Thread: Trying to give units spear wall capability

Magician Reversed's Avatar Libertus

Default Trying to give units spear wall capability

I tried to make some edits to Mudmen of Faron and Glaive Grunts to make them able to form a spear wall. When I've tested them in custom battles they seem to be able to do it, however the game always crashes at some point in the battle. Oddly, I've been able to give Zora Infantry this capability without any problems. The only difference that I could think of would be their level of training and discipline. (Zora infantry are much more disciplined than either of those two). Does anyone know why this might be happening?
    "The enemy? His sense of duty was no less than yours, I deem. You wonder what his name is, where he comes from, and if he really was evil at heart. What lies or threats led him on this long march from home, and would he not rather have stayed there... in peace?" -Faramir (The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers)

Jakeford's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: Trying to give units spear wall capability

I don't know, units have to be holding long spears (pikes) rather then normal sized spears to effectively do a spear wall or phanix formation in real life, I would imagine medieval 2 total war has some sort of attribure for long spears but not sure, a unit I would suggest giving spear wall to would be iron clad elites

HerofTime's Avatar Tiro

I've given Ironclad Elites spear wall myself and it helps a bit. Problem is their unit size is too small for the phalanx+spear wall combo to work well. If the enemy goes to the side or behind the spear wall too much it isn't being used effectively.

"Metsu Ryū Ōgi...! Gōma Tetsu Jin Ken!!!" -Gajeel Redfox

I wonder if shield wall would give me the desired effect. They probably need shields but it's worth a try...
    "The enemy? His sense of duty was no less than yours, I deem. You wonder what his name is, where he comes from, and if he really was evil at heart. What lies or threats led him on this long march from home, and would he not rather have stayed there... in peace?" -Faramir (The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers)

HerofTime's Avatar Tiro

Well do remember shield wall and spear wall do totally different things. Are you just testing the walls on units or are you trying to get something specifically?

I'm basically trying to give them the ability to make a more solid formation, and I don't see a whole lot of use to the schiltrom. Shield wall seems to give me the desired effect, and it doesn't cause a crash, so I think I'll stick with that.

HerofTime's Avatar Tiro

I don't think I've ever tried spear wall on a unit that isn't phalanx. That could be the cause of the crash possibly.

The Golden Land Mod. Has a Pike unit that uses the spear wall Ability. And it doesn't cause any crashes.
    You should try it out. We also have units that use the Shield Wall ability. So have fun with your tests.

here it is.

HerofTime's Avatar Tiro

Pike units can have it, I'm just saying I've never added it to any spear unit in any mod that has a shield also, they generally get shield wall.

None of the units I added it to have shields, but it works pretty much the same.
    And is the Golden Land mod playable?

@ Magician Reversed.
    Golden Land mod is playable. Then again, It was. In our current release there Is CTDs That Keeps on happening in Battles. I would welcome any one, Who can help Identify the bug. For we can fix it. Thanks to any Who help.

O... I should have said this. The CTDs does not always happen. so you can still play. But Play at your own risk. sadly.
    Last edited by Eldren; July 22, 2013 at 04:36 PM.