Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The Siege Camp of the Franks, across the Golden Horn in Galata

Default Re: The Siege Camp of the Franks, across the Golden Horn in Galata

A sea of colourful tents and banners, men and horses moving around as it was a real thriving city. Behind that, the wonderful city that his father and brother had told him about: Constantinople, once the shining star of the East, now covered in the depressing fog of war. The last of the suns rays were running over Godfrey's shoulders as he gazed at the horizon, it appeared to form a halo around his head and reflected from the chainmail on his arms, as felt that this first accomplishment had already brought him one step closer to God's Kingdom.
    After a few moments, he turned his horse towards his followers, a group of about 50 footmen with a few wagons, covered in mud up to their waste, and all showing signs of fatigue.
    We've done it, boys. Behold the hart of the Roman Empire, gateway to Outremer. One more quick march, I want to be set up before dark.
    Several loud sighs of relief went up from the group as it started to march onward once again.
    Quote Originally Posted by wyrda78 View Post
    Well maybe if there was a thread instructing people on how to mod there would be more modders.

A siege camp, was no place for a lady. No one would agree upon this more then Philippa de Lusignan. Yet of all people, she was present here.
    She wanted to help her brother in everything to ensure victory and glory. She felt it was her destiny, by the grace of god, to be present here. She was certain about it that her family would have a great future here, as they had in Cyprus and Jerusalem. Ah, Jerusalem. Yes, she was a far way from home. But there she would be still serving Queen Isabella. Not that anything was wrong with that, but she had to take the chance to have something of her own. She could always return to her aunt's court if need be.
    Nobody had encouraged her to come along with the crusade, but nobody had told her it was this uncomfortable. She could only hope that the men would take the city swiftly so they could enter it. She was dying for a proper meal and bed.

Robert slowly made his way through the crusader camp, carefully avoiding the stinking, foul hedge knights and entrepreneurs, smiling politely to those who greeted him before quickly making his way towards Phillipa de Lusignan.

Ganbarenippon's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Roland de Provence reported to his cousins tent. "Simon, I hear we will aid de Lusignan at the walls. What do you need me to do?" He asked his cousin, for once, seriously.

With the War Council now over, Simon de Provence departed the Council and returned to his tent. There he removed his armor and had it sent to the blacksmiths to repair and polish the armor so that it would be ready for the coming battle. Afterwards, Simon began speaking with a few of his commanders to inform them of the overall plan for the assult and he told them to prepare their men to be ready in three days.

When his cousin arrived and asked him the question, he responded
    “I am not sure Roland. For now prepare yourself for the coming battle. I will need to go to de Lusignan soon to inquire specifically about what he plans to do. I recall that he mentioned using our trebuchets to batter the wall next to Lycus River and if that is the case, then I want you by my side Rolland when we assault the breach with the first wave of men."

Jokern's Avatar Mowbray of Nottingham

Arvid, accompanied by his knights and Father Johannes, returned to his tent in his part of the camp after the war council. He entered with the priest and sat down at his table, immediately starting to write out commands for his men, Johannes helping him make copies. They only had three days to prepare for the day of the assault. Nothing too difficult, he thought to himself. His soldiers had been trained in efficiency and disciplne, preparation for battle was imprinted in their bones. For now though, they could rest up and have fun. Arvid was the only one right now that had to work.

Roland looked at Simon, proud of his cousins asking him to fight with him. "I will be there cousin. I'll shield your blind side." He replied gravely. Something about the council had shaken him, perhaps it was the fact that the battle was so near, or the place they had been asked to assault, but suddenly the songs did not seem quite so glorious. But his cousin seemed calm, and to have faith in him. That did much to fortify Roland's nerves. For now.

"Is there ought else you need of me for now Simon?" He asked.

“As of right now cousin, I have nothing else for you. Go rest and prepare yourself cousin. You have three days to ready yourself for your first large scale battle. Are you nervous cousin? I know i was when I fought my first battle years ago when my mercenary company fought in the wars of King Phillipe II Augustus.” said Simon.

Roland nodded. "I'll admit I have...trepidation about the battle. Those walls have held back armies for millennia. Greeks, Macedonians, Goths, Arabs, and even Romans. The prospect is...daunting." He smiles. "I'll be fine Simon. Truly. Once I get my sword wet!" His laugh was not entirely convincing.

“I can understand your trepidation cousin. We are facing mighty walls that none have been able to storm in its entire history. It will be a formidable task and it will be the start of a long and bloody day when the battle begins. But I think we will succeed. The Romans are not as strong as they once were and their capital shall fall to our hands.” said Simon. He places a hand on his cousin’s shoulder and said with a smile “I am glad that you shall be at my side when the battle begins cousin. Whatever happens, we face our foes together in the name of House de Provence. God wills it!”

Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Hross View Post
    Willyame took Athelstan's last words to heart. In the evening cool he had moved camp to higher ground so that even by first light the warbanners of the late Richard the Lionheart would fly, to gather more of the remnants of that crusade. A net to draw in the fish as they met the Fourth Crusade as they themselves were heading back. Willyame liked the analogy, for the disciples had been called fishers of men.
    The English camp had been made on the far side, but during the night Willyame strolled off to seek a little solitude and pray. Here on the hillock the nocturnal noises of the sea of the hosts and a thousand campfires drifted beneath the starry firmament. As Willyame crested the rise he came across another man, alone, stood looking out. He addressed him in the lingua Franca. "God be with you, friend."
    "As I trust The Lord, so I may trust your tongue, friend."
    Removing his skyward gaze, he rose to more comfortably address the approaching man.

"Forgive me if I do not first introduce myself; these niceties of exchange I more immediately observe in times of peace. But my mind begs to know of our instructions to move, as the spread of orders had caught me off guard when I first entered camp. I can see that you too prefer this air - it is the most pleasurable spot of solitude I've found since I've come here. So, amiable stranger, what brings you on this crusade?"

After Simon de Provence was finished speaking with his cousin, he spent a small amount of time ensuring that his soldiers would be prepared for the coming fight. He had at his command 3,000 Frenchmen who eager to spill Greek blood. He had been appointed the overall commander of this French host and he needed to win their loyalty to ensure that they would continue to fight with him when the siege of Constantinople was done. He spent time speaking to his men and ensuring that they were in good morale and health, that there arms and armor were ready for the coming battle, checking everything from the sharpness of their blades to the strength of their shields to ensuring that his crossbowmen had enough bolts to last the battle. The inspection of his men took the remainder of the 10th of April, 1204.

The next morning, after he had finished inspecting his soldiers, Simon left his area of the Crusader encampment and walked towards the tent of the Crusading Army’s elected Commander Bohemund de Lusignan. He had been assigned to join de Lusginan on the attack of the wall section of the walls where the Lycus River met the walls of Constantinople. If he was going to join the attack here, he wanted to know what his commander was going to do there. When he arrived at the tent, he waited patiently for a guard at the tent’s entrance to allow him to enter.

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Bastard Feudalism View Post
    The Parisian nodded, and turned to face and gesture at the map.
    "Assuming the Romans are focused on fending off attacks farther to the west and south, an attack across the Golden Horn from Galata could hold the element of surprise."
    His arms reached over the table, and his fingers traced first a swooping aquatic attack from the south, then an attack from the west, and finally a trail from Galata to the Imperial District using his right index finger.
    "Obviously, I cannot vouch for the probability of surprise, but if we are successful, we will be richer than King Philippe Augustus."
    D'Alencon had actually seen this paragon of a king on numerous occasions, sometimes in the many fields of battle between King John and King Philip, and sometimes in Paris at court;
    It was no little thing to outweigh the Augustus in prestige.
    Bohemond watched the attack pattern that Philip had in mind. He examined Galata and the harbors that Philip would strike at. The Frank stroked his chin slightly.

Assuming the Varangian Guard is not stationed in the area of the palace, I suspect forces will be light in the area. These incompetent Emperors are ill-advised and lacking in strategy. Capturing the Imperial District will ensure the Emperor and his family cannot escape, as well as secure the Severan Wall for our advancement towards the Hagia Sophia and the Imperial Palace.

Bohemond taps his finger and runs it along a wall formation, the third and final defensive formation of Constantinople.

How many ships do you need again? And I will have a few more people join your assault to ensure you have good numbers to either hold the harbors or continue your advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Honors Bastion View Post
    After Simon de Provence was finished speaking with his cousin, he spent a small amount of time ensuring that his soldiers would be prepared for the coming fight. He had at his command 3,000 Frenchmen who eager to spill Greek blood. He had been appointed the overall commander of this French host and he needed to win their loyalty to ensure that they would continue to fight with him when the siege of Constantinople was done. He spent time speaking to his men and ensuring that they were in good morale and health, that there arms and armor were ready for the coming battle, checking everything from the sharpness of their blades to the strength of their shields to ensuring that his crossbowmen had enough bolts to last the battle. The inspection of his men took the remainder of the 10th of April, 1204.

The next morning, after he had finished inspecting his soldiers, Simon left his area of the Crusader encampment and walked towards the tent of the Crusading Army’s elected Commander Bohemund de Lusignan. He had been assigned to join de Lusginan on the attack of the wall section of the walls where the Lycus River met the walls of Constantinople. If he was going to join the attack here, he wanted to know what his commander was going to do there. When he arrived at the tent, he waited patiently for a guard at the tent’s entrance to allow him to enter.
    The elected Commander was eating his breakfast when a guard walked in, announcing that Simon de Provence wished an audience. Bohemond wiped his mouth and then swallowed his food before waving his hand. The guard bowed and walked out, permitting Simon to enter the tent in order to speak with the de Lusignan.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Pinkerton's Avatar Praeses

Father Lawrence had taken the job of raising the Crusader's morale. He was surrounded by a crowd of men: young, old and middle-aged. It didn't matter, for all they wanted was to hear the sacred words from someone that spoke English

His voice was deep but clear, and all men could understand what he said

DO NOT FEAR, MY BROTHERS, For the LORD, your God, is he that goeth with you, to fight for you against your enemies, to save you.

He was cheered

It is the LORD who goes before you. He will be with you; he will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Malfoy View Post
    The elected Commander was eating his breakfast when a guard walked in, announcing that Simon de Provence wished an audience. Bohemond wiped his mouth and then swallowed his food before waving his hand. The guard bowed and walked out, permitting Simon to enter the tent in order to speak with the de Lusignan.
    Simon entered the tent, gave a quick bow to the commander out of courtesy, and said “Commander de Lusignan, since my forces will be joining yours in assaulting the Lycus River section of Constantinople’s walls, I wish to inquire about what your plan will be when we begin the assault. How shall we be attacking Constantinople? Shall we be battering the walls with our trebuchets, in hopes that the walls will collapse or will we be using our siege towers to attack the city?”

Citizen

Bohemond stands up, bringing Simon over to the map of the city he had been using to plan his assault.

We will be using both, Simon. I have plans to confuse the Byzantines as much as possible in order for our assault to succeed. I will have 11,000 troops at my disposal...and if we try to move through the opening in the wall all together, it will bottle up our advancement, make us vulnerable and slow our progress. With the wall down and siege towers approaching as well as a force moving through the hole in their wall, the Greeks will be forced to either divide their attention or leave one part of their defense weak.

He pulls up the map and points to the Golden Gate. Then looks at Simon.

I am devising a 'false camp' strategy, something Alexander the Great used during his campaigns towards the East. For the next few days before our assault, the Greeks will notice more and more campfires and tents being deployed along the most southern part of their defenses. Right where the Venetian ships will be spotted. I will also have makeshift sap points being made to confuse them at that camp. The camp fires will greatly increase as I have our main camp fires decrease for the next few nights.

He sweeps his hand downward towards the Golden Gate.

If this ruse works, our attack routes will be lightly defended since the Greeks will have their focus southward instead of northward.

Simon examined the map for a few moments while trying to formulate his thoughts. When he finally did speak, he said “It is a clever plan Bohemund. It seems that you have managed to cover every angle for this assault. I do not see any weaknesses in this plan nor can I make any suggestions to it. Now that I know your plan of battle, where do you wish for my forces to deploy?”
    Last edited by Honors Bastion; July 31, 2013 at 03:12 PM.

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Malfoy View Post
    Bohemond watched the attack pattern that Philip had in mind. He examined Galata and the harbors that Philip would strike at. The Frank stroked his chin slightly.

Assuming the Varangian Guard is not stationed in the area of the palace, I suspect forces will be light in the area. These incompetent Emperors are ill-advised and lacking in strategy. Capturing the Imperial District will ensure the Emperor and his family cannot escape, as well as secure the Severan Wall for our advancement towards the Hagia Sophia and the Imperial Palace.

Bohemond taps his finger and runs it along a wall formation, the third and final defensive formation of Constantinople.

How many ships do you need again? And I will have a few more people join your assault to ensure you have good numbers to either hold the harbors or continue your advance.

Philip looked slightly concerned at mentioning of the Imperial Guards, a slight strain passing over his brow.
    "I plan to avoid them if I can."
    It disappeared quickly though.
    "Thirty ships then, if you're sending more men with me."
    He glanced at the spot on the map where the Lycus met the Theodosian Walls.
    "We should begin the assaults at three hours past-noon. My attack will come after dark."

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Honors Bastion View Post
    Simon examined the map for a few moments while trying to formulate his thoughts. When he finally did speak, he said “It is a clever plan Bohemund. It seems that you have managed to cover every angle for this assault. I do not see any weaknesses in this plan nor can I make any suggestions to it. Now that I know your plan of battle, where do you wish for my forces to deploy?”
    Bohemond strokes his chin slightly, pondering upon his troop numbers. He taps the wall of Theodosius lightly.

I may have your troops positioned with mine when the wall breaks down and we advance through the hole in their defenses. I will have the majority, number wise, among our 11,000 troops that will be ready for the Lycus assault, so I may not dedicate all of mine and have some in reserve to aid either the advance through the gap or along the walls once the towers are in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastard Feudalism View Post
    Philip looked slightly concerned at mentioning of the Imperial Guards, a slight strain passing over his brow.
    "I plan to avoid them if I can."
    It disappeared quickly though.
    "Thirty ships then, if you're sending more men with me."
    He glanced at the spot on the map where the Lycus met the Theodosian Walls.
    "We should begin the assaults at three hours past-noon. My attack will come after dark."

Hopefully the Guard won't be in your vicinity, Philip. If they aren't, then it will make your efforts a lot more easy.

He gestures towards the Harbor of Theodosius.

The Venetians will strike first, as I stated, their goals will be taking the harbor and holding it. And, if they can, aid in the effort of securing the Wall of Constantine. Their assault will begin around noon and the early afternoon.

Bohemond then points to the two rear harbors of the city.

Your assault will be last. Towards dusk when the sun has gone down, the night will help with your surprise upon the two rear harbors. And by then, most of the Greek forces will be dedicated elsewhere. Your objective is to secure the Hagia Sophia, the Imperial Palace and the Severan Wall.

Then finally, he gestures to the area in front of the Theodosian Wall.

My assault will be happening between the Venetian assault and dusk. With siege towers, ladders and trebuchets upon Lycus and Blacharnae.

He then taps the area before the Golden Gate.

If my ruse works and the Venetian attack goes well, the Greeks will be too focused upon the Golden Gate and harbor. This may ensure that the other assault areas will be lightly defended.
    Last edited by Lucius Malfoy; July 31, 2013 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkerton View Post
    Father Lawrence had taken the job of raising the Crusader's morale. He was surrounded by a crowd of men: young, old and middle-aged. It didn't matter, for all they wanted was to hear the sacred words from someone that spoke English

His voice was deep but clear, and all men could understand what he said

DO NOT FEAR, MY BROTHERS, For the LORD, your God, is he that goeth with you, to fight for you against your enemies, to save you.

He was cheered

It is the LORD who goes before you. He will be with you; he will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed
    Godfrey walked out of his tent as he noticed the preacher and his crowd. His English was poor, but he could understand the basics of his words. He walked towards a bucket of water next to his tent and splashed some in his face and on his chest and arms. He occasionally looked up at the crowd as they cheered. As he dried his face with a piece of cloth, he noticed some of his own men standing at the back of the crowd and cheering along, even though they didn't understand a single word of it. He snapped his fingers and pointed towards the sergeant standing behind them, who appeared rather indifferent towards the mass.
    "Gunter! get those men ready for the assault, I'd rather have them armoured and ready by the time we start the attack!"

The sergeant knodded and started yelling at the other soldiers, who backed off from the crowd and scattered to the tents around Godfrey in a hasty pase.
    Godfrey turned towards his squire carrying his equipment and beckoned him, the golden lion on the front of his surcoat looked fresher than yesterday, when it was still stained with splashes of mud. Godfrey stroked it as the squire fastened the laces on his back, while gazing at the walls of Constatinople. "Lions of Brabant and Flanders have always been with first to take the walls, God help me, I will make sure to continue that legacy."
    He accepted the helm offered by his squire and put it on
    "Gunter, spread the word: 15 minutes until inspection"
    Quote Originally Posted by wyrda78 View Post
    Well maybe if there was a thread instructing people on how to mod there would be more modders.