Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy Football (World cup edition)

Adar's Avatar Just doing it
    Civitate

Default Re: Fantasy Football (Barclays Premier League) Kicks off 17/8/13

I seriously thought this would be the year where Tottenham would overthrow Arsenal.

But despite this I went into the game with three Arsenal players and no Tottenham coverage

Really saved my week with Giroud, Walcott and Koscielny in the team...

Søren's Avatar ܁
    Patrician Citizen Magistrate Administrator Emeritus

Atrocious week, my team combined got 0 goals & 1 assist, totaling 38 points.
    Last edited by Søren; September 01, 2013 at 02:44 PM.

♔hammeredalways♔'s Avatar Darthmod Moderator

super Danny Gabbidon helps propel me back into 3rd
    Knight of the binge-drinking-Kebab-shop-vomiting-taxi rank-punch-up? 32nd degree

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    Administrator Emeritus

Well my week was horrible, now how do I go about getting Ozil in my team....

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Ybbon View Post
    Well my week was horrible, now how do I go about getting Ozil in my team....
    Well Özil is the master of assists. He get 3 pts for creating a chance while Giroud get 4 pts for converting it...

Well August has been and gone so MurfMurf gets the manager of the month award, congrats man.

The most surprising thing so far in Fantasy is the amount of clean sheets flying around the premier league, I can't remember the last time a new season kicked off with defenses being on top and with the Liverpool keeper Mignolet being Fantasy's top point's scorer was not something anyone could have anticipated going into GW 4.

I've had a poor start but I had most of my money invested in my midfield (Dream team has a 5-2-3 formation, seriously) and it just hasn't worked out, I'm joint lowest point scorer with Edse on our massive 26 for GW 2 so unsurprisingly I'm at the wrong end of the table for now. I've even 80 or so teams above me in the world which didn't even play in the opening GW which is slightly embarrassing but I shall perceiver and I'll expect to see a lot of green in my points page in September.
    Last edited by Charlatan; September 07, 2013 at 05:10 AM.

Murfmurf's Avatar Primicerius

Cheers Charlatan! Only just seen this, what with TWC suffering under the burgeoning traffic of R2TW's release.Seems to me defenders/forwards > midfielders this year. Very few bonus points going around in the centre of the park. Debating bringing Ozil in too but I love Wally Wally Walcott and with Giroud too I think'd be overloading on the Gooners...

Westeros: Total War Unit-Maker
    Check out our previews here!

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Murfmurf View Post
    Cheers Charlatan! Only just seen this, what with TWC suffering under the burgeoning traffic of R2TW's release.Seems to me defenders/forwards > midfielders this year. Very few bonus points going around in the centre of the park. Debating bringing Ozil in too but I love Wally Wally Walcott and with Giroud too I think'd be overloading on the Gooners...
    I rated Tottenham higher than Arsenal this year but I still ended up with more Gooners than Tottenham players in the fantasy team

Administrator Emeritus

I figured I'd take the hit now with Ozil, got rid of some real under-performers - he's in at £10m so not cheap but I had some spare cash. Now all I need to do is score more than 26 points this week and I might stop my rapid descent to the bottom

Now got to hope Milner and Cleverly start earning points - Milner only got 2 so far and I've had him in my team all along Subbed both of them now though.
    Last edited by Ybbon; September 12, 2013 at 03:55 AM. Reason: update

Omnipotent-Q's Avatar All Powerful Q
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

After a good first week, I've fell into the temptation every single week of spending points on making transfers. For example week 1 - Podolski in my team. He didn't play. Concluded he wasn't fit, so decided to transfer him out so he wasn't in my team week 2. Week 2 he scores two and gets a bucket load of points. So I make my free transfer immediately for the Week 3 to bring him back as week 2 games are still going on. Midweek before games start for week 3, he gets injured. I spend points to reverse my decision. If I had just waited a bit later in the week, I wouldn't have lost points. Stupid things like that and making transfers constantly has cost me big time already. I'm in the TWC league relegation zone!

Basically, the proverbial turd has hit the fan so I've played a wildcard for this week to have a fresh start. A clean slate. I need to stop making transfers all the time willy nilly, and keep to free transfers. The tactic I've used so far of spending points on transfers constantly only to use a wildcard anyway is akin to driving the wrong way down a road. But wasn't happy with my team. Happy now. May change my team again before the weekend now I've deployed the wildcard already this week, but I'm much more happy with my line up now - but who to play as captain? Haven't decided yet. Last time I lost faith in RVP and took the armband off him, he came up trumps. ...and they're playing against Palace this week . Wenger might decide not to start Ozil or something silly like this.

Under the patronage of the Legendary Urbanis Legio - Mr Necrobrit of the Great House of Wild Bill Kelso. Honoured to have sponsored these great warriors for Citizenship - Joffrey Baratheon, General Brittanicus, SonOfOdin, Hobbes., Lionheartx10, Mangerman, Gen. Chris and PikeStance.

