Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy Football (World cup edition)

Adar's Avatar Just doing it
    Civitate

Default Re: Fantasy Football (Barclays Premier League) Kicks off 17/8/13

Quote Originally Posted by Charlatan View Post
    Not really Q, I think me and Adar were expecting them not to play at all but my crystal ball's been misfiring completely all season so far.

Two huge transfer targets will be rolling round Fantasy land before GW 6 as Lukaku (7.4) and the returning king Luis Suarez (10.9) will more than likely see a lot of transfer activity. The main problem for most teams is the current form of Benteke, Sturridge and some Arsenal striker who I hate to mention, so more than likely it will mean that most managers will target one over the other but between the two of them they managed 40 goals in only 50 games last season.

Were also officially the Wild Card league as over half of the teams have dropped their's already including our top three which is most surprising (Murf, Soren and Adar). Penny for your thoughts guys or did you all panic when you saw my 26 .
    I am really struggling to decide on what three players I would like to up front...

But my wild card was played because I realized that I could greatly increase my returns by improving my backline without weakening my midfield much. This is especially important early in the season as teams tend to converge later in the season which makes it very hard to "catch up" which I learned last season.

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    spy of the council

Note to self, investigate wild-card for next week

Quote Originally Posted by Ybbon View Post
    Note to self, investigate wild-card for next week
    If you go into the help section on the Fantasy site it has all the Wild Card information listed mate but basically it gives you the power to make unlimited transfers in between one Game Week without having to take a 4 point hit for each.

Murfmurf's Avatar Primicerius

Managed to cling on to the top spot this week, even though my MFs were bench-ridden and only came on for 1 point. And even worse I left Barfa on the bench

@Adar: obvious choices for forwards is either a combination of Giroud/Studge/Benteke/Soldado OR RVP/1 of the 4/cheapy.

All the points at the moment is coming from forwards and defenders. Only goal-scoring MFs are/will be making points, IE Benny/Lamps/Walcott. I think Ozil is too much at £10m when assists won't get you bonus points.

PS@ Charlatan: my general rule for wildcarding is do it when you feel you should. My team was close to very good but I didn't want to take hits (haven't taken any yet). Annoyed I only got 56 or something this week, would have been 69 with Barfa, d'oh! But I feel I'm set up for the coming weeks now
    Last edited by Murfmurf; September 18, 2013 at 06:36 AM.

Westeros: Total War Unit-Maker
    Check out our previews here!

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Murfmurf View Post
    @Adar: obvious choices for forwards is either a combination of Giroud/Studge/Benteke/Soldado OR RVP/1 of the 4/cheapy.
    I think Giroud/Sturridge/Benteke is the obvious combo but I am considering Lukaku if he comes good.

Yeah I've been thinking about Lukaku too. Need to see how much game time he gets first though, plus Everton in general worry me; you're never sure how it's gonna go under Martinez!

edse's Avatar Domesticus

I bet all those getting Özil are regretting their choice now...

Civitate

I am kicking myself for not doing Koscielny+Toure to Ramsey+Baines.

spy of the council

Looking on the positive side, at least I didn't go any further down. Sigh, I need to go try a Di Canio approach to team management - berate them in public, just what every employee appreciates!

Wild card, and time to make some long term selections I reckon.

Good god I had a bad week! 20 points, and slipped down from 1st to 9th.... ouch!

spy of the council

I on the other hand, have 55 points (last time I checked) and stil got some players to play.... Played a wild card and finally got a break, now to keep it going.

Civitate

Finally back in the lead but I still got major issues with my captain selection. But I cannot really complain as I got 75 pts despite scoring 0 with my captain...

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    But I cannot really complain as I got 75 pts despite scoring 0 with my captain...

Ah the luck of the Swedish, that's a cracking score with 0 from the captain. I was going to post last night that you'd won manager of the month but I'm glad I held back till the league's been updated as it seems we've had a Supreme September as Azog has pinched it by 2 points, he may have twitched in GW 2 with multiple transfers but with a more settled approach to transfers over the last 4 weeks he's taken no points hits at all in September which in the end was the deciding factor between the top four, Kudos to Azog.

Quote Originally Posted by Murfmurf View Post
    Good god I had a bad week! 20 points, and slipped down from 1st to 9th.... ouch!

Ouch indeed, everyone's going to have a bad GW sooner or later and sometimes you don't know whether to laugh or cry but look on the bright side it's going to take some doing for someone to rake in a lower points total then that, every cloud silver lining and all that jazz.

Well I did warn everyone earlier about Suarez and Lukaku giving people plenty of advanced notice to work them into their teams so which striker did I buy for GW 6

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Rooney

Fiddlesticks

Roll on October which also should mark the end of the first Quarter as well.

Azog 150's Avatar Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Charlatan View Post
    Ah the luck of the Swedish, that's a cracking score with 0 from the captain. I was going to post last night that you'd won manager of the month but I'm glad I held back till the league's been updated as it seems we've had a Supreme September as Azog has pinched it by 2 points, he may have twitched in GW 2 with multiple transfers but with a more settled approach to transfers over the last 4 weeks he's taken no points hits at all in September which in the end was the deciding factor between the top four, Kudos to Azog.
    Haha thanks! My original team was so shocking I had to take the points hit at the beginning! Still plenty of time for things to go wrong though
    Last edited by Azog 150; October 01, 2013 at 05:56 PM.
    Under the Patronage of Jom!

Not a good day to have 3 Spurs players in your line up. (West Ham, really)

In 7 GW's my midfield so far has returned a paltry 1 goal and 3 assists, I consider myself lucky to be only 70 points adrift in the classic league though I have been more than a little fortunate in the H2H fixtures.

♔hammeredalways♔'s Avatar Darthmod Moderator

but a good day to have 3 Hammers, and be a happy Hammer
    Knight of the binge-drinking-Kebab-shop-vomiting-taxi rank-punch-up? 32nd degree

spy of the council

Oh dear. Back to miserable then, this was not the weekend to have swapped Szczesny for LLoris - though abject failure ran through whole team this week. I think the fans would be calling for my head if I was a real manager at this point.

edse's Avatar Domesticus

Before gameweek 6 I got a Tottenham defender since they had conceded only one goal in the first five matches, since then they have conceded four in two. I also got Ramsey who scored 13 first week but this week, when I made him captain, he scored one.

So, if there are a player you want to fail miserably next match, tell me and I'll try to transfer him in.

Civitate

Oh my, this week really hurt major players I like all seemed to be on fire while my own selection had a barren streak except for Ramsey who came off nicely from the bench .

spy of the council

My PSU died last week so I was without my PC until Saturday and never had time to modify my team. And I got 54 points.

OK, so this says as an active manager I am not as good as doing nothing at all Mind you, if I didn't have Ramsey and Ozil I may well have barely made double figures!

Good week fro Soren though, 80 points is not too shabby.