Thread: Res Loricatus - The Armoury

Osceola's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Res Loricatus - The Armoury

This is where I'd like to propose my idea for a sensible and enriching mini mod, concentrating on the iconic weaponry of the era.

As we all know, the medieval period is when hand held weapons really evolved. For example the scimitar or shamshir, the katana, the saber, the rapier, the arming sword, the zweihander, the claighmorgh, and polearms like the halberd, the billhook and the infamous Ottoman arms. And of course weapons different or native to different cultures like the Morning Star of the Hapsburgs, the huge axes of the Danes, the Longbow of the English, the sabers and dao of the Mongols.

When we think medieval, we think weapons. This mod if it picks up, will aim to reskin and possibly remodel possibly shoddy CA weapons. RTW mods like EB, and various Greek mods did this with the Roman, German, Greek and Celtic swords and it came out beautifully and really brightened up battle fields.

Anyone willing to join me in this quest? I happen to be a bit of a weaponry nut, and will now provide examples of whats to be done.

Just some examples of how varied the weapons were among cultures of this time period, concentrating on swords..

Norman sword.

Irish kern sword.

Irish Gallowglass sword. This is historical, the weapon is shown in a woodcut by Durer.

Scottish claighmorgh or claymore.

15th Century English longsword.

15th Century English Arming Sword.

A paramenion or Byzantine saber.

13th century Russian saber.

16th Century Conqistador sword.

Zweihander.

Islamic sword.

Islamic shamshir, saif or scimitar, of the 17th century, but still same basic design as earlier.

Modern repro of the sword carried by Mehmed II, Conqueror of Constantinople. It's a very long sword.

Mongol saber, though a bit heavily ornamented, it is a modern repro afterall. The Mongols will be really fun to do, since they probably used alot of imported Chinese swords, considering that they did own China at that point lol.

These are just a few examples..

What does everyone think?

Turkeys!'s Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Res Loricatus - The Armoury

ooo love the second to last one i think it would look good on an islamic general
    Last edited by Turkeys!; September 07, 2006 at 05:20 AM.
    Like Neverwinter Nights? Wondering where to go now that the old NWN Vault is gone? Come visit the new one at http://neverwintervault.org/!

Sorry, I'm not letting this thread die. If I cared enough to make a nice big post, the least anyone could do is act like it exist.

Nice idea, but the first example looks unauthentic as the real Norman Sword had a groove in the middle.

Yeah thats better. But dont worry, I wouldnt have forgotten the fuller in the final version. I was concentrating more on the form of the sword.

I'm not letting this die by the way.

I liked better the islamic and mongol swords, there were many kinds of islamick swords, wat is this for anyway
    "The chickens don't seem to mind"

Turkeys!'s Avatar Praepositus

well its in the mtw2 thread so i guess its a preposal for a mod for mtw2
    Like Neverwinter Nights? Wondering where to go now that the old NWN Vault is gone? Come visit the new one at http://neverwintervault.org/!

Nice idea, I shall keep an eye on this mod...

as shall I

[i][b]Working for the downfall of the Dark Tosser(s) for 5 years!
    Contact me to find out about CustomPCs for the UK!
    Like My Post? - Use the Button!
    MedievalTW - Feat. The TW Wiki
    Would you like your mod hosted for free? PM Me!

ENSAIS's Avatar Decanus

Sword of Cao Cao,
    this will extend to halbeards, pikes, billhooks, etc, I assume?

I definitely look foward to seeing this.

ENSAIS

the groove you call is a fuller and the other norman sword has a rizer, the rizer was made to make the sword stronger the fuller was made to make the sword lighter and more flexible, both existed, later in the 15th century they used mostly both at the top the rizer and from the hilt the fuller, so that the tip of the sword wouldn't break as fast and that the sword in it's whole was flexible enough and of course the balance etc.

Yes, it will apply to all weapons.
    Team Member <3