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Omnipotent-Q View Post

Take a deep breath and always remind yourself that quality+game time equal good scores.

So always take the "safe options" first. Your team looks quite interesting but I think your defense look weak and Barkley+Eto feels a bit risky as they aren't nailed on. Personally I am not a fan of Van Persie this year but I might very well be wrong so having him and captaining him often should give you the highest returns.

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    Your team looks quite interesting but I think your defense look weak and Barkley+Eto feels a bit risky as they aren't nailed on.
    I'd also add having two players from the same defense is also high risk, I think Soren had some joy with that tactic last year with Stoke but West Ham have Spurs, Man City and Everton in their next 6 fixtures. One goal against could ruin both players scores.

Another site which I should of probably included in the OP is Fiso

http://www.fiso.co.uk/crackthecode.php

Basically it should help players understand when to buy/sell players regarding the financial aspect of your squad. As we get deeper into the season injury's and suspensions will always hamper our teams and sites like these could help a player to decide whether or not to sell a player or keep him on for that extra week.

As Adar mentioned above I'll use Barkley for the example.

Barkley's had a cracking start to the season scoring 1 goal and amassing 14 points in the first 3 GW, in these three weeks he's been transferred in by a whopping 497000 players which has seen his price rise from 4.5 to 5.0. However Barkley only got the starting nod as Gibson was injured at the start of the season and with Gibson on the brink of returning added to the fact that Everton have just signed james Mccarthy means that Barkley's game time may from now on be limited.

Now if Barkley doesn't start in the next two weeks I'd expect a lot of players to start transferring him out of their side's to take advantage of his price rise meaning that his price may start to decline. Remember users only get .1 value added to their team for every .2 value added to their player however losses are taken away as they happen.

Azog 150's Avatar Civitate

Shockingly bad game week for me so far. Counting on Liverpool absolutely smashing Swansea tomorrow to get an even somewhat respectable gameweek. Made two free transfers for next week as well (bought in Benteke and Lukaku for Dzeko and Welbeck- don't know why I thought having Welbeck upfront would ever be a good idea. As for Dzeko, he has done well for me previous years but doesn't seem to be getting any games)
    Last edited by Azog 150; September 15, 2013 at 11:44 AM.
    Under the Patronage of Jom!

Welbeck's been ok up till now. Is he injured?
    Have you ever seen Dirty Harry Guns and money are best diplomacy
    "At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques."

Bill Shankly

"Not badly, considering I was seated between Jesus Christ and Napoleon"

David Lloyd George was pleased with his performance at Versailles.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishoss View Post
    Welbeck's been ok up till now. Is he injured?
    The European group stages all kick off this week so he may have been a victim to squad rotation, I hope you guys all have nice starters available on your benches as I'm sure we'll see some of the top teams pull out surprise line-ups to deal with the two games per week unless of course you've got Arsenal players who seem to be a little jinxed with injury at the minute.

Administrator Emeritus

Curses, got 46 points and still went down - there again would have been 50 but I had 4 transfer points and still got 2 players in tonight, come on you Swans! hoping I'm going to start bouncing back up now..

Søren's Avatar ܁
    Patrician Citizen Magistrate Administrator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Murfmurf View Post
    Personally I'd have 5 Arsenal players right now if the game allowed me to.

Omnipotent-Q's Avatar All Powerful Q
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

I've moved off the bottom with a respectable 61 points. Adar and Charlatan were right on the money - Eto'o and Barkley got me next to nothing on the points. Thanks for the tips gents, I wish the site was behaving and I'd got round to reading them before the games got going at the weekend! Already shipped out Eto'o. He's well past it I think. Looks a shell of his former self.

Going to risk it on the West Ham defenders though. Big Sam always has specific clean sheet targets for a season and always looks to beat them. He's massive on them. Backing Big Sam not to be inept is a risky strategy, but heh, he says he can "manage Real Madrid easy" so who is anyone to argue with that?!

Under the patronage of the Legendary Urbanis Legio - Mr Necrobrit of the Great House of Wild Bill Kelso. Honoured to have sponsored these great warriors for Citizenship - Joffrey Baratheon, General Brittanicus, SonOfOdin, Hobbes., Lionheartx10, Mangerman, Gen. Chris and PikeStance.

Not really Q, I think me and Adar were expecting them not to play at all but my crystal ball's been misfiring completely all season so far.

Two huge transfer targets will be rolling round Fantasy land before GW 6 as Lukaku (7.4) and the returning king Luis Suarez (10.9) will more than likely see a lot of transfer activity. The main problem for most teams is the current form of Benteke, Sturridge and some Arsenal striker who I hate to mention, so more than likely it will mean that most managers will target one over the other but between the two of them they managed 40 goals in only 50 games last season.

Were also officially the Wild Card league as over half of the teams have dropped their's already including our top three which is most surprising (Murf, Soren and Adar). Penny for your thoughts guys or did you all panic when you saw my 26 .

Sorry Double post.
    Last edited by Charlatan; September 17, 2013 at 12:43 PM.