Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The Siege Camp of the Franks, across the Golden Horn in Galata

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Default Re: The Siege Camp of the Franks, across the Golden Horn in Galata

Bohemond turns his gaze back to where he came from. The mighty walls of Constantinople still stood proudly and defiantly towards their grand host that laid before it.

I am not sure what will happen once the city is conquered. I know that we have the intention of taking the city from the Byzantines however.

He then looks at Johannes.

The Venetians want their share of the spoils however. Some priests are rumored to have spoken the establishment of a Crusader State, similar to my Uncle's Kingdom, Almaric II of Jerusalem and Cyprus, to be made in Greece. Perhaps the city may be handed over to the Vatican as a prize to the Pope. Only time will tell, as well as the ambitions of those gathered.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Quote Originally Posted by Adamat View Post
    "Okay, not a big retinue then, but surely they are strong knights, and truly chivalrous like a true knight should be?" When he thought about his own men, he was fairly sure they would start raping the inhabitants of the city as soon as they came over the walls. If they came over the walls, he should add. "My own men are quite steady shots with their crossbows, if i might say so. We wanted to buy a few Pavises before we left, but sadly we saw a few pubs in the Venetian harbor and all our money was gone the day after."
    “On the whole I would say that my men are fairly chivalrous and pious, though of course some are much more pious then others and one or two whose piety I do question.” He laughed at the remark before continuing. “Let us hope that your men will soon be able to use their skills to slay a few of those Greek dogs. Hopefully this weather will get better and we will soon be able to use our steel to take this city and claim its wealth for our own."

The Stig's Avatar Protector Domesticus

The rain continued to pour down upon the Golden Horn. Simon had already spent over a year away from Naples, travelling with the fleet, first to Zara and then onto the Byzantine capital. The sack of Zara had been necessary, in hindsight, but everything the crusaders could've gained from the attack was instead given to Venice and her vast coffers. Simon did not trust the Venetians, for they were part of the crusade for the same reasons he was. Both wanted to find riches and power at the expense of the declining Byzantines. That made Simon nervous, but he couldn't quite make out why. In any case, his turn at watch was coming to an end. Simon sighed and drank out of his helmet, now full of water. He poured the rest out and stumbled off to find his bedroll.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ancient Aliens
    Yes. The Stig is Jesus.
    People's Republic of Cascadia

Jokern's Avatar Mowbray of Nottingham

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Malfoy View Post
    Bohemond turns his gaze back to where he came from. The mighty walls of Constantinople still stood proudly and defiantly towards their grand host that laid before it.

I am not sure what will happen once the city is conquered. I know that we have the intention of taking the city from the Byzantines however.

He then looks at Johannes.

The Venetians want their share of the spoils however. Some priests are rumored to have spoken the establishment of a Crusader State, similar to my Uncle's Kingdom, Almaric II of Jerusalem and Cyprus, to be made in Greece. Perhaps the city may be handed over to the Vatican as a prize to the Pope. Only time will tell, as well as the ambitions of those gathered.
    Johannes sighed and thought for a moment.

"The Venetians are only loyal to their own, sinful greed. They do not see the holy spirit guiding our holy crusade. Men like them cannot be trusted. They are like the so called "holy men" of Rome. Thinking their agenda is the only just one, that they are acting out God's Will. Lies, I tell you! Have they met God? Has he shared his eternal wisdom with them?"

Johannes took a deep breath and looked over the camp and the tens of thousands of men that had gathered.

"Ambitions drive all of us. The question is, whose ambitions should we serve? The Venetians', the Pope's? Or... our own?"

He turned back to Bohemund, now with a cheerful smile on his face.

"Monsiuer Bohemund, my friend here is looking for monsieur Simon de Provence, a cousin of his. Have you met him recently?"

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Bohemond listened to the clergyman's words. They spoke truth; whose ambition did their cause serve? Inevitably, Bohemond suspected either the Venetians or more likely, their own. Many nobles here dreamed of the ancient treasures and relics that laid within Constantinople; treasures that had been waiting for hundreds of years since the fall of the Roman Empire and the rise of its successor, the Byzantines in the East. His thoughts were interrupted when Johannes spoke up, gesturing to the other man beside him. Bohemond looks at Simon.

Your cousin spoke recently at a gathering between myself, some clergymen and Philip de Alencon. He knocked out a priest, who was rather against our cause and siege, before speaking up. I believe he went with Philip towards the various command tents just down the way I was going.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Adamat's Avatar Invertebrate

Quote Originally Posted by Honors Bastion View Post
    “On the whole I would say that my men are fairly chivalrous and pious, though of course some are much more pious then others and one or two whose piety I do question.” He laughed at the remark before continuing. “Let us hope that your men will soon be able to use their skills to slay a few of those Greek dogs. Hopefully this weather will get better and we will soon be able to use our steel to take this city and claim its wealth for our own."
    "Aye, my men thirst for blood," he replied. "Sure, we Venetians got a few coins from the sack of Zara, but it isn't enough by far to make up for the hardships we endured and will continue to endure if the city does not fall quickly. March, I say, carve ourselves a way through the fortifications, rain or no rain." He paused. "Besides," he resumed grimly, "the less of us remain, the more we will earn from sacking the city and taking its riches to fill our own coffers."
    #JusticeForCookie #JusticeForCal #JusticeForAkar #JusticeForAthelchan

Quote Originally Posted by Adamat View Post
    "Aye, my men thirst for blood," he replied. "Sure, we Venetians got a few coins from the sack of Zara, but it isn't enough by far to make up for the hardships we endured and will continue to endure if the city does not fall quickly. March, I say, carve ourselves a way through the fortifications, rain or no rain." He paused. "Besides," he resumed grimly, "the less of us remain, the more we will earn from sacking the city and taking its riches to fill our own coffers."
    “I hope your words become true Cristoforo. We still face a daunting task in taking Constantinople and the damned Greeks will not surrender this city without a long and bloody fight. I have already lost three of my men to the Greeks, two felled by Greek archers and another killed by a thrown rockrock hurled by one of the Greeks as we tried to scale the walls on the first attacks days ago.” said Simon. He turned his head to the city’s walls, still looking for a weakness. He turned his head back to the Venetian and said “What is your opinion Cristoforo on which wall that we should attack: the mighty Land Walls or the lesser Sea Walls that are not only harder to reach but also require calmer weather?”

A lone man rode in on a horse to the camp. He looked around at the men awaiting, seeing the city in the distance that would soon be enthralled in battle and death. One he got inside the large tent city that was the camp, he tied up his horse and walked up to a fire where some men were sitting. He sat for a few minutes, not speaking as he wasn't exactly sure what language the men spoke. For the moment, he just wanted to get warm.

Ganbarenippon's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Jokern View Post
    "Ah, I know of Simon de Provence" Johannes replied in French. "His tent is not far from here, let us walk there together."

He led the young knight through the camp with ease, the long time spent here having imprinted a map in his mind.

"What is your name, my child? I am Father Johannes, from Münich."
    "Roland de Provence, Father. At your service." He smiled. "I have never been to Munich father, though I have heard it is beautiful. Perhaps after me and my cousin are done here we shall visit."
    Quote Originally Posted by Bastard Feudalism View Post
    [OOC: Our characters are the same age ]

D'Alençon paused, surprised a little by the priest who confronted him.
    He then glanced back up at the gathering on the hill, and then back to his tent, nodding at it.
    "Perhaps a necessary one." He said solemnly in his native accent, continuing his path towards the tent, expecting the shrewd priest to follow.
    "I am Philippe of Alençon, Mareschal de Champagne," he said, nearing the tent's door. The canvas was striped with jaune and bleu, but the colors were somewhat faded and tattered by the mud and elements.
    Philip leaned into the tent flap before entering, looking around inside for his sister.
    "Indeed my son, indeed. Father Jacopo Orsini, at your service." He says gravely. "Tell me, what would you say to those who would call your actions blasphemous?"

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Ganbarenippon View Post
    "Indeed my son, indeed. Father Jacopo Orsini, at your service." He says gravely. "Tell me, what would you say to those who would call your actions blasphemous?"
    Philip found no sign of his sister in the tent, which was unsettling, but decided to use the vacancy while he could.

The Parisian lifted the flap of the tent for Orsini, offering entrance into his tent.
    "I knew an Orsini in Paris, by the name of Pietro of Licenza." He recalled casually.
    "You come from Latium?"

Once inside, he addressed the topic of blasphemy, taking a wooden chair. There were notably two beds in the tent, one behind a thick and ornate curtain.
    "Blasphemous?" He paused, and then he gestured gracefully.
    "I studied theology and law in Paris, Father. 'Blasphemy' is a word only used to suppress and silence."
    Philip spoke with an indifference, but also a subtle caution.

Orsini enters gratefully. "I do indeed, from just outside of Rome herself. Pietro is my Uncle's cousin. We are a large family my son." He listened to the mans views on blasphemy, smiling inside. 'I believe we might be able to work together.' "And what of those who would say the suppression and silence is to save man from their own baser nature. Mother Church guarding her flock as it were?"

He nodded at the clarification of relation. "He was thrown out of the university, as well as a larger group of Italians the Archbishop didn't find pleasing."

"I am told the Holy Father is rash and shallowly-willed.
    St. Peter can exile the Venetians and their city from the Church if he likes, but he won't turn down the opportunity of a united church.."
    he said with subtle insinuation.

He stood, standing over the parchment on the table now, looking over it.
    "Do not misunderstand me, Father; I have no illusions about where this Crusade is heading, but I have no place trying to spot it."
    Philip gave Father Orsini a wry glance then.
    "The die was cast long ago, back in Corfou, when we took up the cause of the Roman Prince."

Orsini smiles then, allowing his thoughts to show through. "The current Pope is, frankly,a fool. My Uncle was his predecessor and always said as much about him during their days together in The Curia. After my Uncle died many of our family decided to lay low. And so I am come here." He shrugs. "God, it seems, truly does work in mysterious ways. I believe you did the right thing in burning the fools writ. He thinks a piece of paper proclaiming his will is power. Gives him authority over matters temporal." He smiles."As I said, an idiot. I believe you are correct in that the way the Crusade has gone was decided in Corfou my son. And now we find ourselves here. In a land of ancient wealth, splendour and...opportunity."His eyes narrow. "A man who would defy that fool in Rome so openly is a brave man indeed, and such a man will need allies. Friends within the Church as well as without, a friend who can take care of him and in turn be taken care of."

Philip smiles a little, somewhat apprehensive.
    "You should have been born French, Father." Paris (and, to a lesser extent, France) was a nest of theological intrigue. Dominicans were infamously well-rooted in France.

He laughs. "Better. I was born Roman. We take such things in with our mother's milk!" Jacopo leans forward. "And so you know the reason I am here, the fool in the Vatican and the Bishopric and Cardinal's hat that was to be mine was given to another. I seek another prize now, something near as great." His eyes dart toward the direction of Constantinople, as though he could see through the walls of this tent, across the water, through the Theodosian walls and to the Hagia Sophia. "But that is for another time. Tell me, oh burner of writs, why did you Take The Cross?" He smiles sardonically at this last.

The Parisian, once one realized his education and breeding, was quite graceful.
    He turned his chair towards the small desk-table, and sat down to start his tale.

"My father was present at tournament in Ecry, held by Thibaut of Champagne," he began, a hidden bitterness in the back of his mouth,
    "But is too old to take the cross himself, and so swore his offspring to the cause in his stead;
    I was in Paris at the time, only a year left."
    He added, leaving Father Orsini to deduct.

"The University?" Jacopo queried. 'So you are not here willingly. That explains much.'

Alençon nodded.
    "I was made a Mareschal and sent as ambassador to the Serenisima, however," he explained, the title and position having made the crusade somewhat tolerable.
    "The Comte de Champagne is dead now, of course, but the title is privy to important meetings and gatherings." He looked to the parchments.
    "I've been recording them. All of them."

A lone crusader knight dressed in worn out old heraldry rides through the camp on a painted stallion, a sharp but well used sword hanging at his side. Taking off his old, battered helmet; a stern face is revealed, slightly bearded, with lines of age and grey hairs beginning to be more prominent. Dismounting from his horse in a swift motion, the knight handed the reins over to a young squire before quickly walking through the camp of vagrants and hangers on, looking for people who could at least speak French, or even a fellow Englishman.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf. View Post
    A lone crusader knight dressed in worn out old heraldry rides through the camp on a painted stallion, a sharp but well used sword hanging at his side. Taking off his old, battered helmet; a stern face is revealed, slightly bearded, with lines of age and grey hairs beginning to be more prominent. Dismounting from his horse in a swift motion, the knight handed the reins over to a young squire before quickly walking through the camp of vagrants and hangers on, looking for people who could at least speak French, or even a fellow Englishman.
    A man by a fire spoke
    "Englaishman......."

He stood and walked over
    "England indeed, no?"