Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Staff Guide] Admins

Vipman's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: [Gaming Staff Guide] Admins

I'm very sorry I didn't post this long time ago, I don't know why I didn't think of it.

Now I realized I made tests and explanations for the hotseat settings long time ago but never posted it, stupid me

The settings themselves are recommended for not-played-on-the-same-computer hotseats, PBEM or like here on TWC, explanations are to understand what they do. I'm sure it's not 100% correct, there are stuff I missed or mistakes, but it's the best I could do.

scroll = 1 ## 0 disables start turn scroll in hotseat campaign UNLESS passwords for players are enabled, 0 value also enables playing defensive battles vs AI
    turns = 1 ## 0 disables forced separate human faction turns (including diplomacy)
    disable_console = 1 ## 0 lets anyone access the console without requiring admin password
    admin_password = password ## admin password to be able to use console commands
    passwords = 1 ## 1 enables player passwords
    autoresolve_battles = 0 ## 1 disables ability to play battles on battlefield
    disable_papal_elections = 1 ## 0 enables voting in papal elections (only first valid human faction votes), with value 1 the pope is elected automatically by AI
    update_ai_camera = 1 ## 1 makes the camera move to each faction's capital at the start of each player's turn
    validate_diplomacy = 1 ## 0 disables diplomacy validation for incoming propositions (I forgot what it means, but value 1 is recommended for TWC HS's)
    save_prefs = 1 ## 1 makes these hotseat settings be saved in the savegame, this is required to prevent cheating by accessing console
    validate_data = 1 ## 1 checks if the mod files are the same as the person that created the HS save, this is required to prevent cheating and bugs/CTD's during the HS
    allow_validation_failures = 0 ## 0 will give CTD if savegame or data validation fails, this is required to prevent cheating and bugs/CTD's during the HS

Code version in spoiler to use to copy-paste in text file/cfg file for better viewing and read easier
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Code:
    [hotseat]
    scroll = 1                       ## 0 disables start turn scroll in hotseat campaign UNLESS passwords for players are enabled, 0 value also enables playing defensive battles vs AI
    turns = 1                        ## 0 disables forced separate human faction turns (including diplomacy)
    disable_console = 1              ## 0 lets anyone access the console without requiring admin password
    admin_password = password        ## admin password to be able to use console commands
    passwords = 1                    ## 1 enables player passwords
    autoresolve_battles = 0          ## 1 disables ability to play battles on battlefield
    disable_papal_elections = 1      ## 0 enables voting in papal elections (only first valid human faction votes), with value 1 the pope is elected automatically by AI
    update_ai_camera = 1             ## 1 makes the camera move to each faction's capital at the start of each player's turn
    validate_diplomacy = 1           ## 0 disables diplomacy validation for incoming propositions (I forgot what it means, but value 1 is recommended for TWC HS's)
    save_prefs = 1                   ## 1 makes these hotseat settings be saved in the savegame, this is required to prevent cheating by accessing console
    validate_data = 1                ## 1 checks if the mod files are the same as the person that created the HS save, this is required to prevent cheating and bugs/CTD's during the HS
    allow_validation_failures = 0    ## 0 will give CTD if savegame or data validation fails, this is required to prevent cheating and bugs/CTD's during the HS

The last 2 settings validate_data and allow_validation_failures will prevent cheating by modifying files but will cause CTD's if a player doesn't have the exact same mod data as the hotseat creator.
    Last edited by Vipman; October 11, 2014 at 09:16 AM.

Dux's Avatar Warden of Westeros
    Gaming Emeritus

Thanks! Want to give you rep but can't. Updated OP.

Macrath's Avatar Domesticus

Thera Legacy of the Great Torment Factions

1)Sicily- Privateers
    2)Poland- Dracule
    3)England- Avalon
    4)France- Meravangi
    5)Denmark- Men of Valhalla
    6)Portugal- Hispania
    7)HRE- Faustian Reich
    8)Moors- Tahar Caliphate
    9)Aztecs- Paynal
    10)Milan- Kukulcan
    11)Scotland- Gaelic Nations
    12)Egypt- Barka Sultunate
    13)Byzantium- Romuli
    14)Venice- Pale Knights
    15)Spain- Ducado
    16)Timurids- Sycorax
    17)Normans- Turonic Order
    18)Russia- Wotan
    19)Mongols- Lao Che
    20)Turks- Vashta
    21)Saxons- Uruk Dominion

Elder Scrolls Total War
    England- Tamriel Empire
    Spain- Clan of the Crowned
    Venice- Kingdom of Daggerfall
    Mongols- Kingdom of Wayrest
    Sicily- Great House Hlaalu
    Milan- Tribunal Temple
    Scotland- The Kingdom of Skyrim
    Byzantium- Aldmeri Dominion
    Russia- Clans of the Blackmarsh
    Moors- Clan of the Forebears
    Turks- Kingdom of Pelletine
    Egypt- Kingdom of Anequina
    Denmark- Orsinium
    Portugal- Great House Dagoth
    Poland- Great House Redoran
    Hungary- Great House Telvanni
    Timurids- Great House Dres
    Saxons- Undead
    Last edited by Macrath; April 13, 2015 at 12:44 AM.

