Thread: I am in dire need of siege advice.

Default I am in dire need of siege advice.

I'm just playing through the tutorial right now and the siege level is kicking my ass. I've tried three times to get passed it, but to no avail as my infntry keeps routing on me. What the hell am I doing wrong?

Default Re: I am in dire need of siege advice.

questions?? Have you played total war before? Have you ever tried using your agents?
    Here's my tips!
    1. Always study your opponent like sending some ninja, metsuke for bribing some reinforce units if you got money and monk to incite revolt. (I found metsuke totally useful due i am playing Oda and i can get instant samurai from the Ai but expensive but who cares. You need all men you can get if you are going to war especially in siege)
    2. Create a diversion like dividing your troops and make a special forces that would attack in the back and a unit that is ready to climb in the main wall to capture the castle flag that is the main objective in the siege if this is castle tier 3 to 5. Capturing Castle flag and hold on it until 1 minute you won the siege and you could all Ai units who routing. This tactic is best use for yari ashigaru that have spear wall and they really cheap and expendable even they failed. Usually to do this have your main army in front of the castle and the Ai would fall for this and your special unit and main army would capture some key points have one of the wall and you could put some of your archers in the wall. Usually the Ai would stand on the main wall being rain w/ ur arrows but they would attack soon. Also the wall you just captured you need to protect it like putting a defense unit yari ashigaru in the gate w/ spear wall and a samurai supporting on it. If the Ai are occupied you could send the unit who would capture the flag.
    3. Ready to sacrifice your units. Use cheap units like Ashigaru for capturing key points like archer tower and gate. Never ever burn anything in the castle due it is expensive to repair and in realm divide you a need castle that is not damage. Unless in Kyoto you need to burn it to the ground with mangonels, cannons and fire arrows.

Well, I haven't actually played the tutorial so I can't help you there. usually the strategy is just to bring more guys.

Are you trying to climb the walls instead of just ordering your infantry to burn down the gate?

Lenovo X131e's Avatar Laetus

Put your archers to use. Sit them in front of their keep with their units just in range and toggle fire at will on. At the same time with your ashigaru, try not to get a lot of them climbing the same section of the wall. Climb one up, let the AI run towards that, then rush the rest up on the opposite side. A good idea is to burn the gates as well, just so you have another place to get in.

TheRomanRuler's Avatar Campidoctor

Send your troops to climb the walls and burn gates, and when you find weak spot, rush your reserves in there. Throw overwhelming amount of your shock troopers (=elites) against enemy`s weak point. If you can out shoot enemy, wait until all soldiers in unit have climbed up to same level before advancing to next level. If enemy out shoots you, you just gotta rush it. Go to melee as cuickly as possible, but if you have inferior melee troops (for example Imperial troops) shoot all your ammo before going to melee. (or at least majority of your ammo, if enemy unit has just 10 or 20 units wavering, there is no point wasting your shots)
    Apologies for anyone who's message i may miss or not be able to answer

I havenīt played tutorial, so Iīm not sure about which clan you play and what tech level you are at.

I would say catapults have their use on that one. If you are lucky, you kill their general with a stone or two. You can wreck enemy archers which will lower loses.
    Other way is fire arrows / bombers but that will cause high damage to the castle.

For sneaky attack climbing I would use Kisho ninjas. They climb fast and donīt fall from wall so often.