Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: MAKEDONIA - HISTORICAL SOURCES

Manuel I Komnenos's Avatar Rex Regum
    Civitate

Default Re: MAKEDONIA - HISTORICAL SOURCES

Funny, I've been away for so long and these futile threads are still thriving!
    Under the patronage of Emperor Maximinus Thrax
    "Steps to be taken in case Russia should be forced out of war considered. Various movements [of ] troops to and from different fronts necessary to meeting possible contingencies discussed. Conference also weighed political, economic, and moral effect both upon Central and Allied powers under most unfavorable aspect from Allied point of view. General conclusions reached were necessity for adoption of purely defensive attitude on all secondary fronts and withdrawing surplus troops for duty on western front. By thus strengthening western front [those attending] believed Allies could hold until American forces arrive in numbers sufficient to gain ascendancy."
    ~General Pershing, report to Washington, 26 July 1917

I know I'm ridiculously late to the party on this thread and I don't want to be accused of bumping a dead thread but I'd just like to give my thanks to the OP for a really well researched and informative post on the subject.

At the risk of waking the dragon from its slumber I'd also like to say that it was both very funny and extremely sad reading the posts of Ferrets. It's a sobering thought that he may have 57,000+ posts of similar nonsense and disingenuous arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by perifanosEllinas
    I'm sure that you didn't bother reading the whole post,so go to the link I gave you and read all the sources.I have included sources there that clearly describe how the Makedonians were a Dorian Hellenic tribe that came from Argos and went to the area around Pindos and named it "Makedonia".I will not answer further to this propaganda
    According to your own sources, the Temenides, coming from Argos, settled in Macedonia where they subdued the local population. Fine, but the Temenides are not the Macedonians. It's just a dynasty that ruled over them. The motto of foreign dynasty ruling over native people is very frequent on Greek sources and usually inaccurate. But the point here is not to test if the myth is accurate or not. The myth is irrelevant as we are talking about the people that were called Macedonians and not the guys who established a kingdom. You see the difference? And finally what do you mean by propaganda? Did I claim that the Macedonians were Slavs, Turks or Maorii? I just doubted their Argos descedance.

Nothing reeks worse than the corpse of a long-dead thread freshly dug out.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MareNostrum

Garbarsardar's Avatar Et Slot i et slot
    Patrician Tribune Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

Quote Originally Posted by Dromikaites View Post
    Nothing reeks worse than the corpse of a long-dead thread freshly dug out.
    Indeed. Closed.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678