Page 9 of 62 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718193459 ... LastLast

Thread: The OOC Thread

Default Re: The OOC Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Malfoy View Post
    We just appointed another moderator, our good friend, Adamat, to help out. So things should be picking back up.
    Quote Originally Posted by wyrda78 View Post
    Well maybe if there was a thread instructing people on how to mod there would be more modders.

Ganbarenippon's Avatar Protector Domesticus

BTW whoever dropped the rep on me for Roland's RP at the walls, thank you! Next time leave your name so I know who to thank!

Adamat's Avatar Invertebrate

I'm trying to make sense of the rules and rolls as we speak, I think I'll understand it all in a few hours
    #JusticeForCookie #JusticeForCal #JusticeForAkar #JusticeForAthelchan

Ganbarenippon's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Good luck mate!

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

Adamat, I'm doing the battle stuff now. Don't bother.

I'm very amused

Hross seems to think the Varangians are like this
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

When in reality at this date, they aren't vikings anymore.
    They're just like any other nationality of western Europe.
    Some have axes, some have swords. They dress like mercenaries in the mediterranean, lots look Sicilu-Norman.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Dirty Chai; August 04, 2013 at 06:16 PM.

well, 5 matches pretty well
    Well maybe if there was a thread instructing people on how to mod there would be more modders.

"By the late 13th century Varangians were mostly ethnically assimilated by Byzantine Greeks.."
    1204 is much closer to that than it is to 1066.
    They aren't Old English-speaking shieldwall warriors. They aren't those badasses you find in Bernard Cornwell books.
    They're mercenary knights from Scandinavia, England, and likely Sicily, with many Greeks or Greek-born now in their ranks.
    They aren't going to identify with 'Athelstan' more than any other character attacking the city.

That said, they definitely will surrender eventually. They aren't stupid. They want life and employment. Or they'll just leave.

I just have a stick up my ass about this accuracy stuff, especially an anachronism like an Old English-speaking Saxon nationalist in 1204.
    I wouldn't care about the anachronism if it weren't for the fact that Hross endlessly uses it to insult all the other characters in the camp and tries to use it as an advantage over other characters.
    Last edited by Dirty Chai; August 04, 2013 at 07:17 PM.

Jokern's Avatar Mowbray of Nottingham

I'm thinking it would be a nice addition if the Varangian Guardsmen that surrender are reemployed to be the guards of the Latin Emperor. It could work, seeing how they are mercs (that's the impression I get from your description, BF).

Yeah, that's very possible.
    I mean, if they're convinced the Latin Emperor is the new Emperor, and that Emperor will give him the same treatment if not better, it's highly possible.

I'm really excited to see how the next rolls for the battles play out. If the rolls favor the Byzantines and go against the Crusaders, it is going to be interesting to see if we can take the city. The attacks on the Lycus River section and the Blachernae District seem to favor the Byzantines by a slight margin and the Byzantines are going to get reinforcements which may push the Crusaders back. The Venetians suffered fairly heavy losses in their attack so they may not be able to do much to help the other Crusaders. Also, aren't they also in a looting mentality right now? Only the surprise attack on the other two harbors in the Golden Horn seem to be favorable to the Crusaders an I'm not sure if that force has enough strength to turn the momentum towards a Crusader victory.

The Stig's Avatar Protector Domesticus

If we don't take Constantinople, I'm going to laugh really hard and sail for the Orient
    Quote Originally Posted by Ancient Aliens
    Yes. The Stig is Jesus.
    People's Republic of Cascadia

I just posted a long rp, essentially to fit Ricco in with the rolls and Rp that has taken place. I will submit orders as soon as LM says where he wants me. I wish i had been around to interactively post while you guys were, but I had to work ALL day

Dunno. If you guys don't take Constantinople, you're all too bloodied to take anything else.
    You could retreat to Thessalonica, which was recently controlled (if not still) by pro-crusaders.

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus Almighty View Post
    I just posted a long rp, essentially to fit Ricco in with the rolls and Rp that has taken place. I will submit orders as soon as LM says where he wants me. I wish i had been around to interactively post while you guys were, but I had to work ALL day
    You at Lycus right? What are your troops number?
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Nesimî's Avatar Protector Domesticus

My Sultan,

It has finally happened. The infidels have turned on one another, killing each other for control of Constantine's city. This is a harbinger of the end times, we must prepare for the arrival of al-Mahdi, and the unification of the world under the black flag.

Your Loyal Servant,
    Feriduddin ibn Ali
    shum

I have a plan (again), the main remainder of the Greek army is in on the 7th hill right now. The venetians are doing pretty good and the Constantinian wall should be pretty much secure, yet intact. How about a feign attack on the fifth military gate, while our main force goes through the gate of Charisius and just marches for the constantinian wall, lock the Byzantines out of their own city center

Jokern's Avatar Mowbray of Nottingham

After going through the numbers and calculating for a bit, I have the current strengths of each army and with troop placement:

The Siege of Constantinople, April 13, 1204 Lycus and 7th Hill:

Byzantines: 7,291

Crusaders: 9,302

Blachernae:

Byzantines: 1,282
    (887 + 395 reinforcements)

Crusaders: 3,031

Galata, Imperial District and Southern Harbors:

Byzantines: 970

Crusaders: 6,097
    (Crusaders: 2,300; Venetians: 3,797)

Total Numbers:

Byzantines: 9,543
    (estimated numbers of the Varangian Guard: 1,500)

Crusaders + Venetians: 18,430

Personally, I think we're doing quite good. Blachernae will soon fall in our hands, the Greeks in the Imperial District are outnumbered 6:1 and even if the force at Lycus lose, the estimated Greek casualties would be so great that they would be defeated by the other Crusader groups. This only counts numbers an not more specific positions of troops and army compositions.

We still have the overall advantage in the battle but we can’t afford to lose too many men in the battle here either. We will need them for our later attacks on Byzantine territory and if we lose too many men, those attacks are going to be a lot more difficult.