Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Farewell to Total War

Default Farewell to Total War

Imagine that NASA launched online shop full of spaceships and other astronautic stuff. You choose one spaceship for your planned trip to Alpha Centauri. Photos and all the characteristics of product look awesome. You even call operator and she assure you that you'll get the best spaceship ever. So you pay your pretty billion dollar (yeah, that's expensive... but it's the spaceship, baby!) and you wait, and wait, and wait for delivery. Finally the official NASA delivery service appears at your door. Knock-knock! "Here's your spaceship, sir!" And they give you small childish tricycle with funny ring-ring bell. "Bon voyage to Alpha Centauri!" You stare and try to figure out what is going on. "Are you kidding me? Somebody tell me it's just another hidden camera show..."

That's what I feel now about R2TW.

CA promised us epic game, the best TW game ever. But it's not what they're showing us now. Ugly UI, 1TPY, hipperincreased cities on campaign map, absence of seasons and event movies, etc., etc. On the other hand this game is full of flying hammers, rocketing chevrons, arrowtrails, fireballs of fury, blasted away soldiers and other cool stuff that gonna make 12 years old kid say "Wow!", but will constantly remind me that I'm just playing PC game. Not so epic feeling, by the way.

Well, actually those are just minor things, I could live with them. But the thing that really piss me off is the quality of AI. It's beyond any judgement level. These's just no any AI detected in gameplay so far. Tactics, formations, manoeuvres? No way! It's still the same mob vs mob fight. But now those mobs seems to be even more Artificially Stupid and all this imitation of battle look even weirder than ever before.

CA promised us real combat, but instead we have just individuals passing across each other for half minute till one of enemy is completely wiped out (in just half minute!). In opposite situation most of individuals in units just stand still watching some of their comrades fight with enemy... and do nothing to help them (that's what I mean - here and here). I understand this behavior when you have certain formation to hold... but there's no any formation. So why individual soldiers cannot move around and surround the opposing enemy? Why soldiers tends to cluster together without any fight?

What's up with density of soldiers inside unit? It doesn't look like band of warriors. It looks like flock of sheeps on Kashgar Sunday market.

What's up with unit reaction to fireballs and chariots? Why do they keep tight formation? Why don't they switch to loose formation or perform any other counter-tricks? Do they really "think" that they can stop this ball with their shields?

What's up with suicidal, absolutely unnecessary attack of Egyptian swordsmen on much larger force of Romans? Just what the heck was that???

What's up with those balistas marching through their friendly units? Why do they even move? Why so fast? And where are they going to - right to the hands of enemy?

What's up with Egyptian fleet frozen after fight with Roman ships? Where's the promised land/naval cooperative combat?

What's up with victory? What was that "OK, let's stand here till the sign above switch to our color"? Is it freaking epic?

And chariots attacking elephants... Are you serious, CA?

The other major problem is unit control. It was always hard to track the activity and state of units in TW, it became even harder with increased speed of battles. Now there gonna be more units to play in battle (up to 40) and even navy at your service together with land army. So what CA did offer to help us manipulate all those hordes? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. There's no any formation tactics, no any tactical tasks for groups, no any intellectual behavior of particular units, no any alerts or whatever that could help you track the total situation. Nothing. You switch from army panel to navy panel and you completely lose track on another part of your forces. You order group of units to advance at right flank... just to surprisingly find them later standing somewhere on periphery of battle. You select your units one by one, move them pretty close to enemy lines and they just stand doing absolutely nothing until you manually give them order to attack certain unit of enemy. Their close friendly neighbors could be hardly losing fight with enemy unit of elephants or whatever, but all the rest of your units will just calmly stay and wait their turn.

And what's up with the camera? Why it usually positioned the way that doesn't allow you to observe the battle? Instead you stare on sky or right into hill. I guess it could be fixed with camera rotation... but what's up with default settings?

I know all those things are old chronic TW problems. But the fact that we still see it in game give us one important conclusion. It shows that CA does not have any intention to fix it. That is how they see gameplay - total mess and stupidity.

Of course, I'm wrong. Everybody knows that it's just pre-alpha... Oh, wait a minute. It's almost release time. It couldn't be pre-alpha. What's going on?... What? Demo?... Oh, thanks gods, it's just a demo. Everybody knows that this demo was specially scripted and dumbed down, and when the game will be realized it will be awesome, pretty awesome. And you know, we cannot judge game before release, in spite of any nightmare we see in promotional materials... Halleluiah! I've got my magic mantra back! It's just a demo. It's just a demo. It's just a demo...

Seriously, let's face the truth. It's not pre-aplha. It's not "just a demo". It's really how this game is supposed to be played. And it's not the game we've waited for. Not even the Total War we knew before. R2TW gonna be first in new Total Warcraft series. The bastard of false marketing ideas, Hollywoodish rubbish and work of people who don't really care about the product they're working on.

Farewell to Total War.
    Rest in peace.

Primicerius

Default Re: Farewell to Total War

LOL. What an uninformed post based on almost nothing at all. It's not like CA is reading your thread and I doubt they care.

SamueleD's Avatar Campidoctor

Is there a point to the endless wall of text? Are we supposed to somehow respond? Make you feel better? Or you just needed to let some steam out?

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

well you are always welcome back then you wish to play it....

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

Aymer de Valence's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Bye then. Whoever you are.

I'll enjoy Rome II with the majority of other people on this forum thanks.

CA promised us real combat
    Join the army
    Last edited by Aymer de Valence; July 11, 2013 at 03:30 PM.
    Cry God for Harry, England and Saint George!

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Quote Originally Posted by Aethelwulf Winterfylleth View Post
    Bye then. Whoever you are.
    This

Guys show some respect he had this account for 10 years. with only 346 posts.

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

Manuel I Komnenos's Avatar Rex Regum
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by ngr View Post
    What's up with unit reaction to fireballs and chariots? Why do they keep tight formation? Why don't they switch to loose formation or perform any other counter-tricks? Do they really "think" that they can stop this ball with their shields?
    I noticed this issue as well. The units feel unresponsive, even though the fireballs are let loose from a significant distance. The casualties caused were also horrific. These could decide a battle if properly utilized.

And chariots attacking elephants...
    Theoretically it is possible, if the horses are used to elephants (and the Ptolemaic ones are). Historically, the elephants were used especially to counter chariots (see for example battle of Antiochus III against Molon satrap of Media) so again, historically, it doesn't make much sense.
    Under the patronage of Emperor Maximinus Thrax
    "Steps to be taken in case Russia should be forced out of war considered. Various movements [of ] troops to and from different fronts necessary to meeting possible contingencies discussed. Conference also weighed political, economic, and moral effect both upon Central and Allied powers under most unfavorable aspect from Allied point of view. General conclusions reached were necessity for adoption of purely defensive attitude on all secondary fronts and withdrawing surplus troops for duty on western front. By thus strengthening western front [those attending] believed Allies could hold until American forces arrive in numbers sufficient to gain ascendancy."
    ~General Pershing, report to Washington, 26 July 1917

Posts like these are not constructive and don't belong here, yes people post gripes but they offer solutions that's what we are here for, not to cry and whine and act like the world is ending tomorrow no one cares if you buy a game or not and you have yet to play it at all so your assumptions are as invalid as the people assuming the game will be great. Bye

adios
    Quote Originally Posted by George Orwell
    “Shall the common man be pushed back into the mud, or shall he not? I myself believe, perhaps on insufficient grounds, that the common man will win his fight sooner or later, but I want it to be sooner and not later—some time within the next hundred years, say, and not some time within the next ten thousand years. That was the real issue of the Spanish war, and of the last war, and perhaps of other wars yet to come.”

