Thread: CTD When Taking City

Default CTD When Taking City

Playing RTRPE 1.6 w/BI.exe and Candelarius' Realism Mod...

I'm playing Greece and am trying to take Antiochus Edessa from the Selucids. I defeat 2 armies and get a Heroic Victory. When I choose whether to occupy, enslave, or exterminate (doesnt matter which one), I immediately get a CTD. The city had a high happiness rating as I was taking it so it doesnt have to do with rebeling.

I'm tried it 3 times with the same results

Snipe's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: CTD When Taking City

I have the same problem- im playing RTRPE 1.6 but without BI.

Im also greece trying to capture Larrisa from macedonia. I defeated 2 macedonion armies and take the city. When i try to occupy (or enslave or exterminate) i get a ctd. i tried it 3 or 4 times with the same results.
    (i have no other mods or changed any files)

By the way, great job on the mod guys!

I have sometimes had this CTD, but never when exterminating the population. Just when occupapying or enslaving. This is really weird, all these settlement-related CTDs. THey must have some logical explanation...

Snipe's Avatar Tiro

Its driving me nuts cause i cant continue my campain till i find the problem
    (my game is saved after the battle for so i cant go back)

I think this CTD is on the list of the game`s bugs IIRC and I think it can`t be fixed. That`s from what I remember. If I`m wrong, someone should correct me on this. Anyway, I had this type of CTD with vanilla RTW and with Terrae Expugnandae so.... IIRC I got it when I chose "exterminate" the last time.

Civis

Just thought I could add something to this hence the revival. I had this happen in my RTR Gold Rome campaign and it happens on all cities I tried to take, with and without family members and or reinforcements, when I attack, or they send a relief force, or they sally, or the siege comes to a conclusion. I tried waiting a few years and then trying and no difference. After it happened once it happened in all my games, even ones that were previously fine and I had got past that point (old saves). I did a complete uninstall, followed by a fresh install of RTW, 1.2 patch, RTR Gold. Same problem with both new campaigns and old ones. It has forced me to stop playing RTR at all as I can no longer play as I can't take cities period. I think it must be due to something in windows as it prevailed after a fresh install. Only other thing I can think of is to buy a new PC (which fortunately I was in the process of anyways) or perhaps a format and reinstall.
    Under African skies

Have you tried this, I've never had this problem and always have "Follow AI movement" on like Capn Crunch, Marcus Camillus say they have in this thread:

http://forums.totalrealism.net/index...howtopic=23374

Civis

Yep, the problem is the CTD is happening in my turn so the follow AI movement does nothing for me. As soon as I click occupy, enslave, or exterminate the game dies. I have recently bought a new PC, installed it, played 60 years into a new roman campaign and now it is happening again on the new PC. I am so frustrated right now I could scream.
    Under African skies

Do you get this with RTR Gold or RTRPE? Does it happen with ALL the settlements you want to take? Have you tried saving the game previous to the battle and, using auto-resolve, trying a number of times for the same settlement?
    Sorry for your problem! I know how frustrating a thing like this can be.

Civis

Yep tried all that. Its in Gold actualy. I just noticed last night that for the save I am at 49 provinces. So it seems to be something to do with the victory conditions. Any ideas. Short of giving away Rome I can see no way of continuing my campaign.
    Under African skies

Definitely it's an RTW bug.
    Usually I can walk around this problem by repeating the battle (sometimes 3 times!), disabling auto_save in preferences.txt and waiting ~5 seconds before closing battle results and settlement captured windows. No idea what really helped but at least I could continue the campaign.

Civis

Thanks, I will try that and see if I can get past.
    Under African skies