Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This is a Great Mod

Default FANTASTIC!

this truly has the potential to kick off roma surrectum 2 and eb from the top to be the new king of the "rome era mod" hill, and in some ways be better then rome 2, for some people. Beautiful project guys. i really hope a patch gets put out soon to knock out some of the bad bugs, and soon after some big time internet awards or something like that. all praise!!!

Default Re: FANTASTIC!

I'd say considering the superiority of MTW2's AI, it trumps them in at least how the AI behaves in general. RTW only let you do so much. I'm really thankful for htis, as I always wanted the best features of MTW2 in RTW, and now I have it and more!

Quote Originally Posted by josh187 View Post
    this truly has the potential to kick off roma surrectum 2 and eb from the top to be the new king of the "rome era mod" hill,
    I don't know about all that, maybe if the add a whole lot more crucial units and give a huge number of units secondary weapons, It may make it into the top 5.

edit: ok you said "potentially", but yes this mod is incredible and with it being its first release it can only get better.
    Last edited by the man, the myth, the legend; July 22, 2013 at 04:59 PM.
    “The hardest thing in the world is to assume the mood of a warrior. It is of no use to be sad and complain and feel justified in doing so, believing that someone is always doing something to us. Nobody is doing anything to anybody, much less to a warrior.” ― Don Juan
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -- Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, USMC

Kirila the Kitten's Avatar Primicerius

It's AWESOME!
    THE MUSIC IS AWESOME! -For me it is the thing that practically impressed me the most, I found myself shaking my head on Celtic music
    THE UNITS ARE AWESOME-NOT FANTASTIC - NOT TOO HISTORICAL!
    ACTUAL GAME MECHANICS- Romans will lose men if charged in the back- not happening pretty often in other mods- You can feel the turn out of the battle and the numbers decrease realistically!
    POTENTIAL- THE TORRENT WORKS AT A SURPRISINGLY GOOD SPEED! It's in his early days yet but will sure gain 1000 downloads soon!
    GAMEPLAY- Not too hard and not too easy- still recommandable to use squalor decreasing mods.
    SORRY FOR LOTS OF CAPS LOCK BUT IT IS AWESOME!

When Rome came out I thought nothing can top it. Then it was EB. Later RS 2 was my favourite mod. And now there once again this feeling. DBM outpaced everything else by far. The creator of DBM did really a wonderful job.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirila the Brave Kitten View Post
    It's AWESOME!
    THE MUSIC IS AWESOME! -For me it is the thing that practically impressed me the most, I found myself shaking my head on Celtic music
    The main music from Conan the Destroyer playing DBM just rocks!

Default This is a Great Mod

This is one of the better M II mods out there. There is a good variety of interesting units, the foreign militia system is unique and original, and population scales are different, but not in an unrealistic or dislikeable way.

There are a few bugs, but they're pretty minor for a version 1.0.

Rome needed an improved, but classic update.
    "It is better to be feared than loved." -Machiavelli

Kirila the Kitten's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: This is a Great Mod

And you used a thread to say these?
    Someone should move this somewhere else...
    But I am sure the developers appreciate your words!

Default Just What I Needed To Tide Me Over Till Rome 2

Thank you for doing such a great job with this mod. It is simple and satisfying and I have loved my campaigns as the Sweboz and as Carthage. Both have had their challenges an the team has done a stellar job of balancing units and making battles fun I have been honing my skills until I can play R2TW. Very creative and well thought out mod. Congratulations I found this by accident and I am so glad I did. It has its quirks but overall I am quite impressed

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: Just What I Needed To Tide Me Over Till Rome 2

I agree, and I believe this mod will be a played well after Rome 2 has been released for reasons that this mod can be modded to your own tastes and further sub mods will no doubt be added as time goes on this is the only ancient era mod available (apart from my own private project that will unfortunately never be released on TWC)

Not sure that CA will give us modding tools for Rome 2 and without these the playability of Rome 2 may be diminished by many players.

Jakeford's Avatar Ducenarius

I don't get why the CA is making there new games so unmodible? do they not like mods or something? Do they not find full conversions to be awesome?

Maybe they are unable to make those games moddable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakeford View Post
    I don't get why the CA is making there new games so unmodible? do they not like mods or something? Do they not find full conversions to be awesome?
    Their engine is getting too complex and needing expensive custom software, etc. I suppose it's possible there is a greedy element to it as well, but I suspect moreso it just happened to work out that way because of the complexities of the Warscape engine.

nah,its all about sales strategy,because the more modabble a total war game is,it means the few people will buy their DLC's,and also if there are great mods better than their DLC's then people will get angry and steamroll the developers so its not a win-win situation for them.

Quote Originally Posted by hameem123 View Post
    nah,its all about sales strategy,because the more modabble a total war game is,it means the few people will buy their DLC's,and also if there are great mods better than their DLC's then people will get angry and steamroll the developers so its not a win-win situation for them.
    Apparently, this is sort of a myth. And it makes sense when you think about it. Did mods hurt sales for barbarian invasion or kingdoms? I'd say it was the other way around. I know I've bought expansions and dlcs before because a really good mod required it. I'd say at best, its an antiquated idea. Modding is getting bigger these days, developers seem to be embracing it because of things like steam workshop. They can use the modding community to help fight piracy (you can't subscribe to a mod if you don't own the game through steam). I am kind of surprised that Sega and CA haven't jumped on the bandwagon yet, since they distribute through steam and have a massive community behind them. But I wouldn't be surprised if they changed their tune at any point.

As for Rome II, I dunno. I think this is what I'll be playing for years to come. There's something about the newer TW games, they just feel over-engineered. Maybe I'm weird, but I just really like the gameplay formula in Rome and Med2, it's a little simple at times but its intuitive to me. When I tried to play Empire and Shogun II I just never got the hang of it, they feel like a completely different game. Strategy games are kind of different than other games in this sense. Innovation and new features aren't always the answer, if you have a good gameplay formula, don't screw it up just because you're making a new game. I know I was definitely more excited when I first saw this mod than when I saw the first trailer for Rome II, and I never really even thought about the two in relation to each other until just now.

GeorgiBG's Avatar Miles

Thumbs up! I was going to say the same thing!

Just 2 questions: Why we must have this black fog and why the mod is using the roman calendar (it was something like that)? It will be better if the normal BC - AD system were used.

Holger Danske's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by cire992 View Post
    I am kind of surprised that Sega and CA haven't jumped on the bandwagon yet, since they distribute through steam and have a massive community behind them.
    I'm not really. Companies like SEGA are anti-consumer and will whatever they can to earn a little extra of their products. I can't blame, as that's how the big cooperate world runs. Milk everything dry! However, their marketing is so ridiculously shortsighted! I am really surprised that it has not occurred to them just how effective mods are at keeping sales alive on titles literally decades old. They even have their own damn franchise to prove that, and let’s not even forget just how DayZ boosted Arma 2 sales by well over 500%, in less than a year.
    I don’t buy the Warscape excuse for not making Rome II a mod-friendly game. They’re doing it for two simple reasons. 1) DLCs, 2) it’s far less expensive to modify (oh the irony) their own engine than to literally build an entirely new one. One that is mod-friendly.
    SEGA are cooperate douchebags and CA is a bunch of sellouts!
    I just hope someone else see the potential and makes a decent game to compete. Maybe that would change the course of the TW-franchise?

sickpeople's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Jakeford View Post
    Mods - No DLC sales.
    While I support expansion packs such as FoTS and Kingdoms, I absolutely dislike faction DLCs. It's one of the main reasons why I'm not getting Rome 2 on release untill I can get a Gold Edition like I did with Shogun 2.
    It's a shame of what gaming has become.

Idiots, Idiots never change.

Liu Zheng's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by cire992 View Post
    Apparently, this is sort of a myth. And it makes sense when you think about it. Did mods hurt sales for barbarian invasion or kingdoms? I'd say it was the other way around. I know I've bought expansions and dlcs before because a really good mod required it. I'd say at best, its an antiquated idea. Modding is getting bigger these days, developers seem to be embracing it because of things like steam workshop. They can use the modding community to help fight piracy (you can't subscribe to a mod if you don't own the game through steam). I am kind of surprised that Sega and CA haven't jumped on the bandwagon yet, since they distribute through steam and have a massive community behind them. But I wouldn't be surprised if they changed their tune at any point.

As for Rome II, I dunno. I think this is what I'll be playing for years to come. There's something about the newer TW games, they just feel over-engineered. Maybe I'm weird, but I just really like the gameplay formula in Rome and Med2, it's a little simple at times but its intuitive to me. When I tried to play Empire and Shogun II I just never got the hang of it, they feel like a completely different game. Strategy games are kind of different than other games in this sense. Innovation and new features aren't always the answer, if you have a good gameplay formula, don't screw it up just because you're making a new game. I know I was definitely more excited when I first saw this mod than when I saw the first trailer for Rome II, and I never really even thought about the two in relation to each other until just now.
    We live in the DLCs era, everything is digital and they can charge you $5 for 3 units.

Quote Originally Posted by sickpeople View Post
    Mods - No DLC sales.
    While I support expansion packs such as FoTS and Kingdoms, I absolutely dislike faction DLCs. It's one of the main reasons why I'm not getting Rome 2 on release untill I can get a Gold Edition like I did with Shogun 2.
    It's a shame of what gaming has become.
    The older I get the less games I find enjoyable, that is why I am so grateful for mods like this. As for Rome2, I must admit I battled with myself for quite some time if I should preorder it, as I tend to agree with your DLC opinion. In the end I couldn't resist and bought it. Somehow I hope it will be awesome and it will be just like back then when Rome came out and blew my mind. The realist in me tells me it will not be like it, but I still want to hope...

Under the benevolent guidance of jimkatalanos

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast