Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tavern Talk - History, Modding or Discussions

Andytheplatypus's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Tavern Talk (History, Ideas, Questions, Gossip)

Quote Originally Posted by Losthief View Post
    If you make the events/scripts more action based, like more interactive, so each turn takes longer to play, I think you'd have a lot less complaining about turn times. Like people complain about turn times cause they click end turn, it takes lets say on a slow machine about 2 min to run a end turn, then you make like 3 clicks taking like 30 secs and click end turn time again, Now your waiting 4 times as long as playing.

However, if each turn you had like 5 min or so of interactive events to read, or choices to make and such. Notices popping up about your kingdom and things like that, you'd spend like 5 min playing and the 2 min of waiting seems that much less, cause your playing/interacting more often. So I don't think you need more events per se, but more meaningful interaction with the game/choices to make during your turn. Just my 2 cents.
    I agree with that, good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Depends on what the scripts are, and how much they increase the quality of play. What sort of things do you have in mind?

Maybe a good script, if possible, would be to keep the AI armies together in stacks rather than having lots of little armies floating about that are easily defeated by a large player stack. I reckon a lot of computing power must be used on moving these little AI stacks about when they'd be better off on garrison duty or defending a choke point.
    I dont have anything in particular, just asking in general what people think.

Sadly not possible. You can spawn units with scripts, but they will move around on their own. Unless you take all their movement points away, then they cant move at all. No most of the turn times come from scripts not units on screen.

oops
    Last edited by Andytheplatypus; July 17, 2013 at 06:57 PM.

If you have an ally you can't normally trade with, send a merchant to operate in their territory. This can help improve your relations.

Libertus

did you guys get rid of conquistadors?

Libertus

also, does anyone know how to improve longbowman? cause, all of the english archers suck compared to the original game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain-Man View Post
    also, does anyone know how to improve longbowman? cause, all of the english archers suck compared to the original game.
    it's more realistic this way, deal with it.

Civitate

Just as an idea, roughly how many scripts are running for each turn and what sort of things are scripted?
    Under the patronage of Rhah and brother of eventhorizen.

No conquistadors.

Go to export_descr_unit in the stainless steel data folder. Find longbow men. Raise damage to whatever you want.

In 6.4 the main script is the money script for ai. Its overly complicated and increases turn times.

Libertus

how is it more realistic? The longbowman were the best archers ever. could pierce armour from a super long range, could fire 12 arrows a minute. every drawback was like lifting 200 pounds. right when i got the mod i tried a battle with retinue longbowman vs. Genoa crossbowman militia and it was almost a tie.

Ok only 1 rule on this thread. No longbow discussions. I know your new but this has all been said about 10000 times. Feel free to ask anything else about them.

Yep, there are lots, and I mean LOTS of threads discussing longbows, its kind of like lorica segmentata discussions in RTW mods
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    Fair enough about your family values preventing you from drinking, my family values prohibit me from not drinking.

Quote Originally Posted by alufdufe View Post
    If you have an ally you can't normally trade with, send a merchant to operate in their territory. This can help improve your relations.
    Does that actually work?

Quote Originally Posted by Baltic Warrior View Post
    Yep, there are lots, and I mean LOTS of threads discussing longbows, its kind of like lorica segmentata discussions in RTW mods
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...egmentata-Idea

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain-Man View Post
    how is it more realistic? The longbowman were the best archers ever. could pierce armour from a super long range, could fire 12 arrows a minute. every drawback was like lifting 200 pounds. right when i got the mod i tried a battle with retinue longbowman vs. Genoa crossbowman militia and it was almost a tie.
    one thing for sure, the english people know how to overhype up anything... just like england national football team and the epl... ups wrong discussion.

Here's an idea: would it be possible to script Merchants so they work like Metsuke in Shogun 2? So you have them in towns and they do things like increase trade or taxes in a settlement, but at the same time dropping their financial skill so they're useless as merchants. Maybe give them traits that, while reducing financial skill a huge amount, is specific for a class, representing a particular strata. For instance, have 'Favours Nobility', which increases taxes, but increases unrest. Or 'Favours Merchantry', which increases trade, but reduces law. Or 'Populare', which increases growth and happiness but reduces taxes radically. That way even if people don't want to make merchants to actively seek out resources, you could recruit them in a settlement to help develop growth, trade or taxes.

Originally Posted by alufdufe

Q: Does that actually work?

A: I've been doing it for a while. I can't prove it works, but I have noticed I often get a drop in relations if I don't replace a dead merchant. It's not a huge effect. I've noticed better
    relations with factions where I have merchants, than those with no trading activity at all. If someone has more definitive evidence I'd be glad to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonzo over Innsmouths View Post
    Here's an idea: would it be possible to script Merchants so they work like Metsuke in Shogun 2? So you have them in towns and they do things like increase trade or taxes in a settlement, but at the same time dropping their financial skill so they're useless as merchants. Maybe give them traits that, while reducing financial skill a huge amount, is specific for a class, representing a particular strata. For instance, have 'Favours Nobility', which increases taxes, but increases unrest. Or 'Favours Merchantry', which increases trade, but reduces law. Or 'Populare', which increases growth and happiness but reduces taxes radically. That way even if people don't want to make merchants to actively seek out resources, you could recruit them in a settlement to help develop growth, trade or taxes.
    Somewhat possible. It's really easy to make merchants lose finance skill when they're in a settlement. If you want them to make money while in a settlement, I don't think it's possible to make them change the details found in the settlement tab, but at the same time you can create scripts that are tied to traits the merchant possesses to add or deduct money via the console.

Quote Originally Posted by alufdufe View Post
    Originally Posted by alufdufe

Q: Does that actually work?

A: I've been doing it for a while. I can't prove it works, but I have noticed I often get a drop in relations if I don't replace a dead merchant. It's not a huge effect. I've noticed better
    relations with factions where I have merchants, than those with no trading activity at all. If someone has more definitive evidence I'd be glad to hear it.
    You're imagining things.

Quote: You're imagining things.

You're probably right. It could be other factors that just make it seem like it's happening.

How many of you think that current SS campaign map looks? Any wish lists of things to be added? What do you want changed? (not talking about settlements or factions)

Losthief's Avatar Campidoctor

If someone could learn how, i know its involved, but unique settlement battle maps for the big name places, i.e. Rome, Constantinople, Jerusalem, Baghdad etc etc could add alot to the feel of the game.
    LOSTHIEF
    I'd rather be lucky than skilled!

Quote Originally Posted by Losthief View Post
    If someone could learn how, i know its involved, but unique settlement battle maps for the big name places, i.e. Rome, Constantinople, Jerusalem, Baghdad etc etc could add alot to the feel of the game.
    That is WAY beyond my skills. I dont even understand the instructions for it. I have searched all over the M2 forums for someone who knows how to and is willing to do it for SS. Havent found anyone yet, so unless there is someone willing to learn, probably not going to happen.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast