Thread: Having issues installing/playing XGm, both with and without Steam

Default Having issues installing/playing XGm, both with and without Steam

Good evening all

I've been having a problem with XGM for a while when it comes to playing the game. Originally, a few months ago, I installed RTW and BI using old CD copies, updated them properly to 1.6 and then tried to run the game. The result was my computer repeatedly snapped between the game itself and my desktop. It would do so at the opening screen, the main menu and the campaign creator. It was also very difficult to stop and exit the game, as I couldn't easily get to task manager due to the frequency and pace of the snaps. So I gave it up and uninstalled it.

Tonight, after grabbing RTW Gold in the Steam sales, I downloaded the latest version of XGM (XGM_5_9_27) and had another go, installing it in the Steam directory for the game and ticking the option "Use Steam" when prompted. However, when I try and run the game, I get the same issue as previously, repeated snapping back and forth between game and screen, making it unplayable.

I'm running Windows 8, if that is of any importance.

I've used XGM in the past and loved it, which is why it was my first option when I installed RTW on both recent occasions. I'd dearly love to be able to play it again, so any help would be hugely appreciated. Help me help the Greeks rule the world!

Many thanks

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Having issues installing/playing XGm, both with and without Steam

Does rtw by itself work ok? If you use the Alex exe have you tried starting the Alexander expansion by itself?

I haven't seen this problem before so I can't offer a definite solution but here are a few things you could try:

1. Right click on the xgm shortcut and select properties. You should see a target that looks like this:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Sega\Rome - Total War\RomeTW-ALX.exe" -show_err -nm -mod:xgm

Try removing the -nm switch or adding the -ne switch, which runs the game in windowed mode, like this:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Sega\Rome - Total War\RomeTW-ALX.exe" -show_err -mod:xgm
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Sega\Rome - Total War\RomeTW-ALX.exe" -show_err -nm -ne -mod:xgm
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Sega\Rome - Total War\RomeTW-ALX.exe" -show_err -ne -mod:xgm

2. Try deleting the xgm preferences file (located in [rtw]/xgm/preferences/) or try starting the original game, and then copying the original preferences file (from [rtw]/preferemces/) over to the xgm preferences folder.

3. Try updating your video driver, or clearing the video cache (usually updating will clear the cache).

Hope that helps.

Thanks for your prompt response!

Deleting the preferences file did the trick. Adding -ne to the target command also worked to an extent, but the window was too bizarrely shaped for me to use!

Thank you very much

Hi,
    I also got RTW Gold from Steam during the sale, however, when i try to install this mod the option of selecting 'Use Steam' doesn't show up. I checked to see if I had downloaded the latest version and I have the 5.9.27 version.
    The options for 'Use Bi' and 'Use Alexander' do show up, just no steam option.
    I tried the other solutions posted above but they dont work.
    Vanilla in steam works just fine.

You help would be really appreciated! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Wurmman View Post
    … when i try to install this mod the option of selecting 'Use Steam' doesn't show up. I checked to see if I had downloaded the latest version and I have the 5.9.27 version.
    The options for 'Use Bi' and 'Use Alexander' do show up, just no steam option…
    I had the same issue because I install all game files on my second hard drive, while all my steam files are on my system drive.
    Like this:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common
    D:\Games\SteamApps\common\Rome Total War Alexander
    problem was solved after I’ve reinstalled alexander to steam original directory:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Rome Total War Alexander
    Last edited by MiniMeAgain; July 25, 2013 at 01:51 PM.
    Sincerely Yours,
    from Muscovy.

Для всех, кто знаком с кириллицей -
    Петр.

I can see a couple of potential problems with the way the installer is handling Steam installs. One is issue with Steam and games being in different places identified by MiniMeAgain. Another issue is the way 64bit Windows is storing registry keys.

I will put together a new version of the installer later today. I you guys could test it that would be very helpful. I don't have the steam version of RTW so I can't test it myself.
    Last edited by DimeBagHo; July 25, 2013 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DimeBagHo View Post
    ... could test it that would be very helpful. I don't have the steam version of RTW so I can't test it myself.
    ок
    Sincerely Yours,
    from Muscovy.

Петр.

I would love to help in any testing that needs be done! Just let me know!

Version 5.9.28 is here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/xgm/files/

I figured the simplest approach was just to disable the location check for Steam. If your game files are in a different location you will have to choose the right location to install.

If anyone has both RTW Gold and Alexander for Steam, and doesn't mind poking around with regedit, there are a couple of things that would be useful to know.

1. You can start regedit by clicking on the start/windows button and typing regedit in the search box.
    2. Scroll down the list on the left until you see HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. Open that.
    3. Open SOFTWARE.
    4. Then open The Creative Assembly. If you can't see it, check in Wow6432Node.
    5. In The Creative Assembly you should see two entries, one for RTW, and one for Alexander. I don't know what they will be called. Take a look in both. What we need to find are the InstallPath keys that will show in the right hand side.
    6. Make a note of the complete location of the InstallPath Keys, which will look something like:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>The Creative Assembly>Rome - Total War>InstallPath
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>The Creative Assembly>Alexander>InstallPath

The bits in red are what I really need to know.

Downloaded the new file and installed. The Use Steam option showed up and then
    I just directed it to the Rome Total War folder and it all just worked from there...! Campaign looks amazing so far!

Thanks for the help!

If anyone has both RTW Gold and Alexander for Steam, and doesn't mind poking around with regedit, there are a couple of things that would be useful to know.

1. You can start regedit by clicking on the start/windows button and typing regedit in the search box.
    2. Scroll down the list on the left until you see HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. Open that.
    3. Open SOFTWARE.
    4. Then open The Creative Assembly. If you can't see it, check in Wow6432Node.
    5. In The Creative Assembly you should see two entries, one for RTW, and one for Alexander. I don't know what they will be called. Take a look in both. What we need to find are the InstallPath keys that will show in the right hand side.
    6. Make a note of the complete location of the InstallPath Keys, which will look something like:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>The Creative Assembly>Rome - Total War>InstallPath
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>The Creative Assembly>Alexander>InstallPath

The bits in red are what I really need to know.
    Hmmm. There isn’t such thing as HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>The Creative Assembly>Rome - Total War>InstallPath in my registry. Interesting.
    The only registry sections, where The Creative Assembly, Rome Total War and Alexander are mentioned, are:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Steam App 4760
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Steam App 4770
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules
    HKEY_USERS\ ... \Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\LowRegistry\Audio\PolicyConfig\PropertyStore\ ...

Would like your advice on how to make your phalanx formations more cohesive. Need to make phalanx vs. phalanx battles last longer. Messing with export_descr_unit.txt doesn’t help much so I guess I need to edit some other file but what file exactly? =) thanks in advance.
    Last edited by MiniMeAgain; July 26, 2013 at 06:01 AM.
    Sincerely Yours,
    from Muscovy.

Петр.

Thanks for the report Wurmman, I'm glad it's working for you.

MiniMeAgain:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Steam App 4760
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Steam App 4770

Does either of these have a key called 'InstallLocation'?

To make the formation denser you need to change the formation line in export_description_unit.txt.

formation 1.2, 1, 2, 2, 8, square, phalanx ; Macedonian Phalanx

The first number is the distance between files, the second is the distance between ranks. The next two are the same for loose formation. Then finally the number of ranks.

Thanks for the report Wurmman, I'm glad it's working for you.

MiniMeAgain:

Does either of these have a key called 'InstallLocation'?
    yes, exactly that.

To make the formation denser you need to change the formation line in export_description_unit.txt.

formation 1.2, 1, 2, 2, 8, square, phalanx ; Macedonian Phalanx

The first number is the distance between files, the second is the distance between ranks. The next two are the same for loose formation. Then finally the number of ranks.
    thanks, I'll try it.
    Sincerely Yours,
    from Muscovy.

Петр.

Thanks MiniMeAgain, the next version of the installer will be better at finding steam installs.

Version 5.9.29 is up. Wurmman, if you get the chance can you try it out and see if it finds the correct install location?

Hey, downloaded the mod but when I run XGM it says I have the wrong version of RTM, so I checked what version I have and it is the correct 1.5 version of the game. Any insight on what might be the problem?

If you have multiple installs or previous installs that were in different places the installer is probably looking in the wrong place. Check your actual install location by right clicking on the shortcut you use to start the game, and checking properties. Then make sure the installer is pointed to the same location.
    Last edited by DimeBagHo; August 21, 2013 at 02:53 PM.

Thanks mate, working now!

I'm having an issue with this mod, XGM_5_9_29.exe is the version I'm using. Pretty sure I have it installed in the right place. Playing with steam version of RTW Gold. When I start up the game it's identical to the vanilla version. The campaign looks exactly the same. What is an early indicator that I'm playing the modded version, and am I still just playing vanilla RTW?