Tiro
    in a plane flying lightspeed from hotseat world to hotseat world
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Is there a way to give factions the ability to train other factions units ( Venice captures Genoa , and can after controlling settlement for 5 turns can recruit Genoese crossbowmen)

Dux's Avatar Warden of Westeros
    Gaming Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by english RAF commander View Post
    Is there a way to give factions the ability to train other factions units ( Venice captures Genoa , and can after controlling settlement for 5 turns can recruit Genoese crossbowmen)
    Only if you mod that, you cannot do this with the admin console.

I am hosting a hotseat as the admin, if someone could tell me how to execute a general/s.. kill_character doesnt work. Please help me, i cannot find an answer to this!

Vipman's Avatar Protector Domesticus

It seems kill_character only works in scripts, to kill a character you could do like this: on that faction's turn if it has any ship (if not buy a mercenary one and compensate the money), create a cog with the console command, move it out to separate it, use the move_character to either teleport the character you want to kill or the ship to get them close, board the character on the ship, teleport the ship near some rebel ships somewhere on the map, save the game, try attacking the ships until the cog with the character sinks. Check this guide (first post) to see how to make the commands work.

joerock22's Avatar Leader of Third Age HS
    Citizen

Here is one method to kill generals:

1. Place the general in the field by himself
    2. Transport the general near a rebel or AI army using move_character
    3. Attack the rebel or AI army
    4. If the general doesn't die, reset his MP using character_reset
    5. Attack the rebel or AI army again
    6. Rinse and repeat until the general is dead

I'm sure there are other ways to do it, but this one I've found works for me.

Hey, a much more easier way reached my ears and it works just fine, a guy told me what to do, here's what he wrote to me:

"1) Pick two generals, one that you wish to execute, and one random one with higher command than the first one;

2) Join them together and use up ALL movement points of the general you want to kill (he must end joined to the other general);

3) Right click the Army tab, which is located in the center-bottom, it's next to the fleet and agent tab;

4) Search for your general, click him, and move him anywhere on the map.

This should result in his death. Remember that for this to work, you need to have a higher command general, so that he is the leading general.

HUGE props to Adanadhel! This method works just fine and its much more easier than finding rebela and using Lots of console commands.

P.S.: Please note that this works with any General BUT The faction leader. It seems to be that no matter how low you set The King's command, he'll always be The leading General. But hey, all this Hard work with The console just got minimized to The faction leader only!.

This is a method every administración should take note indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ax-man View Post
    Hey, a much more easier way reached my ears and it works just fine, a guy told me what to do, here's what he wrote to me:

"1) Pick two generals, one that you wish to execute, and one random one with higher command than the first one;

2) Join them together and use up ALL movement points of the general you want to kill (he must end joined to the other general);

3) Right click the Army tab, which is located in the center-bottom, it's next to the fleet and agent tab;

4) Search for your general, click him, and move him anywhere on the map.

This should result in his death. Remember that for this to work, you need to have a higher command general, so that he is the leading general.

HUGE props to Adanadhel! This method works just fine and its much more easier than finding rebela and using Lots of console commands.

P.S.: Please note that this works with any General BUT The faction leader. It seems to be that no matter how low you set The King's command, he'll always be The leading General. But hey, all this Hard work with The console just got minimized to The faction leader only!.

This is a method every administración should take note indeed.
    Sorry for the mess of my phone's corrector that somehow set itself on Spanish. Hope you caught it all.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

The OP is a mile long and I am not really a HS person, so I would like for someone knowledgeable to review my CFG file entries that I have been using in all of my mods as well as the Bare Geomod set up. Do some settings need different values or even additional entries?
    Code:
    [multiplayer]
    playable = 1                        # multi player enabled
    factions = 1                        # first faction selected as default

[hotseat]
    passwords = 0                        # use individual passwords for players
    turns = 0                            # force separate human faction turns (including diplomacy) in hotseat campaign
    autoresolve_battles = 1                # force autoresolve for all battles in hotseat campaign
    disable_console = 0                    # disable console in hotseat campaign.
    disable_papal_elections = 1            # disable voting in papal elections in hotseat campaign (only first valid human faction votes)
    save_prefs = 1                        # force relevant hotseat options to be saved with game.
    save_config = 1                        # save config file in save dir containing information about next players turn
    update_ai_camera = 1                # enable camera updates during ai turn in hotseat campaign
    validate_diplomacy = 1                # enable diplomacy validation for incoming propositions
    scroll = 0                            # show start turn scroll in hotseat campaign
    admin_password = password             # specify password for administrator access to the dev console when console disabled. Change 'password' to a suitable password
    autosave = 1                        # autosave hotseat game at start of players turn
    close_after_save = 0                # close medieval II directly after a hotseat autosave
    gamename = hotseat_gamename            # sub directory name for hotseat save games
    validate_data = 1                    # ensure game data files used in previous save match current campaign data files
    allow_validation_failures = 0        # prevent game to load if savegame or data validations fail
    disable_console is set to zero as some mods are actually run in hotseat mode to make use of the faction control change ability.
    Last edited by Gigantus; March 22, 2021 at 06:47 AM.

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

See Vipman's post 21, he sheds some light on what exactly some of the lines do

Seesm good, lot of things are of course optional to the taste of a host (such as disable_console, autoresolve_battles, password), so there is no right settings. (and in most mods you can also disable/enable them when starting the campaign anyway)

However, allow_validation_failures, validate_data, save_prefs (and I assume also save_config) are very important to avoid different versions of the game being used, to possibly avoid cheating and so on, and you got them correctly (I assume this setting affects why my saves are not compatible when testing triggers, despite all the other modders saying that they can still load the saves ). Never seeb save_config, I assume its similar to save_prefs so should be 1.

For competitive hotseats, disable_console should def be 1, otherwise players can cheat. (but i believe they cant open the console anyway when there is a set admin password, but not 100% on that right now).

passwords should be set to 1 as well, otherwise players can see each other's turns

We do hotseats with both, autoresolve and manual battles, so that is entirely optional.

I assume if one was really stressing this out, update_ai_camera should be 1, so next player in turn order wouldnt know where was the previous player looking . Though, also if the map is big, it might take some time to move camere to your regions, so yea, should be 1.

and validate_diplomacy should be one as you have it. The players can choose to accept/decline/alter propositions on their turns. I assume if its set to 0, the AI would do it instead on the proposer's turn, but not 100% either

Also curious myself about "factions". I assume that might affect whether the turn order in descr_strat is kept, or whether it moves all human factions to the beginning of the turn, hence that all human factions turns are together, and AI turns are together (which is the case in hotseats). It might have also something to do with the fact, that when a first (human) faction in turn order is destroyed, it breaks the quicksaves, they can no longer be made ....
    Last edited by Jadli; April 24, 2021 at 02:38 PM.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Thanks for the detailed review.
    'factions' defines the preselected faction(s) when you open the faction selection screen. Changing the number selects other and even multiple factions on that screen afaik: 1=faction1, 2=faction2, 3= faction1 and faction2 or something to that effect. No idea for what purpose as you can manually select and deselect any number of factions.

Edit: my bad, didn't realize the thread was closed. Do move the posts as you see fit.
    Last edited by Gigantus; March 22, 2021 at 08:32 AM.

Gaming Emeritus

Ah, I see.

Np, this thread wasnt supposed to be closed afaik, so going to unlock it.

Gaming Emeritus

If someone wants to limit reloading in his campaign, feel free to use this simple script, that accomplishes it
    Code:
    monitor_event FactionTurnStart FactionIsLocal
        enable_save
    end_monitor

monitor_event CharacterSelected
        disable_save
    end_monitor

monitor_event SettlementSelected
        disable_save
    end_monitor
    This disables the "save game" button (disables quick saves as well) the moment you select any general or settlement, and enables it at the beginning of a next turn, so that a hotseater can save the game at the moment the faction scroll with a password for next faction shows up. Obviously, the player can always start over from the beginning, but assuming he has to do lot of battles/stuff, it will be pretty effective to not let him, without spending additional hours on it. So essentially, the ability to make saves during player's turn is disabled.

You easily implement it, just add this to campaign_script.txt (located in /data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign) anywhere between "script" and "wait_monitors" lines. Only admin needs to do hit. Also disable autosaves, via your mod cfg file. Under hotseat section add/change "autosave = 0", because otherwise a save would be made each time a player press next turn. (and hence a player could use it to save his progress)

I also know how to fix a few cheats/exploits, but it might be better not to post it, so in case you are an admin let me know and I can show you. Also, if anyone got some more ideas what to change in game mechanics to "enrich" the experience, or to fix some bugs/exploits, let me know, I may be able to find a way
    Last edited by Jadli; April 23, 2021 at 01:39 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12