Thread: Course Syllabus (Important)

Diamat's Avatar VELUTI SI DEUS DARETUR

Default Course Syllabus (Important)

Instructor: Diamat

COURSE DESCRIPTION:

Holding a language course on an online forum such as Total War Center is not an easy task. In many ways, this is completely new territory for both you and me. Therefore, I will find myself experimenting with various formats that I think will best help you learn the basics of the German language within a very limited time frame. As such, expect this course to be intensive, involving substantial effort on your own part. Learning a language is a process, a process requiring you to actively engage in the subject matter. I will help you along the way, but my goal is to teach you how to teach yourself, so that upon the completion of this course, you will be able to easily go on and continue learning German without me. Hopefully, by the end of this, you will have a firm grasp of the elementary functions and vocabulary of the language.

TEXT:

Because I understand you all are of different age groups and nationalities, deciding on a textbook that is easily accessible for everyone was not an easy task. As a result, I have resolved to use the following Wiki-based textbook:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/German

Pronuciation
    Don’t know how to pronounce a verb? You can always go to google translate, type in the German word, and hit the speaker button, upon which the word will be read to you. This is a great tool if you are unsure about pronunciation.

EXPECTATIONS:

Coursework:
    Students are expected to read and study the relevant chapters for each week, including extension modules. Before having a Skype session, students should have familiarity with the material for that week, capable of responding and asking questions. I highly recommend that you do the practice tests that come with each chapter. This will only benefit you.

Have a Question?
    No Problem. We will have an “Ask the Teacher” thread, where you can ask me questions anytime. Please do not hesitate to ask.

Participation:
    There will be two major ways for direct interaction between students and the teacher: Skype sessions and a “Let’s Talk” thread. While the Skype sessions are optional (albeit highly recommended), all students are expected to post in the “Let’s Talk” thread.

Tests:
    Tests will not be too hard. They are mainly intended to make sure you are learning the material correctly. So if I notice that you are getting something wrong, I can better help you. It’s a way for me to make sure you are learning.

Pass/Fail:
    Please note that you will only pass this course if your overall grade is at least 80% (B-). This should be incredibly easy to achieve as long as you actively engage with the material. I decided to institute this because I want to encourage people to work hard. One cannot learn a foreign language without putting a lot of work into it, especially if the course is only so short.

Grading Breakdown:
    Participation: 50%
    Tests: 50%

SCHEDULE:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Week
    Coursework
    1/2
    -Read I.0: Introduction
    -Look at the German alphabet and how it is pronounced. This can be found under I.3: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/German/...hstabieren_Sie
    -I.1, I.2, I.3
    -Extension Module Week 1/2
    -Comment: we will take the first two weeks somewhat slower, so that you have time to ask questions and we can all get used to the format of the course and fix things if necessary.
    -I.4: Freizeit
    -Extension Module Week 3
    -I.5: Geburtstag
    -Extension Module Week 4
    -I.6: Essen
    -Extension Module Week 5
    Reserved for review, potential extra material, or other matters (more info will be provided near the end of Week 5)

Last edited by Flinn; February 05, 2018 at 02:44 AM.