Thread: The IBFD map in Vanilla.

Default The IBFD map in Vanilla.

Been trying to place the IBFD map in the Vanilla BI game. The vanilla BI map is a little dull.

Unfortunately I'm now stuck with a kick back to menu. "DATABASE_TABLE error found : unrecognized record id requested". Unfortunately it doesn't give specific info. The problem starts when the campaign dates are read in the descr_strat.
    Proculus: Divine Caesar, PLEASE! What have I done? Why am I here?
    Caligula: Treason!
    Proculus: Treason? I have always been loyal to you!
    Caligula: [laughs insanely] That IS your treason! You're an honest man, Proculus, which means a bad Roman! Therefore, you are a traitor! Logical, hmm? Ha, ha, ha!

Default Re: The IBFD map in Vanilla.

I'm afraid my mapping skills are highly limited, so I don't think I can be of much help. It's probably best to try and ask in the Rome Workshop section.

Thanks Joar. I've noticed this before,. for me inserting the troops of an alternate mod is "easy enough. But I have yet to have success inserting the map of an alternate mod into another. At the moment I've gone back to modding vanilla BI which is easy enough so I can get some time to actually play.
    Caligula: [laughs insanely] That IS your treason! You're an honest man, Proculus, which means a bad Roman! Therefore, you are a traitor! Logical, hmm? Ha, ha, ha!

Hmmm! I found a game I was working on some time ago. This features the IBFD map combined with the units from FOR. To spice it up I'd added Burgundian, Alan and Vandal hoards in the Rhineland. I merged the Gallic rebels to the Romano-Brits to return the west and east rebels to their re-emergent vanilla stance. I had the Romano-Brits as Allies so it will be them as the Gallic breakaway group that will cop the three hoards. The alliance with them fell to neutral on the next term. I had the Goths as Allies in the vain hope they'd wander out of Italy. Instead on the next turn they broke the alliance and besieged Rome. The West Roman units scatted around as brigades vanilla strength cavalry, 120 strong Lego's, with the auxiliary cohorts and archers at 60 strong. Peasants and Arcubalistarii I have as small weak cheap civil defense forces at 30 strong. I've beefed up the hoards and the Romans look pretty thin on the ground.
    Looks like more of a challenge than the Vanilla games I've been playing the past few weeks. Foederati have to be hired as mercenaries and retrained in AOR style mercenary forts with their recruiting turns set to 15.

Vanilla BI has a nice Spartan look about it but ultimately it sucks as a strategy game, I found myself using the cheap 120 strong peasants beefed up by a foundry. Those beefed up vanilla peasants are cheap dynamite, which is why I dropped them to 30 strength in my Mod.

Sounds interesting. It would be nice to see some screenshots of some of the action.

Screenshots? I don't know this screenshot thingy too well? Ok, print screen, got TGA, convert TGA to JPG.

I took this snap in Spain while I was putting down rebellions. The Sarmations, Goths and Vandals are all at war with each other and should be tearing each other to pieces, but seem to be conspiring. For some reason they've walked through the Romano-Brit Gallic empire and only sacked two cities. Both of which got sacked twice. I was hoping they'd beat up the Gallic Empire so I could pick up the pieces. Although the Goths are allied to the Romano-Brits so maybe they're holding the other two at bay. The Goths sacked Rome and then moved to Gaul.
    Do you think I should beef up Tarraco's defenses?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg  
    Last edited by wulfgar610; August 02, 2013 at 02:43 AM.

Thanks. So you're using vanilla units and the IBFD map?

Quote Originally Posted by wulfgar610 View Post
    Do you think I should beef up Tarraco's defenses?
    No, just rely on peaceful negotiations.

Quote Originally Posted by Joar View Post
    Thanks. So you're using vanilla units and the IBFD map?

Well no the copy I found is something I was working some time ago and semi forgot about. Originally I put FOR units in RIO but I got bored with Ice Torques map, so I put the IBFD map in. The strategic map models are from FOR. The buildings seem to be RIO. Fortunately the hoards turned on each other and chewed each other up a bit. But a Visigothic horde took Tarraco which was only defended by 2 damaged scorpion crews, 2 damaged militia, and a couple of part Arcubalistarii and a family member. It was an instant hit by the Goths who magically got seige gear on the immediate turn. The Goths asked for peace when I sent a couple of half stacks that way.......cowards!

No, just rely on peaceful negotiations
    In BI that consists of multiple stacks of troops I don't have!

I see you've got the interface a bit mixed up, but perhaps that's intentional?

Quote Originally Posted by Joar View Post
    I see you've got the interface a bit mixed up, but perhaps that's intentional?
    I'm not too sure which is what. In most cases I switched back to vanilla building faces where I could. I also added christian heresy buildings, pelagian, donatist and arian. The Romo-Brits are Pelagian, I've capture two of the Gallic empires cities without declaring war. I stuff them full of spies, and place christian fanatic generals within their borders to get them to rebel. My Spy in the east has noticed the Roxalani on the easten boarders of the Sassinids are still called "Picts" from RIO.

The Vandals, Goths and Sarmations are mulling around Tarraco. The other two are much reduced but the Goths are still very strong. I've had the odd Vandals and Sarmations pushed across my Spanish border I've had to take care of. The Eastern Empire is at war with me, I defeated them in the last battle but my army is too beaten up and the Huns have pushed the Ostrogoths across my borders.

I'm going back to basics with Vanilla BI, the hordes are just too wimpy and the western Romans get too rich from all the RIO economic buildings. So I plan to raise to raise the heath of horde units to "2". I'm putting in some units from FOR. The Aux cohors, the dart throwing legionaries from FOR. And the Aux Palatinii because I can't the plate armored vanilla. Another unit I don't like is steppe cav for the goths and vandals, so putting javelin armed cav from FOR.

I think I'll just have the one legionary unit and edit out the palatinii Lego and the plumbatari.

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Hey could you guys tell me how to put the IBFD map in Vanilla? I haven't done anything on IBUR and it would be fairly easy to copy the map in and paste IBUR over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    Hey could you guys tell me how to put the IBFD map in Vanilla? I haven't done anything on IBUR and it would be fairly easy to copy the map in and paste IBUR over it.
    From my experience it would be easier to take IBFD and mod it to the IBUR standard. Transferring campaign maps between different games proves difficult.

I've been playing my own mod of IBFD were I beefed up the Barbarian Hordes. Sort of works out and proved quite a struggle to root out all the Barbs. But I'm a little bored with having the Constantini in Gaul and Britain. This morning I got rid of them and put back the Romano-Brits into an emergent faction. I think I prefer the normal mechanics of the emergent Roman rebel factions. I was sort of hoping the three barbarian hordes I had in Gaul would wipe the Constantini out. But nope, they rarely sacked Constantini cities and came to attack the Po valley, either that or they would spend a lot of time in southern Gaul or the Pyrenees.

Now I think I want to set the game back to earlier in the reign of Honorius, Maybe 400 AD when Honorius was 16. I'd have to put the Barbs back across the Rhine and the Goths in the Balkans or Pannonia. Amazing that an Emperor so universally despised managed to stay in power for so long. The first major revolt was in Africa just prior to 400 AD. This was followed by the one in Britain with the army sent to quell the revolt in turn revolting itself. The WRE must have been rather stuck for cash paying the Army wages.