Thread: Carthaginian spartans

Default Carthaginian spartans

OMG, how strong are they sacred band infantry for the carthaginians, they are like spartans or something, I knew they were strong, but cmon, I had like two units of them and they alone took on and beat over a thousand illyrians, 2 sacred band inf, no cav, and 2 slingers, the slingers were killed and my sacred band just went super saiyan, what are they, russell crowe or something

Im not complaining, I think its great, I have my new faction for MP now, just wondering if anyone else has had something like this happen to them?

Default Re: Carthaginian spartans

well if youre playing VH, then the AI is getting something like +7 attack as well as morale bonuses. You wont be getting these if youre playing as them in MP...

Quinn Inuit's Avatar Artifex

Eh, sacred band aren't invincible. In a medium difficult battle, I beat an army of Carthaginians in the streets of Palma (mostly Berbers, but 2 sacred band and 2-3 L-Ps, and some cav and elephants) with an army of one Italian ala, 3 hoplite levies, a scutarii spearmen, and a couple of local slinger mercs (all at about 1 XP). Of course, I lost about 2/3 of my guys to do it, but it worked.
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

My writing-related Twitter feed.

I couldnt believe it when it happened, my two sacred band just absolutely owned them, they were completely surrounded, in the middle of a mass of barbs, and all the barbs ran or died, amazing..., so the enemy gets an advantage on harder settings, cos I have my battle setting at v/h and campaign at h, they are absolutely great, im gonna try them against spartans now

Warmaker's Avatar Semisalis

I set the Battles for Medium.

Why?

There are no cheesey, artificial bonuses to any units.

Whatever bonuses all units go in with is what they get.
    Rome
    PARCERE SUBIECTIS ET DEBELLARE SUPERBOS
    To spare the conquered and overcome the proud in war - Virgil, on Roman destiny

Medum battles is the way to go. Oh, and against some units the sacred band rocks. Like a bunch of Chuck Norris + Vin Diesel + Brad Pitt all in one neat package. :tooth:

Quote Originally Posted by Warmaker
    I set the Battles for Medium.

Why?

There are no cheesey, artificial bonuses to any units.

Whatever bonuses all units go in with is what they get.
    I agree wholeheartedly. What's the point in working so hard to balance the game and then giving all the AI units a huge bonus? If I want more of a challenge I use tougher house rules or a harder starting kingdom.
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

Numenor's Avatar Campidoctor

playing in vh sometimes is stupid. i always play on it, but seeing weaker units, destroing my stronger units... i'm going to play in h/vh now..
    [IMG]

I used to be a very hard user. I had thought it simply made the AI smarter on the battlefield. When I learned that it does no such thing and simply gives some stupid attack and morale bonus I am now a firm believer in medium difficulty.

With campaign difficulty it depends on what faction I am playing. If I am going to play a faction that does not have a spread out empire like the Iberians I will use VH. If I am playing the Parthians I will have to use Medium because I can't stand running all over the place killing rebels on such a vast empire. I really wish rebels were disabled.
    -Voice of the Celtic warriors in EB 1 and writer of the original tutorial on sound and music editing for RTW.

Agreed. Rome: Total COPS stinks.

since imperator 2 doesnt add new units to carthage so i think i may post... Your right... i was playing custom battle aginst carthage , i have 6 unit of the best roman cavalry whit 3 gold exp 3 weapon exp and 3 defence exp and i attacked carthage whit them, and you know what ??? 1 unit of poeni ant 2 sacred band unit kick the ass of out my entire cavalry and my general and 50% of my army !! that is really stupid, they had no exp , Its really dumb guys ;] there immortal like the theban sacred band, i killed only 50 of them ! but later the remains of the army kicked the ass of there army and they broked D but they had 60% of there troops left ! it dumb

Quote Originally Posted by King_Azzole
    With campaign difficulty it depends on what faction I am playing. If I am going to play a faction that does not have a spread out empire like the Iberians I will use VH. If I am playing the Parthians I will have to use Medium because I can't stand running all over the place killing rebels on such a vast empire. I really wish rebels were disabled.
    That`s exactly my point. I don`t like to fight 5 battles a turn on the battle map against 4 brigand units. Who btw start the battle on top of a distant hill and it takes you more to get to them then to fight the battle. I like to autoresolve some of these "fights" and I noticed that on hard and very hard 3 brigand units beat the hell out of a medium or large army. It`s annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by florin80
    That`s exactly my point. I don`t like to fight 5 battles a turn on the battle map against 4 brigand units. Who btw start the battle on top of a distant hill and it takes you more to get to them then to fight the battle. I like to autoresolve some of these "fights" and I noticed that on hard and very hard 3 brigand units beat the hell out of a medium or large army. It`s annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by King_Azzole
    I used to be a very hard user. I had thought it simply made the AI smarter on the battlefield. When I learned that it does no such thing and simply gives some stupid attack and morale bonus I am now a firm believer in medium difficulty.

Go into your descr_strat file and put 100 at the lines of
    brigand_spawn_value 10
    pirate_spawn_value 28
    (those are the vanilla files) REMEMBER TO MAKE A BACKUP!!!!

EDIT: If I helped you some rep would be nice :wink:
    Last edited by The Walrus; September 05, 2006 at 05:07 PM.
    Whoever gives nothing, has nothing. The greatest misfortune is not to be unloved, but not to love.
    -Albert Camus