Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The historical pronunciation of Leonidas

kikokyle's Avatar Miles

Default The historical pronunciation of Leonidas

My friend is trying to tell me that pronouncing Leonidas his own way (like in '300') is his opinion, after I've shown him several sources.
    I show him several sources and he still wishes to believe the 300 way, it's just ignorance.
    Here's the copy and paste of my message to him:

BTW
    Λεωνίδης
    LAY-OH-KNEE-DUSS
    Or often LEE-ONI-DUSS
    http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=leonidas
    ^Here's a verbal example
    And here's a historical take on the Battle of Thermopylae, where people on the history channel say Leonidas a lot (includes footage from Rome Total War for dramatic purposes)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhgMn9rvn_Y

(Used sources on Google to verify how to pronounce his name.)

And I must add, even if his way is correct, he still fails to see any amount of proof in my sources I gave, and just blatantly ignores them.

Last edited by Darth Red; June 27, 2013 at 09:09 AM.
    FX 6100 4.1Ghz | ASUS M5A97 EVO | 16GB Crucial Sport Ballistix | HIS IceQ 7950 | Kingston Digital SSDNow V300 120GB | WD 1TB, Hitachi 500 GB | Thermaltake TR2 600W | Thermaltake Commander MSI Epic
    Favorite TW: Medieval 2 / Rome (XGM Mod) / Rome 2
    Favorite games: Praetorians (2003) / Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past / Final Fantasy X
    "A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool, because he has to say something." ~Plato

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Default Re: My friend...

It is not first time English has weird pronunciation of foreign words, for example "Caesar".
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Hobbes's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

English is well known for butchering other languages
    What happened to the p's in pterosaur and Ptolemy, people?! Get your **** straight! Seriously though, all languages alter words one way or the other to make them comptible with their well established rules of pronunciation and spelling.
    Last edited by Gigantus; June 27, 2013 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Adsense cleanup

Another example is "China"; the right pronunciation is "Chee-Na" but English has to butcher it (by the way French pronounce it as "Chee-Ne").
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.

Default Re: The historical pronunciation of Leonidas

The French just pronounce it /ʃin/. China and French "Chine" are derived from a Sanskrit word, which is thought to derive from the name of one of the ancient dynasties, namely the Qin.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes. View Post
    The French just pronounce it /ʃin/. China and French "Chine" are derived from a Sanskrit word, which is thought to derive from the name of one of the ancient dynasties, namely the Qin.
    The Sanskrit word actually pronounce as "Sina", and in fact is a geographic description of China.

China tones better.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

English is well known for butchering other languages
    What happened to the p's in pterosaur and Ptolemy, people?! Get your **** straight! Seriously though, all languages alter words one way or the other to make them comptible with their well established rules of pronunciation and spelling.
    I actually applaud English for ditching the attempt to say two completely different consonants together. I could never imagine trying to pronounce "Puh-Tohl-eh-mee". However, I hate the overuse of the 'c' as an 's' sound. The 'k' sound of Greek does actually sound better on the ears.
    Heir to Noble Savage in the Imperial House of Wilpuri

neoptolemos's Avatar Breatannach Romanus

Attic Greek: Leonides / Λεωνίδης λέων (lion) -ίδης ( son of )
    Pronounced as leh- ohh-ne- thees ( th as in the)
    Doric and Northwestern Greek including Macedonian : Leonidas / Λεωνίδας
    Pronounciation: leh-ohh-ne-thas
    Quem faz injúria vil e sem razão,Com forças e poder em que está posto,Não vence; que a vitória verdadeira É saber ter justiça nua e inteira-He who, solely to oppress,Employs or martial force, or power, achieves No victory; but a true victory Is gained,when justice triumphs and prevails.
    Luís de Camões

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    It is not first time English has weird pronunciation of foreign words, for example "Caesar".
    I feel like when properly applying the English language you should generally try to transliterate the letters of foreign words directly into Latin ones, then pronounce them without regard for the native dialect. If there aren't written letters, then you have to rely on phonetically translating their sounds into the most close English version and then pronouncing it in your normal English dialect.

I always feel like people are doing it wrong when the try to use foreign pronunciations. "Look at me I can say Pakistan like a Pakistani, I'm so diverse."

It's not Pach-ee-stahn. It's Pack-Is-Tan.

Therefore we should say Keys-are, not Seizer.

Lee-Oh-Nie-Das!

The sounds change to suit the speaker's whims.
    Last edited by Col. Tartleton; June 30, 2013 at 07:55 PM.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

Quote Originally Posted by neoptolemos View Post
    Attic Greek: Leonides / Λεωνίδης λέων (lion) -ίδης ( son of )
    Pronounced as leh- ohh-ne- thees ( th as in the)
    Doric and Northwestern Greek including Macedonian : Leonidas / Λεωνίδας
    Pronounciation: leh-ohh-ne-thas
    No and no, I'm afraid. You are applying modern Greek pronunciation rules to the words and it just screws it up.
    Attic: /leɔːndɛːs/
    Doric: /leɔːndaːs/

Click on each symbol to see what it sounds like. The ː symbol shows length and the accent above the "i" shows a higher pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Future Filmmaker View Post
    I actually applaud English for ditching the attempt to say two completely different consonants together. I could never imagine trying to pronounce "Puh-Tohl-eh-mee". However, I hate the overuse of the 'c' as an 's' sound. The 'k' sound of Greek does actually sound better on the ears.
    If you can pronounce "apt" correctly then you can definitely say the "p" in Ptolemy
    In all seriousness, no native English words start with "pt" so not pronouncing the "p" makes perfect sense.

In general I'm not bothered by it, though English pronunciation of Russian words/place names is often comically bad, especially in movies where it's supposed to sound flawless or native (like Hunt for Red October).

Sometimes it bothers me though. The American pronunciation of Tunisia is particularly grating to my ears. It's all subjective though.

No and no, I'm afraid. You are applying modern Greek pronunciation rules to the words and it just screws it up.
    Attic: /leɔːndɛːs/
    Doric: /leɔːndaːs/
    No, I didn't use modern Greek pronunciation rules but the Ancient ones.I simply used the syllables as pronounced in google translator (although the long o of omega and η still are not fully pronounced...).Try it your self.
    Last edited by neoptolemos; July 01, 2013 at 03:31 AM.
    Quem faz injúria vil e sem razão,Com forças e poder em que está posto,Não vence; que a vitória verdadeira É saber ter justiça nua e inteira-He who, solely to oppress,Employs or martial force, or power, achieves No victory; but a true victory Is gained,when justice triumphs and prevails.
    Luís de Camões

Well you still said delta sounds like "th".

Well you still said delta sounds like "th".
    Oh yes I stand corrected, it is indeed D, "th" is a hellenistic development.
    Last edited by neoptolemos; July 01, 2013 at 07:42 AM.
    Luís de Camões

Yeah, same with theta and others. Really interesting how the sounds changed so much.

Yeah, same with theta and others. Really interesting how the sounds changed so much.
    You are absolutely right and it is not a coincidence that this has a major phase in Hellenistic times.But then again isn't that an occurrence in almost all languages?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbjqzWex1uw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPlpphT7n9s
    Luís de Camões

Latin languages are by far the hardest of European languages for me to reproduce with my voice. I can't roll the "r"s or do the "n"s they do. Although it would be more practical for me to learn Spanish because it so widespread where I live, I just can't do it. German is much easier for me to pronounce, though many other Americans find German harsh on the ears for some reason. Spanish and French bug me more. Slavic and Hungarian accents are just bad-ass though.

Something funny, but a lot of Hispanics seem to mistake Greeks for Latins and will try to speak Spanish to them. To the untrained ear, Greek does sound very flowery as Latin languages do with the way vowels are pronounced. But Greek is far prettier, imo.

I am curious though as to how American English sounds to other people. I've been told they hear a lot of "er" and "ess".
    Heir to Noble Savage in the Imperial House of Wilpuri

Ha you ve got a point because in my personal experience in Britain, in Paris and in Italy everybody thought I was Spanish and were trying to speak Spanish to me.
    I ve been told that at least phonetically they perceive Greek to be similar to Spanish.
    Personally i quite enjoy Romanesque languages, they all look rather pleasant for my ears and (I can speak Italian quite easily-well the few I know)
    Last edited by neoptolemos; July 02, 2013 at 07:31 AM.
    Luís de Camões

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    The Sanskrit word actually pronounce as "Sina", and in fact is a geographic description of China.
    It's actually cīṇa (चीन) in Sanskrit. Which in English would be pronounced as chee'n. And i agree with the latter part.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast