Thread: What happens if ypu attack the vatican as the Byzantine Empire?

Default What happens if ypu attack the vatican as the Byzantine Empire?

Hello guys, i know this may be a frequent question, but i have not found a good answer to my doubts.

So here is the thing, I recently started a campaign as the byzantines in late era and I just conquered a good amount of sicily´s territories, and as a consequence, the papal states is my new neighbor. Know, I know that if I attack a number of christian factions and dont bribe or try to keep the pope happy I will get crusaded to hell, but what happens if I engage in war directly with the Pope? do I get a crusade on constantinople the next turn? and if I manage to conquer rome and keep it, will the Pope call a crusade there? cant I low key bribe him off my back like with the other factions?

I dont know if this is the correct forum for posting this question and i apologize if that is the case

Judeman266's Avatar Senator

Default Re: What happens if ypu attack the vatican as the Byzantine Empire?

Quote Originally Posted by Baduiche View Post
    Hello guys, i know this may be a frequent question, but i have not found a good answer to my doubts.

So here is the thing, I recently started a campaign as the byzantines in late era and I just conquered a good amount of sicily´s territories, and as a consequence, the papal states is my new neighbor. Know, I know that if I attack a number of christian factions and dont bribe or try to keep the pope happy I will get crusaded to hell, but what happens if I engage in war directly with the Pope? do I get a crusade on constantinople the next turn? and if I manage to conquer rome and keep it, will the Pope call a crusade there? cant I low key bribe him off my back like with the other factions?

I dont know if this is the correct forum for posting this question and i apologize if that is the case
    Nothing happens, just regular politics. Anyway next time bite the bullet and do it. Stop waiting for reassurance from others that everything will be ok.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yeah I think you are right, gotta confront the fear of getting attacked by all the christian factions

Thanks for replying too

Be afraid man!
    If you sack Rome, the Pope will call down a curse upon you and your whole family will be stricken with leprosy!
    But, on the bright side, all the muslim nations will send you cake and candies
    Honest and truly, I AM Robin Hood!

Orthodox factions can't be crusaded on, so you're safe attacking Rome, though you probably will make a lot of enemies for it.

Virian's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Kataphractos View Post
    Orthodox factions can't be crusaded on, so you're safe attacking Rome, though you probably will make a lot of enemies for it.
    I can confirm that. In one of my roman campaigns I once got to war with the entire western world except HRE, and that was because I was feeding them 2k gold every 2 turns to not join the catholic world in trying to kill me while the Muslims were struggling for survival under my army's boots. Killing the pope and taking Rome will kinda make every single catholic faction to hate you.