Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crashing during battles./Help&Tipps

Default Re: Crashing during battles./Help&Tipps

I had this on my old PC which was 3.2 Dual Core with GTX 260 Video Card 784mb 64bit Vista and 8G of RAM. The weird thing is I would see it sometimes very soon in small battles.

I have not seen in yet on my new PC which is 3.4 Quadcore with GTX 670 4GB 64bit Windows 7 and 16GM of RAM.

I had this theory before that is would happen when my units were attacking uphill with the enemy concealed behind fences and stonewalls, but never fully researched it.

Is there anything in the mod that affects the way units interact with stonewalls or fences difference from standard ETW?

Wonder if the crash might have something to do with sound?

Just asking because a second or two before the actual CTD what happens is that it seems to get stuck in a loop of whatever sound is on at that moment in the battle.

I had this theory before that is would happen when my units were attacking uphill with the enemy concealed behind fences and stonewalls, but never fully researched it.

Is there anything in the mod that affects the way units interact with stonewalls or fences difference from standard ETW?
    Not that i know of but it might be a problem because of the bigger number. So maybe this is a source of the problem but i think there is more.

Some specs of my system are: Windows 7, 4 GB RAM, 64 bits, Core 2 Duo 2.93 GHZ windows experience index 5.9 , Display adapter is Geforce 9600 GT
    I am playing with all graphics low or turned off.
    I really would love to hear from a modder about the LOD file issue. Seriously if someone of you is reading this can you tell me what exactly is the status on that issue. Some say it is solved some say the LOD files are still missing on all units. And who wounders if the game crashes if all uniforms of every man in line are still getting loaded in the same resolution when zoomed out as if you are zoomed in. This would explain the for me obvious Out of memory issue which it seams has such big effect that even 64 bit users have this problem. If it is the LOD issue please someone inform the people about it if not at least someone could give a statement.

I have nearly to zero crashes now. Made some Ini. stuff and edited the B&Glauncher.exe so that it can use more than 2 Gig space of RAM. However there probably is a limit the game can't handle anymore even if you have the RAM avaible. Probably between 4 and 5 i would guess.

I would love to hear a statement Minas Shokh Hinkel Chief etc!

The one thing that makes me think it is not a memory issue, is that I have seen it in small battles previously when I click on a unit to be attacked. I've gotten this in the first battle of the campaign for Kentucky while playing as a Rebel.

Maybe it happens more in bigger/longer battles is because whatever is occurring has more a of a chance to happen with more units over time.

There is some hope.
    I am playing the USA campaign with version 3.41 and in the last few days I have not had a single CTD. And believe me, it's now 1864 and I have gone through some really large battles trying to conquer the Kentucky area. EDIT: Ok, yesterday had one CTD; there seems to be some correlation between the duration of the battle and the possibilities of this happening; so one should try to avoid large battles that go on for too long.

What has changed since last time:

I downloaded and applied Glary utilities (don't know if this has anything to do with it).
    and mainly I think it's that I am now using RAZER GAME BOOSTER. Also I must say while playing I am disconnected from the internet (yes, it is possible to launch Steam and play without being connected with this game, don't know about NTW EDIT: It looks like to launch steam one does have to be online. After launching steam successfully then one can disconnect from internet and play normally).
    Also remember I have all graphics options on Lowest.

I also try not to screw around too much during those large battles, but it's almost unavoidable so probably this has nothing to do with no crashes much either. I definitively think that what is helping mostly is Razer Game Booster and probably being off-line whilst playing.
    Last edited by General Gordon; July 26, 2013 at 06:18 AM.

Darth_Revan's Avatar Primicerius

Has anyone else had a CTD during the middle of a freakin large important battle? .. Using 3.5 beta. This happens frequently, even after multiple fresh installations.

Specs: i7 3630QM @ 2.40 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit Win8, Nvidia GTX 660m 2gb.

Trig's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Revan View Post
    Has anyone else had a CTD during the middle of a freakin large important battle? .. Using 3.5 beta. This happens frequently, even after multiple fresh installations.

Specs: i7 3630QM @ 2.40 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit Win8, Nvidia GTX 660m 2gb.
    Many did. Try reducing the graphic settings and use one of the lighter smoke packs.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...MOD-Smoke-Mods

click banner for ModDB page and all ACW versions download links

Darth_Revan's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    Many did. Try reducing the graphic settings and use one of the lighter smoke packs.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...MOD-Smoke-Mods
    Thanks for your reply.

I was initially using the default smoke pack, I can run the game on all high both AA and antistropic filter on and off at 50 fps or higher. Should I still lower the settings?

Some crashes are mysterious,w e have no clue what causes them and occur even in resource-light small battles.

But many are due to stress for the processor and memory. So test the situation. if you don't get anymore crashes even at higher settings, keep them. Otherwise try lower.

I reduced battle time limit to 20 min and now i don't have any crashes anymore. Which means that fixed it but its not perfect.

This would be an awesome mod. But it constantly crashes. I have no lag and then boom game minimizes to desktop. No error message or anything. Just crashes to desktop.

Running an Windows 7 - 64 Bit, Intel I7 3.20 GHZ Quad Core, 16GB of ram. Nvidia 670 4GB of ram.

Don't think it's my system. I really hope this mod gets fixed. If not it's a shame that it crashes. I tried all the fixes and lower the settings to nothing. 5 - 10 minutes into battle. Crash To desktop.

Foederatus

Change your AA from tri to bi it helped with me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Laetus

General Gordon is right. Razer Game Booster does help, big time. 8 hours without crash for me including few bigger battles. Trust me I've tried every recommended option and seems like Razer Game Booster is the only one working for me so far. Still doesn't remove the problem but looks like its helping somehow.

Default Crashing during battles./Help&Tipps

Just discovered this mod, loving it, but now am discovering the CTDs.
    I've ran some really big battles, all settings maxed, MechDonalds smoke mod and had no CTD. Then I will have one in a small battle. I've been running Game Booster for years, but not sure if it's Razor, I think it's just called Game Booster. Overall not a lot of crashes but enough to be annoying. Personally I just can't play if I'm not able use ultra settings and smoke mods, I love immersion, I loathe and never use those giant 40ft flags hovering over my units (amazed at how many do!)

I'm really curious about the ini editing mentioned, anyone have details?

I'd like to find a fix because along with TAR this is the greatest Empire mod.

Oi, found this:

"Follow these instructions for the ETW workaround for 32 bit systems experiencing this user-memory limit. Its exactly the same for S2:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=238484

Note you only have to do the one alteration for the ini.boot file and you're done. All TW titles since ETW are already issued Large Address Aware (LAA). Again, this is for 32 bit windows users only: THIS WILL NOT HAVE ANY EFFECT ON 64-BIT USERS so if you have 64 bit Windows with issues, it is the result of something else. Post a Dxdiag and let us have a look!"

I'm a 64bit and having erratic crashes that do not suggest a memory/ram issue.

After playing more this battle crash is really odd. Sucks because this the best ETW mod ever. I have had the most awesome battles, eclipsing even the ones I experienced in LME for NTW with 40 units per; the AI, projectile settings, the sound, the morale settings, the units, everything makes for great game play.

After taking down the grass and shadows down and turning off HDR, volumetric fog and distortion effects as suggested (I had great frame rates with them on btw) I am still crashing, but when I'm crashing makes no sense.

As I posted elsewhere, I use 40 units per army, 320 men per unit, I also use a fairly heavy smoke mod. Last night I played a massive battle in the rain; 6500 Confederate troops vs 8800 Union troops, the battle lasted 51 minutes, everything was fine.

This morning I fought a skirmish, clear weather, 560 Confederates vs 400 Union, 20 minutes in, 1 Union unit left, on the verge of routing, artillery had stopped firing, no troops moving, my camera was stationary (before the crashes were occurring during movement) I was just waiting for it to rout and end battle. Crash.

Makes no sense.

I've got the crash .mdmp file, but I have no idea how to open it or read what's in it. Anyone know how or can point me to a thread where this is discussed?

Thanks.

Well, there are several theories/guesses:

- One is a memory leak, as the crash chance increases the longet a battle's been going on.
    - One is poorly configured lods on older ACW models, entirely missing for some units and an overabundance of unit textures (vanilla only uses a handful, in ACW nearly every unit has its own).
    - Another is some sound files may be causing it, as often a looping sound is heard before a crash.

The odd thing is, I have actualy experienced a lot less crashes just when reducing AA and non-unit graphics settings (sky, water, grass, etc). By a lot I mean, previously 1 in 4 battles crashed, afterwards I've had 2 or 3 crashes in total over a couple weeks.
    I'd say it's not directly related to the amount of units in a battle, but more with unit detail, or zoom, or how many units in view, etc. For instance I've had similar crashes in Shogun2 as well. Almost never when zoomed out, but on a few occasions, towards the end of the battle, mopping up runners zoomed in I'd get same CTD as in ETW:ACW.

Hope any of this helps in your hunt!

Thanks, I am learning this all from scratch. I have downloaded Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 to be able to open the mdmp file, but I am now getting an error that my mdmp file has been corrupted (apparently there is no solution I am reading), so I may have to play ACW until I get another crash file generated.

After I get it open I don't know what I'm looking for ha, but I do have some friends who do programming and the like so I will call on them once I get it open.

I've been looking for a good thread about analyzing mdmp files on here but can't seem to find one, if anyone knows of one please share the link. Surely with all the mods and all the crashes over the years someone has posted about this.

Got the same problems with crashing during battles.

Gutted as well i was the Confederate states kicking a Union Army out of Virgina it was epic just finished mopping up the remainder of the Union Army and then crashed.

I will try Razor Game booster to see if it helps any.

Nobody knows what is causing battle crashes, but in my experience, they have been greatly reduced when I have lowered the graphics settings, particularly the "anti-aliasing" and "texture filtering".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast