Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helios Issue XII.

King Henry V's Avatar Behold your King

Default Helios Issue XII.

The Truth Shall Make Ye Free

The train steamed into TWCVille Station late on Monday evening, the main arrival point for all TWCers coming from that dark and distant land known as Real Life. I was one of the passengers on board, fresh from my two month summer holiday in Austria. As the train juddered to a halt, I pulled my suitcase down from the luggage rack and hopped off the train through the compartment door. Fortunately I was at the front of the train, I didn’t have to do much walking to get to the taxi rank, where my favoured mode of transport was waiting. However, rather than finding the usual queue of taxis, only a solitary vehicle was parked in the rank. Opening the back door, I also found him to be rather rude and almost deaf.
    “Hello,” I greeted him. “The Helios Offices, please.” I thought I should pop over to the Helios to see how things with Menander had been shaping up before relaxing in my apartments in Wilpuri House with a glass of whisky and soda and an opera record on the old gramophone. . As I had been away for two months, I was naturally expecting disaster at the Helios, which only I could sort out.
    However the cabbie did not seem too cooperative in driving me to my destination.
    “WHERE WAS THAT YOU SAID?” he bellowed at me. It was louder than one of my siblings’ snoring, and I can hear that at night even though we sleep at opposite ends of the wing. He shall of course remain nameless (let it only be said that he’s the one who likes to dress up in blue recently…).
    “The Helios Offices, please,” I repeated more loudly this time and he seemed to get. I just hoped he wasn’t going to drive me to somewhere like the TWC cemetery.
    “I CAN’T HERE VERY WELL, YOU SEE,” he shouted again, just in case I hadn’t figured it out the first time.
    The cab set off and navigated its way through the streets of TWCville. However, it struck me as strange that next to no one was to be seen on the streets. Normally, I would have asked the cabbie, but I didn’t fancy engaging in a shouting match again.
    We soon arrived in front of the building where the Helios had their offices, and I paid the driver and got out with my suitcase. As the cab drove away, I entered the deserted hall of the building and got into the lift.
    It was as I came into the Helios Offices that I received my greatest shock. It looked as though the place hadn’t been used for months. What had gone wrong? As I crossed the paper-littered floor, I glimpsed a faint glimmer of light from my old boss’ office. I opened the door and found Menander hunched over his desk, gazing onto a month old issue of the Helios.
    “Menander? What on earth has happened here?”
    “Oh. You’re back. I guess you haven’t heard about it yet.
    “Heard about what?”
    Menander stretched across to flick a switch on a funny shaped box. To my utter surprise, there emanated a voice going over the news of TWC.
    “They call it the podcast,” Menander said. “And it is king now. So far as I know, the Helios is finished. “ He rose from his chair. “My time as editor here is up. The editorship passes to you my son, if you want it. If not…it dies,” he shrugged.
    I was speechless. Only for a second, though. “The Helios is not dead, not whilst I’m around.”
    “I’m glad to hear it,” my old DG said. He drained his glass of brandy, patted me on the shoulder and walked out, leaving me alone in the dark and deserted Helios.
    “I always said that I would do the next issue,” I muttered to myself.

Ladies and Gentlemen, despite the somewhat pessimistic view of our previous editor, the Helios is by no means dead and it is with great pleasure that I present to you the 12th edition of the Helios! I also present to you a new and better than ever before Helios, with brand new sections and a hand picked team of the best writers TWC has to offer.
    However, it is also with regret that I must note the demise of the Total War section of the Helios. It had been ailing for some time, and it is my belief that it no longer constituted the most fundamental section of the Helios and that the newspaper’s efforts can be better devoted elsewhere.
    However, that is not all. In the depths of the Helios Offices, my most secret alchemists imported from distant Cathay have been working on a never seen before phenomenon…THE HEADLINE PAGE!

A TWC University?
    Electioneering: To Ban or not to Ban?

Thema Devia News
    By El Guapo.

