Thread: Fixing the user interface switcher for Steam

Default Fixing the user interface switcher for Steam

Quote Originally Posted by UndyingNephalim View Post
    I get the feeling the UI switcher does not work with the Steam version of the game because of how different the file paths are. I really do hope Azog FTW magically returns from the void, I've been unable to decipher anything in his automated switcher in the year since I opened it up.
    I mentioned this in a few other threads, but I'm not sure that anyone noticed:

I was a Comp. Sci. major in college, and I'm pretty sure I can adjust AUI.bat (the thing that switches out the UI and then launches Total War) to work with Steam. I've opened it up and I understand how it works. However, since I have the disk version instead of the Steam version, I need the help of someone with the Steam version in order to do this.

I need to know in what folder the Steam version gets installed, whether the directories are set up the same, and where the desktop shortcut attempts to run AUI.bat (depending on the answers to the first two, the UI switcher may work fine with Steam, the problem may just be the desktop shortcut).

Emrys's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Fixing the user interface switcher for Steam

I myself have the disk version but I might be able to ask someone who runs the Steam version.

I'll make another post here if I get an answe...

Ok, thanks.

Emrys's Avatar Primicerius

It turns out that the game directory is found in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common.

Also, it turned out to be a permissions thing. All you have to do is edit the permissions of the mod folder to allow the user to modify files. After that it works perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Emrys View Post
    It turns out that the game directory is found in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common.

Also, it turned out to be a permissions thing. All you have to do is edit the permissions of the mod folder to allow the user to modify files. After that it works perfect.

That doesn't seem to be working for me even though I have successfully edited the permissions.

You should check where the desktop shortcut is pointing. Right click on the Hyrule Total War icon and select properties, then check to make sure that the "Target" and "Start in" match where you have the mod installed.

Quote Originally Posted by D_E View Post
    You should check where the desktop shortcut is pointing. Right click on the Hyrule Total War icon and select properties, then check to make sure that the "Target" and "Start in" match where you have the mod installed.
    Didn't seem to help.

What happens when you try to use the desktop icon? Does the interface switcher run, does the game start, do you get an error message, etc?

interface switcher runs, it says it's successful, but there's no change in game.

Does the manual technique Aquos4 describes in this thread work for you?

You may also try to get a better handle on what specifically the problem is by manually following the interface switcher's procedure using the Command prompt, and recording any errors. In my second post in that thread, I outline how to do that if the mod is installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Sega\Medieval II Total War\mods\Hyrule\. Since you are using steam the mod is installed in a different location, of course.

If you tell me where the mod is installed for you, I can tell you what you'd specifically need to type.

Well, it seems to be working on the campaign map, however, there is no interface on the battle map.

I not very computer savy, so could someone please tell me what the user interface does? You all been talking about it and I kinda curious as to what it does

Quote Originally Posted by BlackamusJones View Post
    Well, it seems to be working on the campaign map, however, there is no interface on the battle map.
    As far as I know, the UI switcher only switches out the campaign's UI. The battle map UI always stays the same. If you meant that there is no interface at all on the battle maps, my guess is you accidentally turned on the minimal interface.

Quote Originally Posted by TatlTael
    I not very computer savy, so could someone please tell me what the user interface does? You all been talking about it and I kinda curious as to what it does
    The user interface switcher (called AUI.bat) is what runs when you double click on the Hyrule Total War icon. A black dialog box should pop up and ask you what faction you are going to play as. The switcher then changes some of the game's files so that the menus etc in the Freeform Campaign are decorated according to the faction you are playing as, for example with Kokiri emeralds and pictures of Saria if you said you were playing as Kokiri.

In general terms, a user interface is anything the user (that's you) uses to interact with a program. So in a game, the user interface is all the menus and controls and stuff that let the player actually play the game.