Thread: An opinion on how the Seleucid client states should work

Manuel I Komnenos's Avatar Rex Regum
    Civitate

Default An opinion on how the Seleucid client states should work

1)Administration
    -Satraps will be appointed by the King. The loyalty and traits of the King's generals or family members will be a key factor when choosing the right person. The satraps will not have dynasties. When a satrap dies, the King will be required to appoint a new one.

-Satraps will be responsible for constructing buildings, holding festivals etc but the king will be able to intervene and construct buildings of military interest, such as walls, barracks and ports in order to enhance the security of the province and its ability to supply and reinforce the royal army if it passes through it.

2)Recruitment
    -Each satrap will have his own army, but the army will be at the King's disposal whenever ordered. The procedure I've come up for, is this: through the diplomacy window, the Seleucid King will be able to request from a satrap to join his forces. Say the King is campaigning in Asia Minor and he requires additional troops. Thus, he enters the diplomacy window and orders the satrap of Media to join him with his troops. Depending on distance, that'll require a few turns. On the expected turn, the satrapal army will suddenly appear near the King's army, and it will be placed under his command. Of course that'll mean that the wages of these troops will be paid by the King and the soldiers will get angry if they stay far from home for too long.

3)Diplomacy
    -Satraps will not engage in diplomacy. A satrapy won't be able to declare war, and if attacked, the Seleucid Kingdom will automatically enter war against the aggressor. The participation of the Seleucid Kingdom in the war should be a factor to consider for the AI, when he invades a seemingly weak satrapy.

4)Rebellions
    -Rebellions should not be based on the King's traits, but rather on important events. A disastrous defeat or the ascension of a child on the throne could prompt powerful satraps to revolt. If a satrap revolts it doesn't follow that everyone else will do the same. Each satrap has different aims and goals and he'd hardly trust a rebellious satrap than the king himself.

5)Economy
    -Each satrapy will be required to pay a percent of its revenues to the King. This percent will be adjustable and if increased too much, it could prompt a rebellion of the satrap or the satrap's subjects.
    Under the patronage of Emperor Maximinus Thrax
    "Steps to be taken in case Russia should be forced out of war considered. Various movements [of ] troops to and from different fronts necessary to meeting possible contingencies discussed. Conference also weighed political, economic, and moral effect both upon Central and Allied powers under most unfavorable aspect from Allied point of view. General conclusions reached were necessity for adoption of purely defensive attitude on all secondary fronts and withdrawing surplus troops for duty on western front. By thus strengthening western front [those attending] believed Allies could hold until American forces arrive in numbers sufficient to gain ascendancy."
    ~General Pershing, report to Washington, 26 July 1917

Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: An opinion on how the Seleucid client states should work

I think whatever mechanic they've built for the client-state system will apply to all factions so I don't think they will specfically customise anything for the Seleucids. But I do agree that the ruling faction should have greater control over vassal states. I would like it if their diplomacy was hobbled and you can negotiate and re-negotiate specific financial terms of the vassalage.