A look at the Thema Devia by El Guapo

That day inches ever closer for some it has passed and they have accepted their fate stoically, for others they wait palpating in their terror at the prospect of an end to the glorious ignoble student holiday that is summer. For the rest of us working class buffoons we live with the reality that is monotonous day in day out work and for us this is a blessed return of the teeny tiny terrible tikes to blessed babysitting education and peace. A herald of winter or of Christmas, is your glass half full or half empty?

Never the less we have the common community to stave off depression and more importantly Thema Devia!

To the Skies and the Back of Beyond

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=60663

In proof that we in our decadent imperialistic glory truly have nothing better to do with out time the glorious battle has begun to reinstate Pluto as a planet, though if it is important to you read the thread.

There Can Be only One

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...7&page=1&pp=40

Jesu_follower saw heaven and Jesus who inspired him I believe, truly a heartfelt post. The sceptics rise though like zombies beating their way out of a coffin and unearthing themselves to terrify the believers:

"If you find yourself alone, riding in green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled -- for you are in Elysium, and you're already dead!"

The debate is raging as to whether he saw Elysium or heaven, or is Elysium is heaven or heaven Elysium! Did he videotape this transcendent experience or take a picture?

Did he see Jesus or Allah, Buddha, Luke Skywalker or Barry Scott with a penny in one hand and jar of Cillit Bang in the other? Keep it civil guys and respect a persons right to believe what he does, some believe in Jesus other follow Barry and everyone has a right to that belief without being attacked.

On Tribulations and Titillations

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58969

Who is the most offensive character, the most politically incorrect that we all love to hate and get our giggle on at?

That is the question that must and has I suspect been answered with the majority vote going to Cartman from the hit show South Park, "cartman. no doubt did any of the other characters ever caused another kid to eat his own parents?" Thanks Origin of symmetry for that reminder.

On The Commies and The French

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39097

I've been wondering lately, why is there a big rivalry between Europe and America?

I honestly don't know the answer, but one thing is for certain, Americans are the new Commies for the Europeans and the Europeans are the new French people for the Americans.

The entire US roxors Europe argument is funny, but then again so is EU will destroy the US by 2009!!!
    Of course the hidden enemy is biding his time and machiavellian evil imperialistic ambitions, you heard it in this thread first folks, keep your eyes on Canada. They act so polite all the time; never trust a smiling tiger that's all I can say.

Just a brief visit from me then folks, Adieu Adieu!

Arts and Sciences News
    By Gaius Baltar
    “The TWC Art Gallery/Drawing Thread”
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=41840

Here members can post original artwork. Drawings of demons, warriors, and other bits of abstract art can be viewed. One humorous series has even parried the Simpsons by combining the characters from the show with dinosaur bodies!!! It is really a chance for everyone to show their artistic side, so give it a go and let the creative juices flow!
    The Athenaeum (Sciences) section has several recent threads looking at various aspects of space travel. Here in the US, the Space Shuttle is back in service after several years of refit following the Colombia disaster. So interest in space, NASA and other aspects of exploration is peaking at the moment. The demotion of Pluto from planet status is the subject of debate.

Saving Pluto: The fight back begins
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=60663

With increased US shuttle activity, there is certain to be more material available in the upcoming weeks.

This Week in the Vestigia Vestutatis
    By King Henry V

The week began with a debate on the most influential commander of all time, with suggestion varying from Mohammed to Napoleon, from Sherman to Belisarius. A series of articles were also published this week on subjects such as The Battle of the Nile, The Battle of Borodino, The Battle of the Boyne and Basil II, the Bulgar Slayer. Perhaps owing to the release of Napoleonic: Total War II, there seemed to be a distinct Napoleonic flavour, continuing with a thread on the cavalry of the time. Belisarius was lucky enough to find some Old Books and the impossibly well read Spartan JKM has been displaying his superhuman intelligence in Was Gustavus Adolphus a military genius?. Antiquity was not neglected either, with Huge classical era armies, The Greek over arm phalanx and yet another, repetitive yet ever so popular, Who would win, Alexander the Great, or Hannibal?
    Also of note was a debate on the existence of Atlantis, where the consensus seems to be that it did in fact exist but was most probably greatly exaggerated, and the Greatest American President.
    The Middle Ages were also not forgotten, with a very informative thread on Mediaeval languages and the deadly Flambard Sword.

After weeks of debate, the face of the Curia was radically changed this week as staff reforms were proclaimed in the form of a new syntagma. One of the most important aspects of this constitution is the “realignment of ranks” and the redefinition of the roles of civitates and patricians. From now on, the rank of basic civitates will lose nearly all the political privileges they previously enjoyed, whereas patricians will become a new class of citizens inheriting many of the civitates former powers.However, patricianship will not be automatic: all current civitates and patricians will be demoted to the basic rank of citizen, with only a handful, judged by an assembly of current and former staff and opifexes, allowed back into power. These new patricians will be the only ones allowed to exercise any direct influence on the direction of TWC.
    Membership of this new class of legislators will be based upon contribution to the site in the form of news, modifications, and article writing or helping the site by acting as a local moderator or as a Librarian.
    Other changes include the introduction of a new rank, the Artifex. This new badge is meant to be an equivalent to the current civitates badge: they will share the same privileges and the only difference is that whereas the civitate badge will be awarded for contributions to the Common Community, the artifex rank will be granted to those whose activities mainly lie in the Total War area. Proposals have been put forward by Kscott for the creation of a dual rank for members who are active in both areas.
    The process of ostracisation has also been reformed. Ostrakons are now a more organised and set procedure, also simplified, from four options to three and the time taken reduced to speed up proceedings. Polls have also been banned from the main Curia forum.
    However, these changes have by no means passed without controversy. Strategos and Hexagon member Belisarius said that the reforms will “build the base of a new and better Civitates community and one of a higher standard whose members aim for what is best for the community as a whole.” Others, such as former Consilium de Civitate member Corporal_Hicks are protesting against what they see as a purge. However, members of staff remain confident that the reforms will herald a new dawn for TWC.

A significant change to the governance of TWC introduced with the new syntagma is the abolition of the Imperator-Consuls Triumvirate and the introduction of a Triumvirate where all three members are equal. The once supreme rank of Basileus will become a mostly administrative role, dealing with the technical administration of the site and the two other Triumvirs will concentrate their efforts on either the external or internal administration. A notable difference is that no longer will one of the Triumvirate ranks be elected by the Curia.

Following the previous Tribounos election fracas, debates have been underway to discuss whether the act of electioneering, i.e. sending PMs or emails to prospective voters asking them for their vote, should be made illegal under the Syntagma. Supporters of the proposal include Strategos and Acting Syntagma Curator imb39 and Tribounos jp287587590937749854, who believes that offenders should be punished with warnings and censures. However, Mudd argues that Private Messages are, unsurprisingly, private and should be allowed as “long as the person doing the PMing doesn't get all up in the face of the people he is trying to influence.” However, he opines that public electioneering should be banned.

Gigagaia has put forward a proposal for the creation of a TWC University, where everything from modding to philosophy will be taught. The subjects would be handled by a team of professors with knowledge on the particular subject. Plans have been submitted for students who successfully complete the courses to be eligible for civitateship and professors to considered candidates for the rank of Patrician. Yet not everyone supports such an Academy: the Patrician SoggyFrog said “Don't most people post here to get away from school?” However, such debates had been shortly suspended pending the transformation of the Curia.

Please stop the drama, pleads Patrician

Nihil has urged the Curia to cease the current trend of dramatic resignations and attempted self-ostrakons. “With the recent fad for self-destruction and sacrifice which has rocked our once-peaceful forum to its very core, and taken from us brothers, sisters, mothers, daughters and second cousins twice removed, I believe it is time for us to unite as one and cry out – Enough!

How many civitates’ must spill their blood before the madness ends? How many self-imposed exiles must tear themselves from our loving communal bosom? How long will the awful sounds of wailing and gnashing of teeth fill the air?” he appealed.
    His calls follows the resignation from the Curia of Manji, and the outright resignations of bdh, RZZA and briefly, Tostig.

New Curia Opened – Patricians Only

The new Curia was formally opened on Saturday with the announcement of the ratification of the new Patricians, who from now on will be the only ones able to post and vote on matters in the Curia. The following Civitates have been made Patricians:
    Gigagaia, Kagemusha, King Henry V, Oldgamer, Nihil, Muizer, El Guapo, Rez, Publius, Halie satanus, Aemilianus, Dirty Peasant, IncinerateIV, PyrrhusIV, SoggyFrog, Hader, Aristocat, Ragabash, Silver Guard and MoROmeTe. The announcement was followed by a flurry of bills and proposals, among them the Tribounos Requirements Bill, the Patrician nomination amendments and the reopening of the TWC Academy proposals.

Consilium de Civitate Election Opened

Following the opening of the new Curia, the application threads for the Consilium de Civitate have been opened. Presently, all Patricians, from Civitate to staff, are allowed to volunteer for the CdeC. However, this may change if the bill for the restriction of staff presence in the CdeC proposed by Silver Guard, is passed.

Helios Editorial
    The proclamation of the newest Syntagma is a much needed reform for the benefit of TWC. For too long the status of the class of civitates has been debased, and whereas once the badge was awarded to exceptional members of the community, it has recently been given to almost any new member whose posts are above mediocre. This is not to say that civitates are bad, but despite what was supposed to be a body of elites, the Curia had become open to everyone who is merely “quite good”.
    The new Syntagma aims to change this situation and hopefully, it will.
    The right to legislate, the most important aspect of civitateship, is not merely a privilege but a responsibility; one that be used with thought and care. The recent Quaestorial election controversy demonstrates that many civitates, out of apathy or irresponsabilty, are unsuitable to exercise their legislative privileges. That does not mean to say that they do not deserve to belong to the honoured class of civitates, however, whether they should be allowed to wield their legislative powers is a question that needed reviewing.
    It is for this reason that the Helios welcomes the reforms and hopes it will mean a new period of prosperity for TWC and the Curia.
    However, there are some reservations. The Helios hopes that this new Curia will be granted more powers than previously, considering that the reforms came about because staff “could no longer trust the Curia”. As the newest Syntagma is supposed to create a trustworthy body to advise staff on matters, this new Curia should be logically be given more powers, not less. This paper thus notes with dismay the removal of the Curia-elected position of Republican Consul and its replacement by a presumably appointed rank of Exarch.
    However, it should also be noted that these are only the early days of the new Syntagma. Time, as always, will tell.

That is all from me and the team for this week’s edition of the Helios, and we hope you enjoyed as much as we took to write it. I leave you now with the first part of our new serialised story written by Silver Guard.

No Promises
    She had worked late that night and was the last in the building. She wrote her schedule for the next day and carefully locked and checked the door to her twentieth-floor office. The corridors were dark and heating gone, illuminated only by the EXIT signs glowing in emerald green above each doorway. She shivered as she opened the door to be met by a rush of cold air up the drab staircase winding industrially down to the ground.
    The reception area still had a light on, as it always did. She blinked as she walked into the room, marked from the outside only by swathes of metal holding together the un-burnished glass.
    A letter lay on the polished desk, reflected in the varnish so she could see the scribbled lettering below it. Even as she placed her handbag on the table the chair creaked ominously and swung round to face her. She shivered again, for another reason entirely and carefully dragged the letter from the table.
    She smiled as she recognized the writing scrawled across the grained white of the envelope: Karen. She looked over her shoulder, as if frightened that someone had seen her cautious smile, and carefully slid her finger beneath the seal, grimacing as the cover tore through to the edge. Hurriedly she cut through the rest of the paper and opened out the message beneath.

Happy Anniversary darling!
    Meet me at the Blue Dolphin at 10.30 after work; I have a surprise for you

Love Eternal
    XXX

Again she smiled guardedly, lifting a gloved hand to cover her face as she peeked childishly at the note between slender fingers. Glancing around she caught sight of the gothic clock, hooked and ornate in contrast to its modern neighbours of security cameras and television screens. The minute hand swung round with a resounding click, as if to add insult to injury, ten twenty.
    She gasped and stuffed the crumpled note into her handbag and scurried across the marble floor and through the glass doors. Heels echoing through the night.
    Behind her the doors swung shut, and the lock clicked…

Her taxi arrived late and despite her nagging the burly driver all the way, the streak of yellow rushed in to the harbour district at ten forty-five. A quarter of an hour late. Her heels caught in the gutter as she half stumbled from the cab. She glared back as she heard a chuckle, quickly followed by a squeal of wheels as the taxi sped off, leaving small snippets of age old newspapers to flutter down onto the black tire marks.
    As she walked into the alley leading to the waterfront, a drunkard from a nearby nightclub noticed the sway of her hip and staggered after her. Even as he reached the alley he lurched back, fell through the air and landed on the roadway. He stared grumpily, like a child denied his toy, he stumbled as he struggled to rise, and lurched back the way he had come. The air around the alley shifted, as if disturbed by a gust of wind, and then dissipated, leaving the paper snippets to settle once more.
    The Blue Dolphin was closed. Karen stood for minutes staring at the sign first in disbelief, then sadness. CLOSED. It said it quite clearly, had been closed for ten minutes. People were inside of course, but they were the last to enter, the late night romantics who would follow up with a stroll down the pier and a quiet moment gazing at the moon over shining waves…
    She gave a little sigh and felt the lone tear tickle her lip before falling away to splash upon the pavement. Such anticipation led to misery, she knew it too well. Only days ago they had argued over her working hours, how they never saw one another. It was the end, ten thirty, the letter had said, ten minutes before closing. Above her a neon clock glared accusingly, a great shining hand pointing out her tardiness. It was ten fifty. The clock fizzed as another droplet fell upon it, glowing sparks drifting down to crackle out lazily on the moist pavement. More drops fell; she felt her hair fall from its wavy curls to drape across her back as she stared at the mocking rays shining out the passing minutes.

She must have stood there for quite a while before a drop fell directly into her eye, causing her to gasp and raise a soaked glove to her face. Dejectedly, she stumbled away from the azure sign, the smile of the dolphin laughing at her as she disappeared into the rain.

The alley was cold and dank, a gloomy mirror of her sadness, black clumps sat in rows along the walls, the occasional sack gazing gormlessly though the piles of effluent gathered above grilled drain covers, plastic recycle bins glaring out at her, GLASS, PAPER.
    She caught herself gazing into the light glittering off rivers of water flowing over the cracked surfaces. She dragged a hand across her cheek before hearing what had broken her moment alone. A crunch of glass as the broken bottle was further crushed beneath a booted heel. She turned.
    “You’re purse, now!”
    She glanced down, trembling to the shaking glimmer of a gun, then up to the nervous face of her companion. He blinked and stepped back as her eyes met his, his eyes trailing over dark lines of smudged mascara and watered eyes. He shuddered as he raised the gun, “hand it over!”
    She glanced down again and jumped back as she realised what was happening, hurriedly unclasping the handle she let the handbag drop to the ground, taking hasty steps back.
    She glanced to the side; opening her mouth she heard the gun click “Don’t scream, I’ll shoot!” She gasped and stepped back hurriedly, her back cracking against the stones she let out a cry.

Thank you, and goodnight.

The team: King Henry V, El Guapo, Gaius Baltar and Silver Guard.

Thank you for your donations.
    Last edited by King Henry V; September 05, 2006 at 01:50 PM.
    Vassal of the most puissant Sheriff, imb39
    Suzerain of the valorous Castellan, scottishranger and of the preux Knight and Master Crafstman Atterdag

Former Editor of the Helios, Councillor of the Concilium de Civitate and Councillor of Peace.
    "Quatscht Studium, Verbindung ist die Hauptsache!" Heinrich Mann, Der Untertan
    "Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; the best of life is but intoxication" Lord Byron

Default Re: Helios Issue XII.

Its great but the text is really wide, I cant figure out whats causing that. You want Front page?
    Well, if I, Belisarius, the Black Prince, and you all agree on something, I really don't think there can be any further discussion.
    - Simetrical 2009 in reply to Ferrets54

imb39's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Patrician Citizen spy of the council

:wstupid: Bel is totally correct, and you shall get your shekels, each one of you!

To be perfectly honest, I preffered that to the podcast, keep up the good work KHV, you realy are a worthy successor to the Helios, the links were thorough and useful

Veddy good, veddy good. I quite enjoy the more newspaper-esque layout.

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

A very worthy read. I expect great things of the Helios in the future. In fact, I prefer it over the podcast. :}

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Quote Originally Posted by Belisarius
    Its great but the text is really wide, I cant figure out whats causing that. You want Front page?
    I have no idea why the text is really wide, it's certainly not the case where I am. Strange.
    But yes please, front page would be very helpful.
    Suzerain of the valorous Castellan, scottishranger and of the preux Knight and Master Crafstman Atterdag

Former Editor of the Helios, Councillor of the Concilium de Civitate and Councillor of Peace.
    "Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; the best of life is but intoxication" Lord Byron

Saint-Germain's Avatar Comte

It looks very, very good from where I sit! Congrats, KHV and team.
    né Menander
    Under the covetous wing of Ozymandias
    Patronizing my favourite (not so) little guy, Turbo

"With this weather, it might as well be Thursday..."

Tom Paine's Avatar Mr Common Sense
    Patrician

Silver Spring, Maryland (inside the Beltway)

Ve'y, ve'y, ve'y good. Excellent work, your Majesty.

Tres bien!

Svært godt! Svært godt!, oh patron, I in fact do prefer this to the podcast, I like its creativity and layout more(also its a heck of a lot shorter).

Evariste's Avatar We are one, we are many

Quote Originally Posted by scottishranger
    Svært godt! Svært godt!, oh patron, I in fact do prefer this to the podcast, I like its creativity and layout more(also its a heck of a lot shorter).
    I agree. The ability of the podcast to dispense information and entertainment quickly can not be matched by the Helios staff's penchant for awesomely creative prose. Well done, all!

all that aside, could you please write it so those with 1024/768 screens dont have to scroll to the side to read every line?
    if i could remember which key zooms the screen out, the text would be too small anyway.
    also doublespacing would be nice too.

if you cant get the text to not be so wide, why dont you post a link to a text file and thus accomplish it that way.

I just saw this. As always it is worth the read and is extremely well written.
    More importantly, I was mentioned.
    Thankyou for writing this academic piece or articulate brilliance.

Quote Originally Posted by Xu Xiang Long
    all that aside, could you please write it so those with 1024/768 screens dont have to scroll to the side to read every line?
    if i could remember which key zooms the screen out, the text would be too small anyway.
    also doublespacing would be nice too.

if you cant get the text to not be so wide, why dont you post a link to a text file and thus accomplish it that way.
    I'm sorry if you have problems reading it, but my own screen is by no means huge (30cms wide, 23 cms long/12 in wide, 9.2 in long). Perhaps it is because I am using Opera.

It is twice the size of my screen, and it seems to me to be the widest thing I've ever seen here at TWC. I actually have two monitors, and I spanned this single page across both of them, and it STILL wasn't wide enough to view this page. No lie.

Weird. What was it that was widening it? A picture or something?
    Edit: I've changed something which may have been causing it, how is it now?
    Last edited by King Henry V; September 05, 2006 at 01:28 PM.

Patrician

Wide. (You did ask!)

All right, I've changed the size of the headline, how is it now?

Patrician

Still, no. probably just firefox.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast