got killed EVERY year expect for that one lucky year (SB41) and got whoop .vs. the Saints, in a game where it pains for me to say this but Peyton did kind of choke in that game. I like Peyton probably more then half of you Colts fan do, but I realize it's only a game (you name your kid after him, that's great). Stop making excuses and start backing it up in the playoffs.

Denver has the better overall team then Indy. Don't like it? Then tell the Colts to win the SB this year and I'll post in this very thread saying my team is overrated and Indy deserves it all. Don't get me wrong, I like Luck, I like to get his jersey one day. But I'm sticking with Peyton's Broncos jersey right now.

We'll talk again then .

I never said Peyton was at fault for the playoff losses, I implied as much too when I said your not going to win by devoting all your money to weapons for him. I never said he choked, I said your team did, that safety especially. I dont know much about the Saints SB, I was in Afghanistan at the time, but I do know that Manning wasnt the one who was more worried about his playboy bunny than actually catching an onside kick (Hank Baskett), nor was Manning at fault for Freeney being injured for that game. And ESPN agrees with me http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings...d=sportscenter . Loving my Indiana sports, #1 NBA team and # 2 NFL team.

jukeness's Avatar Domesticus

Hey Naptown your back and already making crazy statements. Good to have you back to make this thread interesting. I wont argue that you put the Colts as the #2 NFL team because even you know that isn't true. But the fact that you put the Pacers at #1 disturbs me, you cant have them at #1 when the Heat beat them every year in the playoffs and are coming off back to back championships.

Angrychris's Avatar Primicerius

Payton is by far the best QB playing but seems to get shut down during playoffs. Stop the pass and he'll still keep trying to hammer it in like a kobe bryant. I'm a jets fan and i would bet that they could beat denver or come close to it. Jets kill offensive pass teams but get slaughtered by good defensive teams. Lack of offensive passing has always been an issue with rex/jets. Reminds me of when rex/sanchez first came in with a nice running/defensive team but with limited passing. Geno smith only had like 18 completions for less then 200 yard in their last 2 victory games. Payton needs some running back alternatives and geno smith needs experience or faster legs.

Leave it to the modder to perfect the works of the paid developers for no profit at all.

I have been obsessing over DOTA 2 and SMITE in my free time, I dont have Rome 2 yet so I havent been on here in awhile. And Im not the only one saying the PAcers are #1, ESPN has them at #1 and the Heat at five right now.

Scipio Afracanis's Avatar Protector Domesticus

All those big Colts wins(Seahawks, San Fran, Denver) and I'm thinking something is missing cause these wins don't seem as good if we don't have a rabid Indy fan blowing up the thread. Good to see you back though!

1.Indy
    2. San Fran
    3.Denver
    4.Seahawks
    5.Saints
    6. Cinncy
    7. Pats
    8. Panthers
    9. KC
    10.Dallas

My Top 10 as of today. 6-8 is could be arranged either way but everything else is correct imo.
    Last edited by Scipio Afracanis; November 06, 2013 at 02:17 PM.
    2010 ,2012,2014 World Series Champions: San Francisco Giants
    1962, 1989, 2002

Quote Originally Posted by NaptownKnight View Post
    I have been obsessing over DOTA 2 and SMITE in my free time, I dont have Rome 2 yet so I havent been on here in awhile. And Im not the only one saying the PAcers are #1, ESPN has them at #1 and the Heat at five right now.
    Power rankings don't count.

Quote Originally Posted by NaptownKnight View Post
    Go on keep hating, my Colts have set records and contended for a decade, and with only one year off in 2011, and a stepping stone year in 2012, we are back in the race. You ALL wish your franchise was that good, the only other fans who dont are Patriot fans, but soon even they will be jealous once Brady finishes his regression. I also love that everything I told everyone, especially YOU HunterKYA about Luck vs. RG3 is being proven true. Mango, your right about Wilson, him and Luck are the clear class of that draft but Luck has the edge right now.
    Why bring me into an discussion I had no part in? The past is the past. Leave it alone and stop rubbing it in people's faces, only makes you look like a sore winner.

You add any more to this, it only solidifies my point.

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

God I hope the Panthers beat the 9ers this week so people can finally shut up about that how the Panthers "haven't played anyone", as if that is even a valid argument.

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by therussian View Post
    God I hope the Panthers beat the 9ers this week so people can finally shut up about that how the Panthers "haven't played anyone", as if that is even a valid argument.
    Same here. Its about time the Panthers step up to the plate.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    While you are at it, allow Germany to rearm, it's not like they committed the worst atrocity in modern history, so having a strong army can't lead to anything pitiful.

Scipio Afracanis's Avatar Protector Domesticus

If they beat a playoff team then things look better for them going forward and are a credible threat, if they lose then why would it matter if they beat up on bad teams?

Just call them KC of the NFC, or KFC.
    2010 ,2012,2014 World Series Champions: San Francisco Giants
    1962, 1989, 2002

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

It's not like SF has beaten anyone good during their winning streak either.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Easy ing win they said. It'll be a breeze they said...

Washington will officially suck s if they lose to a ONE WIN TEAM!!! Only THEY can find ways of losing to one of the top three teams in the league!!! (sorry, jukeness)

Welcome to life as a Redskins fan, where just when you think the ineptitude couldn't get any worse, it does.

EDIT: They now OFFICIALLY suck massive s!!! Stupid ing , First and ing Goal instead the damn 7-yard line and all you do is ing pass?!? Stupid ing !!! Fire the Shanahans and Haslett right now, because they all ing suck with that sorry excuse for a game!!!

Hey I'm mad too, I don't even want the Vikings winning any more games. Well I'm not mad, but I'm all in for the Vikes getting that Oregon quarterback and this win certainly didn't help.