• West Bromwich Albion

1 1.37%
  • West Ham United

3 4.11%
Page 1 of 65 12345678910112651 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013/14 English Premier League: General Discussion

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    Administrator Emeritus

Well it is nearly time for the big kick off, will it be Manchester with either the blue half or red half, will Chelsea be invigorated under the second coming of Mourinho, will Arsenal ever show any consistency, perhaps Spurs as a dark horse.

New Season, New Poll, New Thread...

OK, let's get this ball rolling, any bold predictions for top 4 and bottom 3?

Man Utd
    Chelsea
    Arsenal
    Citeh
    Spurs
    Hull
    Cardiff

Ok I don;t really think Spurs will go down but I would laugh if they did and Arsenal making top 4 much less 3rd is unlikely, I think the second coming of Mourinho will boost Chelsea and Citeh are too much a group of stars that Pellegrini will need to mould to what he wants (if he is given time).

Realistically, I think Southampton or Stoke will join Hull and Cardiff in going down.
    Last edited by Ybbon; July 26, 2013 at 05:14 AM. Reason: noob mistake!

SonofaBooyah's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: 2013/14 English Premier League: General Discussion

I have a feeling Chelsea will run away with the league this year, whilst the other Champions league spots will be an almighty scrap between United, city, Arsenal and Spurs (provided Bale stays of course).
    As for relegation, I reckon Hull, Stoke and Cardiff.

♔hammeredalways♔'s Avatar Darthmod Moderator

Ideally Spurs to down.....

Hull & Palace nailed on to go down ( watch that bite me in the .....) joining them Spuds (we can hope) Stoke,Cardiff & if they don't start well the Barcodes

Sunderland could go either way, as much as i love Di canio he is bonkers, so could be a rollercoaster

Top 4 no change, Le Arse 4th, the other 3 reversed on last year

For the mighty Hammers, same again and a cup run as we ready ourselves to move in the new stadium
    Knight of the binge-drinking-Kebab-shop-vomiting-taxi rank-punch-up? 32nd degree

=Bright='s Avatar Ordinarius

Either ManCity or Chelsea for the title, United for 3rd place. Tottenham finishing above Arsenal for once and Liverpool finishing above Everton... for once.

1. Chelsea
    2. Man City
    3. Man Utd
    4. Liverpool (I can hope)
    5. Spurs
    6. Arsenal

That said, I can see 3rd-6th being very tight due to the similar quality of the squads, while you also throw new managers at Chelsea, City and Utd into the mix. Should be a very interesting and probably unpredictable season ahead, I certainly can't wait
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10 (its true )
    My specs:
    CPU - Intel i5 4670k @3.8 GHz | GPU - MSI GEFORCE GTX 770 LIGHTNING 2GB GDDR5 | RAM - 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ | MOBO - Z87 | HDD - 1TB | SSD - SAMSUNG 840 PRO SERIES 256GB SOLID STATE HARD DRIVE 2.5" | PSU - 750W | CASE - COOLERMASTER ENFORCER | MONITOR - 24" IIYAMA

Bold pick:

City
    Chelsea
    Arsenal
    Spurs
    Scrap between United and Liverpool for 5th

-

Three promoted teams, don't care which order. I just think that other teams have established themselves and have strengthened, and unless we see a Newcastle/Sunderland implosion as a result of Di Canio or Kinnear, then I can't see anything else happening. It would be amusing if Hughes fails though, but he will at least be more flexible than Pulis.

I realise that this is somewhat radical. At present, I think City have the best attacking line up, at least when purely comparing their strikers to Chelsea. Behind the strikers I think Silva is still the best player, although overall Chelsea's three are stronger. At lot comes down to the managers really, and of course Jose has a head start at Chelsea. I'm going to assume neither are going to make any more huge signings, though I would want to see Lukaku playing even if they get Rooney! Ba and Torres just aren't consistent enough. Aguero and Negredo are proven, and Pelligrini still has other options.

About the rest, it is somewhat skewed. I am assuming that Arsenal will sign someone who is better than Giroud, who while I do rate quite highly, is not close to the best in the league. I am also assuming Spurs keep Bale and sign a striker (presumably Saldado). This is perhaps better suited to the transfer thread, but Arsenal must really want Suarez, given that they could presumably get Saldado for the asking price easily, given they have champions league football, while Spurs and Liverpool (who also want him now) do not.

About United. This is admittedly biased, but I think they are more reliant on Van Persie than Arsenal were. I just do not think that Welbeck and Hernadez are that good. More importantly, Young has always been terrible, Nani has been terrible for two years, and Valencia has also decided he is terrible. I think Moyes has to use Kagawa behind Van Persie to get the best results, but this sidelines the other strikers, and they still have no wingers/other good creative players. I realise that while not glamorous, Carrick was very important last year. However, he isn't far forward enough to be a threat like players such as Silva, Cazorla or Hazard.

King Gambrinus's Avatar Primicerius

Will have a go at some predictions, but this is like yours mainly heart over head...

1. Chelsea (most complete squad and hopefully some stability under The Special One)
    2. Man Utd (expect them to struggle at first but finish strongly)
    3. Arsenal (IF we sign the players we continue to be strongly linked with. If Yaya ing Sanogo is our only signing come August then we're ed as in 5th placed ed)
    4. Man City (I expect a disappointing transitional season from them. Navas and Negredo are not going to win the league. Jovetic is better than Milner and Nasri but I'm really surprised City haven't spent on a really big player...who knows...).
    5. Tottenham (They seem to enjoy 5th place)
    6. Everton
    7. Fulham (my surprise package; they've done some good business early and if the new owner frees up some funds for another tough midfielder then they'll be fearsome
    8. Liverpool (assuming Suarez is gone; expect Rodgers to go by the end, as I think Henry is losing patience with him).
    9. Norwich (their weakness last season was scoring goals, Van Wolfswinkel and Hooper will fix that)
    10. Sunderland (dark horses, but look impressive)
    11. Southhampton
    12. Swansea (Europa League hangover for sure)
    13. West Brom
    14. West Ham
    15.Aston Villa (with Benteke)
    16. Hull City (only championship club with top class signings.
    17. Crystal Palace (Only Holloways magic + the fact that the three clubs below are in a mess will save them)
    18. Cardiff (unless they sign even half-decent players, they might as well focus on trying to do the double over Swansea)
    19. Stoke (in self-destruct mode; appointing Mark Hughes? oh dear...).
    20. Newcastle. Joe Kinnear.

FA Cup : PLEASE let it be us! (Arsenal)
    League Cup : Everton (Martinez will want Europa League)

Championship promoted : Wigan, QPR, Notts Forest.

Champions League : Bayern. They looked comfortable against Barca ffs....
    Last edited by King Gambrinus; July 26, 2013 at 10:32 AM.
    Fear not, crusader, Prester John will save you from the wrath of the Devil.

LuckyLewis's Avatar Loutre
    Content Emeritus

That's some comprehensive predictions you've got going there, Armchair Revolutionary. We'll be interesting to see how well you predicted the league positions come end of the season.
    Muh signature is so out of date all muh pictures died.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Top four are difficult to split.

Manure; Can't underestimate the loss of Fergie and with no big signings looking likely I think this might be the start of their fall from grace. I don't see them dropping below the top four but being dragged much more into the mix..

Citeh; So many quality players, but something is always missing. There's no 'heart on sleeve/in the blood' type players that can get you through those rainy midweek games in the back end of nowhere. They'll still be there but I don't see them winning it.

Chelski; do look the strongest squad, but they looked as strong last season and folded. The loss of Drogba hit them hard and he hasn't been replaced (though Lukaku does look the part).. Expect a strong campaign from them but likely to implode..

Le Arse; Transfer shenanigans aside I think we'll be stronger this season. Oli/Wally/Pod/Cazorla can be a formidable strike force and with Wilshire finally looking fit I'm hoping going forward we'll be feared again. For all the creative potential it's the defensive third that looks shaky. Kos/Monreal/TV5 are all injured and expected to miss the first 5-7 games at least. Looks like Sagna is going to be covering and he's next to useless in the middle. Another season asking Arteta/Ramsey to hold the midfield isn't going to make us champions.

All in all a lot closer this year...

I think many of your are giving Chelsea way too much credit just for having Mourinho back. Sure the transfer window is not closed and a lot could happen still but barring Chelsea bring in Rooney and bringing back Drogba as player-coach I just don't see them winning the league next season. I do think Mourinho is a bit overrated as a coach (what did he win with Real's amazing squad again? Not the CL) and I just don't see Chelsea's squad as being all that superior to teams like United and Arsenal (yes Im a little biased with Arsenal).

On paper (or in video games) Man City clearly has the strongest squad IMO. Yes, it will be interesting to see if Pellegrini can manage this star studded team and get the most out of them but they did win the league the year before last with a weaker roster of players.

Chelsea seems to desperately need Rooney to really be a complete team. Without Rooney they are relying on the inconsistent Torres and youngster Lukakau
    "Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs," I said. "We have a protractor."

Under Patronage of: Captain Blackadder

To be fair, to win the Uefa Cup and then the Champions league with Porto, and also with Inter, most of whose players immediately faded into obscurity, is a very good achievement. Real have had some very good domestic success, but unlike Barca, couldn't win the champions league. When they were perhaps at their best, Bayern beat them, which I think says just as much about Bayern (and Dortmund) getting to their best. Even though there are faults, especially with the management of some players last season, there are very few managers recently who compare.

King Gambrinus's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by chilon View Post
    I think many of your are giving Chelsea way too much credit just for having Mourinho back. Sure the transfer window is not closed and a lot could happen still but barring Chelsea bring in Rooney and bringing back Drogba as player-coach I just don't see them winning the league next season. I do think Mourinho is a bit overrated as a coach (what did he win with Real's amazing squad again? Not the CL) and I just don't see Chelsea's squad as being all that superior to teams like United and Arsenal (yes Im a little biased with Arsenal).

On paper (or in video games) Man City clearly has the strongest squad IMO. Yes, it will be interesting to see if Pellegrini can manage this star studded team and get the most out of them but they did win the league the year before last with a weaker roster of players.

Chelsea seems to desperately need Rooney to really be a complete team. Without Rooney they are relying on the inconsistent Torres and youngster Lukakau
    Chelsea's main problem in terms of overall quality will be the back 4, who are suspect against the big teams. John Terry is only good at lifting trophies, David Luiz is erratic, and Cahill gets crocked a lot. Ivanovic is their best CB and he plays RB as Azpilicueta seems only cut out for Europa League. Cashley will do well for another season then piss of to Paris. But Mourinho is precisely the man who can make them disciplined and organised, and he'll make Stamfrod Bridge a fortress again. And I think as a club legend he's already earned respect from the dressing room, whereas at Real he wasn't the "main man" and players like Casillas wanted to put in their point of view from time to time.

When you look at their attacking players, I'd take them any day over Citeh's. Lukaku scored more goals that most season and West Brom took him off the bench a lot. Oscar and Hazard have got used to the PL and Mata was astonishing last season. Then you've got players like Demba Ba, Andre Schurlle and Kevin De Bruyne who will be on the bench. Scary.
    Last edited by King Gambrinus; July 26, 2013 at 03:39 PM.
    Fear not, crusader, Prester John will save you from the wrath of the Devil.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus View Post
    To be fair, to win the Uefa Cup and then the Champions league with Porto, and also with Inter, most of whose players immediately faded into obscurity, is a very good achievement. Real have had some very good domestic success, but unlike Barca, couldn't win the champions league. When they were perhaps at their best, Bayern beat them, which I think says just as much about Bayern (and Dortmund) getting to their best. Even though there are faults, especially with the management of some players last season, there are very few managers recently who compare.
    These are all good points but I would say that Inter in 2010 had a lot of players at the absolute peak of their playing career. Inter's back four that year was arguably the best in any league with Maicon, Chivu, Lucio and Samuel all at the peak of their career with Materaazi on their bench albeit he was fading by then. Sneijder was in his prime and having Milito and Eto'o in their primes didn't hurt either. I think in 2010 that Inter side was extremely strong. Sure, give Mourinho credit for getting the most out of them but I think Inter could have won the CL that year with other coaches as well. Not saying Mourinho isn't a good coach because he is clearly in the top tier but I'm just not convinced he is suddenly going to make Chelsea run away with the league ya know?

Quote Originally Posted by Armchair Revolutionary View Post
    Chelsea's main problem in terms of overall quality will be the back 4, who are suspect against the big teams. John Terry is only good at lifting trophies, David Luiz is erratic, and Cahill gets crocked a lot. Ivanovic is their best CB and he plays RB as Azpilicueta seems only cut out for Europa League. Cashley will do well for another season then piss of to Paris. But Mourinho is precisely the man who can make them disciplined and organised, and he'll make Stamfrod Bridge a fortress again. And I think as a club legend he's already earned respect from the dressing room, whereas at Real he wasn't the "main man" and players like Casillas wanted to put in their point of view from time to time.

When you look at their attacking players, I'd take them any day over Citeh's. Lukaku scored more goals that most season and West Brom took him off the bench a lot. Oscar and Hazard have got used to the PL and Mata was astonishing last season. Then you've got players like Demba Ba, Andre Schurlle and Kevin De Bruyne who will be on the bench. Scary.
    I agree that Chelsea's attacking mids are tops in the PL at the moment. But I wonder if Lukaku can really step in and be a 20+ goal scorer for Chelsea as their focal point and you are right that their back four is a bit suspect against top teams. I think Chelsea is really good, I just don't see them winning the league next year, again maybe my bias is affecting my predictions here a little.
    Last edited by chilon; July 26, 2013 at 05:06 PM.
    "Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs," I said. "We have a protractor."

Quote Originally Posted by Armchair Revolutionary View Post
    John Terry is only good at lifting trophies
    he obviously isn't close to being the fastest or cleanest defender and is past his prime, but i believe when Terry is on the field he provides a sort of presence to the rest of the players that can be the difference between winning and losing. same goes to Lampard. wonder who's going to take up that role when they are gone.
    Last edited by snuggans; July 27, 2013 at 03:35 PM.

Treva ★'s Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus View Post
    Yes, but in Porto, Inter (!) and Madrid (!!) he always had the referees on his side. Never mind what happened with Chelski.

Besides that, how long can this living God Mourinho survive with Roman still hating him?
    The tentacled horror from beyond my stars spoke, and von Neumann help me, in my madness, I understood its words.
    СИНДИКАТ!
    Dè a tha Montrose Mór ag ràdh?
    Heavy Metal will never die. - Sir Christopher Frank Carrandini Lee.

1 - Chelsea
    2 - Man City
    3 - Man U
    4 - Spurs
    5 - Arsenal
    ----------
    (Relegation - any order)
    West Ham
    Crystal Palace
    Stoke

Quote Originally Posted by * Matolo Swazulu * View Post
    1 - Chelsea
    2 - Man City
    3 - Man U
    4 - Spurs
    5 - Arsenal
    ----------
    (Relegation - any order)
    West Ham
    Crystal Palace
    Stoke

If Spurs lose Bale which is looking very likely at this point, they are looking at more like 6-7th in league considering how many times Gareth bailed them out.

Treva ★'s Avatar Primicerius

The Hammers to be relegated? There's no Wigan to push them down in the last two fixtures this time.
    The tentacled horror from beyond my stars spoke, and von Neumann help me, in my madness, I understood its words.
    СИНДИКАТ!
    Dè a tha Montrose Mór ag ràdh?
    Heavy Metal will never die. - Sir Christopher Frank Carrandini Lee.

♔hammeredalways♔'s Avatar Darthmod Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by * Matolo Swazulu * View Post
    1 - Chelsea
    2 - Man City
    3 - Man U
    4 - Spurs
    5 - Arsenal
    ----------
    (Relegation - any order)
    West Ham
    Crystal Palace
    Stoke
    I'd stay off the sauce
    Knight of the binge-drinking-Kebab-shop-vomiting-taxi rank-punch-up? 32nd degree

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    Administrator Emeritus

Yeah, not sure I see either Cardiff or Hull being better than West Ham - in fact I could easily see all 3 promoted clubs going back down.

[edit] I was going to add a prediction for the first week of the season, but that is the 17th and Arsenal could buy someone by then, Bale will be talking Spanish, Rooney may be in blue, and who knows so maybe closer to the time...
    Last edited by Ybbon; July 30, 2013 at 04:34 AM. Reason: Update

Page 1 of 65 12345678910112651 ... LastLast