Thread: Quick guide for the not-so-rich gamer :)

Default Quick guide for the not-so-rich gamer :)

Hi guys, let´s see if I´m able to give you a couple of hints in case you want games but have not the extra cash to buy them.

Finding best deals.

I have been spending quite some time lately trying to find legit places to buy the latests TW games, specially Rome 2 for me and some friends who want to make epic battles. We have not much cash so I spent some time looking for web-places and retailers that would sell these games at a better price than Steam would. I have been a client of www.greenmangaming.com, and they have some good deals sometimes but it seems the Rome Total War 25% was over, so I kept on searching. It turns out there are dozens of such stores, but not all of them are completely legit (as in trustworthy... people you would give your credit card info to). And what is better, there are webpages that give you a nice filter and price comparison against each other, like www.allkeyshop.com/blog. I recommend you take a look at those pages and double check the web reputation of the sites they link to... I was pretty amazed the cd-key sellers have gone "clean" and now they have total transparency with their selling, safe payment gateways, proper bills... I was pretty against these stores until I made some research and found there are legit and creepy ones and they are easy to differentiate.

Being lucky.

Anyways, in case you are even poorer, or dislike buying anything outside Steam/retailer: running through those sites I came across a completely different concept... giveaways. It might sound silly, but the degree in which some people and proper sites are going ahead with giveaways is amazing. For instance take a look into http://www.steamgifts.com. A completely non-profit page that let´s you enter giveaway´s raffles, and to enter the raffle you use an in-site "coin" system in which you receive "coins" when anyone generates a raffle. If you generate one giveaway, you receive the coins that are needed to enter that raffle and also the $ value of the game in steam into your "contributors wallet". The $ in your contributos wallet allows you to enter special giveaways that people generate to thank those who create giveaways... Is just a measurement of how generous you have been to the community. It might sound convoluted but just take a look at it. You will be amazed at the amount of people that give games for free (specially in Steam summer sales, etc).

In facebook you can also find many giveaways, usually run by companies themselves to get as many followers and likes as possible. Specially amazing is the EVGA summer giveaways that they make every year (http://www.evga.com/14/). They just go berserker. I recommend you take a look into your favourite Game/HW providers in facebook, because most of them run giveaways all year around (check ASUS, ttSports, Intel, AMD,...).

Hopefully this info will help you guys.. if you are interested I will keep looking for sites like this. And if you have questions, just let me know!!
    Last edited by ignaciospain1; August 01, 2013 at 02:19 AM.

JGL's Avatar Miles

Default Re: Quick guide for the not-so-rich gamer :)

Lesson #1 for beginners: Wait for the steam sale
    The Moralizing Empire.
    "When my lovely tribe invaded other land it was for bravery and pride, if Rome invaded other land it was because Romans were the evil." Courtesy of Romanheart
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Sharpe View Post
    Lesson #1 for beginners: Wait for the steam sale
    How could I not include that in the guide?

the new username's Avatar Praepositus

If you are really poor, you could get your merchandise through not so respectable means.

By buying second hand from someone.

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

This smells weird.
    or
    Thanks for your altruistic suggestions.
    Last edited by mishkin; July 28, 2013 at 11:53 AM.

JGL's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by mishkin View Post
    This smells weird.
    or
    Thanks for your altruistic suggestions.
    Lol good point , but either way good guide.
    The Moralizing Empire.
    "When my lovely tribe invaded other land it was for bravery and pride, if Rome invaded other land it was because Romans were the evil." Courtesy of Romanheart
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Sharpe View Post
    Lol good point , but either way good guide.
    Nothing too fishy... just my two cents. I´m keeping an eye for giveaways for Rome, and TW collections in case someone here does not have them (for best prices you can visit each forum´s section like here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Rome-II-Prices).

Regards.
    Last edited by ignaciospain1; July 29, 2013 at 03:55 PM.

this guide really helped me alot..im student so i always look for things within my budget..good thing there is this giveaway site who gives us a chance to win free games! thanks guys! appreciate it!

Voodo chile's Avatar Campidoctor

Learn to fix computers. The money saved could buy you one or even two games at full release priceI had problems with my computer and just gave up on it. I went through the phone book and compiled a list of companies. Cheapest rate was $60 to open the case up for an clean and inspection. If you don't have a car you're also edActually, just become a computer technician and you'le probably be set for life.

Saving money of video games and gaming systems is easy to do if you apply this genius idea. Don't mind taking a little time and doing some legwork.

Schmidyk's Avatar Laetus

Great little How To guide really.I often only buy games on sale unless they are must have games that appeal to me. 80% of the games I own on Steam have been bought during the Summer/Winter sales

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Never ever pre-order, ever! Oh yeah, and Steam sales are good.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Schmidyk's Avatar Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    Never ever pre-order, ever! Oh yeah, and Steam sales are good.
    Know what you mean, I've pre-ordered two games Football Manager 2013. I got the Beta 2 weeks before release and it was a joke, the Match Engine was completely broken and was barely fixed when the game was released. Rome II (which a mate pre-ordered for me) hasn't been that bad, for me at least, apart from being extremely slow during the turns