Let me see......ummmmmm.......nope......don't care.

stradar1's Avatar Vicarius

I think he makes many good points its funny how every one flames someone who does not entirely agree with the Fanboyism people bring to these forums. Sad but true..... The Real sad part is the game is and does look Arcadish in so many ways. But that's my perception it may not be yours but it is mine and it feels less like a epic war game that is Total war to something like Fast and the furious you people might like how it is as of now but I don't and I have a right to feel as such .
    Last edited by stradar1; July 11, 2013 at 03:46 PM.

Heartfelt pleas like this highlighting the disappointment over the direction a computer game is going should be read by all. It really puts similar stuff like The Diary of Anne Frank into perspective.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Stath's's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Imagine that NASA launched online shop full of spaceships and other astronautic stuff. You choose one spaceship for your planned trip to Alpha Centauri. Photos and all the characteristics of product look awesome. You even call operator and she assure you that you'll get the best spaceship ever. So you pay your pretty billion dollar (yeah, that's expensive... but it's the spaceship, baby!) and you wait, and wait, and wait for delivery. Finally the official NASA delivery service appears at your door. Knock-knock! "Here's your spaceship, sir!" And they give you small childish tricycle with funny ring-ring bell. "Bon voyage to Alpha Centauri!" You stare and try to figure out what is going on. "Are you kidding me? Somebody tell me it's just another hidden camera show..."

That's what I feel now about R2TW.

CA promised us epic game, the best TW game ever. But it's not what they're showing us now. Ugly UI, 1TPY, hipperincreased cities on campaign map, absence of seasons and event movies, etc., etc. On the other hand this game is full of flying hammers, rocketing chevrons, arrowtrails, fireballs of fury, blasted away soldiers and other cool stuff that gonna make 12 years old kid say "Wow!", but will constantly remind me that I'm just playing PC game. Not so epic feeling, by the way.

Well, actually those are just minor things, I could live with them. But the thing that really piss me off is the quality of AI. It's beyond any judgement level. These's just no any AI detected in gameplay so far. Tactics, formations, manoeuvres? No way! It's still the same mob vs mob fight. But now those mobs seems to be even more Artificially Stupid and all this imitation of battle look even weirder than ever before.

CA promised us real combat, but instead we have just individuals passing across each other for half minute till one of enemy is completely wiped out (in just half minute!). In opposite situation most of individuals in units just stand still watching some of their comrades fight with enemy... and do nothing to help them (that's what I mean - here and here). I understand this behavior when you have certain formation to hold... but there's no any formation. So why individual soldiers cannot move around and surround the opposing enemy? Why soldiers tends to cluster together without any fight?

What's up with density of soldiers inside unit? It doesn't look like band of warriors. It looks like flock of sheeps on Kashgar Sunday market.

What's up with suicidal, absolutely unnecessary attack of Egyptian swordsmen on much larger force of Romans? Just what the heck was that???

What's up with those balistas marching through their friendly units? Why do they even move? Why so fast? And where are they going to - right to the hands of enemy?

What's up with Egyptian fleet frozen after fight with Roman ships? Where's the promised land/naval cooperative combat?

What's up with victory? What was that "OK, let's stand here till the sign above switch to our color"? Is it freaking epic?

And chariots attacking elephants... Are you serious, CA?

The other major problem is unit control. It was always hard to track the activity and state of units in TW, it became even harder with increased speed of battles. Now there gonna be more units to play in battle (up to 40) and even navy at your service together with land army. So what CA did offer to help us manipulate all those hordes? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. There's no any formation tactics, no any tactical tasks for groups, no any intellectual behavior of particular units, no any alerts or whatever that could help you track the total situation. Nothing. You switch from army panel to navy panel and you completely lose track on another part of your forces. You order group of units to advance at right flank... just to surprisingly find them later standing somewhere on periphery of battle. You select your units one by one, move them pretty close to enemy lines and they just stand doing absolutely nothing until you manually give them order to attack certain unit of enemy. Their close friendly neighbors could be hardly losing fight with enemy unit of elephants or whatever, but all the rest of your units will just calmly stay and wait their turn.

And what's up with the camera? Why it usually positioned the way that doesn't allow you to observe the battle? Instead you stare on sky or right into hill. I guess it could be fixed with camera rotation... but what's up with default settings?

I know all those things are old chronic TW problems. But the fact that we still see it in game give us one important conclusion. It shows that CA does not have any intention to fix it. That is how they see gameplay - total mess and stupidity.

Of course, I'm wrong. Everybody knows that it's just pre-alpha... Oh, wait a minute. It's almost release time. It couldn't be pre-alpha. What's going on?... What? Demo?... Oh, thanks gods, it's just a demo. Everybody knows that this demo was specially scripted and dumbed down, and when the game will be realized it will be awesome, pretty awesome. And you know, we cannot judge game before release, in spite of any nightmare we see in promotional materials... Halleluiah! I've got my magic mantra back! It's just a demo. It's just a demo. It's just a demo...

Seriously, let's face the truth. It's not pre-aplha. It's not "just a demo". It's really how this game is supposed to be played. And it's not the game we've waited for. Not even the Total War we knew before. R2TW gonna be first in new Total Warcraft series. The bastard of false marketing ideas, Hollywoodish rubbish and work of people who don't really care about the product they're working on.

Farewell to Total War.
    Rest in peace.
    Agreed with most of stuff here. The story with the spaceship, I was thinkng something similar to that. It seems the "best TW game ever" will never be made by CA, so we are lucky to have the mods.

Let the crowds defend CA, like it was found by their grandfathers. It makes the disappointment from the upcoming RomeII feel a bit amusing.

Mary The Quene's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by stradar1 View Post
    I think he makes many good points its funny how every one flames someone who does not entirely agree with the Fanboyism people bring to these forums. Sad but true..... The Real sad part is the game is and does look Arcadish in so many ways. But that's my perception it may not be yours but it is mine and it feels less like a epic war game that is Total war to something like Fast and the furious you people might like how it is as of now but I don't and I have a right to feel as such .
    Better fanboyish optimism the negative arrogance
    Veritas Temporis Filia

Primicerius

I think he makes many good points its funny how every one flames someone who does not entirely agree with the Fanboyism people bring to these forums. Sad but true.....
    It's a little early to judge the game completely. Especially if you consider that it's a little less than two months 'till release so they can tweak the game. The demo for E3/Rezzed was made in May or June or possibly even before. He's also made some pretty wild assumptions. The unit speed is not as fast as he says it is for example. It is slower than TWS2 and CA said it would be around the same speed as NTW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stath's View Post
    Agreed with most of stuff here. The story with the spaceship, I was thinkng something similar to that. It seems the "best TW game ever" will never be made by CA, so we are lucky to have the mods.

Let the crowds defend CA, like it was found by their grandfathers. It makes the disappointment from the upcoming RomeII feel a bit amusing.
    LOL. A little arrogant aren't we? CA did most of the work for the modders already. CA never intended to target the hardcore fanbase specifically. They're aiming for a wider margin. The perfect game is subjective. That's a fact.
    Last edited by Dan113112; July 11, 2013 at 04:53 PM.

Because he's acting like drama queen? he don't need attention to stop playing the game. its more simple then that DONT BUY IT.

|Sith|Galvanized Iron's Avatar Protector Domesticus

So you bought that spaceship from NASA too huh?
    Also responsible for the Roma Surrectum II Multiplayer mode
    Rest In Peace Colonel Muammar Gaddafi
    Forward to Victory Great Leader Assad!

stradar1's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Antipater Thrax View Post
    Better fanboyish optimism the negative arrogance
    I don't see how it is arrogance when its present in the videos and obvious how the game is looking for better or worse the game does seem to look like it is going into the wrong direction that is not arrogance or ignorance it just perception and opinion. Plus from what has been shown has not proved that the game is going in the right direction and I feel people who are paying 60 dollars for a largely anticipated game should be concerned for the game and how it turns out.

Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast