Thread: Roman families; old acquitances and new.

Icon3 Roman families; old acquitances and new.

For those of you senators, Dictators, freed Gladiatiors, Eastern Tradesmen, Greek child-molestating-prophet-philisophers, tribesmen, Republicans and Emperialists and others that played the original Rome: Total War will probably recognize your first ever campaign as the leader of one of the so called, 'Roman families'. All sharing units, culture and events during the gameplay, the only differences were slight; the colors, whom differed from the typical Roman red to Red, Green and Blue(with the senate faction using the Eastern Empire color of twilight), and the campaign objectives.
    Many weren't satisfied with this, as it had both historical accuracies aswell as inaccuracies reflected by what is known. In the sequel however, it is confirmed that Rome will be one split and safe faction.

HOWEVER. (dramatic music hrm rhm)

YOU WILL STILL CHOOSE TO LEAD A ROMAN FAMILY.

This is a new function. It is stated, that each will provide the player with a bonus in ways of culture, commerce and combat. You will have to work along and against your other families, and once maybe even take on the senate and rule the Romans as an Emperor, or stay the Republic.
    Carthage will also function in this way, while we're at it. Most of you probably know this, but whatever. I felt for posting some research I made after noticing various connections.

Now, let us take a look on these families. Let us begin with the Cornelia

The Cornelia was one of the most famous Roman gentes, and they consisted of more illustrious men rather than any other house of the Republic. The first ever member of this family to rise into the rank of Consul in the senate, was Servius Cornelius Cossus Maluginensis(that's a long one), who held that position back in the early days of the Republic; 485 before the birth of Jesus Christ. The Scipiones branch of the Cornelia were the ones to fend of the Carthaginian forces of Hannibal during the Second Punic war and as many of y'all know, Scipio Africanus was the man to defeat Hannibal. Now, you probably recall the faction Scipii, their objectives consisting of defeating Carthage aswell as Numidia; The Cornelia Family in Rome II will thus be a reflection of the family of blue you might've played as. Due to the Cornelians participating in the Punic Wars they will possibly be the ones to hold the Military bonus of the Roman families, but maybe the Cultural bonus due to the Cornelia being the family of some of the famous Romans.

The next confirmed family is the Julia

The Julia, or gens Julia or gens Lulia was another prominent family of the Senate. The first member of this patrician family to become a Consul was Gaius Julius Lulus, in the year 489 BC, five years before Servius Cornelius Cossus Maluginensis(let us shorten it to SCCM.) of the gens Cornelia rose to the status of Consulship. Under his Consulship, the two Italian tribes Volsci and Coriolanus commenced war against Rome. Another Gaius Lulus was nominated dictator in the year of 352 during bad times with the Etruscans. Gaius Julius Caesar was well known for his campaign against the Barbarian tribes of Gaul(hence why the faction Julii in the original is tasked with destroying this "nation"), and in his later years rising to the status of Dictator, and after some less than pleasant events his Nephew Augustus rose to the title of Emperor of Rome. Due to being precursors to Julius Caesar, praised for his tactical and military knowledge, perhaps the Julia will be the family to have the bonus of the Armies? Recall their color scheme in the original; red, which was the symoblic nyanse of the Empire which could be seen as a hidden message. This is the real Roman faction, this is the one that in the real History ascended to great power, play theese.

And finally, the Junia

The Junia has always been one of the most celebrated Roman families. Before the times of Roman Democracy, they were a Gens of high prominence, and Lucius Junius Brutus was the nephew of the last Roman King and he was one of the first Roman consuls. The two brothers Tiberius and Titus Brutus of the Family were executed for treason in 509 BC, the last days of Monarchy in Rome. Another pair of brothers, Decimus and Marcus created the first Gladiatorial combats in Rome ever in the year 264 BC, the year the first Punic War started. Other prominent parts of their history include founding of colonies, and backstabbing: Decimus Junius Brutus was one of the conspirators against Julius Caesar.
    As I see it the Junia have always been one of the families with a knack for profit; heralding from wealthy kings, founding the first Gladiatorial games in Rome, founding of Colonies. Judging by these, it is possible that the Junia will be the Family with the bonus of Commerce.

But, what happend to the Brutii? Shouldn't they be the third and final family of Rome? Not really no, since the Bruttii was a tribe living in the Adriatic coast, the starting region of the Brutii faction in Rome. The Brutii weren't Romans, they hated the Romans. They allied other tribes against Rome, sent troops to King Pyrrhus and hoped for Rome to extinguish like a tide against flames. The Junia and Bruttii have a "connection" however, as the Consul Gaius Junius Babulcus of the gens Junia was the one to beat them into submission after Pyrrhus defeat. However, the Bruttii wouldn't stop to defy Rome, and supported Hannibal when he entered Italy. After Hannibal and the Bruttii leaders defeat, they ceased to excist and their land taken by the Romans once again.

So then, to sum it up: the Families in Rome II will be a certain nod at the starting factions of the predecessor, while historical innaccuracies are seriously polished up. And now to my overview of each family's bonuses, and how I believe they will look like, judging by various feats of each during the span of history.

Gens Cornelia: Cultural benefits

Gens Julia: Military benefits

Gens Junia: Economical benefits

Note that all of this is merely my own perspective and how I believe it would look like, and how the ideas came up. If you got anything that goes against this and proves me wrong on some matter, or if this has been confirmed somewhere and I missed it( ) then go ahead on post; shame on me.
    "Patriotism is the last refuge o' Scoundrel."

-Samuel Johnson

babydoc's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Roman families; old acquitances and new.

Great post but I cant comment cos I have very little understanding of the political game in Rome.

BUT:

I really hope that politics will be important in Rome 2.
    I would like to see an advanced political AI.
    Thinking about it realistically I guess it wont be the case cos then the kiddies would have a mental brakedown.
    Would be cool to toggle politics on and off
    I know they made an "upgrade" to the diplomatic engine but everything Ive seen so far has been "politics lite".

3 games in one, yes please!

The wargame
    The Strategy game
    The political game

Why would kids even play Total War? I always seen the series as games for the most serious type, people with interest in history. That's why I started with the series last year, and fell in love.
    But I guess politics can be tricky at times, especially for the Medditeranean factions. You'll have to make sure the other members of your family aswell as the other two are kept in your favor, to avoid them taking control, and rising to power. At some point in Rome/Carthage gameplay there will be a civil war, which will probably be the highlight of the Campaign, where you can choose to rule as a Dictator, or save the ways of Democracy.

-Samuel Johnson

A well thought out and informative post, thanks Cap'n. I think you're probably right about the families. And I'm really excited to see how the internal politics work, I imagine it'll add an incredible new dynamic to the game
    My name is pronounced (Test*ick*leez)

Im tired of everyone calling me testicles. Jeez

babydoc's Avatar Semisalis

Well I call everyone under the age of 18 kiddies We old farts tend to enjoy the more strategic part of the game while the youngsters like battles with 10000 men with Blood DLC. If CA would cater to the more mature player they would lose a ton of money tho. Keeping a balance is CAs hardest task IMO. A political DLC could be cool but the manhours invested in it vs the sales.......... Hard one.
    Last edited by StealthFox; July 22, 2013 at 09:54 PM. Reason: merge

|Sith|Galvanized Iron's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Shame Brutii aren't in: "...Brutii are the only true Romans"
    Also responsible for the Roma Surrectum II Multiplayer mode
    Rest In Peace Colonel Muammar Gaddafi
    Forward to Victory Great Leader Assad!

Quote Originally Posted by |Sith|Galvanized Iron View Post
    Shame Brutii aren't in: "...Brutii are the only true Romans"
    I admit I miss their green colors.

-Samuel Johnson

Well i am sure CA will release a Roman Family Pack along the many culture packs it will be released.

I am really interested if they can pull that off. As i believe the more families they add to the Roman faction, the more complex the inner diplomacy will get. Or then again the AI might not be able to handle it and it will make playing as Rome incredible annoying.

I do expect a Claudia gens, Fabia gens and Valeria gens Roman DLC since technically speaking those 3 families were also as prominent as the 3 playable ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcani 4 Ever View Post
    Well i am sure CA will release a Roman Family Pack along the many culture packs it will be released.

I am really interested if they can pull that off. As i believe the more families they add to the Roman faction, the more complex the inner diplomacy will get. Or then again the AI might not be able to handle it and it will make playing as Rome incredible annoying.

I do expect a Claudia gens, Fabia gens and Valeria gens Roman DLC since technically speaking those 3 families were also as prominent as the 3 playable ones.
    Perhaps there will be the Claudia, Fabia and Valeria in the game, but non playable? I'm fairly certain they just added three playable Families as a nod to the original Rome, but also so one can go for one bonus; Cultural, Military, Economical. But hey, maybe these other three could have the same bonuses?
    Honestly I doubt that they'll release a Family Pack, if they do it would be rather intriguing as they have never released anything like such before. However I would love more NPC families.

I wouldn't be suprised if we'd see alot of Mods surrounding this feature.

-Samuel Johnson

THE FORUMS BE OURS!

*Doors smash open*
    *Walks out, drinking from a beer bottle*
    *Throws it into the ground*

Gentlemen...
    I be placed in a bewildernment. There I were...Offline. And all of sudden, I see an ungodly row on the main page. Members abandoning this thread I worked on the whole evening, without orders, without leave; taking the forums for themselves.
    What be that, First Mate?

Aburrrhruabrurhopapapap.

Aburrrhpruabruhropapapap...and what fate, befalls aburrrhpruabruhropapapapers, now we know the answer to that, do we not? Aburrrhpruabruhropapapapers...

GET BUMPED.

*Uses nonsensical magical sword and takes control of ropes to pull the thread to the main page!*

-Samuel Johnson

Tazgrent's Avatar Ducenarius

The Junii *are* the Brutii from RTW. Brutii doesn't refer to the "Bruttians" of southern Italy, it's the branch of the Junii family with the cognomen "Brutus", like the assassin and friend of Caesar, Marcus Junius Brutus. CA just recognized that last time they used the cognomens for the Cornelii and Junii (Scipio and Brutus, respectively).

Quote Originally Posted by Tazgrent View Post
    The Junii *are* the Brutii from RTW. Brutii doesn't refer to the "Bruttians" of southern Italy, it's the branch of the Junii family with the cognomen "Brutus", like the assassin and friend of Caesar, Marcus Junius Brutus. CA just recognized that last time they used the cognomens for the Cornelii and Junii (Scipio and Brutus, respectively).
    Should've known. Just noticed some awfully similiar things between the Italian tribe and the apparent branch of the Junia. My mistake!

-Samuel Johnson

Tazgrent's Avatar Ducenarius

I'll chuckle if they end up having the same colors and/or symbols, for the internal factions.

High Fist's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Captain W. Handberg View Post
    Why would kids even play Total War? I always seen the series as games for the most serious type, people with interest in history. That's why I started with the series last year, and fell in love.
    But I guess politics can be tricky at times, especially for the Medditeranean factions. You'll have to make sure the other members of your family aswell as the other two are kept in your favor, to avoid them taking control, and rising to power. At some point in Rome/Carthage gameplay there will be a civil war, which will probably be the highlight of the Campaign, where you can choose to rule as a Dictator, or save the ways of Democracy.
    Kids love Total War! I played Rome back when I waseight or nine years old! Granted, I played on Easy/Easy andauto resolved most (but not all) of the major battles. You sure as hell don't need to be serious to enjoy this series.

I love the way they are portraying the whole senate and the political part of the game. Much better than the original Rome:TW concept. I hope not all of the factions are like this though. Variety is the spice of life, and all that.