Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alt Accounts, TWC Gaming Staff and WTW HS

grouchy13's Avatar TW Mercenary Veteranii

Default Alt Accounts, TWC Gaming Staff and WTW HS

Guys, Gals,

TWC has an established policy on the use of Alt Accounts, whilst not Illegal or in contradiction of the T.O.S they pose a unique, ethical and difficult problem for the M2TW HS Community. TWC Gaming Staff have established a number of Alt accounts are at work within the WTW HS Community. We are not however in the business of naming and shaming or carrying out witch-hunts against the Alts, many are most likely family members sharing a computer some however may be attempts to gain an unfair advantage in HS.

I don't think I need to outline the potential, and I underline potential harm Alt accounts can do to a HS should they be established for the wrong reasons, what we are in the business of at TWC Gaming Staff is ensuring all HS are carried out in a fair and sporting environment. To that end after a discussion with my TWC Gaming Staff colleagues and the overall head of TWC Gaming Staff, my boss if you will, and established a few guidelines to prevent Alt Abuse without cracking out the burning stakes and pitchforks. These are as follows,

Alts accounts will be barred from participating in TWC Gaming Staff HS, only one account per IP address shall be allowed access.

We expect in the spirit of good sportsmanship that all Alt Accounts will notify the admin's of the HS currently taking place where both Accounts are participating in the same HS of the situation of their accounts. Failure to do so may be seen as potential account abuse and further action may be taken.

We'll continue with our periodic sweeps for Alts, if I'm honest the Young Bloods series is and always has been the main area of abuse. We're not here to stop family members playing but at the same time some of us have been playing HS along time and if you speak to some of the older salts around here, especially those with experience from the main area we can tell you of the damage that can be caused by Alt abuse either in manipulating HS or attempting to circumnavigate forum bans. Main thing is that collectively we are aware of this issue and be honest with each other so we may gain the maximum enjoyment from our HS.

To that end enjoy your HS!

PS Plans will be afoot soon for the Middle Bloods and best Newbs TWC Gaming Staff Medal HS, standby for more infomation

grouchy13

TWC Gaming Staff HS Admin
    Under the Patronage of the Venerable Jom Patron of the one true Shogun wealthmonger, Antipodean son IZob, Terrifying Sultan of the Blitz totalwar_legend & Warden of the Iron Throne Dux

Badger-dude's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Alt Accounts, TWC Gaming Staff and WTW HS

There have always been murmers...

My friend/partner occasionally plays my turns with/for me, but she doesn't have an account for this very reason (As much as she would love to have one..)

Bcman's Avatar Senator

Last edited by Bcman; July 16, 2013 at 03:41 PM.
    Bye day the banished sun circles the earth like a grieving mother with a lamp- The Road

Bcman's Avatar Senator

What happens if you have 2 siblings with accounts on TWC who play HS, My cuz is Knight of the rivers.

We attempt to distance ourselves in the HS we are in but somtimes we manage to share a border.
    Bye day the banished sun circles the earth like a grieving mother with a lamp- The Road

The matter in reality is up to the HS admins and your fellow competitors in the HS you play in, if they are cool with it TWC Gaming Staff have no issue to get involved in.

TWC Gaming Staff HS are off limits to people sharing IP's however, and that is basically our policy bro.
    Under the Patronage of the Venerable Jom Patron of the one true Shogun wealthmonger, Antipodean son IZob, Terrifying Sultan of the Blitz totalwar_legend & Warden of the Iron Throne Dux

gangstamaori's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by grouchy13 View Post
    The matter in reality is up to the HS admins and your fellow competitors in the HS you play in, if they are cool with it TWC Gaming Staff have no issue to get involved in.

TWC Gaming Staff HS are off limits to people sharing IP's however, and that is basically our policy bro.

That's pretty poor policy, considering it's all just a game. I wouldn't let a few people with two accounts ruin it for two or more people who share an IP address. I'd rather play in a hotseat where two factions are controlled by one person, than let honest folk miss out on certain hotseats.

Hotseats are all just for fun, and there is nothing at stake at all. When you let something like this get in the way of honest people just wanting to enjoy themselves, then I think you need to rethink the rules. At the very least, judge it on a case by case basis. Making all Gaming Staff hotseats prima facie off limits to all people sharing IPs is complete rubbish.

"The disgraced and the disinherited. This is my army. This is our best hope."

Riverknight's Avatar Last of the Romans

TWC Gaming Staff HS, only one account per IP address shall be allowed access.

So me and bcman will NEVER be able to be in the same TWC Gaming Staff HS why, I like to beat him ..... if we ever get in the same hotseat, put us at opposite parts of the world if you truly think we will harm the hotseat, hell I am only allies with him in one hotseat!

Quote Originally Posted by gangstamaori View Post

That's pretty poor policy, considering it's all just a game. I wouldn't let a few people with two accounts ruin it for two or more people who share an IP address. I'd rather play in a hotseat where two factions are controlled by one person, than let honest folk miss out on certain hotseats.

Hotseats are all just for fun, and there is nothing at stake at all. When you let something like this get in the way of honest people just wanting to enjoy themselves, then I think you need to rethink the rules. At the very least, judge it on a case by case basis. Making all Gaming Staff hotseats prima facie off limits to all people sharing IPs is complete rubbish.
    It is all just fun, until the accusations of cheating start, inevitable flame wars and bans start coming out, it has happened before and we're just taking measured steps to assist in them not happening again.

No one is forcing anyone to participate in our events, other HS still run alongside ours, bottom line is this our policy that comes from years of collective HS play. If you feel our policies are rubbish your free not to partake in our HS.

Guys, just remember that this policy is for the Gaming Staff hotseats.

You are fine in non-Gaming Staff hotseats (which is the majority of them anyways)

Riverknight's Avatar Last of the Romans

Quote Originally Posted by complete noob:( View Post
    Guys, just remember that this policy is for the Gaming Staff hotseats.

You are fine in non-Gaming Staff hotseats (which is the majority of them anyways)
    Can't get medals in non gaming staff ones.

This sucks :/

Emperor of Hell's Avatar SPA-NED 1-5

This has always been part of the ToS , nothing new.

Stuck for awhile.

Bcman's Avatar Senator

The post that was here previously was destroyed.
    Last edited by Bcman; July 17, 2013 at 08:43 PM.

Badger-dude's Avatar Primicerius

There will always be other hotseats to partake in.

If my partner was to create an account and wanted to play in hotseats she would have to use my PC. I have already said that she can use my account to play but that would restrict her from certain kinds of HS.

Thus it is probably best that she creates her own account, but we never join the same hotseats. Because that would run the risk of foul play. That is not an issue for me and I hope that others don't see it as such.

While some of us are natural allies or enemies with certain players, two people sharing the same computer is very different from two friends playing togethee. I agree with the HS staff here.

Wow that post made no sense.

Korpskog's Avatar Praepositus

So I suppose it is common knowledge that Lakritstroll is my kidbrother however we rarely play from the same IP even if it has happened.. hell we don't even live under the same roof.. is this going to be a problem?
    "Får jag kalla dig Bajen? Det är lättare att komma ihåg..."

Arrow2daknee's Avatar Vicarius

Wait, so The gaming Staff has our IP addresses?

Every mod (or clever user who knows a bit of computers) has acces to that

Arrow2daknee's Avatar Vicarius

It sounds... Illegal for any mod to access that.

Havent read the TOS but I am not sure of that. It is illegal to share that information due to Privacy Policy, but not to acces it I think.

Your is stored in the servers any time you acces the page.

Your IP is the finger print for your TWC account, only Hex Council IE the guys who run TWC can view IP data, this allows them to monitor for banned users from rejoining under new alias or Alt abuse.

TWC Gaming Staff do not have access to your direct IP Date how ever we can as TWC staff ask the Gaming Staff Hex Admin to investigate if Alt accounts are at work in the MP area's that fall under our staff duristiction.

Like I said before this is not about preventing play but about preventing Alt accounts manipulating HS as has happened before and I dare say will again. For those who share IP's I'm sorry that you are barred from our HS but the risk is just too great for abuse, I have witnessed two complex frauds myself in HS and I know their have been more which have been as toxic.

This is a view shared by many of my Gaming Staff comrades, if this is something you do not agree with fine your free to play with Alts in other HS it's your and the HS admins choice in the end.

It also seems there is some confusion on accounts from the same IP accessing our HS like I said in the OP only one account per IP is allowed, Period

I hope this answers your questions, feel free to contact me if you have any more
    Last edited by grouchy13; July 17, 2013 at 04:43 PM.

The Forgotten's Avatar Domesticus

So just to be clear, if an account shares a computer with another account, they are automatically expelled from all GS Hotseats, or are they allowed to play but not in the same one. I can't really see how it would be a problem just as long as both are not playing at the same time.

Many thanks to the good folks down at the Graphics Workshop for the sig.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast