Thread: [Proposal] The Carthaginian Empire; units mod

St. Imperator's Avatar Civis

Default [Proposal] The Carthaginian Empire; units mod

Total war is more or less about changing history, so, I'd like to propose a mod that'd give Carthage Romanesque named and numbered units. It'd make for Carthage being a truly unique faction, that could truly rival Rome...which would make for an interesting experience if one leaves Rome alone until Rome develops legionnaires of her own.
    Well, I'd probably(very unlikely though) get more of a response by posting this here instead of where I had it before. For RS2.

Default Re: [Proposal] The Carthaginian Empire; units mod

The idea is great I think but I don't think it can be done, because RS2 has already hit the limit for units in game. So for every new named and numbered Carthaginian unit you want to add you'd have to delete a preexisting unit.
    “The hardest thing in the world is to assume the mood of a warrior. It is of no use to be sad and complain and feel justified in doing so, believing that someone is always doing something to us. Nobody is doing anything to anybody, much less to a warrior.” ― Don Juan
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -- Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, USMC

Here's my thoughts on it. Take out one of the swap factions, like say, Capua. That'd free up some room for the units. Just my thoughts.

Can it be played on 1-turn campaign?

I wouldn't see why not.

How to do that can be so played? I tried but it always ends in 0-turn campaign.

What're you talking about? It's not released. It might never be released, as, it might not ever be even started.

I think more Carthaginian units would be great, although you might want to consider developing a Carthage submod that modifies the mercenary units available to Carthage. Carthage's reliance on mercenaries being well known I think new Carthage specific mercenaries (or changes to their stats and recruitment limits) might be good way to approach the idea of a surviving post-Punic war Carthage. You could also look at specific units for cities which came over to Hannibal in Italy or ones that fought Rome during the Social war. Since the Marian reforms take place during the period of the Social Wars (generally speaking), instead of the Imperial reforms Carthage could have some post-Rome unit additions.

In all honesty I would really like to see a Barcid family faction (with Hamilcar, Hannibal, Mago, etc) RS, although in terms of game-play I'm unsure how you could include the shifts of the Barcid family's base of power (for example when Hamilcar leaves Sicily for Spain or when Hannibal flees Carthage a few years after the 2nd Punic war).

is the idea dead

The idea isn't dead. It's one that I'm really for, however, until I learn how to mod (fat chance of that happening), or someone taking interest and making this into a submod (again, fat chance), then it's not going to be going anywhere anytime soon.

Mayer's Avatar Domesticus

I think adding new models might be possible, if this sub-mod is going to be made on the Alexander engine since it has a increased maximum limit of models.
    Just like Athrapoenix' numbered legions add-on for EB. Also Alexander has the feature to set mercenaries faction-specific.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayer View Post
    I think adding new models might be possible, if this sub-mod is going to be made on the Alexander engine since it has a increased maximum limit of models.
    Just like Athrapoenix' numbered legions add-on for EB. Also Alexander has the feature to set mercenaries faction-specific.
    In that case, if it were made, that's where I'd want it to be made.