Thread: Searching Crew for Ultimate Fantasy Project

Default Searching Crew for Ultimate Fantasy Project

Hi Everbody!
    I've been playing the Total War series since Medieval and recently bought the "Eras" collection to be sure to have really everything about Total War. Seen that I hoped pretty much the next installment to be a fantasy game, I was just a bit sad hearing that, instead, there will be a Mediaval II next.
    However, I am really mad about strategy games, so I finally developed a turn based internet game, à la Risk!, which had quite a success, but I really want more. So I tried to make a mod of the Rome: Total War mod "Middle-Earth: Total War" (a mod of a mod, yes, silly, i Know) but I did not succeed. The problem is...the whole game concept is already done, I just need someone who understands how to create a cool compaign map and units...someone who understand how to really re-adapt the game.

So, I really need help and hope to find it soon, maybe among you people!

Let me know, as soon as possible!

PS. For further information just ask!

spirit_of_rob's Avatar The force is my ally

Default Re: Searching Crew for Ultimate Fantasy Project

The best idea is is to look through the tutorials and look into learning how to mod, at least some areas you dont need to be an expert in all of them but some knowledge is hughly benificial from my experiance mods that are led by people with little to no modding ability rarely get further than proposal.

Still that been said good luck
    Former Skinner/Modeller for EB Former Skinner/Modeller for Hegemonia

Patrician Opifex under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I and patron of the Opifex Tone

That's why I need help! It really is a huge project, these days I was thinkin' about delaying it till MII comes out, but...still don't know. However, where can I find a GOOD tutorial? Cause I downloaded the "ETFullToolModCollection", but really have about no idea how to use it well (i tried, but did not succeed)...

spirit_of_rob's Avatar The force is my ally

Okay well you can learn how to mod before Medi II as that will help you if you decide to do it for this game instead.

Which area interest you?

Unit making - Creating New Textures, or New 3d Models (what i do)
    Coding - The Text files (only know really basic stuff)
    Map Making (dont know anything)
    Former Skinner/Modeller for EB Former Skinner/Modeller for Hegemonia

Patrician Opifex under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I and patron of the Opifex Tone

The idea in my mind is a complete modification of the game.
    I need a new (much bigger) map, new regions, new units (this will probably be the most difficult aspect), a new tecnology tree...so to say, just the engine of RTW will remain.

Oh, and I need much much experience in modding first, as you said. Any idea how to get that?

Join an existant mod and work with them for a few months. If you are actually serious about this that is by far the quickest and best way to learn. If you supplement that by reading tutorials you will be at the very least a decent modder by the time M2 comes out

How many teams are actually workin' on a mod for RTW and how many of them would recruit me?

I think the list will be poor, still hope remains!
    And suggestions?

Hi there Calo,

The first step is try some simple modification by yourself. You may already have done this, but if you haven't:

Start small. Try changing a characters name, try changing the stats of a unit.
    Build from there. Try adding your own new unit using exisiting models and textures, try editing the campaign map slightly.

You can see where this is going. Start small and work your way up. There are loads of tutorials out there to help. If you need help with something specific, myself or I'm sure someone else here can point you to a detailed and good tutorial.

Once you've done some modding yourself, mod teams will be willing to have you, and that's when you'll get real experience of modding the game. Good luck
    RTW Multiplayer Campaign RELEASE - Download (Yes, its released and playable! Play in campaign mode across the net!) See some of the games being played here
    New version of: More than one turn per year for RTW (Change the number of turns in one year, more than one winter per year possible)

Quote Originally Posted by Myrddraal
    Hi there Calo,

The first step is try some simple modification by yourself. You may already have done this, but if you haven't:

Start small. Try changing a characters name, try changing the stats of a unit.
    Build from there. Try adding your own new unit using exisiting models and textures, try editing the campaign map slightly.

You can see where this is going. Start small and work your way up. There are loads of tutorials out there to help. If you need help with something specific, myself or I'm sure someone else here can point you to a detailed and good tutorial.

Once you've done some modding yourself, mod teams will be willing to have you, and that's when you'll get real experience of modding the game. Good luck
    As I wrote before, I already tried something out, for example I began modding the compaign map from RTW, but somehow the program didn't work properly (it didn't save the changes I applied). I opened a program to mod/edit troops and i kinda figured out how it works, but eventually never saved any changes.

What I really need, now, is a tutorial on how to mod the campaign map. That's were I always have started and that's were I think I should start now. Later on, i could create some textures for new troops.

By the way, I just want to ask: are flying troops possible to be made? Wizards? What about a "world map" where, if you go to est, you arrive into the west of the map? These things I though would give my "mod" a definitly unique aspect (a part from the wizards maybe).

I hope Total War never makes a fantasy game. Stay with History CA!

Quote Originally Posted by Celebandune
    As I wrote before, I already tried something out, for example I began modding the compaign map from RTW, but somehow the program didn't work properly (it didn't save the changes I applied). I opened a program to mod/edit troops and i kinda figured out how it works, but eventually never saved any changes.
    did you use the map editor program? I think it has bugs. Find some tutorials in the modding resources forum about hand-making the campaign map. don't use the program, because even I couldn't make it work, due to bugs.

What I really need, now, is a tutorial on how to mod the campaign map. That's were I always have started and that's were I think I should start now. Later on, i could create some textures for new troops.
    again, see the tutorials and start doing minor changes and see if it works.

By the way, I just want to ask: are flying troops possible to be made? Wizards? What about a "world map" where, if you go to est, you arrive into the west of the map? These things I though would give my "mod" a definitly unique aspect (a part from the wizards maybe).
    sorry, but flying troops are not possible in the RTW engine. neither that going from east and arrive west of the map.

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

Moved to The Great Hall.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader Invasion
    I hope Total War never makes a fantasy game. Stay with History CA!
    Why not? I think it would be fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    did you use the map editor program? I think it has bugs. Find some tutorials in the modding resources forum about hand-making the campaign map. don't use the program, because even I couldn't make it work, due to bugs.

again, see the tutorials and start doing minor changes and see if it works.

sorry, but flying troops are not possible in the RTW engine. neither that going from east and arrive west of the map.
    What a pitty. Okay, I can live without'em.

Where can I find these tutorials? You all speak about tutorials, but no one gives me a valid link.

Edit: All right, I just downloaded a few tools. but still don't find those f-ing tutorials. Where can I find some?
    Last edited by Celebandune; September 05, 2006 at 05:26 AM.

Totally demoralized (just like they killed my general). The textures are absolutely impossible to manage! How do you guys do that?

Please, I really need a tutorial!

You could try this subforum: The Mod Workshop

You could also use this: Totalwar.org Tutorials database
    Automating RTW Coding and Balancing with PHP and MySQL (online)

Lead developer of:

Latest RoP Release: ROP v2.2
    Under the Patronage of the magnificent Rez

Ok, very helpfull...

I'm trying to start, although a few University Exams will make it even harder to progress. I started doin' the factions' banners, but don't know exactly how many of them I've gotta do. A few of them are in \loading_screens\, some are in other folders, but I fear to forget some...could someone please tell me where to find them all.

PS. While I'm waiting for M2:TW I'm doin' all of this for BIm, so consider this.